Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Overheard yesterday: "I really shouldn't buy any more, I'm already up to $1000 on sunglasses this month."

It's the 10th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
The truth about horses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iSb5-X_2do

wake up sheeple

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dr. Chaco posted:

Overheard yesterday: "I really shouldn't buy any more, I'm already up to $1000 on sunglasses this month."

It's the 10th.

:shepface: Summer is almost over why are...

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

:shepface: Summer is almost over why are...

Maybe they live in Calforn...

BWM

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
This painfully bad car transaction came up in another thread, so I thought I'd include it for those who've never seen it:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2873673&userid=81627

quote:

It was the last day of school, May of '07. I took the bus to the closest Nissan dealership and couldn't wait to buy first car, a fully loaded and brand new 2007 Altima 3.5SL. I got a great deal on it, too ... we decided the best thing to do was for me to "Smart Buy" the vehicle ...

So I call up NMAC (Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation), and they tell me the total cost to buyout the car would be $23,000. That means the total price of the car would be over $40,000.

[The car salesman] told me the buyout price added to the downpayment would equal the total price. Now, on the phone with him, he tells me that I'm not factoring in the monthly payments. "Of course the monthly payments would factor into the total price, what did you think those were going towards?" ...

I googled what the "Smart Buy" lease is...

Dr. Chaco posted:

It's the 10th.

"This" month.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dr. Chaco posted:

It's the 10th.

This really makes me wonder what's going on. I have a pair of expensive sunglasses and they didn't cost anywhere close to that. How many pairs of sunglasses does this person wear at once? How many eyes do they have?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Devian666 posted:

This really makes me wonder what's going on. I have a pair of expensive sunglasses and they didn't cost anywhere close to that. How many pairs of sunglasses does this person wear at once? How many eyes do they have?

Probably similar to some women and shoes.

Got a whole room dedicated to shoes/sunglasses, and never actually wear the vast majority of them.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hoarders gonna hoard.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The only thing I can think of where that would make sense would be a person with no vision insurance buying two pairs of fancy prescription sunglasses.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

El Mero Mero posted:

The only thing I can think of where that would make sense would be a person with no vision insurance buying two pairs of fancy prescription sunglasses.

Yeah but you don't have to buy two pairs of prescription glasses every drat month.

Sidenote: I work for an eye clinic and get one pair of free glasses every year and all additional glasses at cost. It's pretty great. I could also get free LASIK if I wanted.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Probably similar to some women and shoes.

Got a whole room dedicated to shoes/sunglasses, and never actually wear the vast majority of them.

A couple months ago my wife came back from a bachelorette party in Florida with a brand new Michael Kors purse. I guess her friend who lives down there was getting rid of like two dozen designer purses and told the group "take what you want, I'm donating the rest to Goodwill." This same friend apparently also has a shoe room in her new West Palm Beach house.

My wife said that her friend complained about her credit card debt a couple times over the course of the weekend and it was all the rest of the group could do to not grab her by the shirt and shake some sense into her.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The latest edition of New York Times being out of touch, Why You Should Tell Your Children How Much You Make

The advice in the article is reasonable but the examples are plucked from the top tier of income earners:

quote:

(20 years ago)When Scott Parker wanted his six offspring to know more about the value of money, he decided to do something that many parents would consider radical: show them exactly what he earned.

One day, he stopped by his local Wells Fargo branch in Encinitas, Calif., and asked to withdraw his entire monthly salary in cash. In singles. It took 24 hours for the tellers to round up that many bills, so he returned the next day and took away the $100 stacks in a canvas bag.

His oldest son, Daniel, who was 15 at the time, remembers the moment his father walked into the house and dumped the $10,000 or so on a table.

In 1996, the dad's annual pay would be the equivalent to $182,078.44 in 2016 money.

The audience sample consists of terrible children:

quote:

Here’s the bigger problem this helps to solve: Money is a source of mystery to children. They sense its power, so they ask questions, lots of them, over many years. Why isn’t our house as big as my cousin’s? Why can’t I have a carnivorous plant terrarium? Why should I respect my teachers if they earn only $60,000 per year?

The comment section points out that $60k is twice the starting salary of many teachers. Other examples from the article including finding the money for ballet lessons and $92 each day to send kids to private school.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Sidenote: I work for an eye clinic and get one pair of free glasses every year and all additional glasses at cost. It's pretty great. I could also get free LASIK if I wanted.
Just a question, why would you not get free LASIK? I had PRK which is a super loving painful version of it and it was still one of the best things I've done healthwise.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Not them, but as another glasses-wearer:

If you wear glasses long enough, it's really hard to see them as a burden instead of a thing you get a pair of every so often, like shoes. You might also just like the look of them on you.

And LASIK still has risks, which may or may not be worth it to you even if you can get it for free.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 12, 2016

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Haifisch posted:

Not them, but as another glasses-wearer:

If you wear glasses long enough, it's really hard to see them as a burden instead of a thing you get a pair of every so often, like shoes. You might also just like the look of them on you.

And LASIK still has risks, which may or may not be worth it to you even if you can get it for free.
Yeah I can understand the first part; I never felt them as anything but annoying. That being said it is very much statistically safe now as best as I can tell, and at the clinic I went to every staff member had the procedure save one lady who had a left eye prescription of -15.

Also to keep it relevant it's pretty BWM though - a pure luxury. I've heard some people say it's worth it financially compared to glasses but I can only see that math working if you buy a ton of glasses. Though not 1K a month I suppose.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah I can understand the first part; I never felt them as anything but annoying. That being said it is very much statistically safe now as best as I can tell, and at the clinic I went to every staff member had the procedure save one lady who had a left eye prescription of -15.

Also to keep it relevant it's pretty BWM though - a pure luxury. I've heard some people say it's worth it financially compared to glasses but I can only see that math working if you buy a ton of glasses. Though not 1K a month I suppose.

The risk isn't so much that you become blind. The odds are very favourable for that. The main risk is that of minor complications, which runs at approximately 20% if I recall correctly.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Mojo Threepwood posted:

The latest edition of New York Times being out of touch, Why You Should Tell Your Children How Much You Make

The advice in the article is reasonable but the examples are plucked from the top tier of income earners:

In 1996, the dad's annual pay would be the equivalent to $182,078.44 in 2016 money.

The audience sample consists of terrible children:

The comment section points out that $60k is twice the starting salary of many teachers. Other examples from the article including finding the money for ballet lessons and $92 each day to send kids to private school.

I'm not really sure how dumping giant sacks of $1 bills on a table and saying "I make this much every month" teaches children the value of money. It sounds like it would do the opposite.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Enfys posted:

I'm not really sure how dumping giant sacks of $1 bills on a table and saying "I make this much every month" teaches children the value of money. It sounds like it would do the opposite.

Because making them do chores for money would be parenting. And we can't have that now, can we?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I find my glasses to be a giant burden but my eyes are so bad I literally cannot function without them to the point that finding my glasses is a problem if they're not on.

Also I run a lot and running with them on sucks. Yeah there's contacts but they make my eyes tired. What I'm saying is not everyone likes it, even after 25 years or so

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 12, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

VendaGoat posted:

Because making them do chores for money would be parenting. And we can't have that now, can we?

Some people say that chores for money is bad because it makes helping out something that kids do for money instead of doing it because they are part of the family. But I don't have kids so idk.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nail Rat posted:

I find my glasses to be a giant burden but my eyes are so bad I literally cannot function without them to the point that finding my glasses is a problem if they're not on.

Also I run a lot and running with them on sucks. Yeah there's contacts but they make my eyes tired. What I'm saying is not everyone likes it, even after 25 years or so

have you considered Kareem/horace grant goggles

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

But I don't have kids

Wrong thread, fella

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Moneyball posted:

Wrong thread, fella

Damnit you're right.

BWM: Big dogs. My 9 year old lab/great dane mix started getting up slower and more awkwardly a couple months ago and so now he's on doggy ibuprofen which is $50 a month from the vet or $35 a month online. That's on top of the $40 a month for food.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

Before I got LASIK I made the mistake of looking for experiences online. So many horror stories. The worst story I found was a guy who got severe retina scarring, multiple surgeries, and incredible amounts of pain and suffering only to...keep wearing glasses. The worst example put the guy in the same spot he was before the surgery. So there are still risks, but even if poo poo goes bad you're not going to be blind.

I keep waiting for my eyes to degrade, but it's been 10 years and I've still got 20/20 vision. I've probably saved $3k in that time frame, even after subtracting the cost of the surgery, eye drops, and all those awesome non-prescription sunglasses I get to buy off the rack. I do need reading glasses though. [/humblebrag]

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Damnit you're right.

BWM: Big dogs. My 9 year old lab/great dane mix started getting up slower and more awkwardly a couple months ago and so now he's on doggy ibuprofen which is $50 a month from the vet or $35 a month online. That's on top of the $40 a month for food.
Just buy a $5 bottle at the pharmacy and give it to your dog at the right dose. It's the same thing.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

cowofwar posted:

Just buy a $5 bottle at the pharmacy and give it to your dog at the right dose. It's the same thing.

BWM: Poisoning your dog

http://canigivemydog.com/ibuprofen
http://www.petmd.com/dog/centers/nutrition/evr_dg_pain-medication-for-dogs
http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/ibuprofen/
https://www.vets-now.com/pet-owners/dog-care-advice/ibuprofen-toxicity-and-dogs/
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/20/how-the-doctor-almost-killed-her-dog/?_r=0

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The silicorn valley

Silicon Prarie.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

mastershakeman posted:

have you considered Kareem/horace grant goggles

I don't think I could pull it off because I'm not black and bald :(

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Nail Rat posted:

I don't think I could pull it off because I'm not black and bald :(

Maybe if you applied yourself you could be.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

It probably goes without saying that, if you're going to strike out on your own and make a medicine substitution, be drat sure you're using the precise compound and dosage of the original recommendation. It's possible the dog is getting carprofen or some other NSAID prescribed, which you could then see if you can find more cheaply by scientific name.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Since Great Danes are basically just slobbery horses I wouldn't say owning one is much better with money.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
They also have very low physical exercise needs and super short lifespans.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I had LASEK done in 2010. Did all the sums, working out what my contact lenses were costing per month vs. cost of surgery from then until when your vision will start to naturally degrade anyway...

...started wearing glasses again just before Christmas last year, after catching myself squinting at roadsigns :(

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I got my LASIK done in 1998, which ended up being very GWM. I had just started employment with state government, during the final month that our insurance covered the LASIK procedure with only a $100 copay. Still have 20/20 vision nearly 20 years later.

BWM version: My (now) wife was also a state employee at the time, but was too scared to get the surgery. She has spent thousands on glasses and contacts since then.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

LASIK is the single best $5k I've ever spent. BWM? Maybe, but it being GWL far outweighs the cost.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
How old were you when you had it done and how stable was your vision?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I was 22, near-sighted with an astigmatism, and my vision had been slowly but steadily declining since I first got glasses as a child. I haven't noticed any drop off in my vision since then.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I've asked my current and previous ophthalmologists about LASIK, mostly out of curiosity rather than a burning desire to have it done. Both of them recommended against it until my correction has been stable for at least 5 years. I'd be really hesitant to take the plunge before then.

My dad got LASIK in his mid 40s after many years of a stable correction, and now in his mid 50s he finds that he more and more often feels the need to wear glasses, especially when doing things like driving and reading. He also gets some noticeable glare/halos/starbursts around light sources at night time. He doesn't necessarily regret LASIK but he doesn't really give it a resounding recommendation, either. Granted his operation was like 10 years ago, not sure how much it has improved since then.

I'll stick with glasses and contacts for now, they really don't bother me much. I don't want to gently caress up my one set of eyeballs. :shobon:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
being born with 20/10 vision that hasn't deteriorated in 30 years is GWM and GWUSAF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wickerman posted:

How old were you when you had it done and how stable was your vision?

31 I think and it had been stable for years and years wearing contacts. I was basically blind and couldn't read my alarm clock in the middle of the night.

Guinness posted:

My dad got LASIK in his mid 40s after many years of a stable correction, and now in his mid 50s he finds that he more and more often feels the need to wear glasses, especially when doing things like driving and reading. He also gets some noticeable glare/halos/starbursts around light sources at night time. He doesn't necessarily regret LASIK but he doesn't really give it a resounding recommendation, either. Granted his operation was like 10 years ago, not sure how much it has improved since then.

This is all completely normal. I was also told that in my mid-40s-ish, I may need reading glasses. I had halos at night with my contacts and I still have them, just not as bad.

• Locked thread