Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rabidsquid posted:

i really am baffled at how mtg turned into amateur stock market for people who believe they're geniuses

I know right? You'd think those kinds of people wouldn't have any money available since they'd have invested their entire savings into bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

even then that person you're referring to probably didn't count their own hours working those cards. but most people who view tcg cards as real investments don't value their own time at all

Hellsau posted:

I know right? You'd think those kinds of people wouldn't have any money available since they'd have invested their entire savings into bitcoin.

i think a decent amount of them are just single white males with tech jobs and nothing to do with their cash, and also who think they are the smartest person in the room

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Magic: The Gathering Online eXchange

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

rabidsquid posted:

even then that person you're referring to probably didn't count their own hours working those cards. but most people who view tcg cards as real investments don't value their own time at all
Probably not. He mostly considered it a hobby. (I'm terrified of what a person who finds fleecing people a fun hobby will do once he's actually applying himself towards a business.)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Poison Mushroom posted:

Seriously, though, economically speaking, there have to be people like him for buying singles to be a better value than just buying and turning over packs, because if there weren't, and everyone was going hand-to-mouth, or selling literally everything the moment they're done with a draft, demand would greatly outstrip supply very quickly.

I'm not entirely convinced of that. The system requires people (e.g. retailers) to be willing to open packs while the EV is positive - it doesn't really require idiots to buy enormous numbers of packs and take a huge loss on them.

Even if pack EV is close to the value of an unopened pack, singles remain better value, because you don't end up with a bunch of undesired cards that you'd take a loss on if you wanted to turn them back into cash.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jabor posted:

I'm not entirely convinced of that. The system requires people (e.g. retailers) to be willing to open packs while the EV is positive - it doesn't really require idiots to buy enormous numbers of packs and take a huge loss on them.

Even if pack EV is close to the value of an unopened pack, singles remain better value, because you don't end up with a bunch of undesired cards that you'd take a loss on if you wanted to turn them back into cash.
That's true. Card speculation really is one of the places where buying in bulk is internally-enforced as being better, as well as by normal market forces.

Someone please post a spoiler or something before I turn this thread into LF the Gathering.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Someone please post a spoiler or something before I turn this thread into LF the Gathering.

Can't be worse than counterfeit chat or going over how bad punisher cards tend to be.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Magic: The Gathering Online eXchange

If they'd stayed a Magic site they'd probably still be in business/out of jail.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I like that for the Combustible Gearhulk, the cost of each option is hidden. And even if you scry, your opponent doesn't know if you put cheap or expensive cards on top.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
http://mythicspoiler.com/kld/cards/consulspower.html

This seems good.

Really good.

EDIT:

quote:

Consul's Power
W
Enchantment
Creatures your opponents control enter the battlefield tapped.

Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponents control, you gain 1 life.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zemyla posted:

I like that for the Combustible Gearhulk, the cost of each option is hidden. And even if you scry, your opponent doesn't know if you put cheap or expensive cards on top.

Yeah, this is what I think is required for punisher cards to work at all. Hopefully in pans out, though I think he'll still be weaker than the other four.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Holy poo poo. At least Thalia had legs and was in Shock range.

W: Hose target aggro deck.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Oh baby, just what my UW Merfolk experiment needed against Norin Sisters, Burn, hell it even helps against Elves by keeping them from chaining Heritage Druid and suppressing Instant-speed blockers. A+

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That is one hell of a Modern sideboard card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I have a couple of problems with this card in Modern. You essentially need it in your opener against the deck you most want it (Burn) and while the abilities are powerful you're gaining 2-3 life in the general best cases.

It does help hose Elves pretty well too, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Shortest Path posted:

That is one hell of a Modern sideboard card.

Yeah I'm definitely going to pick up two or three early on if I can.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

I have a couple of problems with this card in Modern. You essentially need it in your opener against the deck you most want it (Burn) and while the abilities are powerful you're gaining 2-3 life in the general best cases.

It does help hose Elves pretty well too, though.
Counter-argument: It's like Leyline but with a side-benefit against Elves instead of against discard.

