Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Stymie posted:

i can assure you that wireless devices require charging and equipment to do so

sure, but it's all the same poo poo

and when travelling you have like 1 charger thing and a couple plugs and your laptop does a lot of it and its really no big deal

there's no giant wagon full of dongles you seem fascinated about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

actually stymie is correct

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

idk, if i go somewhere with my laptop, phone, and kindle, that's three chargers i gotta take.

now if i get an iphone 7 i gotta take a second set of headphones or a dongle. my car is small, i don't have room for all this luggage. it's hosed up imo!!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

let's suppose that a person with an iphone 7 wants to travel and has purchased both airbuds and other non-apple noise-cancelling wireless headphones

that would mean that they would need to carry the following:

iphone
iphone charger
iphone charging cable
airbuds x2
airbuds charging box
airbuds charger
airbuds charging cable
wired earpods (for use after 5 hours)
third party wireless noise-cancelling headphones (possibly x2 if they are not corded)
third party wireless noise-cancelling headphones charger
third party wireless noise-cancelling headphones charging cable

an optional configuration would be, in lieu of the wired earpods to instead use other third party wired headphones which would then require the iphone dongle

this does not account for any other equipment they would be carrying such as a laptop/ipad/kindle which would also require chargers, cables and other accessories

they immediately defeat the purpose of wireless headphones by their design? that's kind of a big oversight

iphone
lightning cable
charger
airbuds
airbuds box
third party wireless noise-cancelling headphones
third party charging cable

the airbuds can be charged with the same lightning cable as the iphone, and all 3 can use the same charger, since it's doubtful you'd be charging all 3 at the same time.

but by the point that you're bringing along extra headphones Just In Case you're already in massive edge-case sperglord territory and so it should be no problem to carry an extra dongle or whatever along with your 3 leatherman multitools, 2 flashlights, and the rest of your Every Day Carry loadout.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
all my poo poo i need fits in a bag

a small bag

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that's a pretty big assumption that you wouldn't need to charge things at the same time

moreover if you didn't need to charge things at the same time that means you're charging them throughout the day which would be a huge inconvenience for all this wireless convenience especially while traveling

basically the choice is between a carryon stuffed with cables or a constant need to stay near an outlet during the day

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Stymie posted:

that's a pretty big assumption that you wouldn't need to charge things at the same time

moreover if you didn't need to charge things at the same time that means you're charging them throughout the day which would be a huge inconvenience for all this wireless convenience especially while traveling

basically the choice is between a carryon stuffed with cables or a constant need to stay near an outlet during the day

just don't buy the airpods if you can't fit them in your luggage

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a small cheap battery pack can charge a phone a half dozen times, they can probably charge those headphones for like a month

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

hobbesmaster posted:

a small cheap battery pack can charge a phone a half dozen times, they can probably charge those headphones for like a month

what! another thing i have to carry around and charge!

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

im just gonna leave the dongle on the one pair of headphones i use for phone listening. 99% of my listening is in the car w/ bluetoof though.

can't believe y'all are still arguing about this dumb poo poo. if you don't like the phone don't buy it.

peace

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
And so it happened that on a warm windy afternoon a woman strolled past the well-worn cafe table at which I sat. I had been there for a spell, attempting to put pen to paper (or, as it were, fingertips to keyboard) and enjoying the scents of the daytime coffee orders.

She chose an enormous couch and extended the full length of the divan, completely motionless, with her chin raised a little, as if she were balancing something on it which was quite likely to fall. If she saw me out of the corner of her eyes she gave no hint of it — indeed, I was almost surprised into murmuring an apology for having disturbed her by approaching.

She made an attempt to rise — she leaned slightly forward with a conscientious expression — then she laughed, an absurd, charming little laugh, and I laughed too and sat opposite her.

“I’m p-paralyzed with happiness.” She laughed again, as if she said something very witty, and held my hand for a moment, looking up into my face, promising that there was no one in the world she so much wanted to see.

