Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
If you're doing 2x2, and its not 4 skulls, you're wasting that use of the Rocket. I very rarely do a 3x2 explosion as it is. I can't think of any case where a 2x2 would have been better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ninguno posted:

It seems like this is true, until you start to recognize the goblin rocket setups. being able to do different combinations of 2x2, 3x2 and 3x3 is pretty drat versatile

earlier, i ran gob rocket with the 911 rocket hero weapon or whatever it's called and it was pretty sweet

Coffeehitler posted:

If you're doing 2x2, and its not 4 skulls, you're wasting that use of the Rocket. I very rarely do a 3x2 explosion as it is. I can't think of any case where a 2x2 would have been better.

aiming for extra turns

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I didn't have any purple coverage, so I took Mad Prophet to take use of that from time to time

If everyone's alive, Templar craps out +7 armor, Goblin and the rocket 12 damage each

Templar doesn't exactly need to live, but hey, +5 magic to everyone is the super style I like :madmax:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I got that new mythic out of a gem chest last night. What would be a good team to go with him? Valkyrie seems obvious but beyond that, I'm not sure.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
are Event chests better than Gem chests or do they just skew the results a bit towards the flavour of the week?

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
Guild preview is up..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gaBrs0q0m0

Doesn't really sound all that different, but we'll see how it works out in the end. The bonuses look nice. And I guess making people spend money to get stuff for everyone in the guild may get their cash flowing.

EDIT: According to their forums post it's mainly supposed to balance out the rewards between the top guilds and the rest... Some interesting statistics in there.

voodoo dog fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 6, 2016

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

starkebn posted:

are Event chests better than Gem chests or do they just skew the results a bit towards the flavour of the week?

As far as I can remember seeing, event chests are different in the following ways:

(1) If the troop pulled has legendary or epic base rarity, it is guaranteed to come from the event kingdom
(2) If the troop pulled has ultra-rare base rarity, it is strongly skewed (2-1 odds or so?) to be from the event kingdom. If the event troop is itself ultra-rare, then the distribution is heavily skewed towards that troop when the pulled troop is ultra-rare; I recall getting 20+ Manticores and Yetis out of 50 chests the week those two were event troops.
(3) Event chests never drop base mythic cards

-----

I am thoroughly intrigued by the new guild system. Now that I am nearing end-game status (18 of 24 kingdoms at 5 stars, I think), I don't necessarily have to play with Valkyrie on my team any more to earn souls for leveling troops. So I can mix things up and maybe get back into PVP, which will earn seals redeemable for nifty chests.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Grundulum posted:

(3) Event chests never drop base mythic cards

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. I remember seeing one of the devs mention on the official forums that event chests theoretically have the same chance to drop mythics as gem chests, it's just that they can only drop mythics from the current event kingdom and none of the event kingdoms so far have had any mythic troops. But it should definitely be possible to to get Draakulis from an event chest the next time there's a Ghulvania event.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Got this thing that I didn't even know existed from glory chests today. At level 20 he drains 10 health from each enemy. Doesn't seem too bad but I don't have a place for him right now.

Also I got last week's event only dragon from a VIP chest so that's cool.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Draakulis serves about the same niche as Crimson Bat, I think. He's a bit more expensive, but maybe a little tankier. Crimson Bat is easier to trait and does more skull damage though, if you even use her to tank in the first slot.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

ninguno posted:

It seems like this is true, until you start to recognize the goblin rocket setups. being able to do different combinations of 2x2, 3x2 and 3x3 is pretty drat versatile

Why not use both!

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Jibo posted:

Got this thing that I didn't even know existed from glory chests today. At level 20 he drains 10 health from each enemy. Doesn't seem too bad but I don't have a place for him right now.

Also I got last week's event only dragon from a VIP chest so that's cool.

I got Drak as well. I put him in a team behind Khorvash, with Valk and Acolyte. kind of a toss up between him and Crimson Bat. Drak picks up green, which the team originally lacked. Acolyte's spell is pretty hit or miss, but Acolyte's traits are pretty solid for a support troop. Cursed (-2 to a random skill), Jinx (halve gem masteries, very strong against high level players), ans Stone Link (+1 brown mana). Fully traited, Drak would make a great tank.

