Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Is there anything for the Pro 12.9 that resembles the type of tablet keyboard that, instead of being a case, is just a keyboard with a divot/stand to prop the tablet up? I like the Smart Keyboard in terms of tactile feel and size, but a little unwieldy in terms of mechanism. I'd be totally fine with a separate thing if it's one piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Returned the Apple Silicone Case and Smart Keyboard and got the Logitech Create instead. Even discounting the price difference, this thing is worlds better than the Apple stuff. The keyboard is actually really good - I can touch type on it at just about full speed already, and I'm just getting better. The backlight is great. The function keys are great. It IS pretty thick, which is unfortunate - pulling it out of the case is easy enough though, and if you fold it down flat on the keyboard it's still pretty comfortable to use for consumption. When you consider it is nearly a $100 cheaper than the Apple keyboard+case, it is a great deal.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I almost want to get the Logitech Blok because of how loving ridiculous it looks

Weedle
May 31, 2006

dik-dik posted:

I almost want to get the Logitech Blok because of how loving ridiculous it looks

I got that one when I first got my iPad. It ended up being way too bulky for me, but it was solid and the keyboard felt nice. It's the Thinkpad of iPad cases.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It just turns the iPad into a Surface. That's seemingly exactly what it's aiming to do.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If anyone is running iOS 10 on their iPad, could you tell me if iBooks in landscape mode displays two pages? Mine only shows one, and I can't find a setting for that anywhere.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If anyone is running iOS 10 on their iPad, could you tell me if iBooks in landscape mode displays two pages? Mine only shows one, and I can't find a setting for that anywhere.

it does for me with reflowable books (epubs, etc.) but not with pdfs.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks. Guess mine is just messed up.

edit: deleting the iBooks app and reinstalling it seems to have fixed it. Nope, got it "fixed" but it seems it was a combo of text size and auto justification that made it switch to single page.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 9, 2016

chuck2020
Jan 14, 2007
FYI - new post in SA Mart for my Belkin QODE case for iPad Air, in case anyone is in the market for a great keyboard case

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789770

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
It's been a couple of years since I've used an iPad, as I upgraded to a 6+ when my old one broke instead of buying a new iPad.

However I just snagged a 12.9" pro off Craiglist with the keyboard for only $340. Chick said she didn't use it a whole lot. Everything is in great condition and Works fine.

Already Jailbroke it and have Kodi running on it.

Anything I may have missed out on in regards to what IPads can now do in the ~2 years I've not had one?

PS: I don't have the pencil, I think it's dumb.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The Pencil is great

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The Pencil was an opportunity missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7KLRNZi4sM

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BGrifter posted:

The Pencil was an opportunity missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7KLRNZi4sM
Make the airpods work as tiny pencils :colbert:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Hey my iPad 2 will support iOS10!

So I guess I can keep using it instead of buying an Air 2 or a Pro...

:confuoot:

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Three-Phase posted:

Hey my iPad 2 will support iOS10!

So I guess I can keep using it instead of buying an Air 2 or a Pro...

:confuoot:

Uh no it won't.
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios-10/

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So my 12.9" Pro makes a very audible air-whooshing-out of the bottom sound when I rest my hand on it when using a pencil. I can kinda squeeze it gently and it seems like quite a bit of air moving back and forth. Don't think I have ever noticed this before, anyone else experienced?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If I get the iPAd Pro 9.7 32GB how much will I hate life with 32GB? I will mostly have apps on it, productivity and games, and Swift Playground.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

updated my iPad pro to iOS 10 and after the install it went right to recovery mode! downloading 9.3.5 now apparently from itunes (its what it did by default) and will update again after that.

Edit

Looks like it's not just me

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/13/ios-10-update-bricking-iphones-and-ipads/

badjohny fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 13, 2016

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

jabro posted:

If I get the iPAd Pro 9.7 32GB how much will I hate life with 32GB? I will mostly have apps on it, productivity and games, and Swift Playground.

I have 32 and a 64GB phone and have about 15GB free on my iPad.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

I have 32 and a 64GB phone and have about 15GB free on my iPad.
Same case and having no issues. As long as you don't take a lot of photos or video with the iPad you should be fine.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Awesome, that is exactly the same setup I'll have. Thanks!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone here using a Logitech Create keyboard? I got one for my 9.7 inch Pro and it's been mostly good except it does a pretty lovely job of actually keeping the iPad in it's case. As in I've found it unseated and sliding half out of the closed folio a few times. You have to make sure it clicks in place when putting the iPad in the case. And when picking it up later, and apparently every time you want to hold it for any extended period of time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't have that problem with the 12.9" one. My problem with it is that it's huge and makes using a tablet rather than a laptop completely pointless.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is anyone here using a Logitech Create keyboard? I got one for my 9.7 inch Pro and it's been mostly good except it does a pretty lovely job of actually keeping the iPad in it's case. As in I've found it unseated and sliding half out of the closed folio a few times. You have to make sure it clicks in place when putting the iPad in the case. And when picking it up later, and apparently every time you want to hold it for any extended period of time.

