Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Weird pricing model but that's super cool, I wonder how I can get them to install it at my rink. It seems like it might be difficult in the kinds of rinks that don't have stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
worth the investment when you get your nhl signing bonus

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I would pay to watch the carnage that takes place in the lovely bruiser murder league HZ plays in.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

I would pay to watch the carnage that takes place in the lovely bruiser murder league HZ plays in.

I used to GoPro all our games. Until I got sick of making fight highlight tapes all the time.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Our 1½-year (going in to 2nd winter league like me) goalie just bailed on us to jump from Div 7 to Div 3b 5 and tried to sell us on a 60+ year old replacement who literally can't play butterfly because his dusty ol' hips will explode as a replacement for him :corsair:.

:rip: our winter season before it even began.

edit: correction on the divs above. Mostly I'm just a little annoyed he's trying to dump the old guy on us after we had already talked about moving the old defenseman (which he's responsible for bringing to the team) around for him AND subbing in half of a season with our biggest competitor. :argh:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 9, 2016

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

prom candy posted:

Weird pricing model but that's super cool
Yah, I think it must be geared towards youth coaches and crazy parents. Although considering adult league players regularly don't bat an eye at blowing $100 on different color gloves, I'm sure they'll get a lot of subscribers. Just think of all the beer leaguers who post their stats on Facebook after every game. Now they'll be able to also share the video of their sweet end-to-end dangles!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Loqieu posted:

blowing $100 on different color gloves

Stop bullying me

E:

Oh, I came here to post that the goalie we use passed out last night because his new gear keeps in all of the heat.

When he came to I told him i'd never seen him save so many goals and that he should patent the technique. I don't think he's very happy with me :(

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 9, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

dogstile posted:

Stop bullying me

E:

Oh, I came here to post that the goalie we use passed out last night because his new gear keeps in all of the heat.

When he came to I told him i'd never seen him save so many goals and that he should patent the technique. I don't think he's very happy with me :(

Tell him to get some Under Armour. That poo poo helps me stay cool.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Loqieu posted:

Yah, I think it must be geared towards youth coaches and crazy parents. Although considering adult league players regularly don't bat an eye at blowing $100 on different color gloves, I'm sure they'll get a lot of subscribers. Just think of all the beer leaguers who post their stats on Facebook after every game. Now they'll be able to also share the video of their sweet end-to-end dangles!

Yeah honestly I probably would buy it if I could watch every game in my poo poo-tier league. Gotta get that intel.

Took my my new skates with new profile and new hollow out for the second time yesterday, I'm really liking them. I feel like the new profile forces me into a lower stance, and my weak side stop feels WAY better. It takes a bit more effort to stop on a dime with the shallower hollow but especially on the lovely summer ice I'm catching way fewer edges. For as long as I've been playing I can expect to catch an edge and wipe at least once per game, hopefully those days are behind me now. Being in skates that are actually closer to the right size is nice too.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Vargatron posted:

Tell him to get some Under Armour. That poo poo helps me stay cool.

Our goalie uses TMNT PJ pants so try that too

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

doctor 7 posted:

Our goalie uses TMNT PJ pants so try that too

Our wears zubazs. What the hell is wrong with goalies?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

calandryll posted:

Our wears zubazs. What the hell is wrong with goalies?

Cumulative concussions.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Vargatron posted:

Cumulative concussions.

I think it takes a special type to be a goalie. Or at least from what I've gathered from my limited exposure to them.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

calandryll posted:

I think it takes a special type to be a goalie. Or at least from what I've gathered from my limited exposure to them.

It's a certain amount of crazy, from what I've gathered. I'm wanting to try it, so my level of crazy.

Not quite Pole Vaulter crazy. Pole vaulters have a death wish. Source: seven different pole vaulters.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

YeehawMcKickass posted:

It's a certain amount of crazy, from what I've gathered. I'm wanting to try it, so my level of crazy.

Not quite Pole Vaulter crazy. Pole vaulters have a death wish. Source: seven different pole vaulters.

Goalies start off crazy. Then you add repeated head impacts and you land up with Ron Hextall.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
So my wife and I went to the grand opening of Warrior Ice Arena (the Bruins' new practice facility in Boston) this weekend. It was pretty cool overall, we got into the first skate of the day, saw some Bruins players (Kevan Miller, Noel Acciari, and Riley Nash, no big stars) playing ping pong and cornhole. Took a lot of pictures, but other than skate there wasn't really anything to do, so we walked to a hipster brunch place, had some beers, and walked back.

When we got back to our car there was something under the windshield wiper, and we assumed it was another promo flyer (they're doing public skating, stick time, and leagues eventually). But, when I opened it, there were two preseason tickets to a game vs. the Red Wings and a card thanking us for visiting, signed by David Krejci. None of the other cars had them, so we were honestly confused if they were real. We posted pictures on Instagram, and the Bruins' official account messaged us congrats. Apparently they were just handed out randomly (mostly to little kids, it looked like from their Twitter).

I guess this isn't really "hockey player" related, exactly, but there ya go. v:shobon:v

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Brettbot posted:

I guess this isn't really "hockey player" related, exactly, but there ya go. v:shobon:v

:hf:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Condolences for having to watch the red wings though.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I think that's where I'll be doing the draft tournament in March.

First game of the new season last night. Felt good to play non pick up hockey. Did injure myself with my own stick. Took a wrister and on the follow through caught the blade on their D. The way it caught I speared myself with the blunt end and he got the blade end. Definitely felt it flex on my rib.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Watched a buddy's C league game last night and apparently one of his teammates got benched for a "bad penalty kill". That and he apparently caused a too many men penalty.

