Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain Redbeard posted:

A friend on facebook just shared this: http://anonhq.com/european-scientific-journal-concludes-911-was-a-controlled-demolition/

I know it's bullshit, but I'm not really educated enough to recognize whats wrong with it. Can anyone help me out?

first off the article touts the scientific respectability of the journal that article is published in, which is really only impressive to people who don't know much about academia (aka rubes) so that's a red flag

the claims made in the article though (free fall speed, lack of precedence, general suspicion of government) are the same arguments AE9/11T have been using for 15 years, like the exact same. one new thing that jumped out at me was this passage:

" The towers, in fact, had been designed specifically to withstand the impact of a jetliner, as the head structural engineer, John Skilling, explained in an interview with the Seattle Times following the 1993 World Trade Center bombing:

"Our analysis indicated the biggest problem would be the fact that all the fuel (from the airplane) would dump into the building. There would be a horrendous fire. A lot of people would
be killed," he said. "The building structure would still be there." Skilling went on to say he didn’t think a single 200-pound [90-kg] car bomb would topple or do major structural damage to either of the Twin Towers. "However," he added, "I'm not saying that properly applied explosives—shaped explosives—of that magnitude could not do a tremendous amount of damage…. I would imagine that if you took the top expert in that type of work and gave him the assignment of bringing these buildings down with explosives, I would bet that he could do it."

In other words, Skilling believed the only mechanism that could bring down the Twin Towers was controlled demolition"

the bolded part is a deliberately misleading interpretation of skilling's words - all he is saying is that a truck bomb would not be as damaging as explosives placed for maximum damage. the missing context of this statement is that the design anticipation of an accidental airplane strike on the building is much different from that of an intentional strike, where we assume a plane lost over manhattan would be moving pretty slowly as compared to a full throttle terrorist attack. so no, this is not what skilling believes necessarily and if you have to sockpuppet people who aren't in your article for the sake of your argument then your argument sucks

what controlled demolition theorists always avoid talking about is that if you want to blow up a building you don't just drop duffle bags of explosives at the right places like in a movie, there is extensive prep work involved where you actually cut away at the building's structure to expose the support columns. this would have been very noticiable in a crowded office building

there's also this gem

"Given the nature of the collapse, any investigation adhering to the scientific method should have seriously considered the controlled demolition hypothesis, if not started with it. Instead, NIST (as well as the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which conducted a preliminary study prior to the NIST investigation) began with the predetermined conclusion that the collapse was caused by fires"

why should we consider controlled demolition in the lack of any evidence? why is that the obvious conclusion, and not a cruise missile, or invisible king kong? the scientific method requires evidence, and here is what we know about the state of the buildings when they collapsed: they had been hit by planes, and they were on fire. we can assume that the planes and fire had something to do with the collapse, and we can rule out controlled demolition because of the lack of any eyewitness evidence that explosives were placed inside the world trade center at any point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
also there's the 'free fall' argument which is really dumb and in a nutshell it's goes "if the whole building wasn't rigged to blow then why don't the lower parts of the building stop the upper parts from collapsing?" which is just a shamefully dishonest argument for a structural engineer to make and indicative of stunning ignorance otherwise

force equals mass times acceleration, right? normally, the parts of a building do not accelerate. that is the purpose of a building, to sit there, not moving. because of this buildings can be really heavy, because the building is not designed to move, ever. if some portion of your building starts accelerating, you are going to have a very bad day. so the force a building places on the portions of the building below it remains relatively static, but if the building starts moving (usually down) then the force exerted is going to increase, very quickly. other parts of the building below the collapse will start moving as well, also downward, which is increasing the mass part of f = m * a. so the collapse gets worse. this is why buildings typically do not stop collapsing once a collapse is initiated, with the exception of portions of buildings collapsing

basically "why didn't the lower parts of the building stop the collapse" is just as dumb as asking "why do my bones break if i fall a long way, if they don't break when i just walk around?"

after fifteen years the "free fall" argument is still the centerpiece argument for controlled demolition 9/11 truthers

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
also when people bring up WTC 7 and "it wasn't hit by a plane, it was just on fire" the thing they're leaving out is that WTC 7 was hit by big chunks of WTC 1 and 2, which is why it was on fire

for some reason people never bring that up, i wonder why

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

also when people bring up WTC 7 and "it wasn't hit by a plane, it was just on fire" the thing they're leaving out is that WTC 7 was hit by big chunks of WTC 1 and 2, which is why it was on fire

for some reason people never bring that up, i wonder why

the camera angles that people could see on the tv broadcasts that day were only able to see the face of the building that had been facing away from the towers when they collapsed, and not the face of the building that was very heavily damaged. so when they see pictures of wtc7 they think "oh that building wasn't very damaged, it must have been a controlled demolition."

