Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Jedit posted:

I got to execute someone by Scaphism. :smuggo:

Haha oh poo poo I definitely need to do that :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Adequate posted:

Haha oh poo poo I definitely need to do that :allears:

It's something Persian (not sure if it means Iranian group or specifically Persian; the code just says "persian") rulers can do, with Cruel and Wroth ones being much more likely to do it. So be an rear end in a top hat Persian and you can kill people with one of the most creatively horrible and absurdly prolonged execution methods ever devised.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

catlord posted:

Have they added more provinces to North Africa?
They changed the shape of the coastal ones, but I think they haven't added any more in North Africa in a year or so.

Mesopotamia, on the other hand...

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
At least Mesopotamia is renowned for having like, cities and permanent populations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Roland Jones posted:

It's something Persian (not sure if it means Iranian group or specifically Persian; the code just says "persian") rulers can do, with Cruel and Wroth ones being much more likely to do it. So be an rear end in a top hat Persian and you can kill people with one of the most creatively horrible and absurdly prolonged execution methods ever devised.

Maybe I'm a horrible person just not playing with the sound turned up sufficiently, but it seems kind of underwhelming when it actually does fire. (then again how the gently caress would you record something that could pass for it?)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ofaloaf posted:

They changed the shape of the coastal ones, but I think they haven't added any more in North Africa in a year or so.

Mesopotamia, on the other hand...

Oh wow. Honestly, the first two pictures don't look too bad, but I don't mind more cultures and religions and stuff. However, I hate map changes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dallan Invictus posted:

Maybe I'm a horrible person just not playing with the sound turned up sufficiently, but it seems kind of underwhelming when it actually does fire. (then again how the gently caress would you record something that could pass for it?)

A combination of the sounds of screaming, pooping, and bugs.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Anyone know where the current Meta is for Horde army composition? I just got absolutely TROUNCED fighting another horde. We're talking doing barely 5% damage VS losing in about 5 days. The setup was about as follow : Me : 10 000 strong, probably about 3 000 Horse Archers, 2 000 Heavy Cavalry, and 5 000 Light Cavalry, more or less. We were both fighting in Steppe terrain and I was the attacker, with no Bonus or Malus on either side. My leaders had 19, 21 and 18 martial respectively, with I believe only one having Inspiring leader in the center, the rest I'm not sure if they even had a proper martial trait. There was no Crazy Shinanigans on the other side, and in fact they had mostly average defenders averaging around 12 martial.

I'm a bit ticked off and ragequit-ed after that since so far my composition has not been a problem dominating the eastern steppes and the region of Khiva and Turkestan, even against same sized armies. I started as Otuken in Charlemagne and was able to become the Mongol Empire in about 40 years no problems. I'm usually not one to min/max army composition since I always though that : decent generals + decent army variety will be fine. Maybe I stepped over an invisible threshold.

Anyway, I was going at speed 3 so it was over before I could mouse over anything combat related to see what was happening.

Next time I load I'm just going to retreat back into my steppes and replenish the horde before heading out against in a second attempt against Khazaria.

Another bit of info : I've got about 3 tiers of buildings in my capital built for stuff related to Horse Archers attack and defense, perhaps it's just a thing where the enemy built a poo poo-tons of Capital upgrades and I didn't? In any case it shouldn't even be a problem to rush build some since I'm still making about 50 a month with my horde reinforcing. Thanks Khiva!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

StarMinstrel posted:

Anyone know where the current Meta is for Horde army composition? I just got absolutely TROUNCED fighting another horde. We're talking doing barely 5% damage VS losing in about 5 days. The setup was about as follow : Me : 10 000 strong, probably about 3 000 Horse Archers, 2 000 Heavy Cavalry, and 5 000 Light Cavalry, more or less. We were both fighting in Steppe terrain and I was the attacker, with no Bonus or Malus on either side. My leaders had 19, 21 and 18 martial respectively, with I believe only one having Inspiring leader in the center, the rest I'm not sure if they even had a proper martial trait. There was no Crazy Shinanigans on the other side, and in fact they had mostly average defenders averaging around 12 martial.

