Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text

Chu020 posted:

Proposed Budget: $20-25k
New or Used: No preference
Body Style: Would prefer station wagon, but since the US is crazy and hates them, probably have to consider crossovers.
How will you be using the car?: General commute 10-12 miles, picking up kids, infrequent 4-6 hr road trips. Need to be able to pack a lot (likely two car seats in back, potentially small (15 lbs) dog, luggage for family + pack and play and misc stuff for infants/toddlers. Would prefer at least integrated bluetooth phone connectivity. Also live in the snow belt, so reasonable all weather performance since I need to be able to get to work regardless of road conditions. Will have to be an automatic, couldn't get my wife to learn to drive stick.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, fun to drive.

Decided that I wanted to try to save some cash on the deal and am looking to go for more significantly used. Also found that I could only get $3k for my RSX as a trade in at best. CarMax offered that, other dealers have offered significantly less ($1-2k) Having it as the 3rd owner and technically having an accident on the record (before me, extremely minor, just bumper damage) really cuts into the price. Decided that saving more toward a house downpayment takes precedence, so I'm currently trying to not spend more than $9-10k out of pocket. New budget is up to $12-13k. Ideally planning on being able to drive it for at least 10 yrs without too many issues,

Tried 2009-2010 models of the CR-V and RAV4, not a fan but I suppose I could deal with it if I had to. They're in the 80-100k mileage range it seems at that price point. Tried a 2011 outback that I liked better, though I think it's because it felt like it had actual substance/weight to it. Can't throw it around as easily though. They have 80-100k miles on them as well. Then I tried a CX-5 just to see, and it really was fun to drive. Can't find examples of that in my price range though. There are a few TSX wagons around too which I'm hoping to try, though to get near my range they're topping 110k miles.

Some questions. Is the Outback a poor choice as a used car from a reliability standpoint, or would it still be reasonable with that mileage/year? What about a higher mileage 2014 CX-5? Could I reasonably expect the TSX wagon to go another 10 yrs/80-90k miles starting out with 110k or so? Should I just suck it up and and get a CR-V or RAV4? Or is there another car I should consider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Going from factory all-season runflats to Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's was night and day difference. I mean sure they don't last nearly as long but this is a midlife crisis don't let money stop you.

This is the correct answer for a performance sedan. Don't limit what it can do because of being too cheap to get AAA and/or a can of fix-a-flat. You didn't intend to change your own tire on the side of the road anyway.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Motronic posted:

You didn't intend to change your own tire on the side of the road anyway.

This is a pretty ironic statement coming from someone with a Ron Swanson avatar.

I don't disagree though, runflats are garbage. For some cars that come with runflats you can buy a spare donut kit, though. My spare donut has saved me too many times for me to go without.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Guinness posted:

This is a pretty ironic statement coming from someone with a Ron Swanson avatar.

I don't disagree though, runflats are garbage. For some cars that come with runflats you can buy a spare donut kit, though. My spare donut has saved me too many times for me to go without.

I'm not really speaking for me. Or maybe I am.......I'd do it if it were reasonable to have a donut in the car. It's not on this one.

I'm the guy who tows vehicles into his driveway and considers them "new", ends up doing poo poo like rebuilding engines. But I also recognize that's not reasonable for everyone. So let's be realistic about cars with runflats that almost always lack reasonable space to store a spare, jack and wrench.

If anything, this is me being as self-aware as possible.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The SLK has a donut spare in the trunk, I don't know much about the existing tires yet. I will for sure be upgrading when the time comes. I'm on 17" wheels now (and I'd prefer to keep it that way for the smooth ride) but the wheels are stock MB, I'm looking for something more custom but haven't decided on anything yet.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

photomikey posted:

The SLK has a donut spare in the trunk, I don't know much about the existing tires yet. I will for sure be upgrading when the time comes. I'm on 17" wheels now (and I'd prefer to keep it that way for the smooth ride) but the wheels are stock MB, I'm looking for something more custom but haven't decided on anything yet.

Aren't you fancy with your donut spare in the trunk. I would still keep AAA so when the car doesn't start one day you don't have to think about it. Forget the custom wheels (or don't) but get some hilariously low life rubber and take corners at speeds you never knew possible. Sell the runflats on craigslist.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...tandard%20Model

(Note it appears you may have different size front and rear wheels.)

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I personally think AAA is a ripoff, but I am happy to call a towtruck to change a tire rather than risk my life on a Southern California highway shoulder. The $50 every few years is cheaper than the AAA membership.

Thank you for the tire recommendation. Yes, the rear are wider than the front. $650! I'll start saving.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Chu020 posted:

Decided that I wanted to try to save some cash on the deal and am looking to go for more significantly used. Also found that I could only get $3k for my RSX as a trade in at best. CarMax offered that, other dealers have offered significantly less ($1-2k) Having it as the 3rd owner and technically having an accident on the record (before me, extremely minor, just bumper damage) really cuts into the price.