Mine is fine, but I do have to make sure it's in there all the way.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

jabro posted:

Really depends on how much you expect to use it. I have a 64 GB iPad Air 2 with 49 GB free. Could definitely have gone would a 32GB for my uses but the fact that iPad storage is non-expandable spooked me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I loaded up my 64GB iPad with games and now I have like 5 GB free

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Oh no!

Now I can spend several hundred dollars on a new iPad! :confuoot:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

Mine is fine, but I do have to make sure it's in there all the way.

I do that too, but it still seems to slip out. Exactly what you don't want your iPad to do.

Out of curiosity, are all of your keys backlit? My right cursor key isn't and since it's the last key in the corner I'm wondering if it's always been that way.

Sounds like I need a warranty replacement.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

I do that too, but it still seems to slip out. Exactly what you don't want your iPad to do.

Out of curiosity, are all of your keys backlit? My right cursor key isn't and since it's the last key in the corner I'm wondering if it's always been that way.

Sounds like I need a warranty replacement.

Yeah, yours sounds a bit broken. Mine comes out easily but never just randomly pops out.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
So is there any way to get get straight to the pin code screen on my non-touchID iPad, or am I stuck doing a slow double tap now?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm guessing this is a hard negative, but my co-worker asked me about an ipad 2 that she was gifted from her extended family-- however set it up with an icloud account that no one can access now or can't remember or something (it only says j*****@yahoo.com and no one knows even what email that is).

It looks like she already tried reformatting it, but she's stuck on the icloud log in once question it asks for wifi/network. I'm guessing she's screwed since it is the same icloud locks symptoms as a stolen ipad?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jeeves posted:

. I'm guessing she's screwed since it is the same icloud locks symptoms as a stolen ipad?

That is correct.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jeeves posted:

I'm guessing this is a hard negative, but my co-worker asked me about an ipad 2 that she was gifted from her extended family-- however set it up with an icloud account that no one can access now or can't remember or something (it only says j*****@yahoo.com and no one knows even what email that is).

It looks like she already tried reformatting it, but she's stuck on the icloud log in once question it asks for wifi/network. I'm guessing she's screwed since it is the same icloud locks symptoms as a stolen ipad?

If she can get the person who originally purchased the iPad to help out, Apple will unlock it with proof-of-purchase.

Oh, wait I missed this part "no one knows even what email that is". That sounds suspicious to me, and it's most likely a chargeable paper weight now.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

flosofl posted:

If she can get the person who originally purchased the iPad to help out, Apple will unlock it with proof-of-purchase.

Oh, wait I missed this part "no one knows even what email that is". That sounds suspicious to me, and it's most likely a chargeable paper weight now.

This is probably why it was gifted to her, even if it probably was not malicious (stolen/etc). The story is that some family member just has no more idea of that email anymore.

I am simply amazed how more people don't use something like Keepass to just write down every password you use ever.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

jeeves posted:

This is probably why it was gifted to her, even if it probably was not malicious (stolen/etc). The story is that some family member just has no more idea of that email anymore.

I am simply amazed how more people don't use something like Keepass to just write down every password you use ever.

I'm simply amazed at how many people treat the appleID like its some throwaway account and forget the password or tie it to some email account they never use. :psyduck:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's been awhile, but I feel like they used to *really* push you to use .me/.icloud/.whatevertheotheronewas accounts rather than whatever your regular email is, but it's been awhile.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

It's been awhile, but I feel like they used to *really* push you to use .me/.icloud/.whatevertheotheronewas accounts rather than whatever your regular email is, but it's been awhile.
.mac!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Snuffman posted:

I'm simply amazed at how many people treat the appleID like its some throwaway account and forget the password or tie it to some email account they never use. :psyduck:

Yeah, now my coworker has a useless ipad2 32GB due to this!

Sad, that thing is still marginally usable unlike this ipad1 that I have been playing with which seems to be utterly useless.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok but seriously how do you unlock an iPad Air on iOS 10? Swiping doesn't do poo poo anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hit the home button.