There are a lot of choices for the 4th troop. Anything that uses Purple and compliments the team would work well. Goblin Shaman's traits aren't as good, but the extra turn makes his spell a lot better. Same for Herdmaster, which would offer a cleanse. Mab is always good (I have enough arcanes now for her traits, but need to farm more minor blues to finish her off). Amira is surprisingly good too, with Mana Shield and Stealthy. Her spell can one-shot Khorvash since he's kind of light on health. Spirit Fox offers good control, but removing all yellows hurts Valk too much.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I've been using :

Khorvash ***
Crimson Bat **
Valkyrie ***
Mercy ***

Works really well. With a little luck Mercy can fill Valk on turn one, which then feeds everything else.

Running the +2 blue +1 yellow -1 green banner.

I just got the new mythic vampire guy too and I'm not sure where he fits over the bat.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I was just about to ask about Khorvash teams. Currently using Khorvash/Val/Psion/Spirit Fox for max mana drain and true damage. Removing yellows hasn't been an issue. Had Soothsayer previously for the +1 magic but he rarely used his ability more than once. Psion is cool but his traits are useless for me and 18 damage divided by all enemies is pretty lackluster compared to Crimson Bat, so I'll probably make the trade as soon as I find a bunch of minor stones; having two Cursed traits would be nice.

Any good teams with Sylvanimora? 17 mana is so drat expensive.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
My favorite Korvash team uses:
Korvash ***
Alchemist ***
Valkyrie ***
Hellcat ***
With the yellow/purple banner

I can just cycle gem swaps until the board is safe enough to use Korvash. I get quite a few skull matches too.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I'm happy with this week because I finally got my Bone Dragon up to 3 traits. Probably would have been smarter to trait up Keeper of Souls since he has Necromancy, maybe next time. Now I just need a swamp stone week so I can get the Empowered trait on Mercy.

I couldn't help but laugh earlier in the thread when someone said they were finally going to be able to do PVP again because they were getting close to 5 starring all the kingdoms, then the video got posted that announced all kingdoms are going to increase to 7 stars. Does everyone just farm for souls? I've been playing PVP and just kind of ignoring more soul farming.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

comingafteryouall posted:

I couldn't help but laugh earlier in the thread when someone said they were finally going to be able to do PVP again because they were getting close to 5 starring all the kingdoms, then the video got posted that announced all kingdoms are going to increase to 7 stars. Does everyone just farm for souls? I've been playing PVP and just kind of ignoring more soul farming.
Well, I find souls quite important to keep me interested in the game. Sure, I could just have made one cookie cutter build and do PVP with it, but that gets boring pretty quickly for me and so I experiment around with a lot of different sets. They are not as efficient and I actually lose quite a few games nowadays, but it's still more fun in my opinion. Kingdoms upgrading is more of a bonus for me, I max a troop after the other even though I know that for maxing kingdoms that is pretty much the worst strategy.

Right now I am in love with my Maw/Flesh Golem/Ghiralee/Settite team.. It is slow, but very durable and I enjoy removing all of the enemies magic with some luck. Main reason I bring Maw is so I can devour that drat Queen Mab that is in pretty much every team.

I actually think the game was better when there was no Queen Mab and all these mythic troops, but maybe that's just me.

voodoo dog fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 8, 2016

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Trying different teams is definitely key in keeping the game fun; I would've checked out a long time ago otherwise. Val having a permanent spot on any team is a problem, though, and "exploring" over and over again to acquire arcanes is the worst.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Yup, Valkyrie alternatives should be their #1 priority if you ask me. They've announced they are going to happen, but probably after that guild update it looks like.
I'm a little burned out after returning from my laptop-broke break and haven't made it to the number 1 tier in PvP since, myself. I'd probably need to grind souls or arcanes to get ahead in the game, and that just doesn't look appealing right now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Game has reset my daily bonus twice in five days, pretty salty about that. I even close the app out on my phone completely between sessions.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Oenis posted:

Yup, Valkyrie alternatives should be their #1 priority if you ask me. They've announced they are going to happen, but probably after that guild update it looks like.
I'm a little burned out after returning from my laptop-broke break and haven't made it to the number 1 tier in PvP since, myself. I'd probably need to grind souls or arcanes to get ahead in the game, and that just doesn't look appealing right now.

I think the Valkyrie soul farming mechanic is fundamentally broken. I always want to play with a Valkyrie team if I can get away with it, because hey free souls. Having Valkyrie alternatives would increase the number of possible teams I always want to play, sure. How about instead get rid of Valkyrie and increase the amount of souls I get from all kills accordingly? Now I get to play any goddamn team I want, hooray!