Edit VVV It's probably gonna find a happy spot in white midrange, then, next to Thraben Inspector?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 13, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

This card is weird because it's working at cross purposes. Your opponent's dudes coming into play tapped is a beatdown ability, because it means the creatures your opponent summons can't block. The life gain is a control ability because, well, it keeps you alive.

Also I don't think it's very good because I don't think either half is worth a card and in this case, the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Elyv posted:

This card is weird because it's working at cross purposes. Your opponent's dudes coming into play tapped is a beatdown ability, because it means the creatures your opponent summons can't block. The life gain is a control ability because, well, it keeps you alive.

Also I don't think it's very good because I don't think either half is worth a card and in this case, the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts.

Opponents' dudes coming in tapped means that haste doesn't matter, which defangs a lot of combo stuff. Through the Breach, Nahiri, Kiki-Jiki...

Probably gonna pocket a playset of these.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Opponent's dudes coming into play taps shuts off haste creatures (Goblin Guide, Swiftspear Through the Breach) and poo poo like Heritage Druid. It's definitely a control ability in that respect.

I mean it's only great against three relevant decks (Burn/Zoo, elfball, grishoalbrand or whatever the gently caress it's being called now) and Soul Sisters but it's still not bad.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 13, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

Opponents' dudes coming in tapped means that haste doesn't matter, which defangs a lot of combo stuff. Through the Breach, Nahiri, Kiki-Jiki...

This doesn't defang Nahiri as well as you might be thinking :v:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
It also stops creatures from crewing vehicles immediately.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
The life gain is marginal for most matchups, but the tap effect one turn earlier than, say, Blind Obedience, can be huge.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Still not as good as Root Maze, though, which wrecks fetches.

I'm perpetually disappointed nobody has come up with a use for that card in Modern or Legacy.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

TheKingofSprings posted:

This doesn't defang Nahiri as well as you might be thinking :v:

True, I haven't played Modern in a while, but she does need to spend a turn and 2 points dealing with it, at least.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This seems much better in Modern than in Standard... Definitely a good SB card against a number of decks.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Good, an anti-haste card. What standard needs right now is an anti-aggro card, but like, one that only hoses red aggro without affecting white aggro.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Good, an anti-haste card. What standard needs right now is an anti-aggro card, but like, one that only hoses red aggro without affecting white aggro.

it's pre-hosing the baneslayer angel reprint

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
no wait i think i meant akroma, my bad

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Lightning Greaves is going to be standard legal soon so it'll hose white aggro too.

Yes I know this isn't true.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

This card seems like trash against Nahiri; you're spending a card to delay their kill by 2 turns(since they can just -2 on your enchantment at their leisure). It's solid against TTB but it certainly doesn't beat them, since they can just tap 6 mana instead. It's also okay against kiki-jiki but again, only against the combo.

I don't think the card is useless, just that it's not worth the space.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

It's solid against TTB but it certainly doesn't beat them, since they can just tap 6 mana instead.

Worse than that, you can just Through the Breach at the end of the opponent's turn, get the Titan triggers, then untap and attack for the other trigger. I guess it delays by a turn?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

nevermind, I'm dumb

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Just noticed a really nice detail in the Masterpiece cards.

The artwork for Steel Overseer has in the background of it a Hangarback Walker (the Masterpiece one to be specific). That's a great touch.

EDIT: And vice versa; you can see the Steel Overseer in the background of the Hangarback Walker's art

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 13, 2016

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

You guys like to laugh at Mr. Alpha Investments, right?

-$10000 dollar loss :laffo:

"I haven't played magic in years so I'm not sure what is good but this card is worth more than a dollar!" "When I did play magic i played Shops"

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

LordSaturn posted:

end of turn breach, untap, swing works. As does EOT kiki. it does buy you a turn, though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You have to sacrifice the creature for Through the Breach at end of turn.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's not end of turn, it's at the beginning of your next end phase. So there's a loophole if you cast it during an end-phase.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's not end of turn, it's at the beginning of your next end phase. So there's a loophole if you cast it during an end-phase.

what

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=80250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Read the oracle text.

• Locked thread