Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The solution is to not play Combustible Gearhulk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Other options: prize packs, showing off the immense wealth you have from your part-time job.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there anything appealing for Torrential Gear to flashback? Besides 2-3 mana utility cards (e.g., removal, grapple)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i hope whoever designed combustible gearhulk is combusted

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think combustible gearhulk would be the worst of the cycle even if your opponent didn't have the option to avoid the damage.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Is there anything appealing for Torrential Gear to flashback? Besides 2-3 mana utility cards (e.g., removal, grapple)

Scour the Laboratory but in general the card seems like a very natural fit in a UB control deck to, yes, flash back utility and potentially also ambush attackers

e: if combustible gearhulk had haste instead of first strike it would actually be on par with the others I think, but as is it's kind of lame

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Punisher cards are getting better as they realized that attaching the effects to aggressive bodies is the way to do it, and to not make it a set theme so that a lot of lovely commons have to carry it.

Sin Prodder is a good mans by being a 3/2 with evasion for 3 beyond its upkeep trigger. Combustible Gearhulk isn't quite there but the draw 3/get pinged decision is backed by a 6/6.

So it's not that bad, sheesh.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i think skysovereign and combustible gearhulk had their abilities swapped somewhere (for the overall better of the set)

skysovereign has the reliable burn ability while gearhulk has the coercive, extortive ability

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

i think skysovereign and combustible gearhulk had their abilities swapped somewhere (for the overall better of the set)

skysovereign has the reliable burn ability while gearhulk has the coercive, extortive ability

If it had Skysovereign's burn it'd be a worse Inferno Titan.

Better to make it do something novel, I believe.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I can't wait to take my buddy to the LGS to teach him to play the game, have him stick around for the midnight pre-release, and then watch him open a Sword while I open nothing.

I'm being completely serious here.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I know it will be rare but cracking half of those expeditions in a limited format is going to be nuts, especially any of the swords.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Sad realization when you realize that pack weighing is probably going to be a thing because of the expeditions.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sickening posted:

Sad realization when you realize that pack weighing is probably going to be a thing because of the expeditions.
Every decent store I've ever been to has explicitly banned pack weighing with anything more complicated than just picking the packs up with your hands. If you're worried about it, though, you might wanna hit up your FLGS and ask about their policy/advise them to ban it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Every decent store I've ever been to has explicitly banned pack weighing with anything more complicated than just picking the packs up with your hands. If you're worried about it, though, you might wanna hit up your FLGS and ask about their policy/advise them to ban it.

That's okay, I'll go to my local target and or walmart and do it there.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Count Bleck posted:

That's okay, I'll go to my local target and or walmart and do it there.

Jokes on you, the stockboy already did it before putting them out.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Its the stores I am worried about, not the customers.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Sickening posted:

Its the stores I am worried about, not the customers.

I think it's getting to the point where you have to buy a sealed box or nothing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
They can fix it by doing the MM thing and puting a foil in every pack.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

They can fix it by doing the MM thing and puting a foil in every pack.

Yeah haha okay buddy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Foil 1/1 human token. Foil reminder text card. (Realtalk, foil tokens would make bank on the secondary market.)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Got a nice little pickup from Mead Hall's charity event this past weekend! :toot:

Now to keep my cat from eating it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Got a nice little pickup from Mead Hall's charity event this past weekend! :toot:

Good lord that is a terrible camera.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Hellsau posted:

Good lord that is a terrible camera.

I was thinking the exact same thing, honestly

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Why doesn't it have a booster pack? 0/10

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Toshimo posted:

Why doesn't it have a booster pack? 0/10

The idiot didn't weigh it first

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Poison Mushroom posted:

Foil 1/1 human token. Foil reminder text card. (Realtalk, foil tokens would make bank on the secondary market.)

More foil tokens would be awesome.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

More foil tokens would be awesome.

Have they done foil tokens before? I can't recall any.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

C-Euro posted:

Eldritch moon had dfc foil zombie tokens in prerelease packs.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

C-Euro posted:

FTV Lore has a Foil Marit Lage token to go with your Foil Dark Depths, as well as the Eldritch Moon Prerelease foil dfc zombie token. those are the two i know.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

You guys like to laugh at Mr. Alpha Investments, right?

-$10000 dollar loss :laffo:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

quote:

still sitting at NEGATIVE -10,585.27 from a starting point of -19,250.00. I do believe by the end of the year i should approach Break even cash flow while retaining the foils...at least that is my goal.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

The Lord of Hats posted:

Awwww

The entry fee for the events looked pretty reasonable considering it was a fundraiser with a playmat and raffle tickets.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm going to buy and crack 250 boxes of a set explicitly designed for drafting and then complain about the lack of constructed value.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm going to buy and crack 250 boxes of a set explicitly designed for drafting and then complain about the lack of constructed value.
"Don't buy packs for anything except drafting... because whatever you're looking for, Alpha Investments already has thirty of them."

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

foil marchesa is like 10x the price of non foil marchesa (3/30)

just checked. the gap has widened between foil and non foil...still I dont know why he brought so many boxes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

What a complete and utter moron.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Seriously, though, economically speaking, there have to be people like him for buying singles to be a better value than just buying and turning over packs, because if there weren't, and everyone was going hand-to-mouth, or selling literally everything the moment they're done with a draft, demand would greatly outstrip supply very quickly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Man that's close to 400 drafts worth of cards.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i really am baffled at how mtg turned into amateur stock market for people who believe they're geniuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

i really am baffled at how mtg turned into amateur stock market for people who believe they're geniuses
The only person I've ever met personally who did make money purely as a card-investor (rather than as a store owner or a website or whatever) did it in Yugioh, where the prices are notoriously susceptible to being manipulated, and even then, it was mostly on force of personality, and being able to charm people into selling him cards pretty significantly below market value a very respectable chunk of the time.

Someone much smarter than me once said that buying is where you make your money, but selling is where you get it.

• Locked thread