Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delirare
Sep 27, 2015

EponymousMrYar posted:

I ended up bypassing the Hags gimmick by going 'eff this' and blitzing her down while someone cooked in the pot. The pot also dumps people out once they hit Deaths Door, so that's nice.

Fastest and easiest way to handle the boss. Just ignore the pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The two Weald bosses are easily my least favorite because you're basically locked into one strategy for each. With the Hag, you basically have to ignore the pot and focus fire on the Hag; it'd be nice if she only had a chance of putting someone in the Pot after the first time, so targeting the Pot would actually be worthwhile. As it is, the only reason to ever attack the pot is if it put someone you don't want in it, and ideally you should compose your party such that it doesn't matter who's in the pot.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I'm all for modding, but can you not change the skill names for heroes? I'm new to the game and I'm playing along with you and I was really confused in the last video with all the skills.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

To answer the question asked in the video, "Cujo" contains no K or H.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Delirare posted:

Fastest and easiest way to handle the boss. Just ignore the pot.

That really only works reliably in the Novice fight. Leaving someone in the pot will spit them out at Death's Door and the Hag has a AOE attack called Meat Tenderizer which she is programmed to use whenever someone gets ejected. So unless you are willing to gamble on a Deathblow save, you really are better off rescuing your guys and gals before they hit that point.

Gnoman posted:

To answer the question asked in the video, "Cujo" contains no K or H.

Well I feel dumb now, why I thought it was a "K" I'll never know. I'm just going to chalk that one up to being horrible at spelling out loud.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Captain Capitalism posted:

I'm all for modding, but can you not change the skill names for heroes? I'm new to the game and I'm playing along with you and I was really confused in the last video with all the skills.

Seconding this. Modding things here and there is fine, but please don't over do it and overshadow the atmosphere of the game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Seconding this. Modding things here and there is fine, but please don't over do it and overshadow the atmosphere of the game.

I have to agree. It's funny, sure, but don't go overboard.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Could you mod character dialogue? Because if you can,maybe you could make one of the Crusader's lines when he gets a crit into "I kick rear end for the Lord!" If you can't,maybe replace the text for the Brigand Vulf Town Event with "GODDAMMIT NOT NOW"

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Iron Chitlin posted:

That really only works reliably in the Novice fight. Leaving someone in the pot will spit them out at Death's Door and the Hag has a AOE attack called Meat Tenderizer which she is programmed to use whenever someone gets ejected. So unless you are willing to gamble on a Deathblow save, you really are better off rescuing your guys and gals before they hit that point.

Not in my experience. Versus all three tiers of hag I've focused solely on her and got out fine. As long as you bring a team capable of bringing the damage (Mark synergy is really good here) it's not much of a risk.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Genocyber posted:

That's really cool; are there those for other characters and if so where can I find them?

There's a few more, off the top of my head there's one for the Leper, the Man at Arms, the Highwayman, the Abomination, the Antiquarian and the Arbalest. They're all here, http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-presents-the-grave-robber/, at the bottom of the post.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So what does the narrator actually say when you go to fight the hag? I didn't catch much of it through Chitlin laughing his rear end off.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
So, how does targeting work for that fight? Does anything that can hit space 3 and 4 hit the hag? Same with the pot and any other large enemy? Or does the hag just count as the 2nd spot, with the pot being 1st?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah, I also suggest not modding attack names.

Do mod: status effect names, what happens when you are incurred with status effects, what happens when certain events (like scouting, a trap being set off, ect) go off, and so on

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Broose posted:

So, how does targeting work for that fight? Does anything that can hit space 3 and 4 hit the hag? Same with the pot and any other large enemy? Or does the hag just count as the 2nd spot, with the pot being 1st?

Larger targets take up multiple ranks, yes. Unfortunately attacks that hit all of the ranks they're in do not do multiple hits.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Broose posted:

The Hag and Pot are both large creatures, taking up two spots each. The Pot takes up spots 1-2, and the Hag is in 3-4. Both the Pot and the Hag can't be moved, so you need attacks that can hit the back row to deal with the Hag. This is problematic for classes like the Leper and Crusader since the majority/all of their attacks target rows 1-2. It is a good idea to bring classes with easy access to back row damage, such as the Arbalest, Houndmaster, Occultist and Hellion (my preferred team for this fight).