I'm a bit ticked off and ragequit-ed after that since so far my composition has not been a problem dominating the eastern steppes and the region of Khiva and Turkestan, even against same sized armies. I started as Otuken in Charlemagne and was able to become the Mongol Empire in about 40 years no problems. I'm usually not one to min/max army composition since I always though that : decent generals + decent army variety will be fine. Maybe I stepped over an invisible threshold.

Anyway, I was going at speed 3 so it was over before I could mouse over anything combat related to see what was happening.

Next time I load I'm just going to retreat back into my steppes and replenish the horde before heading out against in a second attempt against Khazaria.

Another bit of info : I've got about 3 tiers of buildings in my capital built for stuff related to Horse Archers attack and defense, perhaps it's just a thing where the enemy built a poo poo-tons of Capital upgrades and I didn't? In any case it shouldn't even be a problem to rush build some since I'm still making about 50 a month with my horde reinforcing. Thanks Khiva!

What was their religion? Defensive pagans (Slavic, Romuva, Suomenusko, and West African) get a MASSIVE defensive bonus for fighting in counties of their religion (which if they are nomads, will be all of their nomadic territory).

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

You want as few different types of units as possible. And horse archers suck, as I understand it. Best to just go 100% light cavalry unless you can get a ton of heavy cavalry.
What kind of bonuses do your commanders have? A guy with 16 martial skill and no modifiers isn't better than a guy with 9 skill and defense/morale/terrain buffs.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Really? Horse archers were super strong a while ago. When did they get changed?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What was their religion? Defensive pagans (Slavic, Romuva, Suomenusko, and West African) get a MASSIVE defensive bonus for fighting in counties of their religion (which if they are nomads, will be all of their nomadic territory).

Just checked and they are Sunni. They were Tengri a few generations ago so I guess they changed recently. They pursued my retreating army, I mixed in my vassals troops in, so everything was a bit more balanced (so had a tiny bit of Archers, HI, LI and such added to the LC, HC and HA). This time it was much less closer for a win on my side. But I'm still really not sure what happened at first. I'll try again and keep a close eye on the battle log as it happen to see what are the percentage of change of tactics. I'm curious though as to why Horse archers are bad with Horde, seeing as isn't that what most players would build in decent quantity as a horde player just by instinct? I'm curious as to what changes made it be at a place where LC and desired over it.

@Various, I thought they had nerfed 100% tailored armies recently and introduced really bad tactics to counteract that. I'm really not sure.

edit: here are the proper numbers : 3350 LC, 2100 HC, 4800 HA. I'll hire a bit more Heavy Vanguards to add more LC and HC.

edit2: ended up winning with no more problems. I'm gonna assume RNG hosed the first tactics and I got some super horrible ones on top of the other side getting really good ones.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 13, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ofaloaf posted:

I was curious how the When The World Stopped Making Sense mod is doing these days.

oh.

What the heck is Tabitian?

Never heard of it and wikipedia and google show nothing.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

What the heck is Tabitian?

Never heard of it and wikipedia and google show nothing.

A CK2ism meant to denote the Scythian/Sarmatian religion, I think. The head of their pantheon was Tabiti, according to Herodotus anyway.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Why not just use Tengiism?

Why not just use a limited number of Germanic cultures for multiple tribes, instead of one culture per tribe where half of them are copy/paste jobs of Gothic anyways?

If a catch-all 'Slavic' culture is okay, then why do Romans need several bajillion variants?

Why is there both Aesti and Estonian?

All these questions and more shall never be answered.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Why not just use Tengiism?

Why not just use a limited number of Germanic cultures for multiple tribes, instead of one culture per tribe where half of them are copy/paste jobs of Gothic anyways?

