Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xrunner posted:

Yeah. They were/are? In Pioneer Courthouse Square. they apparently locked down Benson High School to keep it from spreading or something dumb. http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2016/09/portland_public_schools_called.html#incart_2box
lmao
https://twitter.com/MikeBennerKGW/status/774407682392338432
https://twitter.com/MikeBennerKGW/status/774408025935257600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

xrunner posted:

Yeah, I didn't even know about the LLC thing so that makes it even funnier. Some people complain about gross receipts taxes hitting businesses with tighter margins more heavily, but with a tax like this and all the trickery you can pull off allocating profits and losses, I think it's the smarter way to go. I'm a lot more sympathetic to the margins argument in states like NM or WA where the tax hits every business.

Yeah. They were/are? In Pioneer Courthouse Square. they apparently locked down Benson High School to keep it from spreading or something dumb. http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2016/09/portland_public_schools_called.html#incart_2box

This is a different protest. I dont think Roosevelt ever got around to walking out, I can't find anything about it.

xrunner posted:

Yeah, I didn't even know about the LLC thing so that makes it even funnier. Some people complain about gross receipts taxes hitting businesses with tighter margins more heavily, but with a tax like this and all the trickery you can pull off allocating profits and losses, I think it's the smarter way to go. I'm a lot more sympathetic to the margins argument in states like NM or WA where the tax hits every business.

Yeah, Benson went into lockout this week to keep kids from streaming out of the school to join with Lincoln students. After the cops left, a bunch of Benson kids joined some of the Lincoln stragglers. The whole thing was asinine.

I wont be surprised if Benson stages a walkout this week too. These buildings are old, in poor condition, and are loving deathtraps in the event of an earthquake.

The school board's first response to a student walkout was to summon police to the BESC. Says a lot about what they think about the kids under their care.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 10, 2016

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

I love white people in Portland.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Doccers posted:

... Why does this not surprise me?

Also get ready for "High School Funding fight part 85,000" when you get back here. (TLDR: Our local high school is hilariously overcrowded and outdated, and the usual "NO TAXES EVER" people are stating "Well if we build another new high school than the people going to the old high school will be disadvantaged AND I KNOW YOU CARE ABOUT THAT SO LETS NOT DO IT".

I'd never seen concern trolling outside of the internet, it's... adorable.
Some old coot near me decided that it's time to plaster his pickup with Art Robinson signs. It must be that time of year

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
What's the deal with Washington I-1501? Like OK increase penalties for identity theft if they target seniors or old people, but what is the societal benefit of the changes to the public disclosure laws?

The against suggests it's an attempt for SEIU to limit information about union due payment, and it's obvious there are assholes who wrote that, but it seems a little over the top for merely preventing identity theft.

It extremely limits when and what information about seniors and their care givers can be released by the State, but most of the stuff seems like it should be public knowledge? Like which caregivers are taking care of who?

I trust goons to help me cut through the bullshit.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

foobardog posted:

What's the deal with Washington I-1501? Like OK increase penalties for identity theft if they target seniors or old people, but what is the societal benefit of the changes to the public disclosure laws?

The against suggests it's an attempt for SEIU to limit information about union due payment, and it's obvious there are assholes who wrote that, but it seems a little over the top for merely preventing identity theft.

It extremely limits when and what information about seniors and their care givers can be released by the State, but most of the stuff seems like it should be public knowledge? Like which caregivers are taking care of who?

I trust goons to help me cut through the bullshit.
I like Ballotpedia https://ballotpedia.org/Washington_Increased_Penalties_for_Crimes_Against_Vulnerable_Individuals,_Initiative_1501_(2016)

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

foobardog posted:

It is not uncommon for the paid carer of a disabled person to be a family member, in which case information about their identity is more revealing information about that family than about a business. I don't know if that applies here, but it might be a place to start your researches.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Jezebel doesn't have a lot of good articles, but this is a good article: https://jezebel.com/1786503469

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So this happened last week.

