Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Is the maintenance right now related to the update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Some info from Sirrian:

quote:

the entire amount of stuff you can now net in a single week from your guild
TASKS: 590 Gems, 42 Event Keys, 320 Glory, 64 Gem Keys, 236 Glory Keys, 5900 Souls, 2200 Gold Keys, 9 Maps
SEALS: 75 Guild Keys
STATUE BONUSES: +50% XP, +6 Map Turns, +6% Tribute Chance, +10% Tribute Amount, +50% Souls, +2 Glory per PvP Battle
SKILL BONUS (7d): +8 Armor, +8 Life, +3 Attack, +2 Magic

Those statue bonuses look pretty good on the whole, especially the souls and tribute chance ones. That number of glory keys is roughly half what Blossums pulls in these days, I think, and similar with gems (not that we would come anywhere close to maxing out the weekly contributions under this new system). On the other hand, we'll be getting event keys and gem keys.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

You pull in 1000 gems a week wtf

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Yeah, I may be misremembering, but I'm right within a factor of 2.

Also, do not spend keys if you have been saving them. The new kingdom, Dragon's Claw, is expected to drop within a week. I now regret spending all the glory/gold keys I've been getting.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grundulum posted:

Also, do not spend keys if you have been saving them. The new kingdom, Dragon's Claw, is expected to drop within a week. I now regret spending all the glory/gold keys I've been getting.

Son of a bitch... I blew almost all mine over the past few days. Oh well...

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Just picked this up, it looks pretty awesome. Would love a guild invite if any guilds have room, invite code is STACKER.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Grundulum posted:

The chests are saying content changes in 20 days, but I forget if they said that before the last kingdom dropped.

Also, I popped a Guild chest and pulled some dumb common. :(

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

You can get 2200 gold keys in a week? My minor traitstones might finally catch back up to my major traitstones.

How much gold does it take to max out one color on tasks? The prices are already getting more hefty than the old ones at 4/12.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Completing all 12 tasks is 2.6 million gold.

There will almost certainly be an adjustment to both gold keys (down) and glory keys (up) coming soon. Gold keys were faaaaar too plentiful compared to other kinds of keys.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Hush. Myabe I'll finally get some commons up to Mythic.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hmm the new guild stuff is interesting. Gonna have to play around with it to figure out what the best way to contribute is.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
What I, personally, would like to see is all six colors at 6/12 or 7/12 before we worry about powering through to completing all twelve tasks in a single color each week. The stat bonus would be nice, but I'd rather make sure we're getting gem keys and event keys at a decent rate. Getting keys (and souls, now that they're rebalanced) will help get troops, traitstones, and souls needed to power up kingdoms to 3 or 5 stars of power. Having a permanent +6-8 magic is much better than having an expensive, temporary boost of +2. (I do agree that purple would be the color to polish off first, since it awards bonus magic. The task rewards are better for other colors, but the skill reward is superior.)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Grundulum posted:

What I, personally, would like to see is all six colors at 6/12 or 7/12 before we worry about powering through to completing all twelve tasks in a single color each week. The stat bonus would be nice, but I'd rather make sure we're getting gem keys and event keys at a decent rate. Getting keys (and souls, now that they're rebalanced) will help get troops, traitstones, and souls needed to power up kingdoms to 3 or 5 stars of power. Having a permanent +6-8 magic is much better than having an expensive, temporary boost of +2. (I do agree that purple would be the color to polish off first, since it awards bonus magic. The task rewards are better for other colors, but the skill reward is superior.)

so what's the deal with those? you do the tasks and you get your guild a temporary boost? how long's the boost last?

it is interesting that you can get gem keys now through guild tasks, and there's that seals system thing and upgrading the guild chest for improved chest contents

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
The large amount of gold keys rewarded is actually pretty neat. Gives you a lot of glory for more weekly glory chests, and in turn arcane traitstones. Also minor traitstones. And the little to-do list with the seals is interesting to, maybe it'll motivate me to do a treasure hunt each day.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

The new seals currency is nice for somewhat new players, like me, who cannot donate gold because it is still needed for leveling kingdoms. Basically, seals allow active players to contribute to the guild in another way - leveling up the rewards from the new seal chest. It still seems a bit clunky since you have to actually go to the seal screen to receive your seals... Besides all that, the extra passive bonuses like xp and souls are awesome, too. Pretty happy with this update.

I've bought the dragon armor, and have since been stockpiling gems. What is the next thing to burn them on? Gem/event chests? Another armor? Casket of souls? Got about 1450 gems.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

duckfarts posted:

so what's the deal with those? you do the tasks and you get your guild a temporary boost? how long's the boost last?

Word on the street is 7 days from when you complete task #12. Could also be until the next event reset; either would make sense. Gem Blossums is unlikely to find out any time soon.

Blacula posted:

I've bought the dragon armor, and have since been stockpiling gems. What is the next thing to burn them on? Gem/event chests? Another armor? Casket of souls? Got about 1450 gems.

Buy gem chests in 50-packs to bulk up your supply of ultra-rares, epics, and legendaries. Once you're missing a handful of legendaries, you can start targeting those with event keys during that kingdom's event week. In the meantime, if there is a legendary you want on any given week, by all means used your saved up event keys (you'll probably get a dozen or so each week) to try your luck.

Don't spend gems on anything that isn't keys or armor. And the armor thing is debatable. In the post-2.1 environment, it probably isn't worth spending an additional 500 gems to get +50% souls but -50% gold.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Blacula posted:

The new seals currency is nice for somewhat new players, like me, who cannot donate gold because it is still needed for leveling kingdoms. Basically, seals allow active players to contribute to the guild in another way - leveling up the rewards from the new seal chest. It still seems a bit clunky since you have to actually go to the seal screen to receive your seals... Besides all that, the extra passive bonuses like xp and souls are awesome, too. Pretty happy with this update.

after money armor, gems go to gem/event chests. i'd probably wait until one of those "only in gem/event chests" troops comes out then go hog wild

don't buy souls :cmon:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I'm sad that they've pretty much given up on balancing the game. The power creep is insane with the introduction of new OP units to counter last month's OP units. I'm so sick of seeing some combination of Korvash/Manticore/Spirit Fox.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

grrarg posted:

I'm sad that they've pretty much given up on balancing the game. The power creep is insane with the introduction of new OP units to counter last month's OP units. I'm so sick of seeing some combination of Korvash/Manticore/Spirit Fox.

For real, I realized the other day that Korvash is basically just a better version of Moloch. You can't target the back two units, but getting to hit two and the stun effect is way better than targeting. Looking at some of the earlier legendaries, there isn't much of a reason to use them.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Amira can one-shot most player's Khorvash. Check her out.

A lot of the old troops could use a huge buff.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'm all about the Bat. It's so good! AOE true damage! Self heal! Jinx trait! Synergy with Valkyrie!

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

gromdul posted:

Amira can one-shot most player's Khorvash. Check her out.

A lot of the old troops could use a huge buff.
Pointing to an OP new troop as a counter to another OP new troop just reinforces the point about how they've thrown balance out the window. Amira is already on a lot of the Manticore/Khorvash/Spirit Fox teams I see.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Card games, and don't fool yourself by thinking this isn't one, are all about the power creep. And the ignoring balancing for older cards to support the power creep, otherwise why would people pay for the new hotness?

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
Any tips for getting 60+ turns in a treasure hunt? I tried one yesterday, and thought I was doing pretty good but only got to 57.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Captain Redbeard posted:

Any tips for getting 60+ turns in a treasure hunt? I tried one yesterday, and thought I was doing pretty good but only got to 57.

Always prioritize 5 match > 4 match > double 3s. Try to get matches lower in the board if possible, they'll affect the upper gems and there'll be a higher chance of something cascading well. Also be lucky.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Night Danger Moose posted:

Always prioritize 5 match > 4 match > double 3s. Try to get matches lower in the board if possible, they'll affect the upper gems and there'll be a higher chance of something cascading well. Also be lucky.

True, and this may sound obvious, but do the 5 and 4 matches from top to bottom first. I also try to keep the bottom half clean of bronze and possibly silver when there's no 4 or 5 matches on the board, that seems to help as well. And uh, choose the right time to convert green chests into red. That's a little esoteric and I do this by feel, but cleaning them up at the right time can lead to a reinvigorated board. But doing them as soon as you can wastes a lot of turns, so having a critical mass where you can do a couple of 4/5-matches of green (don't be afraid to do that) helps with that, at least when going for lots of turns.

Also I dunno how old IK is, but that troop is still really good and I'd like a second double converter troop.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Captain Redbeard posted:

-Learn to recognize 4 and 5+ matches - and I don't mean just the ones the game points out, there are a lot of treasure hunt-specific tricks that allow you to get free turns by dropping things into place or matching tiles so that they fuse into a higher-value tile that immediately triggers a 4+ match.
-When you have multiple 4 and/or 5 matches available, you generally want to clear them from top to bottom. If you start from the bottom, the cascade will probably ruin or trigger the matches up top, so you get less overall turns than if you had matched them all individually.
-Using a 3-match to set up a 5+ match on your next move is actually better than taking a 4-match.
-When you have nothing but 3-matches left, prioritize the ones in the bottom middle, since they are more likely to cause cascades and set up free turns than ones near the top or the sides.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but the starting number of turns for Treasure Hunt appears to have been upped from 8 to 11. So that should also help a bit.