If a catch-all 'Slavic' culture is okay, then why do Romans need several bajillion variants?

Why is there both Aesti and Estonian?

All these questions and more shall never be answered.

The Tabiti thing makes some kind of sense. Tengriism is a totally different religion originating farther east, while the Scythian/Sarmatian religion was descended from the pre-Zoroastrian Persian religion. If you're making what is more or less a Late Antiquity mod, giving the Sarmatians their own flavor isn't out of place as they were rather important. Also, I'm sure the :okpos: aspect adds to the appeal.

The rest, well, the world wonders.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

You'd think there'd be one weird Russian guy who splits Slavic up into 25 different one province cultures and when asked why gives a huffy, strangely translated response that might be some New Chronology style weirdness.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

In that middle culture map is a dark magenta-ish culture. It's called "Lebus", it's in the province of Brandenburg and only the province of Brandenburg, and it's an East Germanic culture that shares the exact same nameset as 5 other cultures.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Actually as far as troop composition you should probably just dismiss me as some random poster on the internet since that's exactly where all my information comes from. Keeping track of the balance changes in this game across patches and expansions is not easy.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Recently they changed troop types to a degree I still don't understand. Now archers aren't as good and pikemen are the best for sieging.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
According to some big data thing I saw a while back, horse archer retinues are among the worst in the game unless they're led by a commander who is both Altaic and Tengri, in which case they're acceptable. It's a bit out of date. .though, so I don't know if there have been significant changes since then, but it's post-horse archer nerf at least.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Obviously the answer is still "pikemen with a side of pikemen"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, the recommended mix if you didn't have a cultural super-retinue from what I saw was four Defense, two Shock, and one Skirmish, which results in a 20:10:9 pikeman:archer:heavy infantry mix.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

In that middle culture map is a dark magenta-ish culture. It's called "Lebus", it's in the province of Brandenburg and only the province of Brandenburg, and it's an East Germanic culture that shares the exact same nameset as 5 other cultures.

I feel like I need to defend my position of "give more more cultures and poo poo," namely, if there's so little difference that you just copy it over from another culture or whatever, maybe, just maybe, it's unnecessary.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Ofaloaf posted:

I was curious how the When The World Stopped Making Sense mod is doing these days.

oh.

It amuses me greatly that they called a duchy 'Reqt'.

In regards to army compositions, Scottish Pikemen still reign supreme. Although I do love my berber light cavalry doom stacks.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 13, 2016

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it me or is it weird that the Vandal kingdom is so tiny compared to the roaming desert tribes. I mean those guys made quite an impact at the time, but uh. They weren't exactly landholders.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Is there a list of ways people get executed, I killed someone with a boar :stonk:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Is there a list of ways people get executed, I killed someone with a boar :stonk:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II\common\execution_methods

Or, well, wherever you installed the game in \Crusader Kings II\common\execution_methods. There's a text file with the code for how it decides what execution methods to use, and there's a lot of them.

Boar's a pretty rare method unless you're both Cruel and a Hunter, and is only available to rulers in Europe (there's an Indian equivalent but with a tiger, and likewise a lion one for Africa, plus a bear for everywhere except India and Africa), so congrats. Either you're really lucky, or you're an rear end in a top hat hunter. If the latter, your character can also personally hunt people down as a method of execution sometimes, as well as flay them, in addition to the aforementioned bear, so have fun.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 13, 2016

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I hadn't played CK+ in a while but this Carolingian Empire setup is light years ahead of the default 867 bookmark. Ditto with the pre-schism Chalcedonian Christianity.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I had a pair of identical twins in my college biology class. They both had leukemia when they were 7.

https://youtu.be/Q950bc2Yoz0

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
How bad is "Truce Breaker" ? I need to grab 5 more provinces from the HRE to reform the Roman Empire and I don't want to wait 50 years. No prospects for assassinating each Holy Roman Emperor at the moment to clear my truces...

