Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

"can you hear me?"
"yes, it's crystal clear, it's like you're in the room with us"
"hold on, i'm sorry if there's a bunch of static"
"no, don't worry, we can hear you fine"
"i've ducked into a room but it's still pretty noisy..."
"you sound fine"
"there are some people walking by right now"
"we can't hear them, we can only hear you"
"i'm on this iphone headset so my apologies"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

had two back to back skype for business meetings today

first one was running a few minutes over so people for the second meeting joined as the first one was finishing

new attendees had full audio, but were unable to see desktop screen sharing and original remaining presenters had to leave and rejoin for them to be able to see anything

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i use https://appear.in/ for my 8 person or less webinars. i'm also calling all calls webinars.

it works.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Hey, can we get back to the topic at hand, hilarious bug magazine puns?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

maniacdevnull posted:

Hey, can we get back to the topic at hand, hilarious bug magazine puns?

caterpillar fancy

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also we had a regular dialin and nobody dialed so the people on the line had to text us to tell us they were waiting for ten minutes

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

dr buzz's rapid regurgitation diet

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

we delayed the meeting with 15 minutes of loving around so we could look at some pasty engineers on the webcam, then turned it off within 2 minutes and went audio only

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
a customer calls at nine pm on the day before New Year's Eve

"hey can we use your phone bridge, we have an emergency and I can't find the pass code to ours."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FrozenVent posted:

a customer calls at nine pm on the day before New Year's Eve

"hey can we use your phone bridge, we have an emergency and I can't find the pass code to ours."

loving Smooth

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
the formal announcement was just made: our Webex poo poo gets turned off on the 30th and after that everyone will be required to use Skype for web conferencing.

which, as I've stated a few times before, appears not to permit people outside of our company (including people at our divisions) from seeing the screen share stuff... a massive problem for a parent company IT department that coordinates with our divisions and outsourced developers all day, every day.

i have to admit, all day i've been in a pretty deep pit of depression, but i am now very nearly gleeful at being able to witness the upcoming and inevitable freakout as all online meetings across the whole organization become total clusterfucks.

valar morgulis

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

skype for business online works fine for that, sorry about your lovely messaging team

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Thanks Ants posted:

skype for business online works fine for that, sorry about your lovely messaging team

thanks, it's a daily struggle but i do what i can to keep my chin up

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

incoming trainwrecks that you can see coming a mile off and are nowhere near being your responsibility to resolve are great though, i agree

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Thanks Ants posted:

incoming trainwrecks that you can see coming a mile off and are nowhere near being your responsibility to resolve are great though, i agree

liked and shared in chat but not visible tp those with fullscreen during screen shares

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

working from home so i called in to the "standup"

cant hear poo poo

pretty happy about that

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
big monthly meeting was greeted by all sorts of background noises today, including what sounded like a drill, someone's dog, a kid throwing a tantrum, and heavy mouthbreathing.

if hell exists, there are no mute buttons there
also i am in hell

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you need a cat for bingo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I made sure to test out my mute so I could talk poo poo about the meeting to the room

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

polycom vvx phones with the skype firmware join skype conferences muted by default. the best feature a phone has ever had.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

yeah its actually pretty cool how meetings w/ external people work cause you click a link and then ur connected to them via your already logged in skype for b client. screen sharing and all that works the same. the only problem is that it encourages people to use their computers for call ins and lots of people have poo poo mics/connections.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

polycom vvx phones with the skype firmware join skype conferences muted by default. the best feature a phone has ever had.

the skype for b client does this as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

its a shame that it is complete poo poo at text based im

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah. I just now realized I can IM people who also have skype for b in other orgs. if the IM client wasn't so bad this would be the best chat/conference system

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

yeah. I just now realized I can IM people who also have skype for b in other orgs.

:aaa:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can control it but I guess its enabled by default

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Shaggar posted:

you can control it but I guess its enabled by default

(CHECKS TITLE TO MAKE SURE SHE'S NOT READING THE SECFUCK THREAD.)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol we should have yosskype4b.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ungh Microsoft this is the best product with the worst UI. fix this pleaeaaasse

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

it cannot handle text chat if you have more than one device. the use case of starting a chat on a phone and then getting back to your desk and wanting to continue it is not one they considered.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

it cannot handle text chat if you have more than one device. the use case of starting a chat on a phone and then getting back to your desk and wanting to continue it is not one they considered.

it cant even handle text chat if you have one device

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

that is true. if you need to text chat then you're better off starting a video conference and pointing a webcam at your screen. loving up text chat in 2016.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I either get everything on both clients or random parts on one client. it definitely doesn't take client status (screen lock/location/etc...) into consideration.

I like when you get a new I'm and click on the alert and then you're confused because theres nothing there but you remember "oh, skype" and you scroll down to get the message.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
then when I get home all the missed chat notifications on my phone get replayed to my windows 10 computors.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
merge skype and skepy for business. make skype part of windows with support foir multiple accounts. keep all chat sessions server side w/ the clients as dumb terminals.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

they were trying to set up a new conference call software in the room across the hall from my office. there were at least two microphone/speaker setups sitting right next to each other, and the feedback noise sounded like space alien bleep blorps

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lync tight skepy

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
one of my coworkers hasn't gotten the memo about the office shutting down Webex, so i'm sitting on hold with the old bridge for perhaps that last time.

she hasn't disabled the warcrime-level bad music on it.

i'm almost glad to be able to say goodbye to this pile of musical shite.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Nothing is worse than adobe connect

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i use https://appear.in/ for my 8 person or less webinars. i'm also calling all calls webinars.

it works.

Doesn't work if you have more than one person behind double nat.

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

"we really need you in this one hour call" *says hello and is muted for remaining 59 minutes*

• Locked thread