Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Treat you like a human being??? But you work in the service industry, you low-wage mouth-breathing vacuum of useful space! Get a college degree, you piece of human slime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Brawnfire posted:

Oh man, that last part is a pet peeve of mine: the people who somehow lucked into a steady weekday business-hours job with weekends and actual holidays off, and can't conceive of anybody having to work nights, weekends, holidays. I have one group of friends that are all in fields that work normal hours like that, so they always get together on Saturdays, which I almost always have to work. I haven't seen them in a long-rear end time because of it. They COULD do Sunday too, which I usually have off... but they just don't. Oh well.

"somehow lucked into"? M-F, normal business hours jobs are, uh, neither rare nor obtainable only by fortune.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Noctone posted:

"somehow lucked into"? M-F, normal business hours jobs are, uh, neither rare nor obtainable only by fortune.

Hmm weird you mean my irritable phrasing regarding a peeve might not be objectively accurate for all cases?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Also lol at you being peeved at that group of friends for not making you the gravity well of their social plans.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Or maybe my pet peeve could be how quickly some folks get up on your nuts when you're just venting your spleen on a pet peeve thread.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I definitely feel like I lucked into an office job, weekends are magical

My best friend is a retail manager and I hardly ever see him unless we plan it like two weekends in advance, it's shite

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Noctone posted:

Also lol at you being peeved at that group of friends for not making you the gravity well of their social plans.

Oh come on give the guy a break. I've got a regular job too, but understand that if I want to hang with my bff sometimes things get scheduled oddly due to his husband's wacky hours.

Bast Relief has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Sep 12, 2016

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I've worked retail for 11 years (:suicide:) and people still don't get that I need warning to plan poo poo on a weekend. Especially of a night.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My peeve about working retail is that people assume all you need is a college degree to not work retail anymore. Like, a real degree, none of this Underwater Basketweaving poo poo. That is so all it takes, right?

No. And gently caress you if you have never worked retail or food service. gently caress poo poo should be mandatory for two years for everyone.

To be fair, if you were a certified underwater basketweaver you would probably make bank.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

Noctone posted:

Okay, but not everyone can, or wants to, work that kind of job, and a large percentage of people have jobs with different hours. The problem isn't having odd hours, it's having people who assume you can take a weekend off with little or no notice, but if you dare to ask them to hang out on a Thursday they look at you like you're insane. My job is not somehow less important than someone else's just because my schedule is unpredictable. In Brawnfire's case, the group could easily switch their hangout day to include him.

Sorry, but when I repeatedly tell friends/family that I can't do spur-of-the-moment poo poo on weekends and their response is "ok I guess we'll just stop inviting you," the message I get is that they weren't that interested in having me there in the first place.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
It sounds like you need new friends/family.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Whenever I ask for an espresso at work the canteen lady seems to really emphasise it as eXpresso. I can't tell if she is trying to (in)correct my pronunciation or what.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

FELD1 posted:

It sounds like you need new friends/family.

Yes but that's a separate pet peeve :)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I worked at a restaurant for a few months and the schedule really sucks. You work all holidays and some days start at 5am. gently caress hospitality.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
"god has his ways"
"god has a plan"
"[ bad thing ] was a sign from god for [ x ] reason"
"[ x ] will be punished in the afterlife"
"god will look after you if you act good"

I just think of those studies that show that people who are prayed for when in hospital do significantly worse than people who aren't prayed for.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Cowslips Warren posted:

My peeve about working retail is that people assume all you need is a college degree to not work retail anymore.

No. And gently caress you if you have never worked retail or food service. gently caress poo poo should be mandatory for two years for everyone.

Agree 100%

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Cowslips Warren posted:

gently caress poo poo should be mandatory for two years for everyone.

All this would do is make people say "well I got out of retail, why can't they? "

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

My peeve about working retail is that people assume all you need is a college degree to not work retail anymore. Like, a real degree, none of this Underwater Basketweaving poo poo. That is so all it takes, right?

