Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/oregonian/status/775426446500175872

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

so is that pretty much :thurman:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lutha Mahtin posted:

well, its just one piece in the absolute mountain of evidence. This case was a slam dunk from the get go.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Capntastic posted:

Sov cits woud not last long in Alpha Complex
But who does?

I love Friend Computer

quote:

Also the new edition of Unknown Armies has a firearm fetishizing adept school that geta charges from open carrying but loses power if they ever actually shoot someone.

sounds like our idiot friends alright

whats the name of that game similar to Paranoia but with Cthulu themes? something about being a occult investigator but not very serious

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

"Defense attorney Per C. Olson"

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It's more like the ref giving the Harlem Globetrotters a couple of free throws because the Washington Generals fouled them.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/occupied_burns/status/775546160329035777

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

What is a good, objective source for looking at a rundown of sovcit ideology?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

hangedman1984 posted:

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/ideology/sovereign-citizens-movement

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

hangedman1984 posted:

Sniff some paint, only then will you truly understand.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hangedman1984 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCozh_vbYdM

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Sniff some paint, only then will you truly understand.

Do NOT sniff a paint.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Seconding this. It's extremely good.

And also yeah the own video for seeing them in the wild.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

WrenP-Complete posted:

Do NOT sniff a paint.

inhale a paint

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Create joinder with paintfumes

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Elephant Ambush posted:

http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

If you have the time and energy to go through a 156 page court decision, an Alberta Superior court judge went into great detail in a divorce case decision.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Elephant Ambush posted:

I think everyone should read that link because, as fun as it is to see P. Barnes give a sovcit their comeuppance, it's important to understand just how dangerous parts of the movement really are. What we now see as sovereign citizens came out of the same loosely organized culture that produced Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols, and there's big sections of that movement that remain just as potentially dangerous.

It's a toxic stew of survivalists who believe the government is about to collapse, anti-government wingnuts who want to tear the government down, desperate people facing personal and financial ruin, with a light crust of crazyass idiots who post videos of themselves being tasered or arrested on YouTube.

The Bundys represent the comically incompetent end of the spectrum, but there's plenty of more dangerously competent people like Gavin Long, the Baton Rouge shooter. The Bundys are funny because they turned out to be all talk, but if the feds hadn't handled the situation as they did, more people would have died than LaVoy Finicum, who seemed to be bound and determined to become a martyr.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Top City Homo posted:

inhale a paint
I saw some poo poo on daytime tv about street kids in Eastern Europe, and they were dancing around singing "We are the Paint Sniffers!" That's what I know about the subject. Also it was at least 15 years ago so they're probably all dead now.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Top City Homo posted:

inhale a paint

Do NOT inhale a pint.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

There is also this, a police training film on sovereign citizens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALPs_n0WQaY

And here is the full Stawman video that they show part of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME7K6P7hlko

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The short of sovcits' beliefs is "the government doesn't exist because I say so. I declared myself king and can do anything I want." Everything else they say is just to justify that.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
that strawman video never ceases to get a :stare: out of me

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rebel Blob posted:

There is also this, a police training film on sovereign citizens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALPs_n0WQaY

And here is the full Stawman video that they show part of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME7K6P7hlko

Wait, that isn't a parody?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

nm posted:

SovCit beliefs are indistinguishable from parodies of SovCit beliefs.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The whole Strawman mythology they have sounds like it should be a joke but they actually believe it, yes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mors Rattus posted:

The whole Strawman mythology they have sounds like it should be a joke but they actually believe it, yes.

My favorite bit is their refusal to get what the word "Understand" means.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

WrenP-Complete posted:

Do NOT inhale a pint.

that's for drinking sily :D

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Casimir Radon posted:

I saw some poo poo on daytime tv about street kids in Eastern Europe, and they were dancing around singing "We are the Paint Sniffers!" That's what I know about the subject. Also it was at least 15 years ago so they're probably all dead now.

paint huffing and sovcits are like bread and butter

also i get goose bumps cause i keep thing oh maybe they mean soviet citizens and then i remember its the same for both

:D

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

My favorite bit is their refusal to get what the word "Understand" means.

What would happen if a police officer uses "comprehend" instead of "understand"? They're synonyms for the same thing, but "comprehend" can't be rearranged to be to form some bogus rationale for non-compliance.

Or better yet, just do everything in Spanish, because "entender" works real well instead and English isn't an official language.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mors Rattus posted:

Yes, but it was reasonably well produced and I don't expect sov cits to do anythong well.
98% of their license plates are numbers on cardboard ffs.

Edit: Black's Law Dictionary is such an important, bindinh source, that I, a lawyer who works for the gubberment, has precisely zero copies. In fact, I'm pretty sure they only exist for 1Ls to buy and then lose in 2L year.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Young Freud posted:

What would happen if a police officer uses "comprehend" instead of "understand"? They're synonyms for the same thing, but "comprehend" can't be rearranged to be to form some bogus rationale for non-compliance.

Or better yet, just do everything in Spanish, because "entender" works real well instead and English isn't an official language.

Since they exist to be contrary ad difficult I imagine they'd say they don't know what that word means, fishing for synonyms until "Understand" comes up and start the show.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

nm posted:

Yes, but it was reasonably well produced and I don't expect sov cits to do anythong well.
98% of their license plates are numbers on cardboard ffs.

Edit: Black's Law Dictionary is such an important, bindinh source, that I, a lawyer who works for the gubberment, has precisely zero copies. In fact, I'm pretty sure they only exist for 1Ls to buy and then lose in 2L year.

Pretty much. Black's Law Dictionary is essentially the Cliff Notes of law and probably held some importance in 20th century law, but with the Internet and databases like LexisNexis making legal research even easier, it's pretty much faded into obscurity with the exception of law students and sovcits.

Dr Pepper posted:

Since they exist to be contrary ad difficult I imagine they'd say they don't know what that word means, fishing for synonyms until "Understand" comes up and start the show.

Well, if they can't underst- interpret a common words like "comprehend" or "comply", then they either can't comprehend and must be placed into protective custody until they can or a lawyer or guardian can explain to them their situation or they're not complying and, well, we go to the next step in the achieving compliance.

Part of me wishes we can just bring back Writ of Outlawry for sovcits. Shoot, let's make it self-proscribed like relinquishing citizenship to avoid sticky human rights concerns. I mean, sovcits obviously want to be outside the law, but fail to realize that the post-Magna Carta law is there to protect them.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Part of me wishes we can just bring back Writ of Outlawry for sovcits. Shoot, let's make it self-proscribed like relinquishing citizenship to avoid sticky human rights concerns. I mean, sovcits obviously want to be outside the law, but fail to realize that the post-Magna Carta law is there to protect them.

Then they'd just say they aren't werewolves so it doesn't apply to them. What are you gonna do now? Huh? Huh? Can't hunt them if they aren't werewolves.

Tazing ensues as usual.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/775843546507030528

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Another thread made me realize how much sovcit have in common with silicon valley disruptors. Chasing a delusional American ideal, ignoring laws in the sake of convenience, making up their own rules and categories and running with them...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

nm posted:

It's like an inverse Poe's law. Plus no matter what sort of bug gently caress insane thing you can come up to make fun of a sov cit I can guarantee you that at least a thousand of them have come up with something exponentially crazier.

I mean these are people that believe that if you put stamps on a document in a very particular way it means...something...other than "this has enough postage that the postal service will mail it."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Oh man, I have a friend talking about his mom's experience on Facebook. Apparently, she ended up going to some local event at a public library where the speaker was a former Homeland Security employee. When she got there, it was a nightmare, largely hijacked by the audience of Trump supporters bellyaching about plans to resettle Syrian refugees in Rutland. She called them "really Vermonty" (despite this probably being from Vermont herself) with "long grey beards and a lot of bad ideas". It reminded me of that Ernie Tertelgte, the Living Natural Man, shown in that police sovcit video, so, just remember, this isn't just confined to the Bundys and the American Southwest, these guys are everywhere.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Second day of oral arguments are about to begin, enjoy some fresh Bundyisms:

https://www.scribd.com/document/323980240/09-13-2016-ECF-1264-USA-v-A-Bundy-et-al-Motion-to-Quash-Jury-Pool-by-Ryan-Bundy

Shoutout to the Magna Charta.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Random story time! My little sister was stage handing in the room where the Magna Carta is kept, and I can't remember exactly what was happening, maybe someone needed to set up additional lighting or power but they asked the National Archives people what to do.

Upshot is "do it behind the Magna Carta" is now slang for "do it unobtrusively" in her workplace and in our family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

WrenP-Complete posted:

Random story time! My little sister was stage handing in the room where the Magna Carta is kept, and I can't remember exactly what was happening, maybe someone needed to set up additional lighting or power but they asked the National Archives people what to do.

Upshot is "do it behind the Magna Carta" is now slang for "do it unobtrusively" in her workplace and in our family.

Archivists do it unobtrusively :heysexy: