Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Talrand was also in packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Seems like a waste to me!

Do, like, people snatch up that many intro decks if they accidentally put a good card in it? Was the M13 one with Talarand scalped nation-wide?

Remember that the intro decks are literally the only source for these particular cards.

Do you remember what the availability was on the Commander deck that had True-Name Nemesis? And that was a card that's only good in a format orders of magnitude less popular than Standard.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

little munchkin posted:

He fails the Sylvan Advocate test. You'll get 2 cards exiled at the most, and most likely just one. Also you don't get the cards at all if he gets hit by a removal spell and you don't have mana up. Insolent Neonate is probably better, because it's a lot more potential damage and roughly the same amount of card filtering.

A one-drop drawing a removal spell is honestly pretty great.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Voyager I posted:

A one-drop drawing a removal spell is honestly pretty great.

Not so much when the "removal spell" is a Liliana +.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Jabor posted:

Not so much when the "removal spell" is a Liliana +.

Fair enough.

To be clear, I'm pretty solidly in the "Card is Bad" camp. I just think it's more underwhelming than raw garbage.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The one argument I can think of for Bomat is that you can play it turn 1 and get an attack because there aren't many one-drops around, then later attack and immediately sac it for 2 cards once your hand is empty. I guess that's not the worst if for some reason there's a deck that's ok with playing Raging Goblin.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
For what it's worth, Bomat Courier only has to attack, not deal damage, to get the trigger. You can effectively cycle it if you're in a late game hellbent and topdecking.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
They will gently caress up on the intro decks at some point and print a good card.

And it'll be hilarious for standard when they do.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

For what it's worth, Bomat Courier only has to attack, not deal damage, to get the trigger. You can effectively cycle it if you're in a late game hellbent and topdecking.

Can't wait for somebody at competitive REL to sac it in response to the trigger and draw no cards

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The argument for Bomat Courier is that it swings on turn 1 before the opponent even has a land.

It's unplayable as long as Sylvan Advocate is in Standard. Shadows block has Duskwatch Recruiter, Grim Flayer, Hanweir Militia Captain, Lambholt Pacifist, Thermo-Alchemist, and Thing in the Ice as value 2-drops that dunk it, too.

This is just not the time for a 1/1 with haste for 1. Hell, I doubt Legion Loyalist would make it anywhere in this hell.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

little munchkin posted:

He fails the Sylvan Advocate test. You'll get 2 cards exiled at the most, and most likely just one. Also you don't get the cards at all if he gets hit by a removal spell and you don't have mana up. Insolent Neonate is probably better, because it's a lot more potential damage and roughly the same amount of card filtering.

If a 1 drop needs to be able to profitably attack past Sylvan Advocate to be viable then I guess we better hope Wild Nacatl and Foundry Street Denizen get reprinted.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The argument for Bomat Courier is that it swings on turn 1 before the opponent even has a land.

It's unplayable as long as Sylvan Advocate is in Standard. Shadows block has Duskwatch Recruiter, Grim Flayer, Hanweir Militia Captain, Lambholt Pacifist, Thermo-Alchemist, and Thing in the Ice as value 2-drops that dunk it, too.

This is just not the time for a 1/1 with haste for 1. Hell, I doubt Legion Loyalist would make it anywhere in this hell.
Thermo-Alchemist and Thing in the Ice don't actually stop it, you can still attack into them for the trigger. They at least need a creature with 1 power to block it to make it not worth attacking.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bomat Courier's entire concept is adorable.

Its a robit that takes your presents and delivers them to your friends. :3:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If it's only 2 drops you have to worry about I think it may have a shot. The fact that it's a one-drop that effectively cycles when topdecked is also neat.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Could Bomat Courier be playable in Modern affinity? The CMC is right and affinity has the tools to give it relevant p/t. I don't see it going so far as to replace thoughtcast, but in version running galvanic blast they might shave a copy to try and keep up on card advantage cards with slightly better mana than before.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jabor posted:

Remember that the intro decks are literally the only source for these particular cards.

Do you remember what the availability was on the Commander deck that had True-Name Nemesis? And that was a card that's only good in a format orders of magnitude less popular than Standard.

That was a matter of making a dumb decision to make lopsided decks that left retailers with leftover product. Same thing with scavenging ooze. A more apt comparison are the event decks and clash packs where there was only one type and they sold well aside from the dumb modern event deck for $50? 70? :lol: There's no problem with them, unless you think retailers moving product is a bad thing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
So gremlins are just anteaters then

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Whirler is cool

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Could Bomat Courier be playable in Modern affinity? The CMC is right and affinity has the tools to give it relevant p/t. I don't see it going so far as to replace thoughtcast, but in version running galvanic blast they might shave a copy to try and keep up on card advantage cards with slightly better mana than before.

Affinity doesn't really care about cards as much as it cares about starting as fast as possible.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I wonder if Salivating Gremlins could be played in Pauper, or if there's already a card that does the same thing but better that makes it not worth it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

I wonder if Salivating Gremlins could be played in Pauper, or if there's already a card that does the same thing but better that makes it not worth it.

I don't play Pauper, but at first blush it just looks too weak.

Looks quite good in Limited, though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This isn't even Sandsteppe Outcast's final form!!!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

salivating gremlins doesn't really live anywhere and the effect is already way better and cheaper on foundry street denizen

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The Shortest Path posted:

It doesn't measure up to Atog terribly well.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I hope Kaladesh limited plays as well as it looks so far because I want to build a draft sim cube of it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

LordSaturn posted:

It doesn't measure up to Atog terribly well.

the fact that atog can dodge removal means i didn't even bother making the comparison. this dude only gets strong.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

rabidsquid posted:

the fact that atog can dodge removal means i didn't even bother making the comparison. this dude only gets strong.

you should probably calm down some, you compared Badtog to FSD for some inscrutable reason

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ah yes. i am sorry, i was just so mad!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
They missed out not having the red creatures be Apes.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

The flavor text is a deck-building analogy.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sweet Kird Ape.

I know affinity needs a critical mass, but could this maybe see play? I figure it might if the artifacts lands were legal, but that's not happening.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mehall posted:

Sweet Kird Ape.

I know affinity needs a critical mass, but could this maybe see play? I figure it might if the artifacts lands were legal, but that's not happening.

affinity does not want a creature that can't be sacrificed to ravager, get counters from said ravager, or be pumped by steel overseer

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh it also doesn't help with mox opal metalcraft, and if it gets cast on the first turn with glimmervoid you're gonna have a bad time if you have no memnites or ornothopters

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

apprentice into scrapheap into something seems like a pretty good curve. you can run that three man r/b kill spell that got spoiled too.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

This card has the word "artifact" in it could it maybe be good enough for affinity?????

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Affinity will be a Kaladesh block constructed deck after this set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

i'm actually kind of hoping r/b artifact midrange will be a deck there seems to be a few cards that would be for it.

• Locked thread