Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

what if you think about it as a yokai

then i still dont like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I honestly don't know how to assess a Pokemon's usefulness aside from the types of moves it has and which types I need filled.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

On a different note, are cyndaquil and chikorita the worst starter designs, debate

If we're only counting base stage, not when Chimchar (the gently caress is its neck?), Tepig and Chespin exist. Also Cyndaquil is rad as hell.

Final stage Meganium is in the running but Typhlosian is more balnd than anything.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

cheetah7071 posted:

They at least have the redeeming quality that the totodile line isn't any better and you have to pick one

There is literally no reason to ever pick Chespin

It's adorable, is strong/tough, and has a ridiculous movepool. That's more than enough reason. Froakie's too frail at the beginning and Fennekin just bland.

Calaveron posted:

On a different note, are cyndaquil and chikorita the worst starter designs, debate

They are unquestionably the worst starters of their types now that Serperior can actually get Contrary.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good, ad infinitum

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What's the superior nickname for a Blaziken: "Foghorn" or "Col. Sanders"

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

col. cinders

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Geostomp posted:

Fennekin just bland.

what the gently caress

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Zore posted:

people have bad opinions :shrug:

I'm going to name mine Roan and he's gonna carry me to the championship (or whatever Alolan ends up having).

I have only done this my first playthrough once.

Gen V made me very sad. Serperior is hideously bad without Contrary. Like almost unusable in the main game bad.

No Gen V starter is usable but it's your duty as a trainer in the United States of Unova to pull through.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

sharrrk posted:

typhlosion is awesome

Literally a worse Charizard in every way and Charizard was pretty bad until Mega Y came along.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

Daywolf!

(AhAhAaaah)

Fighter of the Nightwolf!

(AhAhAaaaah)

Catch two Rockruffs. Name them Mac and Dennis.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
FYI Venusaur is the best starter

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Birds are bipedal therefore they are automatically bad, kill all birds

This is incredibly rude. You are rude. :mad:

Bongo Bill posted:

What's the superior nickname for a Blaziken: "Foghorn" or "Col. Sanders"

I named mine Sriracha.

See?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
It's amusing how this thread goes silent whenever there isn't news, and when there is the posts alternate between discussion of news and the quick degeneracy into awful shitposts about who likes what, featuring three-word replies

I am slowly accepting it as my fate because I am too interested in Sun and Moon to not keep coming back to this thread

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
I will personally fight everyone disrespecting Chesnaught and Typhlosion, IRL.

Best Starters: Venusaur, Blastoise, Typhlosion, Swampert, Torterra, Emboar, and Chesnaught.

The Big Boy Squad.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
You know what pokemon I really wish was usable? Sunkern. I really love Sunkern's design, it's such a cute little stripy chap. But it's the worst.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
For the first time since venusaur, the grass starter is the hands-down coolest looking. We'll see about "best" in use later but that's something. Also I don't mean to be rude to sceptile but blaziken is just the tits.

HopperUK posted:

You know what pokemon I really wish was usable? Sunkern. I really love Sunkern's design, it's such a cute little stripy chap. But it's the worst.

Mega sunflora will get protean or drought, be dual grass/fire, highest def/spdef in grass types and be a gigantic goddamn flower the size of a block with a happy face that shoots solarbeams out its mouth.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 12, 2016

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I hope that poster means Ash is getting a Lapras again, maybe even the same one from before :3:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ka0 posted:

For the first time since venusaur, the grass starter is the hands-down coolest looking. We'll see about "best" in use later but that's something. Also I don't mean to be rude to sceptile but blaziken is just the tits.

um I think you're forgetting my friend snivy aka the smuggest snake

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Best starters are Venusaur / Meganium / Swampert / Torterra / Serperior / Greninja / Owlsassin's Creed, thanks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

They at least have the redeeming quality that the totodile line isn't any better and you have to pick one

There is literally no reason to ever pick Chespin

Feraligatr is the best starter :mad:

Bogleech just posted this, thought it was kinda neat.

quote:

Unmistakably a cockroach and a mosquito you guys, UB-02 “Beauty form” has both overlapping wings and long, thin, swept antennae which Japan especially treats as a signature cockroach feature (real roaches actually always hold their antennae straight)

Meanwhile “expansion” form even has the ultra-distinct arrangement of eyes and the knobs at the base of the thin, straight, striped antennae!….And the transparent red muscles invoke a blood-filled abdomen.