To be fair, if you were a certified underwater basketweaver you would probably make bank.
:agreed:

My mum has this idea that retail is just wandering around having a nice chat to lovely little old ladies all day and maybe packing a few biscuits out if you get bored and I would pay many many money to see her work a night shift in a supermarket at Christmas, just loving one night or have to deal with some drunk prick who's trying to groom the teenage staff because they can't get away from the till or having to clean up sick or piss or God knows what the gently caress

Her and all the rest of the people out there who's parents got them office jobs in their summers in that weird time in the past where that was possible

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
People who hit on you when you're at work. Even if they're attractive, it's just super awkward. Especially if it's a job where you're expected to be super friendly to everyone so you're trying not to accidentally give them any "hints."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Wouldn't mandatory retail work just make things worse for everyone? It seems hard enough as it is to get regular hours. If you add in every unemployed 16+ year old everyone would probably be working 1 shift a week.

Anyway, I don't even work retail and I hate spontaneous invites too. You're just getting home from work, ready to settle in and relax and make dinner or whatever and you get a call asking to come out for drinks, right now. It's not that I don't want to go, it's the principle of the thing - I hate having to drop everything and go do something else. It's annoying and kind of self-centered to wait until you feel like going out and assuming everyone else does too. I mean, at least ask me in the morning at work if 24 hours notice is too hard and stop taking it so personally when people say they don't feel like it that night.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Murphy Brownback posted:

Anyway, I don't even work retail and I hate spontaneous invites too. You're just getting home from work, ready to settle in and relax and make dinner or whatever and you get a call asking to come out for drinks, right now. It's not that I don't want to go, it's the principle of the thing - I hate having to drop everything and go do something else. It's annoying and kind of self-centered to wait until you feel like going out and assuming everyone else does too. I mean, at least ask me in the morning at work if 24 hours notice is too hard and stop taking it so personally when people say they don't feel like it that night.

My general, all-encompassing pet peeve is anyone who reminds me of my father's bad side. My father expected me to drop everything and run to him whenever he whistled for me (not a metaphor), and even now that I'm almost 40, I still have a knee-jerk defiant reaction of inwardly saying, "No! t:mad:" whenever someone calls or texts me wanting to do something right now, even if it's something I would enjoy. (It's different if it's in person, because then I'm included in the decision to go.) If someone does this habitually, it gives me the impression that they think that nothing I could be doing is more important than what they want from me, and that is a grain of sand in my oyster which will slowly develop into a pearl of hatred.

:backtowork:

Celery Face posted:

People who hit on you when you're at work. Even if they're attractive, it's just super awkward. Especially if it's a job where you're expected to be super friendly to everyone so you're trying not to accidentally give them any "hints."

This is worse than a pet peeve -- this is legitimately heinous.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Murphy Brownback posted:

Wouldn't mandatory retail work just make things worse for everyone? It seems hard enough as it is to get regular hours. If you add in every unemployed 16+ year old everyone would probably be working 1 shift a week.

Do it like companies do internships, make it a social experiment for a grade/class in high school and make those fuckers work over summer their freshman and sophomore year in terrible retail so they can see exactly how they sound and act in public. Either it works and people get valuable experience, or it doesn't work and some dumb idiot fails and gets stuck in retail as a lifer, cooking meth and selling toothless blowjobs behind Chili's.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Do it like companies do internships, make it a social experiment for a grade/class in high school and make those fuckers work over summer their freshman and sophomore year in terrible retail so they can see exactly how they sound and act in public. Either it works and people get valuable experience, or it doesn't work and some dumb idiot fails and gets stuck in retail as a lifer, cooking meth and selling toothless blowjobs behind Chili's.

Make grades 7-12 year round, with a few 2 week breaks in the mix; and expect that in the summer months anyone 14+ is expected to get a job or volunteer somewhere for at least 10 hours a week. I pick 14 because thats how old I had to be to get a job(parental waiver or something) in Michigan in the early 90s.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Alternatively, if we're rearranging society to our specifications and all, we could just arrange things so that no one has to have a retail job unless it's what they love, and also do the same for all other jobs.

Though that lacks the essential "this'll show those punk kids" factor, I suppose.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
People who gripe about trigger warnings (or rather, whatever they think the phrase "trigger warning" means, which is usually wrong).

