Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Raskolnikov posted:

White board cleaner. :geno:

Cool. But why do they have a shot glass next to it? Is this some perverted Stimpire drinking game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Raskolnikov posted:

This legal inquiry has been sent to the wrong business! That said, we will refund them their money... TOTALLY AT OUR DISCRETION THOUGH REALLY.

:perfect:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Einbauschrank posted:

Cool. But why do they have a shot glass next to it? Is this some perverted Stimpire drinking game?

would you believe me if I said it's a cap to the white board cleaner?

because it is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

they have no mysteries from us!

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Yeah I could have not have typed that into google. It's a good thing I didn't ask you for how it applies to games in particular.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

:justpost:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
My next cunning plan didn't work out quite so well.

Murdering people in a com-sat does start piling up some "evidence" in the form of abandoned ships. Now I can jump in these ships and steal them (Yarrr ! ) but unfortunaly this version of the alpha doesn't yet have a full economy so I can't sell them (Arrrr :() . Flying them out far enough from the station not to be spotted and then EVA'ing back is a bit of a ballache if your as lazy as me, so I needed another solution.

I hit upon the genius idea of setting them to self destruct. A nice, tidy low-effort method of cleaning up while the original owner is busy getting vacuum-preserved via the holes I put in his space suit.

Well...not such a great idea. Turns out the Anvil's self-destruct timer is shorter than the disembark animation.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Raskolnikov posted:

because it is.

In my mind canon they all have to drink heavily to make it through the day. :colbert:

gently caress Occam's Razor!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

orcane posted:

Well...not such a great idea. Turns out the Anvil's self-destruct timer is shorter than the disembark animation.

Brilliant!

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

D_Smart posted:

nope. That's Jo Guest; courtesy of Take Two circa 1996

Ahh Jo Guest :D Seeing her on a Celeb show where they took some South American mushrooms and trip balls was hilarious.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Is it? Just a video game?

Or is it the dream project, the magnum opus, of a celebrated game designer who's been waiting his whole life to make?

Or even more than that; isn't it the fulfillment of a sci-fi geek's dream to make THE ultimate sci-fi game? That's more relatable, isn't it? Most of us were kids when we were first exposed to sci-fi. Many of us dreamed about having our own ship and flying among the stars. Chris Robert's just happened to have that dream AND skillset and inclination to build an interactive experience that would ignite the imaginations of thousands of fans.

Further; isn't it the journey and shared experience of thousands of gamers who want to see something with some loving heart make it past the ten-thousand foot wall of cynicism saying it cant be done?

Even further... Isn't it kind of a rallying point? A dream? An opportunity to be a part of something that threw the finger to the man (EA/Activision etc) and said 'I'll make my own game with blackjack and hookers' and to not just say it, but actually loving do it?

Isn't it the daily life of four studios worth of developers? Three hundred plus human beings working crazy hours to make something bigger and more daring than they would have ever been allowed anywhere else?

For us, the crazy fans who are cheering them on.

Maybe to you it's 'just a video game' but to a lot of us, it's a whole lot more.

That doesn't mean people get to abdicate reason in it's defense, but neither can you reasonably criticize someone's feelings about the project. You can devalue anything by saying 'it's JUST a thing'. Doesn't make it right.

Pink Floyd's "The Wall" was just an album
Blade Runner was 'just a movie'

...you get the idea.

The virtue of a thing need not be only in its substance, but can also be in what it represents what it's tied to.

TLDR; Nothing is 'just' anything to everyone. And I'm sorry it's 'just a video' game to you.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

PoorMoralCompass posted:

Yeah I could have not have typed that into google. It's a good thing I didn't ask you for how it applies to games in particular.

Let me start again so I sound like less of a cock. Because I asked that question stupidly, thinking you'd get the drift with the phrasing. (that's asking tons of anybody on the internet HOW DARE YOU DIDN'T HEAR MY TONE)
Okay, getting a 'vertical slice', how is that different in games than in other software, would you imagine? With games, how does fun factor into it? Is that a milestone, or should you start with something fun?

I kind of was curious about your opinion hence my asking you . :butt:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is Jo Guest the one whose nose fell off because of cocaine?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
A game vertical slice should be fun since it's a small but complete set of assets that demonstrates its playability. A space sim demo level with one ship with one weapon load out where you fight a couple of enemies should be at least somewhat engaging, it's got the handling and physics, damage system, ammo counting, explosions, stars in the background etc. You've just demonstrated that you can make a game that people are able to play for a couple of minutes without being bored to death or crashing. It might have blank REPLACE ME textures and WRITE THING HERE localisation on the HUD, but all the moving parts are there and working.