The biggest issue with this fight is the Hag pulling someone in and messing up your formation. For example, if you have a Houndmaster in Rank 2 and the Rank 1 unit is pulled in, the Houndmaster moves forward to rank 1 and cannot use their Hound's Rush skill (+damage vs. marked targets) since it can only be used in ranks 2-4. Therefor, you might want to check the attack ranges on your units before going into the fight and move people around since you are on a much tighter time frame to kill the Hag via the Pot damage.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

The Hag and Pot are both large creatures, taking up two spots each. The Pot takes up spots 1-2, and the Hag is in 3-4. Both the Pot and the Hag can't be moved, so you need attacks that can hit the back row to deal with the Hag. This is problematic for classes like the Leper and Crusader since the majority/all of their attacks target rows 1-2. It is a good idea to bring classes with easy access to back row damage, such as the Arbalest, Houndmaster, Occultist and Hellion (my preferred team for this fight).

The biggest issue with this fight is the Hag pulling someone in and messing up your formation. For example, if you have a Houndmaster in Rank 2 and the Rank 1 unit is pulled in, the Houndmaster moves forward to rank 1 and cannot use their Hound's Rush skill (+damage vs. marked targets) since it can only be used in ranks 2-4. Therefor, you might want to check the attack ranges on your units before going into the fight and move people around since you are on a much tighter time frame to kill the Hag via the Pot damage.

Don't have this game myself so I'm just spitballing, but the plague doctor sounds like it would be good here if you can build up her HP. Blight up the hag and then don't worry too much if she's put in the pot.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

paragon1 posted:

So what does the narrator actually say when you go to fight the hag? I didn't catch much of it through Chitlin laughing his rear end off.

Twisted and maniacal - A slathering testament to the powers of corruption!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QafEjvQHRGU

Cythereal posted:

Don't have this game myself so I'm just spitballing, but the plague doctor sounds like it would be good here if you can build up her HP. Blight up the hag and then don't worry too much if she's put in the pot.
While the PD does end up dealing a lot of damage if you stack blights, generally she's only useful when you're dealing with PROT enemies. On something like the Hag it's generally better to frontload the damage, especially since whoever's in the pot is about three turns away from death's door. You want Hellions, Arbalests, Houndmasters and Grave Robbers slapping the Hag's poo poo around as fast as possible. There's a reason why she doesn't deal much damage(aside from Into the Pot!) but can debuff a target's damage. It's a DPS race, and she's built to make you lose it unless you're really prepared.

In most of my runs against the Hag, I only bother with the pot if my main DPS dealer is thrown in it. If my healer gets cooked, it's pretty much a guaranteed victory.

And for anyone trying out mark parties on the Hag, it's better to bring an Occultist along if you do. Since she takes two actions per turn and a Mark only lasts for three actions, unless you have a dedicated marker you're not going to get a lot of mileage out of it. Also, Bounty Hunters cannot collect on the third row, which is a shame.

Halser fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 13, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Halser posted:

Twisted and maniacal - A slathering testament to the powers of corruption!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QafEjvQHRGU

No I mean like, when the level is loading in and the lore entry is being read.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

paragon1 posted:

I was going to just link you since we'd all probably rather hear Wayne June than just read him, but Ben and I talked over him too when we streamed it; I forgot we didn't stop doing that until later. Fortunately, we do have subtitles turned on, so:
"I had collected many rare and elusive volumes on ancient herbal properties, and was set to enjoy several weeks immersed in comfortable study.
My work was interrupted, however, by a singularly striking young woman who insisted on repeated calls to the house."

I don't have too much of an opinion on the rewording (I did chuckle at "nah" instead of "Resisted"), but somebody who hasn't played the game as much as we have is probably just going to be confused. If it's not too much work (like switching the files), maybe leave the boss and Darkest fights "serious" and have the grinding/levelling ones redone?

Also, I think you were overselling Shadow Fade a bit. :sweatdrop: It only moves her back 1, and it has the base 100% rate (good stuns like Blackjack, Uppercut, etc. are 125%). It also only hits the first 2 ranks, so it's useless in the Hag fight compared to just selecting Move. I never use it outside of Lunge strats, since there's usually something she needs more, like Pick to deal with the front row, darts for high-Protect enemies, etc.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Arbalest, Houndmaster, Occultist and Hellion (my preferred team for this fight).

Mark-n-kill is the best way to do it, but I'd be nervous about a team with limited mobility and rank dependency like that (if she dunks the arbalest, that really sets you back). She's pretty vulnerable to bleed, so last time I beat her was, yeah, Dogman and Hellion, but with Vestal and Highwayman as the other two. Duelist Advance is great for putting your formation back together (and PBS goes a long way toward knocking over the pot) and gets free hits off Tenderizer, and you can tank the Vestal's speed down with the Sacred Scroll or something to make sure she goes last and gets the heal off before the Hag's next turn.

Cythereal posted:

In addition to what Halser said, the Hag has above-average Blight resistance, and you can't afford to lose turns in that fight. Plus the Doc is probably taking the spot of a better healer, and you want to get whoever fell out of the pot enough HP to survive a hit.

But yeah, the Hag is a really well-done fight, she's tough and because she directly takes away team members instead of just attacking their numbers, it scales up against player min-maxing. At the same time, she doesn't do anything else like move or stun your team and she has no special defenses, just average dodge for her tier and decent but not insane HP. Plus one way or another the fight is over pretty quickly, we'll wish we could say the same about the other Weald boss. :sweatdrop:

v The Gamepedia has those sound files? :monocle:

Wayne fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 13, 2016

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

paragon1 posted:

No I mean like, when the level is loading in and the lore entry is being read.

oh, right.

"I had collected many rare and elusive volumes on ancient herbal properties, and was set to immerse myself in several weeks of comfortable study. My work was interrupted, however, by a singularly striking young woman who insisted in repeated calls to the house."

https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/1/11/Narration_load_weald_01.ogg

Edit: They sure do! I think most of the lines are there. I didn't link the entire page because that's a good way to get spoiled unless someone has heavy tunnel vision.

Halser fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 13, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

paragon1 posted:

Yeah I was trying to keep things silent there but that was too precious to interrupt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7D_7aDFmxg

Also Chitlin's got a bunch of these videos ready to go. I'll link that playlist in the OP and Chitlin will be managing that as the LP goes on. I hope.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 13, 2016

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

There's a few more, off the top of my head there's one for the Leper, the Man at Arms, the Highwayman, the Abomination, the Antiquarian and the Arbalest. They're all here, http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-presents-the-grave-robber/, at the bottom of the post.

Oh my god these add so much to the game. Red Hook needs to release the rest of these soon.

We know what Dismas' needed redemption for now... So what did Reynauld do? :allears:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

RickVoid posted:

Oh my god these add so much to the game. Red Hook needs to release the rest of these soon.

We know what Dismas' needed redemption for now... So what did Reynauld do? :allears:

The Leper and Abomination in particular are a stark contrast. Both are loners shunned for ailments, but the Leper left a hero to his people and mourned by all, the Abomination was literally branded for what he has caged within him and slaughtered his way out of wherever he was being branded.

The Man-at-Arms also is pretty awful, by the end of the battle he's the only one left alive and you can't tell who was on which side.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

RickVoid posted:

Reynauld left her lover to go on a crusade or some other kind of holy war. When he came back, she was dead/gone. He seems to have taken it pretty well, but when poo poo goes down he starts regretting it.

"Why did I trade her for this life? She loved me..."
"How can I fight for truth when I betray all I love?"
"Why now, facing death, do I crave a different life?"
"I have sacrificed much... Now I shall claim all!"

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Leper and Abomination in particular are a stark contrast. Both are loners shunned for ailments, but the Leper left a hero to his people and mourned by all, the Abomination was literally branded for what he has caged within him and slaughtered his way out of wherever he was being branded.

The Man-at-Arms also is pretty awful, by the end of the battle he's the only one left alive and you can't tell who was on which side.

