Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

a bone to pick posted:

Also, have fun with that bloatware that PC manufacturers cram into every Windows laptop.

that's actually heavily declined the last few years because I think microsoft got involved. just bought a toshiba laptop for my wife and it had no bloatware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

MiracleWhale posted:

the 1984 apple commercial where the woman throws a sledgehammer through big brother's monitor, but the monitor says Alienware on it

alienware is the Mac of PCs

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Lenovo made good PCs? Those were the days...

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

loquacius posted:

Btw there's still people unironically defending the headphone jack decision in the YOSPOS apple thread

I bet they'll change their minds when they realize that this means they can no longer gently caress their iPhone and cum in it

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
hrm hrm

your operating system is a piece of poo poo

(wish i had stuck w/ windows 7, 10 is just bleeeeeh)

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
ive literally never had a single issue ever in my life with windows update.
works on my machine.
pebkac.

KifygmySkulltulas
Sep 13, 2016

by Smythe
~ I actually <3 Windows like a lush ~

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

shoophobo posted:

works on my machine.
pebkac.

good thing i can't fit between my keyboard and my chair anymore thanks to unlimited pasta days at olive garden :smuggo:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

hrm hrm

your operating system is a piece of poo poo

(wish i had stuck w/ windows 7, 10 is just bleeeeeh)

Like I don't see a big difference personally

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

shoophobo posted:

works on my machine.
pebkac.

My home PC restarts multiple times a month because I was so excited to try the Bash shell that I put it on the fast Insider ring and am too lazy to take it off

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The only reason I'm on Windows 10 (which I ended up not hating) is because my Windows 7 Automatic Update process somehow borked itself and I was getting unending loops of it attempting to install an update, failing, and then repeating the whole process every time I reboot. Looking up the error code it is apparently a sign that some file got corrupted and MS didn't have some kind of process to easily restore it short of just doing a Windows reinstall

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
but hey, at least you don't have to mess around with autoexec.bat to get the sound working...

oh right, headphone jacks!

fuckin apple! i'll garrote ya with my headphone cor.... what the hell!

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Mozi posted:

fuckin apple! i'll garrote ya with my headphone cor.... what the hell!

check and mate :smug:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

Remember when Lenovo made good PCs? Those were the days...

*leans back in chair and has a flashback to literally never*

*has flashback filled with ads pushed by the BIOS-level malware installed by Lenovo at the factory*

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib

MiracleWhale posted:

good thing i can't fit between my keyboard and my chair anymore thanks to unlimited pasta days at olive garden :smuggo:

I hear that my man!
:reject::respek::reject:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Going to real easy to mug a hipster now for those earbuds.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

a retard posted:

the irony is that most people who buy macbooks just use it for email and internet and they could do the exact same thing with not much visible performance loss on a $300 piece of poo poo from walmart

I have people in my company who demand Macs, and then do all their work in a VM of Windows

I bet they look really good at their conference room meetings though

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Literally just shake an apple nerd and collect any peripheral that falls out of him.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

I have people in my company who demand Macs, and then do all their work in a VM of Windows

I bet they look really good at their conference room meetings though

jeez you'd think they'd at least use bootcamp

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

a bone to pick posted:

Literally just shake an apple nerd and collect any peripheral that falls out of him.

*pulls gun* Hand over the phone and the ear buds- why are you taking off the watch- not the watch- I don't want the loving watch! *bang*

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
My Surface Pro 3 owns, it's great that Microsoft is a high end hardware company now.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib
The surface book is nice. the new dell XPS and razer's blade look pretty rad too.
lol at poors who buy a $200 walmart laptop and cry when the 20gb of walmart.exe bloatware on it cause it to over heat then they pay me like $150 to spend an hour to replace the fan and run malwarebytes.
just lol

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I fell for the hype and bought a MacBook in 2012 and it was the biggest piece of poo poo I ever owned. It struggled to run MS Word, it would take 10 minutes to boot, it was heavy and hot and gay as hell. It ran worse than my beat up 2004 HP tablet. But hey at least the shell was finished aluminum, that's what counts right!!

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm excited about the future when the Internet is a Human Right and Raspberry Pi type computers are given out to children @ birth with games installed.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib
I do like that it finally pushed PC manufacturers to build laptops out of materials that don't crack from a one inch drop in a backpack or from a slightly heavy book on top.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeha but it also pushed manufacturers to adopt the loving piece of poo poo touchpad.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

More credit to Apple, I don't think I've ever used a touchpad that worked well that wasn't attached to an MBP

As I understand it new laptops are supposed to be getting better at that too but I haven't tried one that paid dividends on it

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You can uninstall bloatware.

You can't uninstall gay.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

happyhippy posted:

You can't uninstall gay.

<desperately runs back and forth through bulk eraser>

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
You can install windows updates

that send your computer into a boot loop.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib
The old clicking MacBook touchpad where the whole thing was a glass button wasn't too bad to be honest. I used a MacBook pro for like a week at work for whatever reason in 2011-12ish and I liked how smooth and big it was compared to PC touchpads of the time.

But now it doesn't move or click at all and has something called magic tickle or whatever that vibrates like a touch keyboard and that's super lame.

So now all laptop touchpads suck rear end and I have a MX anywhere 2 I got off eBay for $30 that lets me switch between 3 devices via Bluetooth or dongle. So whatever.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

happyhippy posted:

Unless it is a lenovo. Then it just reinstalls the malware via a UEFI backdoor (not even joking).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

We're in a boot loop
And we always stick together
We're in a boot loop
Best of friends forever

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was Apple the one who came up with touch screen laptops? Because that's the dumbest idea ever.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
No but it was rumored they were making a touch-screen keyboard which is an even worse idea.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib

a bone to pick posted:

No but it was rumored they were making a touch-screen keyboard which is an even worse idea.

it's courageous.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

and you knew who you were then

hertz were hertz and vram was vram

Mister we could use a card like Voodoo again

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

touchscreens on laptops came out during Intel's Ultrabook push (i.e. PLEASE BUY LAPTOPS AND NOT TABLETS WHAT TABLET STUFF CAN WE CRAM ONTO LAPTOPS). While I hate them, we actually have some decent 2-in-1 style devices (Surface, those early Asus Transformer) now so I guess it was kind of worth it?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I got a cheapo ASUS laptop, and what little bloatware it had was easy to get rid of. Props ASUS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
drat, unfortunately you bought an Asus, that motherboard is going to fry really soon.

• Locked thread