Two Artists Are Giving Out “Gentrification Citations” To Local Businesses, Including Uncle Ike's

quote:

Late Monday night, members of an activism collective issued gentrification "citations" to 23rd Avenue businesses and development projects in the Central District. Uncle Ike's and CommuniTea Kombucha were two of the businesses that had the flyers taped onto their windows. The flyer, shown after the jump, reads:

NOTICE

THIS IS A KARMIC INFRACTION

Violations:
• Being an unapologetic gentrifier.
• Unchecked white/class privilege.
• Destroying Black and Brown communities.
• Making mortgages/rent unaffordable.
• Exasperating income segregation.
• Stealing Black culture while displacing Black People.

Fines will be collected along with reparations in the revolution.

In interviews, artists Yeni Lopez Sleidi and Emnet Getahun told The Stranger they decided to issue the karmic infractions after experiencing gentrification first-hand or hearing from distraught friends who were pushed out of their neighborhoods. Sleidi, who is visiting town from her home in Miami, Fla., runs wwwayward.com, which focuses on the intersections of race, sexuality, and politics, among other topics.

The collective's goal, said Sleidi, is to reignite the conversation about the ongoing gentrification of the Central District and the displacement of people of color across Seattle. "It's easy to say that gentrification exists, acknowledge it, and move on," said Getahun. "But it's alive and thriving for black folks and people of color."

There was also this gem:

quote:

Although they are trying to reignite the conversation about gentrification, Sleidi made it clear that she believes the problem cannot exist as just a discussion. People of color are being targeted by "predatory" housing developers, she said, and the people living in new buildings are not taking the necessary direct actions to stop that cycle. The Stranger asked Sleidi and Getahun for specific actions or solutions that they believe can address the concerns they're raising, but did not receive specific answers. Any answers, the artists argue, must come from the people they see as gentrifiers.

Why in the hell can't we ever have a serious discussion on the issue of gentrification? I get that this is a serious problem, but the discussion always stops there. No one ever wants to discuss where people moving in from out of town (and I mean as close as the suburbs here) are supposed to live, or that you have tons of people who already own property that are doing everything they can to prevent additional development. It's also my understanding that the Central District used to be a Jewish neighborhood, so telling the Jewish owner of Uncle Ike's that he doesn't belong is a bit uncomfortable.

That bit at the end of the quote is just icing on the cake. They claim that the folks who aren't aware/don't understand the problem are expected to solve it for other people without any additional knowledge of what the proper fix is, or even if they are the right people to fix it. Brilliant.

/But maaaaan we're talking about it now so I guess their plan was a success :jerkbag:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Click the link to see the picture of the citation. We've reached peak Seattle.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Solkanar512 posted:

So this happened last week.

Two Artists Are Giving Out “Gentrification Citations” To Local Businesses, Including Uncle Ike's

There was also this gem:

Why in the hell can't we ever have a serious discussion on the issue of gentrification? I get that this is a serious problem, but the discussion always stops there. No one ever wants to discuss where people moving in from out of town (and I mean as close as the suburbs here) are supposed to live, or that you have tons of people who already own property that are doing everything they can to prevent additional development. It's also my understanding that the Central District used to be a Jewish neighborhood, so telling the Jewish owner of Uncle Ike's that he doesn't belong is a bit uncomfortable.

That bit at the end of the quote is just icing on the cake. They claim that the folks who aren't aware/don't understand the problem are expected to solve it for other people without any additional knowledge of what the proper fix is, or even if they are the right people to fix it. Brilliant.

/But maaaaan we're talking about it now so I guess their plan was a success :jerkbag:
It's performance art, not activism, so of course they don't have answers. Heck, one of them lives on the complete opposite end of the country.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It's not their job to educate you, maaaaaan

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

anthonypants posted:

It's performance art, not activism, so of course they don't have answers. Heck, one of them lives on the complete opposite end of the country.

Last time The Stranger interviewed an artist complaining about the bougiefication of Capitol Hill, they had lived in the neighborhood shorter than I had by two years. And let it be known that I'm techie bougie scum, but I do try to avoid being a bro.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

Click the link to see the picture of the citation. We've reached peak Seattle.

Hmm... Not quite passive-aggressive enough.

"Just wanted to say I am glad this business moved into town, I thought my rent was far too cheap. "

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mrit posted:

Hmm... Not quite passive-aggressive enough.

"Just wanted to say I am glad this business moved into town, I thought my rent was far too cheap. "

It probably was too cheap if you can get a palace like this for $675. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/roo/5775294714.html

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
http://komonews.com/news/local/display-hanging-near-sutherlin-causes-stir-among-i-5-motorists

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Please tell me this counts as a death threat against someone under Secret Service protection.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 13, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
not sure, whats a dearth that?

Solkanar512 posted:

Becoming gentrified was always part of the american dream. People are starting to not grow up believing in it anymore or they are realizing what kinds of systemic problems are involved with becoming part of the "upper class," though.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

coyo7e posted:

Becoming gentrified was always part of the american dream.

It was all fun and games when it was just indians being priced out of their homes.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Gentrification is good, tax the lesser Seattle scum out of the city.

I'm pretty conservative on fiscal issues but I vote for every local tax increase to push old people out of their homes, they are the enemy.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

coyo7e posted:

not sure, whats a dearth that?

Becoming gentrified was always part of the american dream. People are starting to not grow up believing in it anymore or they are realizing what kinds of systemic problems are involved with becoming part of the "upper class," though.

It's my phone's way of spelling "death threat".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So Oregon has some ballot measures coming up and I'll give my opinion on them. Descriptions via Ballotpedia:

Measure 94 would repeal the mandatory judicial retirement age, which is currently 75 years old. - neutral/yes

Measure 95 would allow public state universities to invest in equities. - neutral (I'm not sure how this would affect funding if there is a downturn, but it sounds like they can already do stock stuff as long as it was a gift)

Measure 96 would devote 1.5 percent of state lottery net proceeds toward veterans' services. - neutral/yes (earmarking stuff is bad but it's a relatively low percent compared to the rest of already earmarked funds there)

Measure 97 would raise corporate taxes on businesses with annual incomes that exceed $25 million. - yes (though I wish it was more granular, companies can probably pay it though)

Measure 98 would require state funding for dropout-prevention and career and college readiness programs in Oregon high schools. - yes

Measure 99 would create an "Outdoor School Education Fund," sourced from state lottery proceeds, to support outdoor school programs. - yes (though again drawing from the lottery is not good long term)

Measure 100 would prohibit the sale of products from and parts of 12 species of endangered animals. - yes

Oh and here are the Washington ballot measures but I don't live there so I haven't really researched them:

quote:

The Initiative 732 would impose a carbon emission tax on certain fossil fuels and fossil-fuel-generated electricity.

The Initiative 735 would urge a federal constitutional amendment that limits constitutional rights to people, not corporations.

The Initiative 1433 would increase the state minimum wage to $13.50 by 2020.

The Initiative 1464 would create a campaign-finance system allowing residents to direct state funds to qualifying candidates, repeal the non-resident sales-tax exemption, restrict employment of former public employees and lobbying, and revise campaign-finance laws.

The Initiative 1491 would authorize courts to issue extreme risk protection orders to remove an individual from access to firearms.

The Initiative 1501 would increase criminal identity-theft penalties and expand civil liability for consumer fraud targeting seniors and vulnerable individuals. It would exempt certain information regarding vulnerable individuals and in-home caregivers from public disclosure.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

computer parts posted:

Oh and here are the Washington ballot measures but I don't live there so I haven't really researched them:

The Initiative 732 would impose a carbon emission tax on certain fossil fuels and fossil-fuel-generated electricity. neutral/negative only a good law if a non-hosed State House/Senate balances the budget and invests wisely

The Initiative 735 would urge a federal constitutional amendment that limits constitutional rights to people, not corporations. neutral/positive largely a show vote

The Initiative 1433 would increase the state minimum wage to $13.50 by 2020. yes you are not going to see anything faster or better if this doesn't pass and/or pass strongly.

The Initiative 1464 would create a campaign-finance system allowing residents to direct state funds to qualifying candidates, repeal the non-resident sales-tax exemption, restrict employment of former public employees and lobbying, and revise campaign-finance laws. positive There is very little to dislike. Throws sunlight into a shady world and allows actual voters to directly support candidates that voice their issues.

