Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

what's this, a new zachtronics game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5TbHcK_qvE

fuckin :getin:

i like...i don't get this. it's not even one step removed from just building the thing for real, or running a circuit simulator. why do you need to make a video game about it?

it's like, i don't know, a game about cooking dinner. just cook dinner

Roosevelt posted:

the best bond girl name is Pussy Galore

dr. holly goodhead

i'm chewbacca

when i used to play arma 2 with the goons there was one guy who became a running joke after he tried to take command of the mission and order people around saying "look, i've been in the poo poo at the big airsoft shoot, and--" (cut off by universal mocking)

there were people playing that game where you'd be like "hey i notice you always take the heavy machine gun slot" and they'd go "ah, yeah, well, i carried one of these things for two years in iraq" but no, the big airsoft shoot

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

i like...i don't get this. it's not even one step removed from just building the thing for real, or running a circuit simulator. why do you need to make a video game about it?

it's like, i don't know, a game about cooking dinner. just cook dinner

i didnt want to be a dick about it but yeah. just get some breadboards and chips at that point

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

for fucks sake it's not even that hard to get into the military or even do well, i'm a scrawny nerd and still made it through mountain infantry training, it took me 13 minutes to do a 1 mile 'run' when i entered

the best was all the guys that entered under 18X contracts, which was basically you signed up for special forces and the recruiters knew 99% of them wouldn't make it and they'd get infantry guys anyways, but everyone wanted to be the big bad tacticool operator

like seriously what goes on in someones head to make them think playing airsoft is in any way comparable to being an actual soldier?

also heavy machine guns for life! M240B HOOAH!

now i'm beginning to think the group i played arma with for a few weeks may have just been a bunch of airsofters because they took that poo poo way too seriously and every prior service guy i ever played with just wanted to gently caress around and have fun, fly by the seat of their pants

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

then again i do notice non-combat jobs are definitely more likely to be like that, i know an EOD guy i'm friends with that's just thankful he still has all of his limbs, showed me a picture of him out with some friends and both of them were double amputees

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
soldier, you will use approved phonetics on this channel

dont forget, MilfSlitter75 and xXxStoned_GokuxXx are alpha team ALPHA

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i was a very recalcitrant recruit and still made it

basically run & shoot. pretty easy. i think basic would be fun as gently caress now, from my lofty position of 39 years. hell, i'd be older than most of the drill sergeants

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
what is stoned_goku's power level

something between like 6 and whoaoaoaaaa

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

ugh gently caress going through basic again, each of my drill sergeants were 2-3 deployment combat vets and were borderline insane, i mean when one is telling you the story of how he curbstomped a haji so hard he still has brains on the boot he used and keeps it as a trophy you know something is hosed up

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Apocadall posted:

ugh gently caress going through basic again, each of my drill sergeants were 2-3 deployment combat vets and were borderline insane, i mean when one is telling you the story of how he curbstomped a haji so hard he still has brains on the boot he used and keeps it as a trophy you know something is hosed up

jusst going to the stripmall recruitment poo poo after nein elephant was poo poo

here's my polaroid collection from the highway of death

oh well, laters

i'd never pass the drug tests at meps anyways so seeaya

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Apocadall posted:

i had a tit basic. i didnt think so at the time but i was barely 18 and retarded even for an 18 year old. had i been active i probably would have wound up in bosnia but i enlisted during a relatively peaceful time in us history (1995). go me i guess, ride the wave of dumb luck all the way home

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Apocadall posted:

now i'm beginning to think the group i played arma with for a few weeks may have just been a bunch of airsofters because they took that poo poo way too seriously and every prior service guy i ever played with just wanted to gently caress around and have fun, fly by the seat of their pants

the real vets and active duty guys were universally cool and pretty easygoing, although not super friendly. i can't presume to imagine what veteran psychology is like or what's going through their heads when they play an army simulator, though.

the people who take arma seriously are some of the worst people to play games with in the entire world, even moreso than people who take flight sims too seriously.

there's an arma clan that pretends to be a real army regiment. all of the players are ranked, and there are promotions handed out by the upper ranks based on mission performance. besides all the obvious stuff like maintaining real-life radio protocol and getting kicked from the game for firing your weapon when you haven't been cleared to do so, in-game when a superior officer walks past, you have to salute them (there is a key for this). violating this will get you disciplined. after every mission you must go on their forums and post an after-action report (which follows a specific format based on real AARs). failure to do this will also result in disciplinary action.

just
join
the
fuckin'
army

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh and there's a mod they all play with called ACE that adds a bunch of terrible spergy poo poo like a healing system where you have to remember which of ten different drugs and techniques to apply for each injury and in what order or you'll kill the guy. and night-vision goggles that don't have auto-brightness because it's more realistic if you have to simulate loving with the dial all the time. but the best part is that it changes the weight limits for your guy, so that if you carry more than fifty pounds of gear you will continuously fall over and pass out if you move at more than a walking pace -- i can only assume this was based on the physical fitness levels of the mod authors