CIG haven't done this.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

PoorMoralCompass posted:

If you want the no B.S. answer, it's a proof of concept demo. You basically show it to shareholders or publishers to show how the game will function. There's a feeling that it should be at least 10% of the finished game, but really, it has to show in working order all the gameplay elements. It should show working concepts, like if there's a game economy or crafting system, it has to show a rudimentary version of those gameplay loops. If you have some sort of radical new concept, you better be showing that poo poo. A vertical slice doesn't have to be polished, placeholder graphics and items can be everywhere in a vertical slice, but it should work.

In relation to Star Citizen, they don't even have that. Essentially, anything promised by Roberts in the original pitch should be working to some degree, but it's not. RSI/CIG should have at least one ship working to test out gameplay and physics instead of trying to incorporate a dozen broken ones into a buggy engine, because once you have one type of ship or weapon or gameplay element, you can work on that and evolve the gameplay.

For a Star Citizen vertical slice it would need to have
  • Basic movement
  • Basic FPS combat
  • Buy a ship in game
  • Build and/or outfit ship in game
  • Board a ship
  • Fly a ship
  • Ship-to-ship combat
  • Salvage ships
  • Land a ship
  • Sell a ship in game
All of this, perhaps with boarding combat with the localized physics grids, with no weird physics glitches, no sudden T-poses, no funky hit detection, no workarounds, etc.

The shitizens are right in calling it a pre-alpha, but at the same time, a functional, non-buggy version of the game as it is now is what Roberts would have pitched to a publisher. It something that he would have already in hand, instead of taking almost three years to get to this point.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN2sqEkVV5E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ei8YcoA_6E

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So was moma busy because of the refunds or because of LEGAL

Remember when he complained that work suddenly got busy over the weekend. Now it seems that SC is in legal troubles. Airtight TOS indeed, SCpilotman!

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

mike12345 posted:

Is Jo Guest the one whose nose fell off because of cocaine?

think that was Danniella Westbrook

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Out of all of these that you've posted, this one made be burst into laughter. edit: Humility, is that you?

:lol:

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 13, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

You know game level probably was vertical slice? Doom E1M1. It basically has everything you know about the game: it's first person; you can attack monsters with your choice of fists or guns; your ammunition, armor, and health are limited; you can pick up ammo, armor, health, and additional weapons; your enemies can attack you with their own melee attacks or with hitscan or projectile weapons; the maps have areas that can harm you or have secret doors that can contain secret caches or routes; there's objects that can harm you or your enemies; and there's an defined exit. The gameplay evolves later on, with enemies having higher health, being faster, flying, invisible or using some variant form of those three attack vectors (or, in the case of Doom II's the Archvile, the ability to resurrect enemies); your own weapons building on those same three attack types with different effects (for example, the rocket launcher, plasma gun, and BFG are all projectile weapons, but differ by having splash damage or generating its own hitscan attacks); power-ups granting invisibility, berserker strength, or invincibility. But iD had to walk before running with those elements and you can see it with E1M1.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Young Freud posted:

You know game level probably was vertical slice? Doom E1M1. It basically has everything you know about the game: it's first person; you can attack monsters with your choice of fists or guns; your ammunition, armor, and health are limited; you can pick up ammo, armor, health, and additional weapons; your enemies can attack you with their own melee attacks or with hitscan or projectile weapons; the maps have areas that can harm you or have secret doors that can contain secret caches or routes; there's objects that can harm you or your enemies; and there's an defined exit. The gameplay evolves later on, with enemies having higher health, being faster, flying, invisible or using some variant form of those three attack vectors (or, in the case of Doom II's the Archvile, the ability to resurrect enemies); your own weapons building on those same three attack types with different effects (for example, the rocket launcher, plasma gun, and BFG are all projectile weapons, but differ by having splash damage or generating its own hitscan attacks); power-ups granting invisibility, berserker strength, or invincibility. But iD had to walk before running with those elements and you can see it with E1M1.

You are correct:

quote:

Inspiration and development
In the Doom Bible, the original design document for Doom written by Tom Hall in 1992, the first level of Episode 1 of the game was supposed to be a spaceship hangar called Hangar 2. It is described as fallen to disuse, and now serving as a storage for used up equipment and junk. In one of the rooms the soldiers play cards in their free time. Unlike E1M1 in the released game, this hangar was supposed to be carved into the wall of a canyon. The Doom v0.4 alpha version featured an initial level based on the concept of Hangar 2 as described in the Doom Bible. It was, however, later redesigned to become E2M7:Spawning Vats in the released game.

E1M1 showcased the new capabilities of the Doom engine, such as different height levels that can be reached with the help of stairs or lifts, windows through which you can see outdoor areas and the sky, non-orthogonal walls and environment hazards like the nukage pools.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Gradis posted:

think that was Danniella Westbrook

yeah I was thinking of her

ahmini
May 5, 2009

Young Freud posted:

TBH, from a superficial standpoint, I don't think CIG would have a problem developing an E1M1 concept. The problem is that they would do it in an a way that simply doesn't scale to a full game. If you look at just about anything that CIG have put out, it is always with the goal of generating hype and ship sales. Their thinking is short term in the extreme. They lurch through a turgid series of "pre-alpha" revisions, whilst generating separate builds for demos that seemingly can't be integrated back into the main build without producing a janky mess.

In Doom, E1M1 was created to showcase the existing engine/gameplay. In SC, the engine/gameplay basics simply don't exist in any meaningful way and are created in an ad hoc manner specifically to produce a glossy demo to sell ships. We'll probably see more of this at ShitizenCon.

ahmini fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 13, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think cig would have trouble spelling the words "video game" at this point

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

PoorMoralCompass posted:

Sorry, but my time is better spent poo poo-posting; not regurgitating something that is well documented, so I can spend my valuable time writing it all up again because YOU want it in my words. And yes, if you looked at the search query, I actually made sure that you got the definitions of how it applies to game dev; since that's where it is implied. :smuggo:

Plus, at that time you asked, I was busy going through 186 pages of what I now believe to be a conspiracy to find out how many of us have actually taken leave of our senses.

PoorMoralCompass posted:

Let me start again so I sound like less of a cock. Because I asked that question stupidly, thinking you'd get the drift with the phrasing. (that's asking tons of anybody on the internet HOW DARE YOU DIDN'T HEAR MY TONE)
Okay, getting a 'vertical slice', how is that different in games than in other software, would you imagine? With games, how does fun factor into it? Is that a milestone, or should you start with something fun?

I kind of was curious about your opinion hence my asking you . :butt:

The links I gave you were all primarily about how this applies to games :D :D :D

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 13, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Young Freud posted:

If you want the no B.S. answer, it's a proof of concept demo. You basically show it to shareholders or publishers to show how the game will function. There's a feeling that it should be at least 10% of the finished game, but really, it has to show in working order all the gameplay elements. It should show working concepts, like if there's a game economy or crafting system, it has to show a rudimentary version of those gameplay loops. If you have some sort of radical new concept, you better be showing that poo poo. A vertical slice doesn't have to be polished, placeholder graphics and items can be everywhere in a vertical slice, but it should work.

In relation to Star Citizen, they don't even have that. Essentially, anything promised by Roberts in the original pitch should be working to some degree, but it's not. RSI/CIG should have at least one ship working to test out gameplay and physics instead of trying to incorporate a dozen broken ones into a buggy engine, because once you have one type of ship or weapon or gameplay element, you can work on that and evolve the gameplay.

For a Star Citizen vertical slice it would need to have
  • Basic movement
  • Basic FPS combat
  • Buy a ship in game
  • Build and/or outfit ship in game
  • Board a ship
  • Fly a ship
  • Ship-to-ship combat
  • Salvage ships
  • Land a ship
  • Sell a ship in game
All of this, perhaps with boarding combat with the localized physics grids, with no weird physics glitches, no sudden T-poses, no funky hit detection, no workarounds, etc.

The shitizens are right in calling it a pre-alpha, but at the same time, a functional, non-buggy version of the game as it is now is what Roberts would have pitched to a publisher. It something that he would have already in hand, instead of taking almost three years to get to this point.

Basically this. Also, since they were touting multi-crew ship stations, mining, farming (lol!!), trading, they should have rudimentary gameplay mechanics for how that would work.

Basically, imo, the GamesCom2016 demo was a sort of vertical slice; though it only represented barely 10% of what a vertical slice should be for a game of this scope.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

PoorMoralCompass posted:

For lazrin.

He woke up not from his alarm clock but fists on the door. Stumbling vertical, he steadied himself on the bedside table, squinting, wondering?

There it was again like a sledgehammer. Eyes snapped open in shock with a hand guiding him against the hallway wall, dipping under the photographs. The front door rattled with the force. "It's six a.m.!" half speaking, half a croak, "What the gently caress do you want?"

Silence, before another thudding drumbeat. A thin film of fear began to shroud the bitter anger. The familiar, cool brass of the doorknob stilled his hand. "Who is it?" Again, nothing, but this time a gentle knock. Twisting the deadbolt, these early deliveries were getting to be more than they're worth. And earlier every time! It almost wasn't worth taking this money. Almost.

That is when he looked full into the face of the man who had been hunting him.