The Initiative 1491 would authorize courts to issue extreme risk protection orders to remove an individual from access to firearms. negative incredibly badly written, largely an organ to target people LEO happen to not like for increased financial penalties & municipal plunder.

The Initiative 1501 would increase criminal identity-theft penalties and expand civil liability for consumer fraud targeting seniors and vulnerable individuals. It would exempt certain information regarding vulnerable individuals and in-home caregivers from public disclosure. neutral fairly new on my radar, not exactly sure what it is formed to combat.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

So Oregon has some ballot measures coming up and I'll give my opinion on them. Descriptions via Ballotpedia:

Measure 94 would repeal the mandatory judicial retirement age, which is currently 75 years old. - neutral/yes

Measure 95 would allow public state universities to invest in equities. - neutral (I'm not sure how this would affect funding if there is a downturn, but it sounds like they can already do stock stuff as long as it was a gift)

Measure 96 would devote 1.5 percent of state lottery net proceeds toward veterans' services. - neutral/yes (earmarking stuff is bad but it's a relatively low percent compared to the rest of already earmarked funds there)

Measure 97 would raise corporate taxes on businesses with annual incomes that exceed $25 million. - yes (though I wish it was more granular, companies can probably pay it though)

Measure 98 would require state funding for dropout-prevention and career and college readiness programs in Oregon high schools. - yes

Measure 99 would create an "Outdoor School Education Fund," sourced from state lottery proceeds, to support outdoor school programs. - yes (though again drawing from the lottery is not good long term)

Measure 100 would prohibit the sale of products from and parts of 12 species of endangered animals. - yes

Get a load of this old lady who hates that mandatory retirement age statute: http://portlandtribune.com/scs/83-news/216890-76574-attorney-targets-mandatory-retirement-with-lawsuit-write-in-campaign

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gerund posted:

The Initiative 1501 would increase criminal identity-theft penalties and expand civil liability for consumer fraud targeting seniors and vulnerable individuals. It would exempt certain information regarding vulnerable individuals and in-home caregivers from public disclosure. neutral fairly new on my radar, not exactly sure what it is formed to combat.

I just read the text, and it looks like a rather straight forward way to increase privacy and protections of seniors and vulnerable persons against identity theft.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

You all should probably care about this stuff.

https://www.awcnet.org

quote:

Infrastructure
Halt the diversion from critical infrastructure programs to help cities grow and prosper

Pro – In initial budget proposals, House budget leadership and the Governor did not propose further reductions in key programs like the Public Works Trust Fund. While the House and Senate ultimately agreed to further reductions in the final budget sent to the Governor, the Governor vetoed the cuts to keep the fund alive in the out years. The critical question: Is there bipartisan interest in figuring out “what’s next?”

Con – Senate budget leadership proposed and stated that fees and loan repayments to the Public Works Trust Fund should be diverted to other uses. The House ultimately agreed. Even though the Governor vetoed these provisions, the threat remains.

Fiscal Sustainability
Ensure sufficient and flexible revenue for essential city services

Pro – Neither the Governor or House budget leadership proposed reductions in revenues shared with cities. Bipartisan legislation was proposed in both the House and Senate to eliminate the recession-era cap placed on liquor profits shared with cities and counties and had broad House support. A cap on the city utility tax was killed.

Con – Neither House or Senate budget writers allowed the city-sponsored liquor budget cap removal bill to move forward. Legislators are predominately focused on their own challenge to fund education and continue to lack a basic understanding of city fiscal challenges. Cities continued to fend off Senate proposals like capping local utility taxes and defunding programs and services like MRSC*. Additionally, local Business & Occupation tax authority is under review by a task force during the interim.

Public Records
Strengthen the Public Records Act in response to changing technology and burdensome requests

Pro – Legislative champions in the House actively promoted bipartisan legislation aimed to address changing technology and burdensome requests. Constructive legislation was passed with bipartisan support that promises some relief for those cities that have law enforcement body camera technology.

Con – House leadership ultimately stopped short of allowing a vote on the floor for a modest proposal addressing public records abuses and failed to give the Senate the opportunity to seriously consider the city proposal.