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i dunno there is a moral dimension involved in being a real live army person that playing computer games doesn't really cross into

although from the sound of it i doubt many of these people are committed pacifists

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
war, much like video games, is for children

makes perfect sense

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

the only thing i liked about ACE was the positional voice communication and letting mountains and stuff interfere with radio, that was a pretty cool addition, beyond that lol

also you're probably more likely to find pacifists in prior service guys because they actually understand first hand how horrible war is, games can't exactly capture having to watch a good friend of a couple years bleed out in a killzone by sniper fire and being unable to do anything to help them in time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

i dunno there is a moral dimension involved in being a real live army person that playing computer games doesn't really cross into

although from the sound of it i doubt many of these people are committed pacifists

there were plenty of jokes about durka durka and eliminating hajjis from what i remember

Apocadall posted:

the only thing i liked about ACE was the positional voice communication and letting mountains and stuff interfere with radio, that was a pretty cool addition, beyond that lol

that's ACRE, which is a good mod

ACE is the sperghole funtactular that adds every feature that sucks and 1 million variants of the M4

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

now that i've discovered this i have no need for vaporwave https://www.apmmusic.com/search/%5B%7B%22field%22%3A%22genre%22%2C%22value%22%3A%22Corporate%22%2C%22operation%22%3A%22must%22%7D%5D

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/wwwtxt/status/537928129181122560

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
basic training sounds like a fun adventure doing pushups with shirtless bros in the woods and riding ziplines or whatever but i wouldnt wanna have to go and shoot real people afterwards

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

maxe posted:

basic training sounds like a fun adventure doing pushups with shirtless bros in the woods and riding ziplines or whatever but i wouldnt wanna have to go and shoot real people afterwards

yeah

i never had to, military welfare queens represent

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6kaU2sgPqo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

did u guys like the military? most of my buddies who joined didn't really.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jzoGce5WJU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Panty Saluter posted:

i had a tit basic. i didnt think so at the time but i was barely 18 and retarded even for an 18 year old. had i been active i probably would have wound up in bosnia but i enlisted during a relatively peaceful time in us history (1995). go me i guess, ride the wave of dumb luck all the way home

i have a friend in the same boat. joined the marines between the two iraq wars and somehow mannaged to miss bosnia. spent the entire time after basic in okinawa repairing vehicles and loving japanese girls.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

eh, i should have picked a different job but it's not the worst life and keeps you busy at least, and the pay isn't that terrible when you factor in all of the benefits and stuff

it's just mentally and physically draining

overall i didn't mind the military life that much, the routine to things was nice and though there was a lot of downtime you just felt like part of a big machine that operated surprisingly smoothly all things considered and i like that rigor and function it had

hard to find that again in the civilian world

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

PokeJoe posted:

not a mil goon here by any means, but the quote i hear often is "i wouldn't give up the experience for anything but i would never have joined if i knew what it was going to be like" or something to that effect

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lQ11bTohCk

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

the only dude i know who absolutely loved the military is gay and reallllyy loves macho military dudes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the military is for suckers

why do you think they recruit outta hs so hard

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Trig Discipline posted:

the only dude i know who absolutely loved the military is gay and reallllyy loves macho military dudes

i have it on good authority that jacking off is strictly prohibited but there's no rules for washing your deeyock really really thoroughly

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC66mDMTAoQ

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the military is for suckers

why do you think they recruit outta hs so hard

also didn't help with how much post 9/11 propaganda we got, especially from games targeted at that demographic

you also had things like america's army giving you special tags in game for joining the military

really hosed up looking back on it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i loved how up front they were w/ america's army being a recruiting tool

when is the drone game coming out i want to shoot xXxsToNeD_gOkUxXx's wedding

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

everyone in my highschool took the ASVAB and then recruiters called you and pestered you to join up.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i got max scores and the air force wanted to eat my balls so bad

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
so if you respond with things like "I don't think i'd be able to follow orders that don't seem sensible or intelligent to me" do they go away or does it not register.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i got max scores and the air force wanted to eat my balls so bad

lol same, asvab is like sat lite and i "qualified" for everything

but the marines got my home phone number somehow

-do you like sports?

-uh i snowboard

-awesome, do you like to party?

-i uh guess so (thinking about smoking weed)

-that's great because NOBODY PARTIES HARDER THAN THE MARINES!!!

-um okay i have to go now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

someone found the actual super hornio bros 1 tape and nobody told me??? I could digitize it in less than a year this time

• Locked thread