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

GreenMarine posted:

How bad is "Truce Breaker" ? I need to grab 5 more provinces from the HRE to reform the Roman Empire and I don't want to wait 50 years. No prospects for assassinating each Holy Roman Emperor at the moment to clear my truces...

You lose half of all the prestige you have plus another two hundred, and you get a diplo penalty for a few years. How bad it is depends on how much prestige you have on your current character, I guess.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Roland Jones posted:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II\common\execution_methods

Or, well, wherever you installed the game in \Crusader Kings II\common\execution_methods. There's a text file with the code for how it decides what execution methods to use, and there's a lot of them.

Boar's a pretty rare method unless you're both Cruel and a Hunter, and is only available to rulers in Europe (there's an Indian equivalent but with a tiger, and likewise a lion one for Africa, plus a bear for everywhere except India and Africa), so congrats. Either you're really lucky, or you're an rear end in a top hat hunter. If the latter, your character can also personally hunt people down as a method of execution sometimes, as well as flay them, in addition to the aforementioned bear, so have fun.

Apparently the Aztecs are twice as likely to sacrifice someone if they're gay and four times as likely to stone them to death. Classy, Paradox.

Also the chance of performing a live burial and walling someone up is more likely for Gardeners and Architects respectively, which sort of makes sense, but why is it more likely for a drunkard to drown someone in a butt of wine? OK, he's more likely to have it around, but at the same time he wouldn't want to waste it.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Gay hearts are a better fuel source for the sun.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GreenMarine posted:

Set your chancellor to fabricate claims, since you can press multiple claims for yourself at once. In the truce from your first war, you should be able to fabricate multiple claims and get everything in two, maybe three wars.

Alternatively (and incompatibly with my other suggestion), pick up Depressed somehow and break your truces in the other direction.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skellybones posted:

Gay hearts are a better fuel source for the sun.

Where's your Quetzalcoatl Hates Fags sign, huh?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

Also the chance of performing a live burial and walling someone up is more likely for Gardeners

Oh, THAT explains my seemingly inexplicable burying alive of my cheating, syphilitic wife as a guy who was not cruel/impaler.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I didnt want to become the Emperor of Muslim Spain! I was playing the slow game! goddamnit!

Though I do have direct control over a few kingdoms as opposed to all my vassals being dukes and counts so thankfully the slow game worked well.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Ofaloaf posted:

oh.

As a student of late antiquity, I have SO MANY problems with these pictures. The religious setup is insane and half the cultures appear to be in the wrong place. Also, I like how nearly every duchy in Germany has its own culture, but there's a single Slavic megablob stretching from the Black Sea to (almost) the Gulf of Finland.

Mesopotamia one is okay, though. I'm sure I'd hate it more if I could see the culture/religion maps, but for quantity of provinces, it's pretty reasonable; there were a shitton of people living there in antiquity. Just needs a billion provinces in Egypt and Anatolia to balance it out (almost all of which could be removed from the Sahara, Jesus).

Edit:

Larry Parrish posted:

Is it me or is it weird that the Vandal kingdom is so tiny compared to the roaming desert tribes. I mean those guys made quite an impact at the time, but uh. They weren't exactly landholders.

Eh. One of the things about the Vandal kingdom in Africa is that it lost a lot of outlying land in the former Roman provinces to the Berbers. By the time Belisarius landed, it was largely reduced to Tunisia and some forts/coastal towns along the Algerian and Moroccan coastline. The Berbers themselves, or at least the ones who came to rule in the former provinces, were pretty Romanised and reasonably sophisticated; a lot of them probably didn't have their origins in "roaming desert tribes" so much as semi-Romanised local military units that just went self-sufficient and started running their own kingdoms once Roman power in north Africa had sufficiently withered.

The Sin of Onan fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
I would be cool with more Saharan provinces if they were all massive one slot nomadic oases. Could even an interesting challenge start.

• Locked thread