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
I posted the replies from this thread, in case anyone is wondering how well that went over:

Blackula Vs. Tarantula fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 13, 2016

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you want some 9/11 truth - here is a timeline you might find interesting

January 1985 - The DNS system is conceived, a 'cult leader' known as Bonnie Nettles dies of Cancer, and Ronald Reagan begins his second term (in contrast to his first)

February 1993 - Islamic terrorists try to destroy the World Trade Center but miraculously little lasting damage is done

March 1997 - The brilliant Hale-Bopp comet illuminates the skies of Earth.

September 2001 - Islamic terrorists destroy the World Trade Center and through their spectacular malice are able to sow suspicion and bitterness among people who ultimately believe in the same Kingdom of God.

February 2003 - The Shuttle Columbia breaks up on reentry over the American Southwest, and the first Israeli astronaut is one of the lives lost. The USA prepares to invade Iraq.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What is interesting about these mostly unrelated, some completely unrelated events?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Surely Caligula was his greatest role. A regular poster gone schizophrenic/Toblerone Triangular.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

McDowell posted:

January 1985 - The DNS system is conceived, a 'cult leader' known as Bonnie Nettles dies of Cancer, and Ronald Reagan begins his second term (in contrast to his first)

February 1993 - Islamic terrorists try to destroy the World Trade Center but miraculously little lasting damage is done

September 2001 - Islamic terrorists destroy the World Trade Center and through their spectacular malice are able to sow suspicion and bitterness among people who ultimately believe in the same Kingdom of God.

February 2003 - The Shuttle Columbia breaks up on reentry over the American Southwest, and the first Israeli astronaut is one of the lives lost. The USA prepares to invade Iraq.

Are you one of those Heaven's Gate guys who was late to the suicide spaceship boarding party? Heaven's Gate was the Hale-Bopp cult, right?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

QuarkJets posted:

What is interesting about these mostly unrelated, some completely unrelated events?

They are certainly typical of the events a schizophrenic might see connections between but that's about it.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
If you add in the release date for Pokemon Green in Japan and the day Hillary Clinton was conceived it all becomes blindingly obvious!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The death of Bonnie Nettles may be seeen as proof of 'BS' for skeptics, but it seems to me that Ti had to leave the vehicle to put all focus on activity in Next Level - keeping this world quite peaceful for Do and the class at the end of the century. The opening and closing of 'Heaven's Gate' occurs over decades. 1997 was the inflection point.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Ummmm....

Nanu, nanu?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

McDowell posted:

The death of Bonnie Nettles may be seeen as proof of 'BS' for skeptics, but it seems to me that Ti had to leave the vehicle to put all focus on activity in Next Level - keeping this world quite peaceful for Do and the class at the end of the century. The opening and closing of 'Heaven's Gate' occurs over decades. 1997 was the inflection point.

How can you be sure about the timeframe of Heaven's Gate opening and closing when the only photographic evidence of it's dilation is goatse? You can't construct a trend line from one point.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Rencall posted:

Can anyone explain why 9/11 truthers, who I seem to be now encountering literally everywhere I go, from Thailand to my workplace, choose to believe probably the least plausible of all 9/11 conspiracy theories?

Example: The towers were detonated. But why is there footage of the towers being hit by airplanes? A giant jet-fuel bomb can indeed destroy the structural integrity of a building, so why not?

The thing that I just can't figure out is, among all conspiracy theories related to 9/11, why pick out the most god-awfully absurd? If you're going to believe there was a conspiracy, OK. I'll listen to it. I think it's highly unlikely, but you could make a case that the Bush administration were aware of the attacks before they happened, yet deliberately did nothing to stop it. Or, you could even try to make a case that a shadow organization in the government conspired with the terrorists to implement the attacks, and use it as a false-flag to go oil-crazy in the Middle East.

