Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

The Grey and Juvia relationship will prove that in the end, being a creepy stalker who doesn't value other people's personal space is the path to love.

The Juvia/Gray relationship is comparatively normal when you consider the rest of the relationships in Fairy Tail. Like the only one that isn't at least weird is Elfman/Evergreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

chumbler posted:

The Juvia/Gray relationship is comparatively normal when you consider the rest of the relationships in Fairy Tail. Like the only one that isn't at least weird is Elfman/Evergreen.

Uh what about the two cowboy people? Bisca and... Al-something??? They have a kid?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Uh what about the two cowboy people? Bisca and... Al-something??? They have a kid?

To be honest, I forgot about them.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I forget a lot of stuff about Fairy Tail

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

The Grey and Juvia relationship will prove that in the end, being a creepy stalker who doesn't value other people's personal space is the path to love.

Good, there's hope for me.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I believe in you!

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Ganbare zep. :shobon:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
New chapter is up on MS. Neinhart went down too easily after the hype about his defenses being strong enough to block Brandish's magic, but that's Fairy Tail for you. Also, while Mashima at least managed to make some sense of how Brandish feels about Natsu and Lucy, the relationship between Brandish and Dimaria is as confusing as ever. First they seemed to hate each other, then Dimaria seemed to really miss Brandish when they were imprisoned separately, then it seemed like Dimaria was acting insincerely clingy towards Brandish because she'd become terrified of Fairy Tail and wanted a strong ally, now she's Brandish's jealous ex-girlfriend? It's a common sentiment here that flashbacks are overused in shonen, but I think a flashback here would help a lot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Can Lucy get a clean win for once?

Also Mashima (and shounen generally) needs to learn that enemies with basically instant win powers that they just ~choose not to use~ need very good writing to justify that or they end up sucking away any tension.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Flashback is not needed, it's Mashima hinting at a lesbian relationship, but because its a battle shonen all the mandatory violence and torture makes it more abusive than provocative

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Simoom posted:

Flashback is not needed, it's Mashima hinting at a lesbian relationship, but because its a battle shonen all the mandatory violence and torture makes it more abusive than provocative

See, Mashima actually did something similar with Kyouka and Sayla in the Tartaros arc, but it worked there (at least somewhat) because for all the torturing Kyouka did to people other than Sayla, she and Sayla seemed to sincerely care about each other. (It's pretty much the only time Mashima has humanized a villain without having them become a "good guy.")

Here it just doesn't work because the first thing we learn about Dimaria is that she and Brandish can't stand each other. And you can't even say it's just a tsundere thing, because after Dimaria escapes from prison she's all "I'm sorry about all the awful things I said to you! Now let's go kill these Ishgar guys together and definitely avoid getting into fights alone!"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I just realized Mashima can't even keep it consistent over the course of a few pages.

Dimaria on page 20 (smugly): "Such a pity, Randi...You're simply no good to us any more."
On page 21 she's frowning as she slices up Brandish. I guess that could be taken as regretting what she feels she had no choice but to do?
Dimaria on page 22: "Tell me...Are you the one responsible for corrupting my Randi?"
Then on page 23 she's enraged and crying.

From smug indifference to yandere love in just a couple pages.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Mashima just realized he's running out of time to write gazey lesbian side characters considering it's the mangas endgame and is just trying out every single variation of Randi and Maris relationship he can while he has the chance.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Its sad how far behind the power creep curve Lucy is.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Its sad how far behind the power creep curve Lucy is.

Assuming the Time God inside Dimaria was burned out of her by Chelia's God Slayer powers, Lucy should be able to win without too much trouble. I like the ambiguity where Lucy is surprised by Dimaria's speed when she slices up Brandish, but it isn't explicitly stated that Dimaria stopped time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I actually like Lucy's powers post upgrade, which are basically just Erza's before Erza more or less stopped using hers. The only real problem is apparently Aquarius was the only spirit who was actually worth a drat and I guess it's a law that Lucy is never allowed to win fights.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Lucy didn't even get to job to the size mage. Even her jobbing gets interrupted now.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

She had one job and she can't even job that job before she'd jobbed out of the way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i liked the implication size mage could have just exploded everyone if she wanted to

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is there a term for powers in shonen you have but can't use because of censorship?

Like yeah you could explode everyone's spleens but you're not allowed since that would be too gory so instead giantess fetish.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Is there a term for powers in shonen you have but can't use because of censorship?

Like yeah you could explode everyone's spleens but you're not allowed since that would be too gory so instead giantess fetish.

The :tvtropes: term is Could Have Been Messy. Though in this case I think the issue is less censorship and more keeping main characters alive.

Edit: Actually, it's more specifically Inverse Law of Utility and Lethality.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 13, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Spiderdrake posted:

Wolverine claws I guess.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Did I miss something... when did Lucy start acquiring the powers of her keys? She's pretty much Ezra now...

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think it was after the second timeskip?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Holy poo poo why do some people think everything in this manga is a fetish? That's pretty scary.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I think it was after the second timeskip?

Yeah. She showed it off then, but has not done much with it up until now. By that I mean she used more than one key.

sharktamer posted:

Holy poo poo why do some people think everything in this manga is a fetish? That's pretty scary.

Fearposting is my fetish, so do go on. :smugmrgw:

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
Didn't she show off her key upgrade with the fight versus Jason Statham? I think she used Gemini in that one and her outfit was similar to a jester. I figured you guys would at least remember stuff with Statham.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Memory loss in relation to anything fairy tail is excusable and understandable.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Everything after tartarus has been a blur.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaTO8_KNcuo

Jesus, we finally remember that Natsu had magic cancer and it turns out it wasn't magic cancer this whole time. It was actually way more dangerous than magic cancer, but will inevitably be turned into a power up.

Since Lucy is technically the protagonist of the manga, is there any other protagonist ever who managed never, ever win. Not even once?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gyges posted:

Jesus, we finally remember that Natsu had magic cancer and it turns out it wasn't magic cancer this whole time. It was actually way more dangerous than magic cancer, but will inevitably be turned into a power up.

Since Lucy is technically the protagonist of the manga, is there any other protagonist ever who managed never, ever win. Not even once?

I still believe in Lucy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gyges posted:

Lucy has won before though? She certainly doesn't have a great record but she's not Renji.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

she beat up the fat guy so that she could get the masochist maid like a billion chapters ago

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

and that one fight where she got gemini

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
Lucy is substantially the better of the main five. She has better moments at least.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Did the new chapter come out early or did the translaters just work really fast this week

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

it's pretty obviously demon power

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

sharktamer posted:

Because it's a joke post about a joke manga in a joke thread.

Stop clownposting up a defense for legendary amnesia manga fairy tail, no one remembers this except for you

Gyges posted:

I hope it's some kind of crystallized fire tumor and he just pulls it out, punches it and then eats it

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I bet it is actually his book that he was summoned from or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

My reaction to this chapter is that Levy is cute well bye

• Locked thread