This is so bittersweet for me I wanted a roach and a mosquito DAY ONE of knowing Pokemon existed and now they do some 19 years later and they’re “not pokemon??”

!???

If there’s a theme evident between the ultrabreasts, though we’ve only seen three designs, it appears to be “invasive pests.” Jellyfish are currently blooming all over the world to devastating degrees as the planet increases in temperature, as are mosquitoes and the diseases they carry, and every warm climate on Earth is overrun with non-native roach species. Just my hypothesis, it could be pure coincidence but these are all animals associated with a changing environment and hypothetical post-human world.

I really hope that I can catch the Jellychild and Roachwoman

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jesus guys the best starter is Oshawott, cmon

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Zodack posted:

It's amusing how this thread goes silent whenever there isn't news, and when there is the posts alternate between discussion of news and the quick degeneracy into awful shitposts about who likes what, featuring three-word replies

I am slowly accepting it as my fate because I am too interested in Sun and Moon to not keep coming back to this thread

welcome.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Oshawott is cool. Samurott gets too much hate from people.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

It's been three threads and I see no change in the pattern

There is no way off the ride

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Man, they were so close. Oshawott was cute, its evolution was cool, and then it just takes this giant swerve and suddenly turns into quadrupedal sea lion Samurott. All you had to do was stay the course, GameFreak! It's not like Samurott doesn't have cool features, too--the helmet and magnificent facial hair are cool--but they just get used on this bizarre base. Like, I wouldn't mind Samurott in a vacuum either, it just doesn't make sense as an evolution for Oshawott.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Instead of rehashing starters for the billionth time, lets post pokemon that are cool but very often overlooked.

Like Sigilyph! Its cool as heck and has some cool fanart

or Beeheeyem my alien-bro

or literally the greatest mega-evo

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Dexie posted:

Oshawott is cool. Samurott gets too much hate from people.

samurott could have been cooler but goddamn if Oshawott ain't the cutest fuckin thing in existence

The Lord of Hats posted:

Man, they were so close. Oshawott was cute, its evolution was cool, and then it just takes this giant swerve and suddenly turns into quadrupedal sea lion Samurott. All you had to do was stay the course, GameFreak! It's not like Samurott doesn't have cool features, too--the helmet and magnificent facial hair are cool--but they just get used on this bizarre base. Like, I wouldn't mind Samurott in a vacuum either, it just doesn't make sense as an evolution for Oshawott.

yeah I feel the same way.

Charizard, Typhlosion, and Greninja are probably the only third stage starters I really like.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I like samurott but you cannot deny that it looks like the evolution of something completely different.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Zore posted:

Instead of rehashing starters for the billionth time, lets post pokemon that are cool but very often overlooked.

or Beeheeyem my alien-bro

hmmm what about charmander

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Dexie posted:

Owlsassin's Creed, thanks.

Grassassin's creed

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

This my poo poo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

You're posting wrong if you want to avoid posts about people's opinions about pokemon

I count 15 megas better than Sableye

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Zodack posted:

kiss my grits

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zore posted:

Sigilyph IS cool. I always thought it was ghost type for some reason.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
since we're splitting into gangs I am pro-nightwolf because it's a werewolf and will fit perfectly into my spooky halloween team

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Emboar is cool and tough.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Emboar is cool and tough.

and tepig is adorable as poo poo and the episode where ash rescued the one that was abandoned and starving broke my loving heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ruggington posted:

hmmm what about charmander

Tyrantrum is a great pokemon. Probably my favorite of all time.

cheetah7071 posted:

You're posting wrong if you want to avoid posts about people's opinions about pokemon

I count 15 megas better than Sableye

Talking about opinions is fine, I just wanted to get people off of starters.

Also you're totally wrong :colbert: