Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DStecks posted:

The real coming crash is going to be in PC gaming once most of the populace has abandoned desktops and laptops for tablets. :ssh:

no way man, people are gonna keep buying thousand dollar graphics cards forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I'm not sure I get the hate for the term gamer. I think gaming has been a fun thing to do since I was a kid and a worthwhile hobby as an adult..

Then again I opted out of the recent Internet Wars.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 13, 2016

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

MrSlam posted:

I'm not sure I get the hate for the term gamer. I think gaming has been a fun thing to do since I was a kid and a worthwhile hobby as an adult.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

That's one day late friend.

Btw, your cats are the envy of the PYF Cat Picture thread.

edit: I kind of want to buy that Gamer Fuel brand Mountain Dew so I can store it like wine as a joke only I will find funny

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 13, 2016

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
It's not too late to be the first time I've ever seen that shirt. Cripes, I can't even imagine how much cringing I would do if I ever saw someone wearing that.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MrSlam posted:

I'm not sure I get the hate for the term gamer. I think gaming has been a fun thing to do since I was a kid and a worthwhile hobby as an adult..

Then again I opted out of the recent Internet Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I need more videos like this. Post 'em if you got 'em.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Puppy Time posted:

In that there are a lot of gamers terrified of that happening, yes. I don't think there's a reality-based fear of it happening any time soon.

Worst case scenario I can think of is a crash in AAA gaming, but I think the indie and casual/sports markets could keep things from disappearing entirely. Not that this would calm people who make "gamer" their identity, since that's based on being separate from the filthy casuals and jocks.

i wouldn't mind seeing AAA gaming bite the dust, they been the blandest type of games in ages outside of a few games a year. they are also very harmful since meny studioes got shut down when their AAA games bombed for making a game over their head. factor 5 made some solid star wars games where you fly around in a x wing shooting tie fighters, when making a new IP for the PS3 with dragons it was buggy as hell and bankrupted them.

it like how the MMO market is starting to dry out outside of a few games that will just be around forever due to loyaty like final fantasy, wow and everquest. the rest will be free to play asian games marketed to Russians first.

i am tim! posted:

It's not too late to be the first time I've ever seen that shirt. Cripes, I can't even imagine how much cringing I would do if I ever saw someone wearing that.

ran into a friend at MCdonalds yesterday where he started yelling that 9-11 was done by jews, started doing holocaust jokes, he also known to take hardcore drugs and on a huge down on his life.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 13, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DStecks posted:

The real coming crash is going to be in PC gaming once most of the populace has abandoned desktops and laptops for tablets. :ssh:

Are you saying that desktops/laptops will cease existing in favor of tablets, or just as a consumer product? Because I don't see a viable way for tablets to replace actual keyboards and professional-grade PC software for a wide variety of professions (engineering, stats, accounting, programming, hell, even any form of longform typing). These things are awkward at best to use purely with a touch screen and touch keyboard. Not unless peripherals for tactile keyboards and mice become much more common, or we start using some really funky 3D gesture based technology.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

The future's in HOLOGRAMS!

Hologram keyboards! No mice! Move everything with your hands like Minority Report! Spinning wireframes that look like they're doing something important! The busiest GUI you've ever seen!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cyron posted:

factor 5 made some solid star wars games where you fly around in a x wing shooting tie fighters, when making a new IP for the PS3 with dragons it was buggy as hell and bankrupted them.

Lair is not what killed Factor 5; it was a Superman game that they sunk tons of money and resources into only for the publisher to go under, leaving Factor 5 trying to shop the game around to other publishers to get it out the door. When they could not find anyone to publish the game, it killed the studio.

That said, after how poo poo Rogue Squadron 3 was and how poo poo Lair was, it's not a huge loss that they are gone, even if the first two Rogue Squadron games are among my favorite games of all time.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MrSlam posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Ch6N8QT00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd8BGZMRLG4

MrSlam posted:

The future's in HOLOGRAMS!

Hologram keyboards! No mice! Move everything with your hands like Minority Report! Spinning wireframes that look like they're doing something important! The busiest GUI you've ever seen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aThCr0PsyuA

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

MrSlam posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr3iXginLUY

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

At least its not those "Mistakes into miracles" things where furries have their fursona impregnated?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Leal posted:

At least its not those "Mistakes into miracles" things where furries have their fursona impregnated?

i once saw a image of sonic with a pregnant pam from dragon ball GT and they show inside the womb and it was rainbow dash. i cried in the showered.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I thought mistakes into miracles was a joke to make fun of ridiculous character pairing fan art.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PC gaming is already an enthusiast hobby so I doubt tablets are going to have a big effect on it.