Human Services, Homelessness and Affordable Housing
Enhance the provision of much needed human service programs to address issues that drive increased homelessness and public safety costs

Pro – Legislators focused greater attention on these issues, which resulted in small, but important, additional investments in mental health and homelessness.

Con – City priority bills aiming to help provide more affordable housing (low-income and market rate) did not advance. The funded investments, though appreciated, are not enough to have significant impact.

Emergency Responsiveness
Help cities prepare for and address impacts of natural disasters and other emergencies

Pro – The final budget provides relief for expenses incurred fighting last summer’s devastating wildfires.

Con – The House failed to move a city proposal that would have addressed regulating fireworks during times of drought and threat of wildfires. The Senate was not interested in taking up this issue without House action.

https://www.awcnet.org/Advocacy/Citylegislativepriorities/fiscalsustainability.aspx

Basically cities advocate for actually having citizens taken care of and the state level nutters battle about their abstract ideologies.

quote:

About MRSC

The Municipal Research and Services Center (MRSC) is a nonprofit organization that helps local governments across Washington State better serve their citizens by providing legal and policy guidance on any topic. At MRSC, we believe the most effective government is a well-informed local government, and as cities, counties, and special purpose districts face rapid changes and significant challenges, we are here to help.

For more than 80 years, local governments have turned to MRSC for assistance on every topic imaginable. Our trusted staff attorneys, policy consultants, and finance experts have decades of experience and provide personalized guidance by phone and email, at conferences and training sessions, and through our extensive online resources. Every year we answer thousands of questions as we help staff and elected officials research policies, comply with state and federal laws, and improve day-to-day operations.

MRSC is also at the forefront of emerging issues that affect local government operations. We are the go-to source of information on major legislation, including the Growth Management Act, the legalization of recreational marijuana, and the ever-evolving complexities of the Public Records Act, to name a few. When the legal landscape changes, we are here to clarify the issues and help local government leaders make the right decisions for their communities.

MRSC serves all 281 cities and towns in Washington, all 39 counties, and hundreds of special purpose districts, state agencies, and other government partners. Originally established in 1934 as the University of Washington Bureau of Governmental Research, MRSC has operated as a private nonprofit since 1969.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 13, 2016

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Here's a fun one! http://www.oregonlive.com/tigard/index.ssf/2016/09/cop_arrests_14-year-old_girl_s.html#incart_most-read_

A neighbor records a sheriff's deputy bullying a 14 year old girl.

What did the officer say that might be considered poor performance?

quote:

The deputy had been called to the apartment Saturday afternoon to investigate a fight between the girl and her mother.

While [the officer] spoke with the family, he remarked, "If my kid did that to me, I'd pretty much beat the hell out of him."

[The officer] went on to say that women should stay home and be mothers and that if the girl lived in the Middle East, she'd have to wear "a rag" over her face and would be considered "scum" and "property."

Sounds like this officer really handled the situation poorly. What's the sheriff's office response? Lip service about training and conflict resolution skills? A conversation about how maybe sheriffs handling domestic disturbances shouldn't be encouraging parents to beat children?

Nope!

quote:

It is my understanding that there was a video recording of a domestic violence incident involving a minor this weekend, and that there is probable cause to believe the video was made in violation of ORS 165.540. It is also my understanding that the domestic violence victim wishes to press charges against the suspect who illegally captured the video and audio of a private conversation within the victim's home and then posted it to a public forum.

As you are aware, ORS 165.540(1)(c) makes it a crime to obtain an in-person conversation, and 165.540(1)(e) makes it a separate crime to "Use or attempt to use, or divulge to others, any conversation, telecommunication or radio communication obtained by any means prohibited by this section." In light of that, any further disclosure of the illegally captured video will likely result in additional criminal charges for violation of this statute, and could also result in civil liability for invasion of privacy.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Buglord

Gerund posted:

The Initiative 1433 would increase the state minimum wage to $13.50 by 2020. yes you are not going to see anything faster or better if this doesn't pass and/or pass strongly.