Her face was sad and lovely with bright things in it, bright eyes and a bright passionate mouth, but there was an excitement in her voice that men who had cared for her found difficult to forget: a singing compulsion, a whispered “Listen,” a promise that she had done gay, exciting things just a while since and that there were gay, exciting things hovering in the next hour.

We spoke of many things, both gay and sad and when the bell rang for the close of day, I could not bear to be parted from her. With a shy smile, she suggested the name of a small establishment that would not shut its doors til the sky grew light again. I glanced down at my Jet Black iPhone 7+.

"I'm sorry, I've been listening to Neutral Milk Hotel over my Lightning Earpods while I've been developing Safari Extensions. I need to charge my phone."

Her expression filled my heart with such despair that I offered, "Perhaps we could meet there? I just need to top up my battery to get through the evening." She nodded at that and before we parted, I set a reminder on my Apple Watch to meet there for a nightcap.

I never saw her again.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
lmao that stymie saw fit to describe charger and charging cable as two different objects in a pathetic attempt to make the list look longer. get a loving grip dipshit

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sniep posted:

there's no giant wagon full of dongles you seem fascinated about

"a wagon of dongles" is something people should say more

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I think someone mentioned it earlier but airpods are gonna be so easy to steal. lotta college kids gonna get their ears run

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
courage

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

so the impression I'm getting is that nobody likes that the headphone jack is gone, but a lot of people are arguing in defense of it anyway, for reasons

this is my introduction to YOSPOS and I'm not really surprised

indigi posted:

I think someone mentioned it earlier but airpods are gonna be so easy to steal. lotta college kids gonna get their ears run

I think it'd be pretty hard to steal both of them actually, which just means you'll have to steal from twice as many people

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I found a photo of the typical airpod apologist using their old earpods

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

I found a photo of the typical airpod apologist using their old earpods

don't doxx me

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Elder Postsman posted:

idk, if i go somewhere with my laptop, phone, and kindle, that's three chargers i gotta take.

now if i get an iphone 7 i gotta take a second set of headphones or a dongle. my car is small, i don't have room for all this luggage. it's hosed up imo!!

suggestion

buy an f150

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

loquacius posted:

I think it'd be pretty hard to steal both of them actually, which just means you'll have to steal from twice as many people

freshmen living away from home for the first time are about twice as easy to steal from as an average person, so that part of the equation evens out

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's not just run of the mill qi charging?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

zen death robot posted:

the airpods are useless without the charging box though

Do they work if you leave the charging box at home? (assuming the airbud batteries don't die)

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

indigi posted:

Lolllllllllllllllll yeah this is the apple product that actually uses a standard, this one right here, you got it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

indigi posted:

sure as long as you have your qi dongle

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lmao jesus christ buy one of the thousands of dual port usb chargers and an extra lightning cable

my bag has the current items:

macbook pro
wall charger (dual 2.1 amp)
lightning cable
micro usb cable
20000mah battery bank
ipad air 2
monoprice over the ear bluetooth headphones
travel router
oh and a loving roku streaming stick and remote so i can watch my totally legal media from my plex server in hotel rooms

i could probably even drop the battery bank but occasionally i do get delayed at the airport. a lot more have added usb ports/outlets underneath seats but watching people rush for the outlets and sit on the floor will never not be hilarious

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 13, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

steve wozniak has a lot of cables

so if its good with him

its good with ME

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
oh god, I might have to stop listening to music briefly while it charges, my world is ending

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
why do the airpods looks like electric toothbrush heads stuck in your ears

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

oh god, I might have to stop listening to music briefly while it charges, my world is ending

"user friendly" isn't important, you see...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BiohazrD posted:

lmao jesus christ buy one of the thousands of dual port usb chargers and an extra lightning cable

loquacius posted:

the way you can tell their bold courageous elegant simplicity of design is really working is by the number of easy convenient 3rd-party accessories that have already started cropping up to fix the huge obvious flaws

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

why does your world have to end for a pair of headphones to be considered worse than the regular kind at doing their job

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

loquacius posted:

so the impression I'm getting is that nobody likes that the headphone jack is gone, but a lot of people are arguing in defense of it anyway, for reasons

this is my introduction to YOSPOS and I'm not really surprised

actually normal people don't care about this but super-spergs keep bringing it up because of their edge cases.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

samsung confirmed as poor phone

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the non edge case - you plug your phone in at night, you use the included wired headphones throughout the day, you plug your phone in at night with 30% battery left

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

rapeface posted:

And so it happened that on a warm windy afternoon a woman strolled past the well-worn cafe table at which I sat. I had been there for a spell, attempting to put pen to paper (or, as it were, fingertips to keyboard) and enjoying the scents of the daytime coffee orders.

She chose an enormous couch and extended the full length of the divan, completely motionless, with her chin raised a little, as if she were balancing something on it which was quite likely to fall. If she saw me out of the corner of her eyes she gave no hint of it — indeed, I was almost surprised into murmuring an apology for having disturbed her by approaching.

She made an attempt to rise — she leaned slightly forward with a conscientious expression — then she laughed, an absurd, charming little laugh, and I laughed too and sat opposite her.

“I’m p-paralyzed with happiness.” She laughed again, as if she said something very witty, and held my hand for a moment, looking up into my face, promising that there was no one in the world she so much wanted to see.

Her face was sad and lovely with bright things in it, bright eyes and a bright passionate mouth, but there was an excitement in her voice that men who had cared for her found difficult to forget: a singing compulsion, a whispered “Listen,” a promise that she had done gay, exciting things just a while since and that there were gay, exciting things hovering in the next hour.

We spoke of many things, both gay and sad and when the bell rang for the close of day, I could not bear to be parted from her. With a shy smile, she suggested the name of a small establishment that would not shut its doors til the sky grew light again. I glanced down at my Jet Black iPhone 7+.

"I'm sorry, I've been listening to Neutral Milk Hotel over my Lightning Earpods while I've been developing Safari Extensions. I need to charge my phone."

Her expression filled my heart with such despair that I offered, "Perhaps we could meet there? I just need to top up my battery to get through the evening." She nodded at that and before we parted, I set a reminder on my Apple Watch to meet there for a nightcap.

I never saw her again.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

zen death robot posted:

it's fun to point out a bad idea that Apple has and watch the superfans just call people names rather than try to explain why it's actually a good thing when even Apple themselves couldn't really come up with a good reason

courage

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

have we established whether wanting to plug your phone into power and the aux jack while using it as a GPS is an edge case yet because I don't think that's an edge case

see also: listening to music at work like basically everyone with a desk job does

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zen death robot posted:

it's fun to point out a bad idea that Apple has and watch the superfans just call people names rather than try to explain why it's actually a good thing when even Apple themselves couldn't really come up with a good reason

yup. a bunch of people seem convinced that everyone secretly desires to be able to put their phone down and walk around the house listening to music because that is the go-to when asked what you can do with Bluetooth that you can't do with wired. no response to pointing out that you could already do that with any other iPhone.

really amusing that iOS 10 still makes it a pain in the rear end to connect or disconnect to a Bluetooth device if it didn't automatically connect/disconnect. a pull down in control center similar to AirPlay would make it so much easier.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

loquacius posted:

have we established whether wanting to plug your phone into power and the aux jack while using it as a GPS is an edge case yet because I don't think that's an edge case

see also: listening to music at work like basically everyone with a desk job does

uh nice edge case bro. just use the bluetooth. buy a new car if you have to. or just shut up and don't buy the new phone if you don't like it. no complains allowed in the official apple safe space

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

china will be pumping out <$5 accessories to solve this problem if they aren't already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
has anyone said crapple yet

• Locked thread