Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Didn't it translate to 3.5 in strip one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Rich said, I think somewhere on the forums, that V being a blasty wizard with the two most useful schools banned was a deliberate plot decision, because it brought them down (somewhat) from the overwhelming caster supremacy, and because "teleport anywhere, at any time" is a pretty difficult ability to plot around.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Poison Mushroom posted:

Rich said, I think somewhere on the forums, that V being a blasty wizard with the two most useful schools banned was a deliberate plot decision, because it brought them down (somewhat) from the overwhelming caster supremacy, and because "teleport anywhere, at any time" is a pretty difficult ability to plot around.

Wait, why would you choose to nix Necromancy instead of Divination if you wanted to remove story pitfalls?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Wait, why would you choose to nix Necromancy instead of Divination if you wanted to remove story pitfalls?

He specifically created an epic level spell to gently caress with divination for the sake of the story. He had an out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also, IIRC, you can't choose Divination as a banned school?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Also, IIRC, you can't choose Divination as a banned school?

I think it's that Divination only has to pick one banned school? But you're possibly right too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it's because every wizard has to know read magic.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

lmao, why isn't Read Magic Universal? Was Universal even a thing in 3.5?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

a wizard that doesn't know how to read magic: rincewind

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

also isn't one of the gimmicks of the order is that they're all PCs with really sub-optimal builds

like roy having an intelligence stat or belkar being a ranger at all

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Glory of Arioch posted:

also isn't one of the gimmicks of the order is that they're all PCs with really sub-optimal builds

To be fair to Roy "two-handed Power Attacker" is about the best you can do with a pure Fighter without getting into funky prestige class builds.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
except for elan yeah

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

jsoh posted:

except for elan yeah

Yep, Elan is surprisingly the most optimized character of the bunch (though that's mainly due to having a broken splatbook prestige class).

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Zonekeeper posted:

Yep, Elan is surprisingly the most optimized character of the bunch (though that's mainly due to having a broken splatbook prestige class).

He also seems pretty good as just a bard. Which makes sense considering if there's anything Elam knows it's how to be a bard.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Glory of Arioch posted:

Roy supposedly has really good stats all around.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Taerkar posted:

Roy supposedly has really good stats all around.
Yeah, I think the deva who was judging him actually asked him why he wasn't a Cleric, since he had decent Wisdom and Charisma scores.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Roy's the nice guy experienced D&D player who rolled good stats for everything and then made a fighter so he wouldn't overshadow the party.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yeah, I think the deva who was judging him actually asked him why he wasn't a Cleric, since he had decent Wisdom and Charisma scores.

I think his charisma's probably okay but middling - as is evident in his personality. I do like how their stats are actually depicted in their personalities and interactions.

Elan's natural 20 charisma excepted.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MikeJF posted:

I think his charisma's probably okay but middling - as is evident in his personality. I do like how their stats are actually depicted in their personalities and interactions.

Elan's natural 20 charisma excepted.
He's just charmingly inept enough that people put up with the 'inept' part.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Evoker in purely the Player Hand Book is actually legitimately a powerful class; the problem is when you add in Complete Mage, Magic Compedium, etc, another 400 spells really dampen its power and utility.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Raenir Salazar posted:

Evoker in purely the Player Hand Book is actually legitimately a powerful class; the problem is when you add in Complete Mage, Magic Compedium, etc, another 400 spells really dampen its power and utility.

"Here are conjuration spells that conjure elemental energies, so they do the same damage as evocation spells, except the energy once conjured is really there so there's no spell resistance so it's better than evocation."

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Even in the base PHB you'll get a lot of mileage out of Conjuration (summoning) and Transmutation (enhancement). Much of what V has cast since their epiphany are PHB spells, with some metamagic. Blasting is really only what best use when you've got the right damage types and reasonable odds your save DC is high enough that your targets will probably take damage.

Orb of XXX spells were such bs. The attack roll part was interesting, but it kind of undermined the school classification, hah

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 13, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah even in only vanilla core D&D 3.5 Evoker isn't as powerful/broken as Conjuration (Though I think barring Necromancy is usually not The Worst decision) but the point is before you go into the other books Evoker isn't a terrible or inoptimal choice because THE HAND spells, Force Cage, Contingency!!!!!! are all viably powerful to put into that extra slot specializing gets you.

But once you do go into the splat books that start really adding spells then you get the problem of like, making even succeeding illusion saves makes you burn for half damage etc and other broken cheese.

My favourite semi-justifiable option is the Specialized Focused Conjuror who gets the free Int Modifier Times a Day 10' teleport because whenever I know I have a dick DM I can just Shunpo to safety BECAUSE ITS A FREE ACTION!

And then you have things like Icantatrix or Master of the Seven Veils or whatever its called with the free action barriers to anything ever.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Raenir Salazar posted:

But once you do go into the splat books that start really adding spells then you get the problem of like, making even succeeding illusion saves makes you burn for half damage etc and other broken cheese.

It's in the Murphy thread somewhere but if you stack enough modifiers on that shadow illusion nonsense you can actually end up doing more damage if they save.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Taciturn Tactician posted:

It's in the Murphy thread somewhere but if you stack enough modifiers on that shadow illusion nonsense you can actually end up doing more damage if they save.

Yeah basically the person goes "Wait a second. That spell caster is an Illusionist. So that fireball he is throwing at me will safely pass through me."

