Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Leofish posted:

He's just going to announce he's not running for CPC leadership, and he just wanted to gently caress with the media by saying he's got a big announcement that turns out to be nothing.

I was wrong on the Doug Ford thing. Turns out he's putting out a book about him and his crack-smoking brother that'll supposedly out other politicians who have addictions.

quote:

On November 22nd, Doug Ford promises you will know the 'real story'.

Ford Nation: Two Brothers, One Vision—The True Story of the People’s Mayor is a tell all book, which will lead readers through the most tumultous time at Toronto City Hall.

Doug Ford says he and his brother Rob, sat down with Harper Collins, to give their side of the story of what happened through the crack scandal and several conflict of interest lawsuits that the former Mayor of Toronto faced during his time in office.

Doug Ford promises the book will name names, of journalists and politicians who he claims lied in stories or in their version of what happened.

He also suggests he would expose other politicians who have addiction issues.

Ford did promise that he would try his hand at political office again, but he couldn't say whether it would be municipally, provincially or federally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

patonthebach posted:

Yeah gently caress those people that want to back onto a forest or a corn field, what assholes! Everyone should live in a 500 sq foot box within 20 feet of the waterfront, otherwise you are a simpleton.

I love the people saying its affordable electric rates when you just compare kWh, and not include the gigantic extra fees that we pay that most areas dont. Debt charges, insane delivery based on location, etc. It turns 8 or 15 c/kWh into 15 or 25 real quick.

Its like saying gas is cheap in Canada, because compared to the EU it is cheap! But wait, most people in EU don't commute an hour to work on average, so if you compare us to a country of commuters, like the USA, we are 30-50% higher gas prices. Its similar for electricity.

Let me put it to you straight, cowboy:

It is a luxury to live far from other humans. It is far less efficient to deliver electricity to sparsely populated areas as opposed to densely populated areas. Therefore, there is a cost associated with this luxury: the delivery cost of electricity.

Imagine you had to calculate the price of traveling to Niagara Falls. It makes sense that it costs more to get there from farther away. It also costs more if you insist on driving your own vehicle as opposed to taking a fully-booked bus and splitting the cost. It costs more per capita to deliver electricity to sparsely populated areas. It's not hard.

Also, your gas analogy is dumb. It's like saying that people in warmer areas should have less expensive air conditioners, ignoring all other factors, or that people who eat more food should get a discount on it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

patonthebach posted:

Yeah gently caress those people that want to back onto a forest or a corn field, what assholes! Everyone should live in a 500 sq foot box within 20 feet of the waterfront, otherwise you are a simpleton.

Well yeah? You have to be functionally retarded to not love the aroma of downtown Toronto in July. It smells like humanity, and raising a family of four in a bachelor's is the price you have to pay to live the dream.

Forests are disgusting, full of ticks and poo poo. gently caress that.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Well yeah? You have to be functionally retarded to not love the aroma of downtown Toronto in July. It smells like humanity, and raising a family of four in a bachelor's is the price you have to pay to live the dream.

Forests are disgusting, full of ticks and poo poo. gently caress that.

On the flip side, the cost of cheap rural housing is reduced earning potential, and higher hydro costs due to lower density.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Leofish posted:

I was wrong on the Doug Ford thing. Turns out he's putting out a book about him and his crack-smoking brother that'll supposedly out other politicians who have addictions.

drat, I was hoping he'd run for for CPC leadership, win, then tank that entire goddamn party.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

CLAM DOWN posted:

drat, I was hoping he'd run for for OPC leadership, win, then condemn us to fifteen more years of Liberal mismanagement

There we go.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

tagesschau posted:

It is relatively inexpensive, though. The only meaningful way to measure electricity costs is per kWh. You're just looking at the number of the bottom of the bill, ignoring how much electricity it's actually buying you, and deciding it's too high. I can't tell whether you are just innumerate or just hate the Liberals a lot.

So the OEB has a neat calculator here, http://www.ontarioenergyboard.ca/OEB/Consumers/Electricity/Your+Electricity+Utility

For Toronto, 1000 kw at 60/20/20 usage works out to about $209 CAD/$158 USD or 20.9 cents a kwh.

For Rurals, 1000 kw at 60/20/20 usage works out to about $262 CAD/$198 USD or 26.2 cents a kwh.

I researched and made you a chart. Our two neighbours and every state. I don't understand how you can argue that our rates are relatively inexpensive.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN posted:

drat, I was hoping he'd run for for CPC leadership, win, then tank that entire goddamn party.

Lots of time yet. Isn't the leadership convention sometime in fall 2017?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Ikantski posted:

So the OEB has a neat calculator here, http://www.ontarioenergyboard.ca/OEB/Consumers/Electricity/Your+Electricity+Utility

For Toronto, 1000 kw at 60/20/20 usage works out to about $209 CAD/$158 USD or 20.9 cents a kwh.

For Rurals, 1000 kw at 60/20/20 usage works out to about $262 CAD/$198 USD or 26.2 cents a kwh.

I researched and made you a chart. Our two neighbours and every state. I don't understand how you can argue that our rates are relatively inexpensive.

So those states you have listed at the bottom and their prices, are they Canadian dollars or American? And are your Canadian prices in Canadian dollars? Why are you not comparing across the country we live in?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

OSI bean dip posted:

Why are you not comparing across the country we live in?

Ikantski is just using his own argument against him. That's the guy from last page who thinks energy is inexpensive in Ontario and refuses to consider any factors other than what we pay relative to the US.

There are some utility comparisons for Canada though from various provincial utility bodies. IIRC they showed Ontario as third highest as of 2014, I didn't look for more current data but I can only imagine it would be worse.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Lots of time yet. Isn't the leadership convention sometime in fall 2017?

May. The NDP is fall. Candidates have until February to declare.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Schrodinger's power. it is both expensive and not expensive at the same time.

And good god I hate the Fords with a fiery passion, Doug is scum.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

OSI bean dip posted:

So those states you have listed at the bottom and their prices, are they Canadian dollars or American? And are your Canadian prices in Canadian dollars? Why are you not comparing across the country we live in?

I converted the canadian stuff so everything is in USD. I figured there'd be more data points on the states one? Here's a canadian one from hydro manitoba. The hydro ottawa one is priced at 100% off peak (7pm to 7am) usage for whatever reason.

https://www.hydro.mb.ca/regulatory_affairs/energy_rates/electricity/utility_rate_comp.shtml

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 13, 2016

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

OSI bean dip posted:

Did you skip the words and go right to the graphic? Dude did CDN-US conversions for you already.

Across the country, consult this handy chart, done up by Manitoba Hydro. 1,000 kWh is most expensive in Ottawa.
https://www.hydro.mb.ca/regulatory_affairs/energy_rates/electricity/utility_rate_comp.shtml

E: Ikantski get out of my head.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Leofish posted:

Either he's massively overselling what's going to be in the book or he has a publisher who is totally cool with getting sued.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Either he's massively overselling what's going to be in the book or he has a publisher who is totally cool with getting sued.

I have a suspicion all the slanderous parts will be attributed to Rob, to insulate Doug and the publisher.

Either that or the bombshells will be poo poo we already know, for ex: Tootoo has a drinking problem and Trudeau smoked pot.

I don't think it will work.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Ikantski posted:

tagesschau , you just got served.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Yeah you Ontarians kind of get robbed on electricity rates -- I'm in Gatineau, and if I crossed the river over to Ottawa my hydro costs would probably more than double (depending on on/mid/off-peak usage).

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I have a suspicion all the slanderous parts will be attributed to Rob, to insulate Doug and the publisher.

Either that or the bombshells will be poo poo we already know, for ex: Tootoo has a drinking problem and Trudeau smoked pot.

Well I'm not a lawyer but I'm confident you cannot publish a book full of slanderous accusations and then fall back on the excuse that a dead guy said it. The publisher and living author are still responsible for the contents of a book they are selling.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Speaking of power rates, I cannot for the life of me figure out why the Alberta power market looks like it does. I was too young at the time to really grasp what deregulation was about, was it just one of those things where Klein said a competitive market would make things cheaper, and our dumb loving province believed him for some reason?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Well I'm not a lawyer but I'm confident you cannot publish a book full of slanderous accusations and then fall back on the excuse that a dead guy said it. The publisher and living author are still responsible for the contents of a book they are selling.

You and I agree but Doug Ford lives in a magical reality of bullshit and may have conned some hapless literary types to go along with him.

I mean OJ thought he could get away with it (he didn't, the Goldman's wound up with the rights to his book) but this is Doug Ford we're talking about here. The man's web of lies knows no bounds.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

You and I agree but Doug Ford lives in a magical reality of bullshit and may have conned some hapless literary types to go along with him.

I mean OJ thought he could get away with it (he didn't, the Goldman's wound up with the rights to his book) but this is Doug Ford we're talking about here. The man's web of lies knows no bounds.

I feel like Harper Collins isn't that stupid but I guess I could be over estimating their intelligence. It seems more likely that Doug is lying or greatly exaggerating what's in the book.

Or maybe he actually has proof of some accusations? Ford has deep pockets and a vindictive streak, I guess it's possible he actually dug up some dirt or hired some people to do it. As I understand it you can't defame or libel someone or whatever the charge would be if the accusation is true and in the public interest. So who knows, maybe Ford got a private investigator to snap pictures of Karen Stintz railing lines of coke. I find it hard to believe he could restrain himself long enough to put this in a book though.