It's loving rec league and people are getting benched?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Who takes rec league that seriously :psyduck:

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Well, to make it more related: The website says they'll have "adult and corporate leagues" coming soon. What are corporate leagues?

xzzy posted:

Condolences for having to watch the red wings though.

And in preseason, too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vargatron posted:

Watched a buddy's C league game last night and apparently one of his teammates got benched for a "bad penalty kill". That and he apparently caused a too many men penalty.

I got kicked off a bottom tier team like two years ago for not being good enough, people loving want to win dammit.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Now people on my D League team are complaining that the jerseys that we ordered are "too expensive" at $25 a piece and with 75% of that cost being absorbed by the guy sponsoring our team.

I just want to stop loving pucks and not deal with children, is that too much to ask?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like a hefty jail sentence to me, you definitely need to stop loving pucks.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

gently caress man... I got put on this registry and I can't drink beer in the park anymore... loving sucks.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

Now people on my D League team are complaining that the jerseys that we ordered are "too expensive" at $25 a piece and with 75% of that cost being absorbed by the guy sponsoring our team.

I just want to stop loving pucks and not deal with children, is that too much to ask?

Tangentially, I've trying to figure out the best cost price for the HockeyTron NYI jerseys to get applique'd/embroidered.

TallyHockey did a full set of 15 for about $1100k. A follow up batch of 6 was about $460. Sadly the jersey selection is limited.

The NYI Tron jerseys were 12 bux steal a pop for a total of about $250 (but only came in M/L/XXL). So far the logo alone costs between $700 and $1900 for the set, and the name/numbers tacking on an additional $300 to $500.

Even vinyl/screen printing is pretty high, between $600 and $800 for logo/name/number.

Maybe it's location but I'm in the heart of Texas surrounded by high school football, you'd think jersey shops would more competitive.

Basically, poo poo's expensive.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Tally hockey did a pretty good job for us:

Unfortunately, we look better than we play.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Thel posted:

Goalies start off crazy. Then you add repeated head impacts and you land up with Ron Hextall.

You wind up being better GM than Paul Holmgren?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

calandryll posted:

Tally hockey did a pretty good job for us:

Unfortunately, we look better than we play.

Aye, it's looking like it'll be cheaper to just have Tally make the numbers and logos and ship them to me to put on the jerseys, than it would to have it done locally. Best price I've gotten around here for applique/embroidery is $1900 for everything.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I think we paid 1500 for 20 jerseys. Name and numbers as well. Came out to be about 70 per person but it feels like a quality jersey.

lil critter
May 28, 2013
A friend of mine from my hockey clinic and I are going to be in Toronto this month and we were wondering what the best place for a public skate is. We'll probably be looking to skate on a weekend. We're plenty used to bad ice and mob scenes full of screaming children being from NYC, and any help would be much appreciated!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Vargatron posted:

Who has that many skaters that this is an option?

xzzy posted:

I got kicked off a bottom tier team like two years ago for not being good enough, people loving want to win dammit.

Yea our team picked up a guy who got kicked off last year's beginner team for not being good enough. They lied about having too many people since they picked up a ringer or two in off-season. They're basically paying the guy off by buying him our team's jerseys, because I think in HNA you're not allowed to kick people off for not being good enough.

Vargatron posted:

Only $25 bucks for a jersey? That's an amazing price.

For the record, and ties into the point about the player above, our jerseys were really loving expensive because we went all out on that bullshit and I think our one jersey was like $70 all said and done.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

New team hasn't even played our first game (we had an hour of ice last night to get to know each other though, which was pretty cool) and a few guys already talking about the extravagant jerseys they want to buy. I get that's part of the fun to make an identity and put it out there, but our player fee already cover buying a jersey, the rink is giving them to us with numbers on them, and there's no guarantee that this group will stick together past one session yet. They might, but who knows what's going to happen in 6 months?

I've been skating for five years now and have more jerseys than I know what to do with, I don't want even more clutter in my closet.

It's also my firm stance that the cheapest jerseys are the best because they're paper thin and it feels good when the breeze cuts through them.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
In other try-hard news, these D-league (beginner league) guys won the summer session at the rink where I play and they are being ridiculous https://www.facebook.com/Themightydrunks/

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Verman posted:

About 5 years ago, Kent arena would record games and then you watch in the bar after. I'm guessing that guy left/got fired and their bar is terrible ao they stopped.

I've also seen on YouTube other teams record games and post them there. Lumberjacks I think posted them regularly.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

xzzy posted:

New team hasn't even played our first game (we had an hour of ice last night to get to know each other though, which was pretty cool) and a few guys already talking about the extravagant jerseys they want to buy.

Also make sure that whatever loving jersey they buy, the style isn't so unique that it is only (affordably) made by one jersey manufacturer :argh:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Tank44 posted:

I've also seen on YouTube other teams record games and post them there. Lumberjacks I think posted them regularly.

Yeah the GSHL version of Strange Brews has a guy who records all their games and posts 'em on youtube as well; complete with "commentary" :v:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

recidivist posted:

A friend of mine from my hockey clinic and I are going to be in Toronto this month and we were wondering what the best place for a public skate is. We'll probably be looking to skate on a weekend. We're plenty used to bad ice and mob scenes full of screaming children being from NYC, and any help would be much appreciated!

Where in Toronto?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lil critter
May 28, 2013

prom candy posted:

Where in Toronto?

We're staying some place in Bloordale Village, but we're totally willing to go to places further out (though I know how sprawling Toronto is from past trips where a car was handy)