Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yellow borders
Jan 7, 2010

if youre on Steve time the acceptable option is Alaska

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

"i live my life hard and fast. i cant tell when im going to be near a wall outlet sometimes, but i do know that i need to have access to hundred of hours of music to blast into my ears at any given time because [reasons]. hell, i dont even know if im gonna be sleeping in a bed tonight, there's no hope for me to be able to plug this thing into a wall for a couple hours"

pack the included lightning headphones in your manbag

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

frontier is garbage tier, same with American

southwest and Alaska air are great
delta is alright

all domestic airlines are poo poo though

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

i too hate extra leg room and larger seats

in terms of having to deal with an airline regularly, be it to cancel/rebook/reschedule fights, not having to deal with baggage fees giving all the passengers a perverse incentive to overload their carryons as much as possible that fills the cabin and delays takeoff, and overall customer experience, southwest wins hands down

if you have to fly domestically regularly southwest is really good

virgin is good too if they fly the route you're doing regularly

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mishaq posted:

not having to deal with baggage fees giving all the passengers a perverse incentive to overload their carryons as much as possible that fills the cabin and delays takeoff

the weird part about this is that the airlines will just give you a red tag and will basically check it for free for you

i guess they must pay a per unit fee to the airports for each checked bag or something

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

loquacius posted:

I was blown away by how much Alaska Air ruled my first time using it, I swear by it now

My father-in-law was a Continental VIP club member and loved it, then United bought them and he loving hates them but still uses them all the time anyway because he still gets his VIP club benefits

This is as far as I can tell the only legitimate reason to fly United

serious q what do they have that makes them better than eg delta

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the airbuds don't have a way to control volume

lol forever

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sniep posted:

i just pictured it more as "i guess this now lives on the end of the headphones i use with my iphone" for most people but i dont know much about computers

and it will be fine for as long as you do only that. then one day you're suddenly tempted to plug those earphones into another thing, you remove the dongle and as soon as you put it down, it disappears. you don't get it, it was right loving there!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

nice anecdotes guys but im an adult so i choose my personal airline tiers using data

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

poty posted:

nice anecdotes guys but im an adult so i choose my personal airline tiers using data

jet blue is what I use for cross country flights

free wifi too

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I am not poor.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Stymie posted:

the airbuds don't have a way to control volume

lol forever

actually,

lol @ no non-verbal way to do it tho, wow.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

inline volume control on wired headphones will always be the point of failure

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
lol at the idea of losing 4" of knee room on spirit

my legs would be pinned up at an angle against the seat ahead

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Wheany posted:

and it will be fine for as long as you do only that. then one day you're suddenly tempted to plug those earphones into another thing, you remove the dongle and as soon as you put it down, it disappears. you don't get it, it was right loving there!

this happens to me a lot. usually it turns out the thing i lost was in my butt all along

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

carry on then posted:

serious q what do they have that makes them better than eg delta

I'm gonna be honest, a lot of my positive feelings come from the fact that they have cheap frequent nonstops between Seattle and Boston with good seats and a minimum of bullshit, I am not hard to impress

Hard to beat Jet Blue's legroom and inflight TV of course, but they don't fly everywhere

Wheany posted:

uh wow look at this turbonerd edge-case poweruser bullshit, who the hell ever wants to plug a pair of headphones into more than one thing

it's very simple, as long as you have at least one pair of headphones per headphone-capable device and never try to switch around which phones you use with which thing, you will never have an issue with the revolutionary new wave of the headphone future -- apple users

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
tim is actively working to make the iphone the equivalent of the ipod shuffle that was entirely voice activated

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

loquacius posted:

uh wow look at this turbonerd edge-case poweruser bullshit, who the hell ever wants to plug a pair of headphones into more than one thing

it's very simple, as long as you have at least one pair of headphones per headphone-capable device and never try to switch around which phones you use with which thing, you will never have an issue with the revolutionary new wave of the headphone future -- apple users

i have enough EarPods that i could do this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

computer parts posted:

the weird part about this is that the airlines will just give you a red tag and will basically check it for free for you

i guess they must pay a per unit fee to the airports for each checked bag or something

nah they just started charging fees to incentivize carryons give them more room in the cargo bay they can sell for transporting goods. the red tag thing is them accepting that not every plane has full-sized overhead bins and they'll sometimes have to throw a few extra bags underneath.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

computer parts posted:

no, they just make a shitload of money off baggage fees and it's too late to turn off that money faucet

