  • Post
Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Geoj posted:

I wonder if flood insurance underwriters have had the foresight to write in exclusion clauses for climate change induced sea level rise. I'm guessing if your house gets permanently flooded by rising seas your flood insurance carrier is going to weasel out of paying a claim somehow.

My car insurance has a section about what they cover should the car find itself in a war zone. Tl:dr, they'll pay for damage from nuclear fallout, won't pay if an rpg hits it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Uthor posted:

My car insurance has a section about what they cover should the car find itself in a war zone. Tl:dr, they'll pay for damage from nuclear fallout, won't pay if an rpg hits it.

No more trips to chicago!

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Memento posted:

The map I posted shows where the geology allows for the infiltration of seawater from increased storm surge and rising sea levels, due to porous sandstone and limestone close to the surface. The sandstone (yellow) will only allow infiltration but the limestone (blue) will experience infiltration as well as dissolution, meaning sinkholes will open as well as the water table rising.

What does any of this have to do with poorly maintained cars?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FatCow posted:

What does any of this have to do with poorly maintained cars?

What does any of the last few pages of the thread have to do with it? Read them and tell me, you seem to be the thread police today.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I thought it was a very amusing derail, goons should stop being crabby.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Sudo Echo posted:

Of course in Oakland all the rich folks up in the hills will be fine, it's just the lovely parts that will be washed away. Climate change is racist.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My former coworker just removed a windshield washer pump from his late-00 Audi.

Road salt is awesome.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Probably shouldn't be using salt water as windshield washer fluid anyways.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

FatCow posted:

What does any of this have to do with poorly maintained cars?

I'm in the mountains, I dont give a gently caress about sea level rise or poorly maintained cars. Unless said sea level rise gets to 1000 meters.

`Nemesis posted:

Probably more of a horrible owner failure, but it works

What the gently caress

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Probably shouldn't be using salt water as windshield washer fluid anyways.

Might be summer fluid got left in the pump over a fall deep freeze.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Might be summer fluid got left in the pump over a fall deep freeze.

Yeah, then stick 50% methanol winter washer fluid in there, and it'll rust quickfast. I coated the inside of my pump box in the truck with rubberized undercoating and the methanol completely disolved it and rusted the plate in a week.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
When I pulled the 49 year old washer pump from my Vette, it looked infinitely better than that. Just had to scoop out and replace the grease (which was more of a paste, at this point). And it's a Colorado car.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sudo Echo posted:

Of course in Oakland all the rich folks up in the hills will be fine, it's just the lovely parts that will be washed away. Climate change is racist.

In historical San Francisco the cheapest land used to be at the top of the hills, because it was a big pain to walk up and down to get to your house. The rich people built their houses down near the water.

As soon as the cable cars were built, the land values reversed. All of the rich people bought up the tops of the hills, because they could easily pay for the trolley rides up and down every day, allowing them to get away from the poor people who wouldn't bother to walk up the hills if they didn't have to.

So you're semi-right about that.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Not shown: The 1/2"-drive breaker bar where the handle bent.
Should just get a proper 3/4" 32mm socket for this type of thing.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Get you some bap-bap

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Adapters always 100% break

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Raluek posted:

Get you some bap-bap

Everyone should have a 3/4 drive gun in reserve for the really stubborn poo poo.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
And some kind of torch. A bit of heat can make a big difference.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I suspect so many states are reticent to acknowledge climate change as by doing so, they will drastically alter their most wealthy tax base with waterfront property. If they show they believe many million dollar properties are eventually going to be worthless along with the land they sit on, they will be forced to find alternate revenue. No one wants to eat that poo poo sandwich yet. Rich folks can also afford to sue.

You mean like when Hurricane Sandy hit NJ and the state taxpayers bailed out the beach front homeowners and rebuilt their multimillion dollar homes? And then also payed to raise the existing houses on stilts, as well as build dunes and other beach reinforcements, which the wealthy homeowners actually fought against the whole time because they didn't want their view disturbed?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

FogHelmut posted:

You mean like when Hurricane Sandy hit NJ and the state taxpayers bailed out the beach front homeowners and rebuilt their multimillion dollar homes? And then also payed to raise the existing houses on stilts, as well as build dunes and other beach reinforcements, which the wealthy homeowners actually fought against the whole time because they didn't want their view disturbed?

Oh God, I had forgotten about that shitshow. Maybe Kevin Costner had the right idea all along.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

from:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/520gy4/look_i_found_the_washer/

where there is an interesting link:
https://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/sites/default/files/Garrett_White_Paper_02_Burst__Containment.pdf

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

"Finally we can say that the turbine housing must absorb the equivalent of (40,037 lb-ft) / (3,682 lb-ft) = 10.8 of these .350 Magnum bullets fired at point-blank range into the inside wall, from the center outwards (if that were physically possible to do)."

:stonklol:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is it Chump Truck that requires drivers to have shrapnel protection on their exhaust stacks for when they inevitably grenade their turbos?

Hank Killinger
Jul 13, 2008
I was entertained by this troubleshooting adventure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCYxyVzH7Po This guy is pretty thorough in describing his process for tracking down the problem.
I didn't know something so seemingly unrelated could stall a car. Turning on the wipers or even looking at them funny stalls the car

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

DethMarine21 posted:

And some kind of torch. A bit of heat can make a big difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GdPiVH5Hqk&t=700s

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i0g8vWeliI&t=162s

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

There's a job coming my way at the shop where they have to heat an inconel 7-18 ring up to 700°F and slide it over the end of a collar. Then I get to e-beam weld that bitch to a depth of 1.7 inches. No way that fucker's coming off. I'm afraid my weld's gonna really gently caress up the datum features right next to where I'm welding just from the heat. I've seen Ti 6-4 move .120 over a length of 5 feet from me e-beam welding it. The metal pulls towards the spot where the beam first hits it, regardless of when the full depth of weld is reached. Metal is weird, yo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Not failures as such, but a bunch of poo poo gets broken in awesome ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfm4gvxNW_o

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's a glorious loving success.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God drat.

I love that that movie is a thing that happened in this world.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Data Graham posted:

God drat.

I love that that movie is a thing that happened in this world.

I love the fact that every single shot in that movie was heavily CGed and enhanced - and it was over shots of practical stunts. Best of both worlds.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Posted to JRITS as "trail rig":

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dagen H posted:

Posted to JRITS as "trail rig":

hahahaha oh my god the longer you look the worse it gets.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Looks like it needs more shocks

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

More shocks would be a good idea so when the bolts start snapping he's got some redundancy to help get back to the main road.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There was some show truck in the 80s that had a poo poo ton of shocks.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What is up with that seat belt strap.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

TotalLossBrain posted:

What is up with that seat belt strap.

That's really your only question?

(Limiting strap? Who knows on that thing.)

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

That's really your only question?

Yeah, I'm more interested in whatever the hell is going on on top of the diff. :psyduck:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nuevo posted:

Yeah, I'm more interested in whatever the hell is going on on top of the diff. :psyduck:

Doh, I was about to ask that question

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3