Then they get hit in the face by an illusionary fireball with part shadow magic and it hurts even more because you weren't prepped for it.

Illusion is such a great magic school.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah basically the person goes "Wait a second. That spell caster is an Illusionist. So that fireball he is throwing at me will safely pass through me."

Then they get hit in the face by an illusionary fireball with part shadow magic and it hurts even more because you weren't prepped for it.

Illusion is such a great magic school.

Which splatbooks were these?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Which splatbooks were these?

Bad ones

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So... all of them?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Who What Now posted:

So... all of them?

I feel like the Book of Nine Swords was good via Negative integer Overflow

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Who What Now posted:

So... all of them?

Honestly, most of the splatbooks were better than the core rule books.

People claim the splats were broken but uh, the core rules by themselves had 3/5 of the most powerful classes in the game and a huge chunk of the worst (monks, Fighters, Rangers, Barbarians). Also the most powerful feat (Druids can cast spells in wildshape) and poo poo like Toughness (+3 hp).

If you throw out the PHB except for like Rogues, Barbarians and Bards and throw in all the splatbooks in existence you get a pretty grounded and decent game.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

I feel like the Book of Nine Swords was good via Negative integer Overflow

Still my favorite 3.5 book, and I'm so glad 5th decided to integrate maneuvers as an option when making Fighters.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zore posted:

I was joking.

And I'd still like to know what the build is that makes blaster-illusionists.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Who What Now posted:

I was joking.

And I'd still like to know what the build is that makes blaster-illusionists.

A very ill thought-out class feature for Shadowcraft Mages from Races of Stone.

[Races of Stone]: Shadow Illusion (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a shadowcraft mage is able to
infuse some of his figments (see the list below) with material from the Plane
of Shadow, making them partially real. The subschool of these spells changes
from figment to shadow. A shadowcraft mage can use the altered spell to
mimic any sorcerer or wizard conjuration (summoning), conjuration (creation),
or evocation spell at least one level lower than the illusion spell. The
altered spell functions identically to the shadow conjuration or shadow
evocation spell, except that the spell's strength equals 10% per level of
the figment spell used.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Zonekeeper posted:

Still my favorite 3.5 book, and I'm so glad 5th decided to integrate maneuvers as an option when making Fighters.

I liked it, I just felt that it outright designed for a different game, hah

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

So far as I recall it got even worse with:
  • Metamagic shenanigans with Heighten Spell such that you got an effectively free spell level or two.
  • Shadowcraft Mage (only five levels long) also has the capstone feature of Powerful Shadow Magic, which gives +20% to the "realness" of such shadow-typed effects.
  • Shadowcrafter (ten levels long, from Underdark) gives +10% -> +20% to shadow conjurations and evocations, which Shadow Illusion explicitly mimics.
The goofy result was that any targets would potentially be affected more greatly if they succeeded on a saving throw than if they failed, to the tune of perhaps 150% realness at maximum.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Once I found out about the metamagic Invisible Spell, no extra cost and makes the effect invisible, I've always wanted to combine it with the grease spell and a staircase.

There sure are some great feats in dnd:

quote:

Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu
( Sandstorm, p. 49)

[General]

Tem-Et-Nu has marked you as having an important destiny in her temple.

Prerequisite
must have defeated a hippopotamus in single combat, Patron deity Tem-Et-Nu,

Benefit
Hippopotami cannot attack you unless they are magically compelled. In addition, if you possess the turn or rebuke undead class feature, you can rebuke and command hippopotami as an evil cleric rebukes or commands undead. You gain a +2 sacred bonus to your Armor Class against chaotic-aligned creatures with the fire subtype. Cleric is now an additional favored class for you; the cleric class does not count when determining whether you take an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Special
Your aura radiates law with a strength equal to your character level (see detect law, page 219 of the Player's Handbook). If you ever lose favor with Tem-Et-Nu, or change your patron deity to another deity, you lose all benefits of this feat and take damage as if you were bitten by a hippopotamus. You do not gain a replacement feat. If you later return to Tem-Et-Nu's faithful and receive an atonement spell, you regain the benefit of this feat.
Tell me this isn't the best feat. :allears:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Poil posted:

Once I found out about the metamagic Invisible Spell, no extra cost and makes the effect invisible, I've always wanted to combine it with the grease spell and a staircase.

There sure are some great feats in dnd:

Tell me this isn't the best feat. :allears:

And yet it mentions no benefits wrt Giff. This is bullshit.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

quote:

Hippo Blood (Ex): For all effects related to hippopotami, a giff is considered a hippopotamus. Giff, for example, are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect hippopotami as their hippopotamus ancestors are, and they can use magic items that are only usable by hippopotami.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zore posted:

People claim the splats were broken but uh, the core rules by themselves had 3/5 of the most powerful classes in the game and a huge chunk of the worst (monks, Fighters, Rangers, Barbarians). Also the most powerful feat (Druids can cast spells in wildshape) and poo poo like Toughness (+3 hp).

If you throw out the PHB except for like Rogues, Barbarians and Bards and throw in all the splatbooks in existence you get a pretty grounded and decent game.

I feel like the terrible ones like Toughness were meant to be factored in by your DM for other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

quote:

magic items that are only usable by hippopotami

Does this come up often?