Wasn't there an initiative for $15 for the whole state? What happened to that one?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Freakazoid_ posted:

Wasn't there an initiative for $15 for the whole state? What happened to that one?
I thought there was one for Seattle, and it won

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Freakazoid_ posted:

You might be thinking of the Oregon law, which gradually raises it (higher than inflation) and then sets it at ~$15 for the Portland metro and lower depending on other factors:

Footnote:

2 Portland Area is an area encompassing the City of Portland and much of the greater tri-county area (Multnomah, Washington, and Clackamas counties) that is managed and periodically expanded by Metro, the Portland area regional government.

3 Non-Urban counties are Baker, Coos, Crook, Curry, Douglas, Gilliam, Grant, Harney, Jefferson, Klamath, Lake, Malheur, Morrow, Sherman, Umatilla, Union, Wallowa, and Wheeler counties.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
There's no way I-6414 survives the state supreme court, right. I like the idea but that's too many things on one initiative.

E: I-1433 would also require paid sick leave to be offered.

Bradf0rd fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 13, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Gerund posted:

The Initiative 1464 would create a campaign-finance system allowing residents to direct state funds to qualifying candidates, repeal the non-resident sales-tax exemption, restrict employment of former public employees and lobbying, and revise campaign-finance laws. positive There is very little to dislike. Throws sunlight into a shady world and allows actual voters to directly support candidates that voice their issues.
Nooo, not the non-resident sales tax exemption :cry:

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Bradf0rd posted:

There's no way I-6414 survives the state supreme court, right. I like the idea but that's too many things on one initiative.

E: I-1433 would also require paid sick leave to be offered.

Highly complex laws with multiple facets are fine, trying to code governmental processes with If/Than procedures as an end-run around initiative limitations are not.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

xrunner posted:

Here's a fun one! http://www.oregonlive.com/tigard/index.ssf/2016/09/cop_arrests_14-year-old_girl_s.html#incart_most-read_

A neighbor records a sheriff's deputy bullying a 14 year old girl.

What did the officer say that might be considered poor performance?

Sounds like this officer really handled the situation poorly. What's the sheriff's office response? Lip service about training and conflict resolution skills? A conversation about how maybe sheriffs handling domestic disturbances shouldn't be encouraging parents to beat children?

Nope!

Is this some super rural county where they feel confidant about defending that kind of behavior(caught on camera anyway)? "If this were sharia you'd be dead" isn't exactly the kind of scared straight rhetoric that should be encouraged.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

FetusSlapper posted:

Is this some super rural county where they feel confidant about defending that kind of behavior(caught on camera anyway)? "If this were sharia you'd be dead" isn't exactly the kind of scared straight rhetoric that should be encouraged.

Nope! It's a suburb about fifteen minutes from downtown Portland (if traffic cooperates).

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FetusSlapper posted:

Are you at all familiar with the police in this country

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

anthonypants posted:

Are you at all familiar with the police in this country

Well, I have stories from when I was young in Michigan.. But mostly my experience with cops (even when I was leg chained and sent to a mental hospital as a teen) were mostly positive. A cop giving a recommendation to beat a child seems like a huge and, since captured on video, unavoidable civil lawsuit.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Probably not admissible for the stated reasons.

Which is bullshit.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FetusSlapper posted:

Well, I have stories from when I was young in Michigan.. But mostly my experience with cops (even when I was leg chained and sent to a mental hospital as a teen) were mostly positive. A cop giving a recommendation to beat a child seems like a huge and, since captured on video, unavoidable civil lawsuit.
This is the state of police in this country: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2016/09/12/west-virginia-cop-fired-for-not-killing-a-man-with-an-unloaded-gun/

"But that's West Virginia! That's all the way on the opposite side of the country!" Okay, here's Portland-area policing: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/07/portland_police_capt_mark_krug.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

anthonypants posted:

This is the state of police in this country: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2016/09/12/west-virginia-cop-fired-for-not-killing-a-man-with-an-unloaded-gun/

"But that's West Virginia! That's all the way on the opposite side of the country!" Okay, here's Portland-area policing: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/07/portland_police_capt_mark_krug.html

I understand what you're saying, its just that when there is video/audio of bad cop happening it should really change the tone of things. That west viginia horror of a suicide by cop almost ending well is a prime example of how things should be changing, but somehow go the opposite way.

• Locked thread