But my guess is it'll just be a bunch of insinuation that's been combed over by a lawyer, or at best it'll be what you were suggesting earlier and he'll bring up previously known stuff like councillors getting charged with drunk driving. If Doug actually releases unpublished information about the shenanagins of specific journalists and politicians then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Judging a book by its cover and remembering all the times Doug has lied or made a mountain out of a molehill, I doubt the section on the seedy goings-on of other politicians or reporters is going to be long. It's going to be a small section in a book mostly about Rob Ford because Doug Ford is nothing and needs to build himself up by associating himself with his dead younger brother in this Audacity of Hope-style push for higher public office.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

patonthebach posted:

tagesschau , you just got served.
Yeah, I totally wasn't paying more than twice as much in the U.S. because Ikantski made a chart. :laffo:

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 13, 2016

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

tagesschau posted:

Yeah, I totally wasn't paying more than twice as much in the U.S. because Ikantski made a chart. :laffo:

'Here's my personal anecdote that proves your numbers are lies'

PT6A parachute account spotted

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

tagesschau posted:

Feel free to actually demonstrate your own assertion any day now, its only been 2 pages of that throwaway bullshit. Unless you're actually going with "Ontario is inexpensive because I once paid more power while living in the US" and if so, holy poo poo.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

If the purpose of the book is to raise Doug's profile in conservative circles and earn him some of that sweet, sweet wingnut welfare, it will definitely work.

The actual content of the book will almost certainly be a compilation of already published newspaper articles about Liberal politicians and their drinking problems.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

Whiskey Sours posted:

If the purpose of the book is to raise Doug's profile in conservative circles and earn him some of that sweet, sweet wingnut welfare, it will definitely work.

The actual content of the book will almost certainly be a compilation of already published newspaper articles about Liberal politicians and their drinking problems.

That's going to be a long book

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:swoon:

quote:

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau plans to approve at least one new oil pipeline project in his first term, with Kinder Morgan Inc.’s Trans Mountain expansion to the Pacific Coast the most likely candidate, people familiar with his plans said.

The prime minister is seeking to strengthen environmental standards and build confidence in new regulatory rules while also stoking growth in Canada’s sluggish economy by backing a pipeline. Trudeau therefore plans to neither approve all the projects under consideration nor reject them all, according to the people who spoke on condition of anonymity because the discussions are private.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-13/trudeau-said-to-plan-pipeline-approval-favoring-kinder-morgan

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

:laffo: @ all the progressive idiots who stumped for the Liberals in Vancouver and Burnaby

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

THC posted:

:laffo: @ all the progressive idiots who stumped for the Liberals in Vancouver and Burnaby

He'll put a gay muslim woman in charge of the pipeline project and everyone will be swooning over how it's the most progressive pipeline ever. It doesn't matter if she has a horrible track record of corruption and corner cutting or that she belongs to a right wing think tank. They'll cut the environmental safety budget and put it into a massive yoga and first nations spiritualism event with some well bribed "chiefs" and run some ads about how canada has the most progressive gas in the world.

Ethical oil is out, progressive oil is in. Anyone complaining about the graft or safety issues surrounding the pipeline will be labeled a conservative bigot who doesn't think a woman can manage the project, or pathetic partisan dipper. It's not just about jobs, it's about progressive jobs, because it's 2016.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

Feel free to actually demonstrate your own assertion any day now, its only been 2 pages of that throwaway bullshit. Unless you're actually going with "Ontario is inexpensive because I once paid more power while living in the US" and if so, holy poo poo.

I guess I'll be the first to provide actual numbers, then—something Ikantski hasn't done at all for the U.S. portion of that chart.

On my last bill, the price for the actual power used was 11.47¢/kWh, which is 32% lower than the U.S. national average price of 12.73¢/kWh. (You can see from that chart that the parts of the U.S. that are most like Toronto/Ontario, such as New York and Michigan, are above this average.) I have a higher share of peak-time usage than the OEB's calculator (linked by Ikantski above) suggested, so if the suggested numbers are what the average person uses, they're paying slightly less than I am.

The total bill would be about 20% cheaper in the part of the U.S. where most of my family lives, according to the local utility's bill calculator, but so is just about everything else there other than health care, so it's not a great comparison.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

tagesschau posted:

I guess I'll be the first to provide actual numbers, then—something Ikantski hasn't done at all for the U.S. portion of that chart.