It's not like you can run almost anything on a standard family pc/laptop as it is and PC gaming is more popular than ever.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jsor posted:

I thought mistakes into miracles was a joke to make fun of ridiculous character pairing fan art.

it is

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Cyron posted:

i once saw a image of sonic with a pregnant pam from dragon ball GT and they show inside the womb and it was rainbow dash. i cried in the showered.

I'll trade you for a pregnant Spongebob and a pregnant Katara with Captain K'nuckles from Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack as her terrified fetus

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

MrSlam posted:

I'll trade you for a pregnant Spongebob and a pregnant Katara with Captain K'nuckles from Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack as her terrified fetus

i am so happy that spongebob is the only name i know in this post. still don't want to see this.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Andrast posted:

PC gaming is already an enthusiast hobby so I doubt tablets are going to have a big effect on it.

It's not like you can run almost anything on a standard family pc/laptop as it is and PC gaming is more popular than ever.

with PC gaming being hugely helpful with the indie game market, wanting the PC gaming market to die would be poo poo to the industry more so if nintendo or any other big name corporation dies. that is like saying you want indie films to die and every film ever to be super hero films in a shared universes.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 13, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

HEY NERDS cool guy Danny O'Dwyer left Gamespot to start his own gig called noclip to create short-form video game documentaries and he's gonna fund it all through Patreon!. If you've kvetched in the past about gaming journalism being nothing but advertiser-bought reviews and click-bait, put your money where your stupid idiot mouth is!

and while I'm here, chew on a Ford Focus RS, and an interview with the enigmas behind Regular Car Reviews!

Alaois fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 13, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's too late my patreon budget it already taken up with Jim Sterling and hbomb. I can only deal with so much games journalism.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's too late my patreon budget it already taken up with Jim Sterling and hbomb. I can only deal with so much games journalism.

As usual you live up to your name. As for me my nonsense word has no meaning, and I'm pretty sure I live up to that.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Annointed posted:

As usual you live up to your name. As for me my nonsense word has no meaning, and I'm pretty sure I live up to that.
Brother I live to serve.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
New episode! I dive headfirst into what's probably the most astoundingly over the top, bonkers period drama I've ever seen - the Australian show A Place To Call Home! Forget Downton Abbey's dramatic plot twists, this show is Downton Abbey turned up hotter than the surface of the sun, to an almost Lynchian degree. It also does really well in terms of the bechdel test and queer representation so that's pretty great too.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

MrSlam posted:

Mint Foil VGA graded MPreg Shadow the Hedgehog x Shrek, baby is President Obama.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Video games were a mistake.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jsor posted:

Are you saying that desktops/laptops will cease existing in favor of tablets, or just as a consumer product? Because I don't see a viable way for tablets to replace actual keyboards and professional-grade PC software for a wide variety of professions (engineering, stats, accounting, programming, hell, even any form of longform typing). These things are awkward at best to use purely with a touch screen and touch keyboard. Not unless peripherals for tactile keyboards and mice become much more common, or we start using some really funky 3D gesture based technology.

Desktops and Laptops will be niche as consumer products within 10 years, but they won't take a serious hit with business use. There's still business computers out there running Windows XP. The entire Japanese economy still runs on paper. Never underestimate the professional world's reluctance to upgrade.

Andrast posted:

This is a mitigating factor in the short term, but I'm looking more to the long-ish term here. As average consumers move away from PCs, fewer and fewer kids will be exposed to PC gaming, unless they have a parent or a family member who's already a PC gamer. I'd also argue that the big deal about PC gaming since forever is that it's not inherently an enthusiast hobby, the percentage of people who build gaming PCs vs total people who play games on their PCs is probably minuscule. It's had the same draw up to now that cell phones and tablets do now: everybody has one, might as well have some games on it.

I think a possible outcome could be gaming peripherals becoming more common for tablet devices, but I think the more likely future is one where we just don't make games that require controllers anymore. It would be a shame to lose the diversity of input, but it's not like an input system being abandoned has never happened before.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Also, Mr. Radar, both halves of my Sir Billi review have had their copyright blocks lifted.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DStecks posted:

It's not like an input system being abandoned has never happened before.

People still produce, buy and use joysticks pretty often, see a very good portion of fighting game players and also flight+similar sim people.