It seems like more and more of them are coming out of the woodwork with school starting again, and there's always some professor or college spokesperson who wants to go "Oh, I don't believe in ~trigger warnings~ or ~safe spaces~ because life is HARD and you pansy-rear end kids need to realize not everyone AGREES with you and maybe you should just GROW UP and stop whining about everything, you babies." Sometimes with a side dose of "Waaaah, millenials/Tumblr/SJWs ruining freedom of speech!"

There's also a contingent that seems to think that providing a trigger warning would be just too much burden on professors, because it would mean they have to memorize each and every student's mental health and warn them on a one-by-one basis rather than giving a five-second warning before showing a suicide clip. I spent some time arguing with someone who first said "Well, just don't take any classes that might have triggering material then!" and later clarified that the onus should be on the student to go to the professor of every class and request a full list of every single book, movie, audio clip, newspaper article, or other piece of media that might be used in the class (not just what's on the syllabus, but EVERY piece of material), research all of them on their own time to determine if anything might be triggering, and decide what to do about it from there. Because then they'd "have weeks to prepare for the triggering material, instead of just seconds" and that's way easier than the professor than putting an extra slide in their PowerPoint :psyduck:

And yes, some of the blame is on people who use the word 'trigger' to mean anything that makes them mildly uncomfortable. But that doesn't mean you get to dismiss and mock the entire concept and make it so people who have actually had traumatic experiences can't get taken seriously :argh: I swear to god it makes me so mad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Parasol Prophet posted:

People who gripe about trigger warnings (or rather, whatever they think the phrase "trigger warning" means, which is usually wrong).

Generally switching to "content warning" solves the entire problem, because everyone's already used to content warnings on media. Like, no one complains that shows on TV sometimes have a bit at the beginning that says "this programme contains material that may distress some viewers."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah unfortunately at this point "trigger warning" has lost all of its original meaning and all I can picture is a fat person with blue hair.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
KEK T?RIGGERED?? RAPE HAPPENS CANT GET UPSET ABOUT JOKES ABOUT RAPE COS IT HAPPENS KEK LE TRIGGLYPUFF *drops the n-word*

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Parasol Prophet posted:

The concept of trigger warnings in popular discourse now revolves almost exclusively around the context of college campuses, and that the bulk of criticism (or protection against) trigger warnings is geared towards the idea that we cannot allow people's personal comfort to dictate the dissemination of academic information. I suspect that the premise of this conversation is aimed towards colleges because we, recently, as a society tend to read college campuses as indicators of future social trends and any sensationalist bent we can append to them is a great place to start wringing our collective hands over the future of America (or wherever). The idea of the current generation being unable to process reality is probably pretty scary for a generation obsessed with the idea that they were more enlightened and free than the one before it (read: all generations, but especially Boomers) so I think we've collectively latched onto the fear that we're going to devolve intellectually.

The idea that people on Tumblr who've misused the word have "ruined it" compared to the sheer volume of people who seem really offended about this (and are usually like, "OUR TROOPS" about it because they think its exclusive to PTSD for some reason) seems like a really abstract permutation of a lot of social cycles. The onus is placed on whatever groups are aligned with the offending parties (i.e.: People who get offended) rather than the opposition (i.e.: The people who do the offending, who, ironically, are really offended about this process) and so the former is suddenly tasked with reassessing their demands. In this case, people with legitimate mental illnesses are suddenly responsible for a small, vocal minority of people on Tumblr (many of which are satirical posters, some of which are authentic) and a bunch of anonymous kids in unnamed college campuses demanding, what? Are people asking for warnings before Holocaust photographs or did they ask for the professors not to say the word "eggs"? We'll never know, because they're categorised identically and it's suddenly up to the reader to fill in the details.

Anyway, people who walk slowly in front of me and it turns out they're on their cellphones looking at Facebook are becoming the bane of my existence.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Why are noisemakers almost always obnoxious, inconsiderate twats in person?

