Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Smythe posted:

did u guys see these pics they were in the yospos thread hehe:

See you pay a price premium for elegant design and impeccable ease of use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought the Square reader used Bluetooth and the headphone jack was just a holder for the device but nope that's how it communicates with the device like it's a loving dialup modern

The new chip card reader for squareup is bluetooth and charges via micro USB.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

zen death robot posted:

Getting the huge black 7+ here

Yeah, but what phone will you be buying?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Has Apple explicitly stated that they removed the jack for reasons of thinness?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mithaldu posted:

Has Apple explicitly stated that they removed the jack for reasons of thinness?

no. the OFFICIAL REASON is BRAVENESS

thats not a joke it's literally what they said

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
to be fair getting rid of a universal port that a lot of things use to pile up the licensing fees is pretty ballsy

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I think they've also said something about the headphone jack not supporting "HD Audio" (96khz/24 bit) which is some real bullshit. The iPhone 6 DAC didn't support 96 khz audio, but that's okay because our ears don't support it either.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

It's going to revolutionize music for dogs though.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ok, i guess the "thin" thing was just something the collective hivemind assumed then since "the iphone 7 is super super thin!" or something. (It isn't.)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Germstore posted:

I think they've also said something about the headphone jack not supporting "HD Audio" (96khz/24 bit) which is some real bullshit. The iPhone 6 DAC didn't support 96 khz audio, but that's okay because our ears don't support it either.

Calling an audio standard literally not detectable by human ears "HD" is sheer marketing brilliance and I'm not surprised Apple is doing it

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The Ascend P6 is 1.1 mm thinner and has a headphone jack. There's a few phones in the low 5 mm range that have jacks.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

There's over 130 phones thinner than it with a jack. But well, it seems like the thin point wasn't even one made by apple, so it's moot.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah, I want a company to go "You know what? gently caress making it slimmer, we made it 1mm thicker and gave you a crazy amount of battery life."

Xiaomi is that company. All the battery, all the features, half the price of a iPhone.
*=may also include spyware infested rom.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mithaldu posted:

Ok, i guess the "thin" thing was just something the collective hivemind assumed then since "the iphone 7 is super super thin!" or something. (It isn't.)

it was the assumption apologists made cause it'd be a trade-off instead of literally just "we removed this for no benefit"

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
1/8" phone jacks can't support my 7.1 headphones.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

iphones are nice but no way I'm going to carry around a dumb adapter just so I can get the extremely basic functionality of "plays music through headphones". No headphone jack is probably the best reason I've heard in years for switching to android.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I've used iphones since the 3G and just stayed with them because I already had all the apps, was familiar with the OS, had all the chargers, etc but this might finally push me slightly over the edge to using android poo poo

The only thing that makes me hesitant is my wife and I still use ipads so we'd have to like buy apps for android for phone and then iOS for the iPad but I mean most apps we use are free or cheap so maybe it's not a big deal

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I want a proper 1/4" jack for my stereophones.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I've used iphones since the 3G and just stayed with them because I already had all the apps, was familiar with the OS, had all the chargers, etc but this might finally push me slightly over the edge to using android poo poo

The only thing that makes me hesitant is my wife and I still use ipads so we'd have to like buy apps for android for phone and then iOS for the iPad but I mean most apps we use are free or cheap so maybe it's not a big deal
Your Android apps will basically end up being free. Google has a survey app that gives you store credit for simple 3 second opinion stuff every now and then and you can link your phones in a family group to only have to buy apps once.

Made the switch almost a year ago and haven't had to pay a dime for anything on the Play store.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Nill posted:

Your Android apps will basically end up being free. Google has a survey app that gives you store credit for simple 3 second opinion stuff every now and then and you can link your phones in a family group to only have to buy apps once.

Made the switch almost a year ago and haven't had to pay a dime for anything on the Play store.

Yeah except you get like 40 cents max per survey, once a week. So it takes a while to build any meaningful credit

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

bradzilla posted:

Yeah except you get like 40 cents max per survey, once a week. So it takes a while to build any meaningful credit
You get quite a few in a row at the start and I still get more than one a week even now. Location Service gets you a ton of "hey did you shop here? How was it on a scale of 1-5?"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You get $0.40 for a survey? If that survey takes any longer than 10 seconds your are a straight up sucker.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

They don't. Usually they're like 3 questions max, all multiple choice. It's not one of those 5 minute long affairs.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I've literally never in my life held a phone and said "wow this is way too thick, I sure wish they shaved off ports, wireless charging, and battery life to make it thinner" but here we are.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
lol @ iphone users trying to find any way to poo poo on free apps and store credit.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

loquacius posted:

Apple is literally allergic to technology standards, every single thing they use has to be their own proprietary poo poo so they can control and profit from every aspect of every device that works with their technology provide the best experience to the end user

not that I give a poo poo about this fuckin nerd poo poo but every single connector on all Apple devices is standard except for the charging connectors. the only other proprietary poo poo anyone would care about is network services and while AirPlay and iMessage are obv proprietary, Google has proprietary equivalents to both, so I'm not sure how apple is worse. in conclusion: what the gently caress are you talking about

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Apple only switched to USB on desktop because they couldn't convince anyone to care about FireWire, and they've never used anything but proprietary connectors on their phones (y'know, the thing the thread is about) and tablets. They couldn't control what devices used the headphone jack for so it's gone now. I am a huge prick and I hope this helps.

but please tell me more about how you obviously don't care about any of this :allears:

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

corn in the bible posted:

no. the OFFICIAL REASON is BRAVENESS

lmbo

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

loquacius posted:

but please tell me more about how you obviously don't care about any of this :allears:

I obviously don't care about any of this

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
can u not

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Since they're talking about phones in the hillary clinton's vagina thread can we talk about hillary clinton's vagina in this thread?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

a bone to pick posted:

Since they're talking about phones in the hillary clinton's vagina thread can we talk about hillary clinton's vagina in this thread?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

bradzilla posted:

I've had the app for maybe 9 months and I've made $30 in goog play credit. I don't use it for anything, though.

e:

Some will expire in december but lol

snoo fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 12, 2016

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

The Snoo posted:

I've had the app for maybe 9 months and I've made $30 in goog play credit. I don't use it for anything, though.

e:

Some will expire in december but lol

typical entitled American. you know, there are children in Africa who don't even *have* apps

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
This is all a big dumb joke right? like apple is literally testing the waters to see how many retards come out of the woodwork and defend them for this or something?

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

the headphone jack is where i keep my emergency shot of everclear!! thanks a lot tim

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
courage.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i used to stash an emergency bump of coke in the headphone jack. android here i come !!!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Germstore posted:

I think they've also said something about the headphone jack not supporting "HD Audio" (96khz/24 bit) which is some real bullshit.

By that logic nothing supports "HD Audio" since it had to go analog somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
This is what you get for not buying the iWatch and iPen!

• Locked thread