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

because the type of car he drives does not enter his mind.

yes and ?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
southwest rules if you are flying short flights because you can just arrive at the airport at boarding time and get right on the plane. idiotic airlines like American will make you check in an hour early for a 45 minute flight, what a loving joke.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

actually,

lol @ no non-verbal way to do it tho, wow.

lol so we've gone from

*press button*
*volume goes up*

to

*press button twice*
*music pauses*
boop-boop
"turn up the volume"
*waits to make sure you're done talking*
*compresses speech and uploads to the cloud*
*waits to receive recognized speech*
beep-beep
*volume goes up*

or, alternately, "i'm sorry, you'll need an internet connection to do that"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

also it is still impossible to get accurate directions via siri, unless they've added google maps back in

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

southwest rules if you are flying short flights because you can just arrive at the airport at boarding time and get right on the plane. idiotic airlines like American will make you check in an hour early for a 45 minute flight, what a loving joke.

if you already "check in" via your computer or phone, you can roll up equally as late to any other airline

sometimes they have a 15 minute before takeoff rule where you can't get on the plane because that's when the airline decides how many people are going to fly and start doing their calculations for weight and poo poo

unless you're talking about checking bags, which cutoff times vary by airport and have little to do with the airline (and you can't check bags for a southwest flight right before it takes off either)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GameCube posted:

also it is still impossible to get accurate directions via siri, unless they've added google maps back in

siri always gives me accurate directions. have you tried not mumbling at your phone?

in fact, her directions are so good, she even asked me if i wanted to re-route 2 hours into a trip since it would save me 8 minutes AND take me through pretty country backroads instead of boring, dull highways

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

siri always gives me accurate directions. have you tried not mumbling at your phone?

in fact, her directions are so good, she even asked me if i wanted to re-route 2 hours into a trip since it would save me 8 minutes AND take me through pretty country backroads instead of boring, dull highways

wow, basic google maps functionality, amazing

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

my phone just spontaneously demanded I authenticate for Activation Lock and then Apple deleted it from 2FA

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mishaq posted:

if you already "check in" via your computer or phone, you can roll up equally as late to any other airline

sometimes they have a 15 minute before takeoff rule where you can't get on the plane because that's when the airline decides how many people are going to fly and start doing their calculations for weight and poo poo

unless you're talking about checking bags, which cutoff times vary by airport and have little to do with the airline (and you can't check bags for a southwest flight right before it takes off either)

the 15 minute cutoff is so they can board standbys and still get out on time.

and lol at the 31" seat pitch thing for delta, their e-190s are also 31" and everyone's premium economy is 34" and costs the same as a jet blue ticket

or if you have any status with the legacy domestics you get premium economy or first for free

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I've mostly stuck with Delta due to location right now and they've been pretty fine for me. if I were in Philly I'd be doing AA. haven't flown w/Alaska or VA but I'd like to try them at some point

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

really wish I lived near an airport with a centurion lounge. rip

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

move back to philly sulk

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

move back to philly sulk

i wish!!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

the 15 minute cutoff is so they can board standbys and still get out on time.

well, i guess that's sort of a way to look at it

there are things the gate agents have to do before takeoff, including finalizing the manifest and then make sure everyone is seated and close the doors and all those other safety things

by not allowing stragglers on 15 minutes before takeoff, and because the standbys are waiting by the gate so they know they're immediately ready, they can finalize the manifest and theoretically push back from the gate on time

if they let people on the plane 1 minute before takeoff they'd always be late, so it's always lol when people get angry at the gate with the logic that the plane is RIGHT THERE and they should be allowed on

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

the last time i flew on an airplane it was with frontier on N208FR. that was 2011. it was fine.

thanks for reading my post.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

last time i tried to use apple maps for directions she sent me a literal mile away from the place i was trying to get to. i "won't get fooled again."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GameCube posted:

last time i tried to use apple maps for directions she sent me a literal mile away from the place i was trying to get to. i "won't get fooled again."

you're holding it wrong

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

GameCube posted:

I used apple maps last month and it told me to park and walk to my destination

across a road, field, and fence

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I used apple maps last month and it told me to park and walk to my destination

across a road, field, and fence

apple knows youre fat and wants you to get your steps in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002