On my last bill, the price for the actual power used was 11.47¢/kWh, which is 32% lower than the U.S. national average price of 12.73¢/kWh. (You can see from that chart that the parts of the U.S. that are most like Toronto/Ontario, such as New York and Michigan, are above this average.) I have a higher share of peak-time usage than the OEB's calculator (linked by Ikantski above) suggested, so if the suggested numbers are what the average person uses, they're paying slightly less than I am.

The total bill would be about 20% cheaper in the part of the U.S. where most of my family lives, according to the local utility's bill calculator, but so is just about everything else there other than health care, so it's not a great comparison.

a) The numbers are right above the bars on the US chart and there's a labeled, vertical axis. To get kwh, just divide by 1000. eg. at $54 USD/1000kwh, Quebec pays 5.4 cents per kwh
b) You can't just decide to not count the distribution and regulatory charges on your bill. Almost every other state and provinces lumps those in with electricity and does not charge separately for distribution. The chart is showing total amount paid on a 1000 kwh bill. What we're saying that people pay per kwh is (Total amount of bill) / (kWh used). That's the only honest way to compare kwh cost. Forget the "actual power", that's crazy. Imagine a pizza company said "Hey we have $10 pizza, cheapest in the country" and then charged you $10 more for delivery when you got the bill. Did you pay $10 for that pizza or did you pay $20+tax for that pizza?
c) It's not a great comparison, you're kind of the fuckin guy who wanted to compare to other countries instead of Canada.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 13, 2016

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Ikantski posted:

a) The numbers are right above the bars on the US chart and there's a labeled, vertical axis
b) You can't just decide to not count the distribution and regulatory charges on your bill. Almost every other state and provinces lumps those in with electricity and does not charge separately for distribution. The chart is showing total amount paid on a 1000 kwh bill. What we're saying that people pay per kwh is (Total amount of bill) / (kWh used). That's the only honest way to compare kwh cost. Forget the "actual power", that's crazy. Imagine a pizza company said "Hey we have $10 pizza, cheapest in the country" and then charged you $10 more for delivery when you got the bill. Did you pay $10 for that pizza or did you pay $20+tax for that pizza?
c) It's not a great comparison, you're kind of the fuckin guy who wanted to compare to other countries instead of Canada.

a) And where did you get that chart, exactly? You haven't cited a source.
b) It's more that I can't find distribution and regulatory charges for half the places I've looked in the U.S. Do you have a source for them?
c) By that line of argument, we can't say that airfares are too high in Canada, because we'd have to compare them to places that aren't Canada. :eng99:

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

tagesschau posted:

a) And where did you get that chart, exactly? You haven't cited a source.
b) It's more that I can't find distribution and regulatory charges for half the places I've looked in the U.S. Do you have a source for them?
c) By that line of argument, we can't say that airfares are too high in Canada, because we'd have to compare them to places that aren't Canada. :eng99:

Stop. Just stop. You arent right about this. Just admit you were a bit misinformed and didnt have all the facts. Do your own research about how much are any additional fees for the other comparisons. I'll give you a hint though, most don't have any type of fees like an seperate delivery fee (excluding special customers where they had to have lines brought in for) or debt retirement, etc. Many in the USA don't even pay a sales tax on hydro. Our rates here are high. Deal with it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
a) http://www.les.com/_resources/dyn/files/1136532z82b94180/_fn/rate-survey.pdf
b) It doesn't matter? The only two numbers that matter are kwh used and dollars paid. Most of them don't have ToU pricing. Some have rate riders and about 100 other different tweaks. All we're comparing is "How much money (including delivery, fees, regulatory, taxes, debt retirement charges, clean air benefits, etc) do electricity consumers pay per kwh in different jurisdictions?"
c) I don't mind comparing to the US. You're right that some places do pay slightly more but so many more are cheaper, I don't think we're the highest in north america quite yet despite what OPCs are saying.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

patonthebach posted:

Stop. Just stop. You arent right about this. Just admit you were a bit misinformed and didnt have all the facts. Do your own research about how much are any additional fees for the other comparisons. I'll give you a hint though, most don't have any type of fees like an seperate delivery fee (excluding special customers where they had to have lines brought in for) or debt retirement, etc. Many in the USA don't even pay a sales tax on hydro. Our rates here are high. Deal with it.

You can't prove me wrong, so you'll just keep spluttering that I just am and that it's got to be the case because you said so, and if I disagree, I can do your research for you? No thanks.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Conrad Black endorsed Donald Trump today.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

dicks assassin posted:

Conrad Black endorsed Donald Trump today.

Of course he did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

tagesschau posted:

You can't prove me wrong, so you'll just keep spluttering that I just am and that it's got to be the case because you said so, and if I disagree, I can do your research for you? No thanks.

Between you and Ikantski, only one of you has refused to present facts and has wilfully misread or ignored the data posted by the other.