Leper also appears to have been a King.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

RickVoid posted:

I believe it's generally accepted that the Leper is inspired in part by Baldwin IV, the Leper King of Jerusalem.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

RickVoid posted:

Glidergun posted:

I believe it's generally accepted that the Leper is inspired in part by Baldwin IV, the Leper King of Jerusalem.
Pretty much confirmed by his default name found in game-data.

A lot of them are clever references. As stated in this thread and in Chip's Uncharted 4 LP, Dismas is the penitent thief, Paracelsus is a famous plague doctor(?), Boudicca is a famous war leader, etc.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Paracelsus was born too late to be a literal (Black) Plague doctor, seeing as he was alive during the Renaissance, but he is credited with founding the field of toxicology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracelsus

He's also associated with alchemy. The father of the Full Metal Alchemist protagonists was named after him.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Houndmaster and his Dog are not necessarily a clever reference but are a good one, they're respectively Shag & Scoob. They come with dog treats which make them brave (more accurate and harder hitting). I suspect if given the choice they'd much rather be off making a huge sandwich than fighting the horrific monsters of the Hamlet.

The Abomination is Bigby, a reference to the Wolf Among Us.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hunger window pop up text suggestion:

Title: THIS FUCKIN' THING
Text: Oh boy it's your favorite mechanic. Click left if you're ready be mad at your dwindling supplies, click right if you hate yourself and everything else forever.

Also replace Treasure with Lewt/Phat Lewt

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Yeah every character has their own personal background that you can gather from their quips, as well as from the comics. I always say this, but I would have really liked for them to go with the (I think) original idea of each character being unique. Din't know how you would combine that with the whole "your dudes die in the dungeon" thing tho.

Also I wish there was more to distinguish one character from the other. Like skill trees. As it is, characters of one class are more or less the same except for the small bonuses and penalties from quirks.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Markovnikov posted:

Yeah every character has their own personal background that you can gather from their quips, as well as from the comics. I always say this, but I would have really liked for them to go with the (I think) original idea of each character being unique. Din't know how you would combine that with the whole "your dudes die in the dungeon" thing tho.

Also I wish there was more to distinguish one character from the other. Like skill trees. As it is, characters of one class are more or less the same except for the small bonuses and penalties from quirks.

Seems like a pretty easy setting to shoehorn in resurrection and perpetual quests for redemption. :shrug:

2 weeks off, drop back to level 0 and roll an affliction test as soon as they re-enter the dungeon.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 13, 2016

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I got a good laugh out of your mods, also people should be playing ahead of the LP and comparing stories. You're taking 80% of the fun out of the game by seeing what's ahead.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I imagine a truly canonical version of this story involves the Heir (Player Character), Reynauld and Dismas showing up first, and as they start fighting their way through the others start trickling in. The Vestal and Plague Doctor already being in town is explained by one of them being part of the Abbey and the other the Sanitarium. The Abomination is probably found haunting the Weald in beast form and brought back to study, at which point he reverts and he shares his backstory. The Grave Robber and Antiquarian show up together, because they figure this is a huge score just waiting to happen and have been working with each other for a while. So on and so forth.

It becomes a story of shared pain and working together to rebuild something grand that has fallen into disrepair. The Heir along the way learns to value other humans in a way his ancestor never did. The various heroes find some small measure of closure for their own pasts through applying some serious harm to the monsters.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 13, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Heir along the way learns to value other humans in a way his ancestor never did.

I dunno, I just sent four mooks to their death on purpose, just so I could get an achievement. :v:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

"nah" is surprisingly funny, modding attack names isn't great for people not overly familiar with the game, REKT is funny on attack but doesn't make a lot of sense on healing, overall enjoying the LP a lot.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
RE: the background comics - Holy poo poo is the Antiquarian's dark. The rest are mostly sad/tragic, but that one... yeesh.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Markovnikov posted:

I imagine someone's already done this, but now I really want to do a run where I only use the canon characters (i.e. one of each class named the canon name) and seeing how far I go.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Apep727 posted:

RE: the background comics - Holy poo poo is the Antiquarian's dark. The rest are mostly sad/tragic, but that one... yeesh.

It also ends somewhat ambiguously, did she continue the ritual herself or let the sacrifice go, I honestly could see it go either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Someone should yell ":boom:" when they crit. Yes, with the colons.

• Locked thread