Also what those other people said.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Coffeehitler posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but the starting number of turns for Treasure Hunt appears to have been upped from 8 to 11. So that should also help a bit.

Also what those other people said.

That's probably due to some new Guild skill, one of those gave +Treasure Hunt turns, I think it can go as high as +6 IIRC.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Oenis posted:

That's probably due to some new Guild skill, one of those gave +Treasure Hunt turns, I think it can go as high as +6 IIRC.

Yeah, the green statue gives you an extra treasure hunt turn for every 15(?) levels it has.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Btw, for those who haven't seen them yet, the new common troops from the guild chests:

http://ashtender.com/gems/troops?filter=common+guardians

Pretty good gem spawners. Purple Guardian gives 4 magic to all allies, plus 4 for each death marked enemy? He kills the ally in your 4th spot in the process though, so it'll probably be somewhat hard to break this ability.

But I can see blue and certainly red see some play too. That last trait on red, drat.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

grrarg posted:

Pointing to an OP new troop as a counter to another OP new troop just reinforces the point about how they've thrown balance out the window. Amira is already on a lot of the Manticore/Khorvash/Spirit Fox teams I see.

I had more typed, but stopped caring enough to finish my thought. There are dozens of useless, under-powered troops.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Vulpes posted:

Just picked this up, it looks pretty awesome. Would love a guild invite if any guilds have room, invite code is STACKER.

Still looking for a guild invite if there's space. Thanks!

Game is fun. Is the $5 starter pack worth it?

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Vulpes posted:

Still looking for a guild invite if there's space. Thanks!

Game is fun. Is the $5 starter pack worth it?
For the first time since I can remember, Gem Blossums actually doesn't have a single member that has been inactive for more than 2 days.

Unfortunately I don't really remember what is in the starter pack, so I am not sure.. What is in it? Some armor if I remember correctly?

In general, the first thing you should aim for is getting your Dragon armor so you get more gold and stuff. A guild really helps with that, though. :(

And it seems to me like most things you can purchase aren't actually that effective, since in most cases things are either way too expensive (i.e. the later packs they sell) or just get you a few more lottery tickets that are unlikely to yield those few troops that you are still chasing after.

Edit: Come to think of it, I think I actually bought that starter pack.. Didn't regret it, at least.

voodoo dog fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 13, 2016

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I got drunk on vacation and bought the whale armor, now my 100 souls after each battle stare at me as a reminder of my shame

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Wuntvor posted:

For the first time since I can remember, Gem Blossums actually doesn't have a single member that has been inactive for more than 2 days.

A bunch of them are sitting at 0 seals, though, and you gain 15 just for logging in. Pro tip for them and any new players: for some dumb reason, seals have to be claimed, so once in a while go to the appropriate tab and do the thing.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Wuntvor posted:

Unfortunately I don't really remember what is in the starter pack, so I am not sure.. What is in it? Some armor if I remember correctly?

Ok, I'll check back in a few days and join a pubbie guild in the meantime so I'm at least getting something.

The pack is:

Archmage Armor (+50% xp)
3,000 gold
1,000 souls
3 gem keys
6 gold keys

I think I'll go ahead and get it, maybe I'll get something useful out of the chests that'll let me unlock arena.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

seravid posted:

A bunch of them are sitting at 0 seals, though, and you gain 15 just for logging in. Pro tip for them and any new players: for some dumb reason, seals have to be claimed, so once in a while go to the appropriate tab and do the thing.

Yeah I haven't checked but I don't feel like seal completions stack either so if you level up go claim them.

Don't quote me on that but I leveled up twice and didn't get double the seals.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Blacula posted:

Yeah, good update. Pretty much everything on the guild tab is improved. It was a bit of a oh poo poo moment logging in, collecting dailies and guild rewards, and seeing 200+ keys ready to be used.

I'll have my kingdoms to 10 sometime soon. A week maybe. At one point I wasn't careful with ascending, and used up all of my druids in the 3x druid/Valkyrie team. Finally, got one back and tried the Knight Coronet in the top spot to fill it out. That really sped up the kill rate when exploring, but lowered the amount of souls since every thing died much quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Vulpes posted:

Ok, I'll check back in a few days and join a pubbie guild in the meantime so I'm at least getting something.

The pack is:

Archmage Armor (+50% xp)
3,000 gold
1,000 souls
3 gem keys
6 gold keys

I think I'll go ahead and get it, maybe I'll get something useful out of the chests that'll let me unlock arena.
Eww, oh yes, now I remember.. You have probably already gone ahead but I'd just get the 15x15 gems instead, you'll get more out of that as the +xp Armor is pretty useless.