Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
memba this
This poll is closed.
goku 130 46.43%
goku 150 53.57%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

shes just been turned into a saint and i learned on the day before that she was actually a really thoroughly horrible person lol

Mother Theresa scammed the sick and dying for money and piety. She is no Saint. Dood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
she forcibly converted dying people and thought poor people deserved it lol

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Chris Hitchens made a career off casting her out of the church though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the church just made her a saint

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

the church just made her a saint

They made a nazi pedophile apologist a pope.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

personable decorum posted:

Chris Hitchens made a career off casting her out of the church though.

he's famous for a lot more than that, Teresa is just what people remember him most for.

the dude flew to the vatican and argued against her sainthood on his own dime.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Gandhi used to sleep in the buff in the same bed as nude children.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

he's famous for a lot more than that, Teresa is just what people remember him most for.

the dude flew to the vatican and argued against her sainthood on his own dime.

what a dumb rear end lol

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Ghandi was a cool dude and white westerners basically have his personality 100% upside down

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I was at a protest once and when the police came some old midwestern white mom yelled 'REMEMBER WHAT GHANDI WOULD DO, DO NOT RESIST THE POLICE, SHOW THEM RESPECT' and I realized in that moment I hate the left more than the establishment and I joined in with the police on dispersing the crowd

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Modest Mao posted:

I was at a protest once and when the police came some old midwestern white mom yelled 'REMEMBER WHAT GHANDI WOULD DO, DO NOT RESIST THE POLICE, SHOW THEM RESPECT' and I realized in that moment I hate the left more than the establishment and I joined in with the police on dispersing the crowd

Gandhi would have got his rear end lynched in Mississippi. He had numbers on his side, that's why that poo poo worked.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Modest Mao posted:

Ghandi was a cool dude and white westerners basically have his personality 100% upside down

He didn't start nuclear wars?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

everyone could learn a valuable lesson about protesting the police from south korea imo

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Beastie posted:

Gandhi used to sleep in the buff in the same bed as nude children.

Obviously only to test his purity though.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Gandhi's objection to separate entrances for Blacks and Whites in South Africa was that colonial policy lumped Indians in with the blacks. He successfully lobbied for a third "Asiatics" entrance at the post office.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Another Christopher Hitchens Thing That Actually Happened.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Gandhi would have got his rear end lynched in Mississippi. He had numbers on his side, that's why that poo poo worked.

Nah he hated black people as much as any klan member. He would definitely be considered one of the "good ones."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Modest Mao posted:

FOr starters, they know how to spell his name.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
For all the problematic things he did, he at least acknowledged the injustice of the caste system, and said that he would rather see India and her religion die than suffer the continuation of the discrimination against the untouchables.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

It makes me lol that anti-religion Hitchens died and yet his brother who can only muster one article a week for the Daily Mail because it takes him that long to work up enough hateful bile lives on praising Jesus and extolling the virtues of Christianity.

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
~All is fair in doves and prose MOTHERFUCKing FUCKMENS.~

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Jerry Fallwell died and Hitchens said on Fox news that if you gave him an enema you could bury him in a matchbox?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

cuck cuck im gay posted:

Monster closets were never fun in DOOM.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Remember when Jerry Fallwell died and Hitchens said on Fox news that if you gave him an enema you could bury him in a matchbox?

But he said a back thing once about something so according to the DnD legion he is pretty much Hitler squared.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jose posted:

shes just been turned into a saint and i learned on the day before that she was actually a really thoroughly horrible person lol

I may have lost a friend because of this. He got real mad after I complained about her being a saint and had never heard of the literal hundreds, if not thousands, of people that died because of her.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Sounds like you won tho

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

chris hitchens dying is the only time i've been sad a famous person bit it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Groovelord Neato posted:

chris hitchens dying is the only time i've been sad a famous person bit it.

he said women comedians aren't funny

why are you a hate criminal

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

might have been the truest thing he ever wrote.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Groovelord Neato posted:

might have been the truest thing he ever wrote.

care to expound on this

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yes, this is surely the place for it. The Reminder that this is a thing that actually happened" MEGATHREAD

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Beeswax posted:

Yes, this is surely the place for it. The Reminder that this is a thing that actually happened" MEGATHREAD

This is noneya beeswax, beeswax. Now buzz off.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Inzombiac posted:

I may have lost a friend because of this. He got real mad after I complained about her being a saint and had never heard of the literal hundreds, if not thousands, of people that died because of her.

this is a myth that hitchens made up, the whole point of the particular missionaries that St Theresa was part of is to actually live in poverty, exactly like the actual people they're surrounded by, its not the "lets build a well and a nice house out here in africa and wave some bibles around", they only have one set of clothes and live in squalor with the poor themselves. All the money goes back to the global church which then gets spent on more traditional charity stuff. Your friend was right and you dont know anything about what you were talking about

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

except people assumed the money was going to build hospitals and poo poo and not just warehouses for the poor to die in.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
yeah and its not like she could have denounced the duvalliers and survived, sometimes you just have to play the hand you're dealt, i mean, as long as you're able to create a little happiness for some people what does it matter if a few mistakes are made here and here

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Yeah, but didn't St Theresa believe that the poor, suffering and dying were blessed, since suffering was good for your soul? Kind of a weird lady, even if she did good stuff.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Groovelord Neato posted:

except people assumed the money was going to build hospitals and poo poo and not just warehouses for the poor to die in.

The particular branch of missionaries don't build hospitals, their whole thing is giving water to dying people in the gutter that would have died without water, and living exactly as the poor are living... they aren't allowed to have money at all, it goes to other branches. This is india where dying totally alone while people step on you is pretty common

edit: its like you noobs have never heard of a vow of poverty before

fuck the ROW has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Sep 14, 2016

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Misappropriating funds isn't really the thing she's most criticized for. It's standing by and doing nothing in instances where she could definitely have helped because her order believes that suffering is good for the soul. Ergo, she prolonged suffering.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Wow y'all made gently caress the ROW break character. Speaking of things that actually happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Jaramin posted:

Misappropriating funds isn't really the thing she's most criticized for. It's standing by and doing nothing in instances where she could definitely have helped because her order believes that suffering is good for the soul. Ergo, she prolonged suffering.

This is a bunch of bullshit and I'm pretty sure you're retarded.

• Locked thread