You say that, but unless the thing is straight up trashed I bet you could get $4-5k selling it private party.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

photomikey posted:

I personally think AAA is a ripoff, but I am happy to call a towtruck to change a tire rather than risk my life on a Southern California highway shoulder. The $50 every few years is cheaper than the AAA membership.

Thank you for the tire recommendation. Yes, the rear are wider than the front. $650! I'll start saving.

If you're around Pasadena I can suggest a indy German mechanic.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

photomikey posted:

You just bought a used german car. You're gonna want AAA. Not to change your tires, mind you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nm posted:

You just bought a used german car. You're gonna want AAA. Not to change your tires, mind you.

No, you don't understand. AAA is a ripoff. Beautiful German engineering? Now that's worth paying premium for.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

photomikey posted:

Do you call tow trucks often? Is $50 what you're accustom to paying? Because I haven't seen that kind on price for a tow, unless they taking you to body/repair shops that's giving them a hefty finder's fee.

I just had my truck towed yesterday. Shredded a front tire against metal structure, spare is dry rotted. AAA flatbed took me 86 miles to the shop I trust. It cost $116/year. I can repeat that 4 more times. They will also unlock it, bring me gas, give a jump, whatever. That one tow is already cheaper than what I would have paid out of pocket. Something to think about

nm posted:

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Do you call tow trucks often? Is $50 what you're accustom to paying? Because I haven't seen that kind on price for a tow, unless they taking you to body/repair shops that's giving them a hefty finder's fee.

I just had my truck towed yesterday. Shredded a front tire against metal structure, spare is dry rotted. AAA flatbed took me 86 miles to the shop I trust. It cost $116/year. I can repeat that 4 more times. They will also unlock it, bring me gas, give a jump, whatever. That one tow is already cheaper than what I would have paid out of pocket. Something to think about
To clarify, I'm not arguing for an abolishment of the AAA, I'm just saying that IMHO it's not worth it. I haven't had a car picked up and towed off in... 10 years? I have had a few jump starts in that time, and I might have had a tire changed a time or two. Yes, $50 is in the ballpark of what I'm paying. I don't even have a receipt for the last time I used one.

I don't live somewhere that's 86 miles from the nearest shop. I live in a city, where you could go a half mile in any direction and find a reputable auto shop. Maybe that's the difference.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

86 to the shop he trusts, it's a difference. I've had similar done when my car broke down in baltimore, towed that sucker ~60 miles because who cares, they'll do up to 100 miles for a tow at no extra charge.

Had them change tires too, and once push my car out of a parking space when reverse stopped working. It's also nice peace of mind if you or your family members aren't mechanically inclined, not physically able to change a tire, or whatever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Not sure I would trust Shop X to wrench on my unreliable panzerkampfwagen but you do you

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Not sure I would trust Shop X to wrench on my unreliable panzerkampfwagen but you do you

Seriously. Have you ever owned a german car? The reputable shop down the street is gonna add the wrong coolant, which will cause your coolant to slowly solidify, killing your motor. This is a real, actual issue that shows up on german cars.
They also generally can't take normal oil, transmission fluid, or steering fluid. They'll also charge you 3x as much for everythong because they don't know how to deal with overcomplicated bullshit.
You need to find a good shop and only takr it there.

This isn't a toyota camry that breaks more. It is an overcomplicated piece of "german engineering." That breaks more.

The other advantage to aaa is when you have a problem that might need a tow, you don't have to decide if the risk is worth it, you just tow. German cars always seem to have more minor seeming issues that will lunch the engine if you move them. $100/yr is way cheaper than the 5 figures that drivetrain costs.

nm fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 13, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Car A: 2013 Kia Soul ! $13,379 with 9k miles. CPO

Car B: 2014 Prius c. $13,679 with 38.5K miles. CPO.

The prius felt slightly more sluggish driving it. I want to research the hybrid engine system some more. Soul has more bells and whistles like sat radio. Neither fit my bike, so I'll need a rack. I think the Soul fits a hitch rack better.

Help me goons?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Are you guys paid shills for AAA, or just really, really passionate about the kinds of insurance I should buy?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

photomikey posted:

Are you guys paid shills for AAA, or just really, really passionate about the kinds of insurance I should buy?

I just like throwing money away on stupid stuff, we have the basic membership. (And the peace of mind it gives me that I never have to worry about my wife being stranded somewhere.) One time I didn't feel like driving my Z4 to the shop so I had AAA tow it there. Also, check into if your MB comes with lifetime roadside assistance. Coworker has a MB SUV and they handle everything for the life of the vehicle.

http://www.mercedesroadside.com/roadside-assistance.html

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I pay a couple bucks a month for roadside assistance on my cell phone plan. Between wife and I it easily pays for itself every year with lockout assistance, jump starts, towing, gas delivery, whatever.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

photomikey posted:

You just bought a Mercedes. AAA with 100mi tows should be factored into the price.

Nothing really is as good as 100mi AAA really, even if they're a bit cheaper.

These things may not be neccesary if you bought a prius like this thread always recommends.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

DOOP posted:

The prius felt slightly more sluggish driving it. I want to research the hybrid engine system some more. Soul has more bells and whistles like sat radio. Neither fit my bike, so I'll need a rack. I think the Soul fits a hitch rack better.

Help me goons?

Could I suggest car C? A normal (non C) prius, that would fit your bike in the back, and be a better car than a prius c anyway?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

photomikey posted:

Man, you are loving insufferable. Good luck with that divorce.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Alternately, adding an emergency roadside assistance policy to my auto insurance through State Farm costs me a whopping $8.40 per year.

I've only ever had to use it once, and it covered the tow and didn't affect my rates. And it wasn't even on my ~*~ complicated german princess car ~*~ since it's never left me stranded in 5+ years since it has a spare tire.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

photomikey posted:

Comes in advice thread, gets advice, is angry about it. :thumbsup:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DOOP posted:

Help me goons?

Why do you want to buy either of these cars

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why do you want to buy either of these cars

Everything I read about the Soul has it as a perfectly acceptable econobox.

And Prius is the thread title so,

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

DOOP posted:

Well it's pretty obvious to me but maybe not to everyone - the Soul's fuel economy rating is particularly bad for a subcompact while the Prius' is particularly good? I mean a Corvette get's better highway fuel economy than the Soul. The Prius literally cut's your fuel bills in half. Unless there's something particularly appealing about the Soul, and neither fit your bike so space is't really an issue, then I don't see why you would choose it.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
also Prius C is built on a different platform and generally considered inferior to normal Prius.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DOOP posted:

It is the wrong prius though.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
It is also not in the thread title.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you want a car that fits your bike why would you buy a car that doesn't fit your bike

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Yeah, Priuses are great and Prius cs are absolute poo poo that nobody should be buying for any reason. Vastly inferior to the 2nd gen Prius that you can get for a song now.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I've been in a prius c a few times and thought it was fine. What's the beef about

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Which would be a better choice, assuming full maintenance records available for both and clean titles, with the hope that it'll last 10 yrs without that much beyond regular maintenance:

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5L with 128k miles - $11000 (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5775728860.html)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5L Limited with 78k miles - $13500 (http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/5778440490.html)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

How much do you drive? If a lot, get the lower mileage one and pray that Subarus have stopped rusting. If not so much, get the higher mileage one because it's newer and Subarus historically rust.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ammanas posted:

I've been in a prius c a few times and thought it was fine. What's the beef about

Compared to the regular Prius, it's slightly cheaper. It's also slower, less spacious in the passenger cabinet, has a shittier interior, has a tiny rear hatch space, and has no advantage in fuel economy.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
4 normal-sized adults fit comfortably, no one buys a prius for the drag times and i imagine its markedly better to drive in the city due to its smaller footprint. The 'trunk' space is pretty small though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
It feels cheap in a million little ways that make it cross-compare really badly to anything it might get considered alongside. Can you imagine paying more than $20k for a new car, and using this every day?

It's just markedly worse than a Prius without being much cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phokus
Jun 27, 2007

Never bet against Captain America!
Does anyone know much about the electronic rust prevention modules that seem to be fairly common nowadays? I'm in Canada ..ontario and there is definitely salt on roads in the winter. My girlfriend is getting brand new car fairly soon and just wondering is the anti rust module worthwhile or should we just use krown (oil coat) instead? I've heard mixed things but nothing really solid or with much to back it up. My dad has a 2010 f150 king ranch and his truck has the rust module but I'm fairly sure he also gets the oil coating done. His truck is clean but can't tell from it what is actually keeping it that way. The only other people i know with them basically have brand new cars. They're not that old on cars so there may not be much data but does anyone know more or know someone who has it and it just doesn't really work well?

Also as kind of a general question at what point do you consider it worthwhile having a second car for commuting to work? Just a cheap 4 cylinder compact (sentra, civic, whatever). For example if you had a golf gti/r or focus st or a cts-v/m3/whatever is it reasonable or its really only worthwhile preserving something more expensive? Do many of you with nicer or fun cars have a second or at what point/price do you personally find it worthwhile? I don't think there is a right answer here just depends on each person and their car just wondering how common this is and if you do have two what is your non daily? Again, on this point, not looking for advice but am curious what others think/what kind of cars do they consider worth preserving?