The stomping, banging and thumping coming from the apartment above mine has started happening as early as 6:00 AM, when it can already go past 2:00 AM, so I drew the line and started thumping the ceiling with a broomstick a couple times whenever it was way too much (like an hour of tremors going down the walls and rattling them). Tonight she showed up with her friend and her dog and was absolutely furious over that when I've done it maybe eight times total, and pretty drat sparsely all told. Hilariously, she blamed absolutely all of the noise on her dog and said she doesn't even sleep there at night, so it's the dog doing it in a cage when it happens at night.

I couldn't make that poo poo up if I tried. She brought the dog down with her and literally pointed at it like a scapegoat (because apparently a caged dog slams doors and cabinets and stomps around like a human), before going on an incredible hissy fit about how rude I've been for thumping the ceiling once in awhile, throwing an insult, and stomping away. Because dealing with someone saying the equivalent of "it's time to stop" once in awhile when it gets loud is the same as getting only 3-4 hours of sleep average on work nights, sometimes not even that. Even if it was just the dog, it's a pet owner's responsibility to control their pet.

Just once, I want to meet one of these people and find them actually turn out to be polite and helpful, but so far I've never met one and all the stories like The Snoo's never end peacefully. At this point my only options are hoping the management sees the dog thing as as much of a ridiculous excuse as I do, or lets me move to another apartment in the complex. But I have never heard of that happening before.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 07:45 on Sep 14, 2016

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I had to call the police on my upstairs neighbors a few times because their noise was literally causing my pictures to fall off the wall. I had asked them politely to stop but they took offense and then turned their music up and started apparantly jumping up and down at 3 am. So I called the cops. The cops stopped by my place before they went to talk to them, went "Yeah this is unacceptable" went upstairs. Music cut out, everything was silent for the rest of the night. Woke up the next day with a passive agressive note on my door calling me a "party pooper". Dude it was 3am on a tuesday and I have classes in the morning gently caress off with that poo poo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Digirat posted:

Just once, I want to meet one of these people and find them actually turn out to be polite and helpful, but so far I've never met one

Maybe it has something to do with you banging the ceiling instead of just going and politely asking your neighbours to be quieter. Maybe they'd still be arseholes about it, but maybe not.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Already did that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

Maybe it has something to do with you banging the ceiling instead of just going and politely asking your neighbours to be quieter. Maybe they'd still be arseholes about it, but maybe not.

Politely asking them is always step 1, but it hardly ever ends on step 1 unless they really don't realize they are being so loud and make a genuine effort to keep it down. It's just something you have to check off on the list of reasonable escalation before you can resort to calling the cops on them. Most noisy people get super defensive when they get called out on things no matter how polite you are, so 9 times out of 10 they will indignantly get worse and worse until you move out or they get tired of dealing with the police.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The other day I went upstairs because my neighbors had their bass turned up super loudly and when I rang the bell they turned it down even before coming to the door, then apologized and asked if it was alright now, and said to come back any time if it wasn't. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Sociopastry posted:

I had to call the police on my upstairs neighbors a few times because their noise was literally causing my pictures to fall off the wall. I had asked them politely to stop but they took offense and then turned their music up and started apparantly jumping up and down at 3 am. So I called the cops. The cops stopped by my place before they went to talk to them, went "Yeah this is unacceptable" went upstairs. Music cut out, everything was silent for the rest of the night. Woke up the next day with a passive agressive note on my door calling me a "party pooper". Dude it was 3am on a tuesday and I have classes in the morning gently caress off with that poo poo.

Just leave equally passive aggressive notes until it escalates to leaving poop on each other's doorstep. Never mention that noise laws exist for a reason.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

oh, I moved out of that apartment a few years ago, thank god. Now the most noise I have is the occasional overly loud television from my roomates, but they usually are pretty good about turning it down.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The one Time i went to complain to a downstairs neighbour about him shouting and screaming at 2am, he was Playing something with voice comms i assume, he didnt answer the door but did shut up after. So sometimes it helps.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I got a noise complaint recently for talking to my (admittedly loud) friend and playing music while smoking at my window on a Saturday night, even after the guy yelled at me and I was super apologetic and didn't make a peep for the rest of the night because I felt really guilty :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol just lol uf u think the law is enforced in the united states