I agree with you that the detonation idea (which i consider to be the most widespread and accepted version by truthers) is ultimetly unecessary to explain what happened. As a self proclaimed skeptic i think what happens is these nuts dont do any real research, but think they are smart for having an alternative opinion. So no matter what facts you bring up they can just claim it is manufactured evidence by the ninja shadow government. However the most loving stupid line i have heard from someone i happen to know is "I dont think global warming exists, because it is still snowing outside". We live in Norway and it was winter...

Which brings me to my second point. These nutcases usually try to say that the official story is BS without trying to understand it fully at first. People just see a video of the building falling "unnaturally fast" without first trying to gain an understanding of how it could actually be the true that the building fell because of infrastructural failure and gravity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FMGlGevGtk

Edwardcurrent makes a lot of great (and delightfully short) videos about conspiracy theories.

Midig fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 6, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Midig posted:

I agree with you that the detonation idea (which i consider to be the most widespread and accepted version by truthers) is ultimetly unecessary to explain what happened.

really the only reason this version is most widely accepted despite all alternate theories suffering from the same lack of proof is that it is most reasonable. my favorite theory is that the planes were holograms and the towers were destroyed with a beam from a space laser, which has exactly as much proof as the controlled demolition theory, but people settle on the demolition theory because it sounds least crazy

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

McDowell posted:

Why isn't the Challenger disaster and the first Gulf War (well second really since the Iraq-Iran war was a thing, but you know what I mean) not on your list? As conspiracy timelines go this is one of the least convincing. Its not in a sequence nor is it building up in intensity to some sort of malevolent climax.

really the only reason this version is most widely accepted despite all alternate theories suffering from the same lack of proof is that it is most reasonable. my favorite theory is that the planes were holograms and the towers were destroyed with a beam from a space laser, which has exactly as much proof as the controlled demolition theory, but people settle on the demolition theory because it sounds least crazy

Well of course there's no proof, holograms and lasers don't leave finger prints or debris. :agesilaus:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Baka-nin posted:

Why isn't the Challenger disaster and the first Gulf War (well second really since the Iraq-Iran war was a thing, but you know what I mean) not on your list? As conspiracy timelines go this is one of the least convincing. Its not in a sequence nor is it building up in intensity to some sort of malevolent climax.

It isn't a conspiracy, it is a few 'acts of God' that may or may not help you accept Ti & Do. The Challenger disaster is a useful lesson in arrogance/negligence but I don't see it as an Omen. The first Gulf War's significance was implied but here I can make it more overt

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Rencall posted:

Can anyone explain why 9/11 truthers, who I seem to be now encountering literally everywhere I go, from Thailand to my workplace, choose to believe probably the least plausible of all 9/11 conspiracy theories?

I think the main reason the demolition theory is the "accepted" conspiracy compared to lasers or holograms is that it's the "common sense" solution. People are familiar with the concept of explosions and demolitions, and there's a lot of tangential evidence (eyewitness reports of people saying things "sounded like explosions", the squib clouds bursting out of windows, sulfur compounds being found on the scene later) that at first glance fit well with people's basic conceptions of how buildings and explosions work.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

McDowell posted:

Hahahahahahahaha! Thank you for this.

No, the planes weren't holograms, they were missiles. All of the TV footage was created by Hollywood before the missiles were fired and distributed to the willing treasonous journalists in the media. All of the memories of people who were literally there about seeing planes is just gas lighting by paid crisis actors to fool the electorate. Home video footage was doctored as well once it was delivered to media outlets. YouTube also has an automatic secret missile to plane filter that edits video of the NYC attack uploaded to it. :mmmhmm:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Leofish posted:

Hahahahahahahaha! Thank you for this.

Don't thank me, thank the ones who lived it! I hope your amusement is a stepping stone to understanding.

Events surrounding Ti's departure in 1985 and the Class departure in 1997 bear out their significance to me. Here is another little coincidence that I discovered while writing that timeline - Reagan declared March 21st (Nowruz) to be Afghanistan Day while he was dedicating the shuttle Columbia to them. This vehicle's birthday is on that date, it was also the date of Hale Bopp's closest approach to earth, the 'mass suicide', and the start of 'Operation Iraqi Freedom'.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Can't decide if the foil hat is too tight or too loose....