A handsome man with a stout jaw, thick of eyebrow. Derek Smart. Teeth clenched but with the cool deftness of a well-funded hitman, the warlord started: "This has been in the works since last year, and I even mentioned this building in my “Star Citizen Year Four” blog (search for ‘building’) where I said:"

Adrenal tidal waves quickly dispatched what was now a matchstick wall of reason. An unshoed foot spinning on the hardwood, the would-be slumberer made a mad dash for the kitchen, hearing the thrums of his pursuer. A delirious thought: 'Why is it at times like this, I want coffee?' Turning the corner was quick enough,but he could hear behind him the echoing footfalls of stone on wood. Calm. Methodical. Unavoidable. They were like the twinkling of chimes against the words that followed. "The latest fiasco started over the weekend with the #1 Shillizen media, Gamestar in Germany, posting an interview with croberts. Lots of arguments (1, 2) erupted over that one;"

An unbidden "gently caress!" escaped the man looking for a way out. He reached for the magnetized strip on the wall where the knives hung, hand already slick with sweat. But as the pusuer turned into the room himself, he let loose another barrage. "Since June when, with the aid of researchers, I started my independent investigation into this project and its creators (Chris Roberts, Sandra Roberts, Ortwin Freyermuth)" The strip burst from the wall carrying the remains of plaster with it, knives outward. Derek did not flinch.

With less of an unwanted curse and much of what he himself heard as a shriek, the shaking man barrelled for the recessed door. To the garage, a means of escape. Fumbling against the doorjamb where the keys all waited, a finger tearing on the nail than suspended them - but the pain was- "Nothing tangible on the once delayed/canceled Star Marine, nothing to show on Squadron 42. But oh, there’s a largely empty social module which is a great conduit to sell you more crap." The entire structure of the house shuddered but the keys remained in his bloody hand. It seemed like they were pulling themselves toward the car. Inside, the Tesla roared to life, then began gasping as if it needed something else.

Slowly, heavily, Derek rounded into full view. "You have put the engine of a Prius into your chariot." The closed window of the car rattled.

As the solid hand reached deliberately yet pointedly through the safteyglass anger almost came into Derek's face. But then a wash of calm.

The driver begged for his life as the wrinkled shirt was pulled too close against his throat in a fist. The warlord whispered.

Let me loving finish.

I'm sure there are a bunch of "Let me loving finish" youtube videos but one I cannot find again had text scrolling really fast. I laughed really hard watching it and would love a link if anyone has it handy.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

D_Smart posted:

Sorry, but my time is better spent poo poo-posting; not regurgitating something that is well documented, so I can spend my valuable time writing it all up again because YOU want it in my words. And yes, if you looked at the search query, I actually made sure that you got the definitions of how it applies to game dev; since that's where it is implied. :smuggo:

Plus, at that time you asked, I was busy going through 186 pages of what I now believe to be a conspiracy to find out how many of us have actually taken leave of our senses.

The links I gave you were all primarily about how this applies to games :D :D :D

You mean you wanted to type less words?

What poo poo is this

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Turd Burglar posted:

You mean you wanted to type less words?

What poo poo is this

An impostor. Obviously.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Less a vertical slice and more a wafer thin slice that you can't even see when looked at from the side and when looked at from the front you can see right through it.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:

Young Freud posted:

\Essentially, anything promised by Roberts in the original pitch should be working to some degree

Why? Who are you to say what effort and timeline it takes to stand up a vertical slice of this game?

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Raskolnikov posted:

because it is.

You're a fountain of wisdom and a wet blanket! I want them to drink a shot everytime somebody has to rework everything because Crobbers changed his mind. :colbert:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Lazrin posted:

Why? Who are you to say what effort and timeline it takes to stand up a vertical slice of this game?

You're not going to believe this but that guy pulled a sword from a stone so he's an expert now.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Also I checked the chart and apparently that makes him more qualified than Chris Roberts because he didn't make the wing commander movie.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/775323653902700544

Aw poo poo. Anyone want to break it to Lowtax that he can't get verified but Coke Roomba's personal bumlicker can?
:laffo: when Twitter considers Ben to be an actual "celebrity" instead of Sandi

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

lesnick got verified because its easier than gaining recognition as earth's second moon

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Lazrin posted:

Yeah, why should the things he promised to get peoples money be working way after the deadline?
Its like he doesnt understand game development.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Less a vertical slice and more a wafer thin slice that you can't even see when looked at from the side and when looked at from the front you can see right through it.

E1M1 had that too, with its one-sided linedefs.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

D_Smart posted:

186 pages of horror, but I liked this bit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

E1M1 had that too, with its one-sided linedefs.

A very good place to camp on in deathmatch. :v:

• Locked thread