The same goes for all the farming troops and traits. I just don't think the game should push towards playing certain builds by offering more rewards. The game should reward players for making good teams and playing them well.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Part of the reason I burned out on PVP was that I felt pressured to have a Valkyrie in my team all the time. Right now a single cast from my Valk takes me from 8 souls earned per battle (without a Valk) to 52. That is more than five battles' worth of souls from a single use of her spell (and trait). Given how important troop levels are to kingdom power, and how many expensive the final few levels are, it just didn't make sense not to use a Valkyrie.

This really is something the developers should have addressed long ago. I have to imagine they're aware of the problem, because they do a great job of taking/tracking/interpreting data in a wide range of other situations.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

What's a good team to use with the bat? Obviously valk, but what else works?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Brian the Lucky
Crimson Bat
Brian the Lucky
Green Seer

Brian raises a random skill by [magic+1] on all other allies, so they can boost each other and the Bat rather rapidly if you get into a good loop. This one is nice in that you don't need any traits to make it work.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Grundulum posted:

Brian the Lucky
Crimson Bat
Brian the Lucky
Green Seer

Brian raises a random skill by [magic+1] on all other allies, so they can boost each other and the Bat rather rapidly if you get into a good loop. This one is nice in that you don't need any traits to make it work.

I like this idea, but Valk is a must since I'm starting the long road of soul grinding (preferably through PVP, hence the bat).

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Other true damage dealers are good. Khorvath, Spirit Fox, another Bat if you have it, or Astral Spirit. I'd also go for Soothsayer instead of Brian the Lucky for more consistent +magic, and he also feeds your other troops magic, hence faster games.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Oenis posted:

Other true damage dealers are good. Khorvath, Spirit Fox, another Bat if you have it, or Astral Spirit. I'd also go for Soothsayer instead of Brian the Lucky for more consistent +magic, and he also feeds your other troops magic, hence faster games.

Plus soothsayer can get the empowered trait.

I haven't bothered with Valk teams too much because it takes so many souls to get your kingdoms up in stars it seems impossible without throwing down serious cash. Guess if I played all the battles with Valk I would be pretty far ahead where I am now though!

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

comingafteryouall posted:

Guess if I played all the battles with Valk I would be pretty far ahead where I am now though!

That's the whole point. Souls is not really a problem you can realistically throw cash at, so you're required to use valkyrie (or grind out challenges and the arena) or you're just wasting your time.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I have in the past run

Bat
Bat
Valkyrie
Mercy

Which gives you both bats and Valkyrie. You absolutely want the Empowered trait on Mercy if you can possibly manage it. The +2 blue banner and Valkyrie's Water Link trait can very easily let you fill one or both Bats on the first turn if you can chain Mercy->Valkyrie effectively.

You could replace Mercy with the Prismatic Orb hero weapon and try to get lucky with gem creation. If you have a twice-traited Archer class, Fast starts you with 9 of the 18 mana needed to fire off the Orb that first time. This wouldn't be my first choice, but I am much further along in the game than you might be.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 9, 2016

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Yay! Arcane Swamp traitstone in one of the glory packs, the one with the bearded lady.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Is there any room in either guild? Invite code is DINE_3

I've been playing for about a week, just unlocked my last kingdom. They're only at level 3 right now but it's a start.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Devonaut posted:

Is there any room in either guild? Invite code is DINE_3

I've been playing for about a week, just unlocked my last kingdom. They're only at level 3 right now but it's a start.

We've got a spot in Gem Boiz but it says you are already in a guild.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Bandire posted:

We've got a spot in Gem Boiz but it says you are already in a guild.

Sorry about that, I was in a random newbie guild. I'm available now.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I finally got the sooth, valk, bat, bat team going. All I need is ten blood arcanes to get the bats to 2* for this to be really amazing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Emron posted:

I finally got the sooth, valk, bat, bat team going. All I need is ten blood arcanes to get the bats to 2* for this to be really amazing.

Are you talking about the Crimson Bat?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

The Crimson Bat is pretty drat good. Currently using one in this team:

Draakulis
C. Bat**
Bone Dragon**
Val***

Three undead means +1 to magic, so I'm dealing up to 44 true damage from Draak and 48 from Bat. 9 blue mana per surge thanks to the Lion banner and Val's trait, so they fill up fast. Dragon does, too, since he's the only one taking brown and purple. Double Cursed is a nice bonus, especially when it hits magic.

If I can get Bat's third trait I'll put him in first place; Draak's attack is good and he often gets up to 100HP, but you can't beat Bat's double damage to wounded enemies.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ah drat I don't have one of those yet.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
The guild patch drops tomorrow.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Cool. Should we (gem blossums) figure out a plan here or in the game's chat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
It said chest rewards are changing and I have about 7k keys across all types. Should I use them now or wait until update?