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's been proven that tinfoil hats actually increase the radio signal of government satellites. It's one of the best cases of psyops ever.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You don't ask to be a Millenial

or a Millenarian

https://youtu.be/urglg3WimHA

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

McDowell posted:

You don't ask to be a Millenial

or a Millenarian

https://youtu.be/urglg3WimHA

Are you sure you aren't a Millerite? It would explain why you're the Great Disappointment.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Are you sure you aren't a Millerite? It would explain why you're the Great Disappointment.

Je Suis

https://youtu.be/BtnB3UUhHkc

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

This thread is dead as gently caress but this pizzagate thing that's going on is about to give me an aneurysm. Are there really this many people who actively believes this?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

watho posted:

This thread is dead as gently caress but this pizzagate thing that's going on is about to give me an aneurysm. Are there really this many people who actively believes this?
I was a semi-regular at Comet Ping Pong for a few years and went to a lot of shows there. My friends promote parties there on occasion. So you can imagine what I am thinking about this - namely it'd be hilarious as gently caress to me if there wasn't a real human cost to a place I like and have fond memories of. Hell, I still find it hilarious despite that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

watho posted:

what is pizzagate?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh, do your research, Shutton

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/21/technology/fact-check-this-pizzeria-is-not-a-child-trafficking-site.html?_r=0

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Short version is when wiki leaks released John podesta's email people cherry picked a lot of DNC emails that basically said "hey let's get some pizza" and 4chan was like "hey these guys really like pizza. Nobody likes pizza this much...it must be codeword for child prostitutes!" And it snowballed from the claiming all these emails were just coded references to sex acts.

That's it. There's literally nothing there but they wanna make their opponents out to be kiddie diddlers for maximum evil.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
It's one of the most intense outbreaks of conspiracy I've ever seen. In many ways it's just a logical follow up to the election. You've got all these young Reddity-Channy guys who had their first taste of politics. That demographic is really susceptible to conspiracy theory, and for this election cycle they've been rubbing shoulders and posting alongside a ton of other special interest groups, one of which is the conspiracy crowd. Hillary being a crook was part of the rhetoric too, so it was inevitable that some of The_Donald brigade would go in that direction.

So the ones that have gone in that direction have really, really gone for it. They've latched onto the first thing they can and it's like a perfect petri-dish for a conspiracy. Conspiracy theorists making spurious links and using dubious evidence is nothing new but the sheer speed and force with which this has happened has been pretty amazing to watch. It's gone from "one of Hillary's friends / donators seems to like weird performance art" to "this photo shows Joe Biden giving Obama a bracelet with a Secret Paedophile Symbol on it" within a matter of days. I tapped out after reading two people having a nice level-headed discussion about how THEY take world leaders, give them scopolamine and make them commit horrific acts so they can be black mailed and DONALD has to watch out he HAS TO FIGHT THIS and at that point I'm like so loving out of there, it's hard to read when it gets to that point.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

Short version is when wiki leaks released John podesta's email people cherry picked a lot of DNC emails that basically said "hey let's get some pizza" and 4chan was like "hey these guys really like pizza. Nobody likes pizza this much...it must be codeword for child prostitutes!" And it snowballed from the claiming all these emails were just coded references to sex acts.

That's it. There's literally nothing there but they wanna make their opponents out to be kiddie diddlers for maximum evil.

I'm not saying I necessarily buy any of it but your "summary" is straight garbage dude

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Irom posted:

I'm not saying I necessarily buy any of it but your "summary" is straight garbage dude

But that's exactly what it's claiming...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Pizza truthers ITT.

It's loving insane that this, of all things, has exploded like this. I've been reading it since it took off and am still trying to get my head around it.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I assume the pizza conspiracy is assembled out of half-recalled pieces of the Project Monarch conspiracy, dealing with high powered international child sex rings, brainwashing, and the pop and country music industries. It's just a new label on old crazy, borne out of channers rubbing elbows with vintage conspiracy mongers, as Modrasone stated.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Pizza truthers ITT.

It's loving insane that this, of all things, has exploded like this. I've been reading it since it took off and am still trying to get my head around it.

Definitely not me, I was just confused because the summary seemed pretty accurate to me as to what the "conspiracy" sites are reporting.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'm willing to accept my summary isn't great that's just how I understood it based on reading the freep thread.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Oh, I thought your summary was pretty spot on.

I meant Irom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
is there really any way to correctly summarize stupid nonsense with a wide net of nutty people all beliving similar but different horseshit

• Locked thread