Also tablets are never gonna be as nice to play on unless I can post the thing up on a stand and plug a KB+M or controller whatever into it. Even then unless tablets get real advanced and start offering actual rosters of games I don't see it happening, they're nice to play emulated junk and like card games on when I can't be at my actual computer, but when I CAN use said computer why would I wanna sit there and fart around with touch screen stuff. Like playing games without a hard controller option (KB+M or actual controller of some kind) forever just sounds like some bizarre torture, at least for me.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 13, 2016

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

People still produce, buy and use joysticks pretty often, see a very good portion of fighting game players and also flight+similar sim people.

Pro fighting game players and flight sim players are a sliver of a sliver of the market. They are the hardcore among the hardcore. The joystick is dead.

Yardbomb posted:

Also tablets are never gonna be as nice to play on unless I can post the thing up on a stand and plug a KB+M or controller whatever into it. Even then unless tablets get real advanced and start offering actual rosters of games I don't see it happening, they're nice to play emulated junk and like card games on when I can't be at my actual computer, but when I CAN use said computer why would I wanna sit there and fart around with touch screen stuff. Like playing games without a hard controller option (KB+M or actual controller of some kind) forever just sounds like some bizarre torture, at least for me.

No, they won't be as nice to play on. It's going to suck. And you're making the assumption that what games a device can play will be a deciding factor in the relative success of tablets vs. PCs, and that simply isn't the case. Your average consumer uses their PC as an internet box, with maybe a bit of gaming, and tablets do that. Since everybody is buying tablets, PCs are redundant.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I know people like to be all doom and gloom about tablets and death of conventional gaming but at the moment PC gaming and console gaming are both as popular as ever and the PS4 is (or at least was) selling similar numbers to the PS2.

There clearly is a market for non-touch screen gaming and I don't really see why it would disappear anytime soon.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Andrast posted:

I know people like to be all doom and gloom about tablets and death of conventional gaming but at the moment PC gaming and console gaming are both as popular as ever and the PS4 is (or at least was) selling similar numbers to the PS2.

There clearly is a market for non-touch screen gaming and I don't really see why it would disappear anytime soon.

This is why I never get any of the "The PC is totally getting phased out" stuff, touch screen gaming blows pretty bad except in a sorta small area of games, if people wanna play a whole lot of games they're gonna keep buying and making computers, then consoles are still massive moneymakers as well. I could see the argument of further tablet stuff overtaking some mobile systems, but until they start somehow running bigger games without just becoming a not-PC they're not really gonna get bought for videogames and the usual is still gonna have it in truckloads.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yardbomb posted:

This is why I never get any of the "The PC is totally getting phased out" stuff, touch screen gaming blows pretty bad except in a sorta small area of games, if people wanna play a whole lot of games they're gonna keep buying and making computers, then consoles are still massive moneymakers as well. I could see the argument of further tablet stuff overtaking some mobile systems, but until they start somehow running bigger games without just becoming a not-PC they're not really gonna get bought for videogames and the usual is still gonna have it in truckloads.

You'd need to make the majority of the Battlefield/CoD playerbase disappear overnight in a puff of Doritos dust to even think about considering PC gaming being "phased out" for a start.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Thinking that the majority of people playing CoD or Battlefield are doing it on PC is the height of goon myopia.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

DStecks posted:

It would be a shame to lose the diversity of input, but it's not like an input system being abandoned has never happened before.

Let me tell you about Star Citizen and the lord and savior of joystick kind Christ Roberts.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Tarquinn posted:

Let me tell you about Star Citizen and the lord and savior of joystick kind Christ Roberts.

i am still convence that the game is a scam, i know people who are building a room to look like the star trek command deck and i don't have the heart to tell them.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DStecks posted:

Thinking that the majority of people playing CoD or Battlefield are doing it on PC is the height of goon myopia.

Thinking that PC gaming is going to die out in favor of tablets is pretty dumb.

And if your argument is that console gaming will reign supreme, consoles are basically just PCs anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Thinking that PC gaming is going to die out in favor of tablets is pretty dumb.

And if your argument is that console gaming will reign supreme, consoles are basically just PCs anyway.

:ughh:

PC gaming isn't going to die because of tablet gaming overtaking it. That's nonsense. Tablet gaming is massively worse than PC gaming. But the vast majority of PCs are not used for gaming anymore.

PC gaming is going to die because PCs are going to die because for 90% of consumers, tablets can do anything a PC can do, and PC gaming is going to be a casualty of that.

• Locked thread