Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I don't mind the idea of paying 10 bux a year to the overcast guy because the app is very good and polished. The audio boost and smart speed are fantastic. I used downcast for years before switching a few weeks ago and I can't go back. Volume boost makes it so much easier for me to listen in my car and the ads don't really change anything regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Is there an app that will automatically silence my phone during events on my calendar but leave it unsilenced otherwise?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

tuyop posted:

I'm not sure? The features are secondary for me anyway. I hate ads much more than I hate spending a dollar a month so I paid.
Yeah, ads are an absolute deal breaker for me, even as tastefully done as this.

If he had a $3-5/year option for just removing ads without the "premium" features I would have done that. But $10/year hit a weird psychological barrier I guess.

virinvictus posted:

Didn't Pocket Casts get smart speed and volume boost in their 6.0 update?

Yeah, I went ahead and bought PocketCasts to try it out. I haven't used it much yet but it does have these features. I think I still prefer the layout of Overcast but PocketCasts has been Fine so far. And it has Google Cast support which is actually is a feature I could use.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I used Pocket Casts back when I was on Android and it was great. Only switched to Overcast because it was "free" (although I did end up chipping in a couple bucks after using it).

As for the Overcast pricing I think the problem for me is that I just don't use it enough to justify $10/year. That is, basically once or twice a year I'll catch up on all my podcasts and then for the rest of the year I'll forget that they even exist.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dik-dik posted:

Is there an app that will automatically silence my phone during events on my calendar but leave it unsilenced otherwise?

Third party apps can't access this.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

dik-dik posted:

I opened a bug report/feature request with Apple for this the moment they introduced Do Not Disturb a few years ago. They responded that it's a duplicate and never did anything else.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
$10/year is less than a dollar a month. Just throwing that out there.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Legs Benedict posted:

$10/year is less than a dollar a month. Just throwing that out there.

Yeah for an app I use every day and to help a developer I actually like (I know some people here don't like Marco for whatever reason) it's a steal. I listen to podcasts probably more than I watch Netflix and that costs considerably more

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Marco a bitch but a deal's a deal.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is the MLB app crashing for anyone else post-iOS10 upgrade? I'd hate for it to be me but since it's been flawless till today I suspect it'll be commonplace and hopefully fixed soon.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Is the MLB app crashing for anyone else post-iOS10 upgrade? I'd hate for it to be me but since it's been flawless till today I suspect it'll be commonplace and hopefully fixed soon.

I know with past iOS updates, there have been some apps I've had to remove and re-add to my phone to get working.

I know that's the equivalent of "have you tried powering it off and on", but it might do the trick.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

flosofl posted:

I know with past iOS updates, there have been some apps I've had to remove and re-add to my phone to get working.

I know that's the equivalent of "have you tried powering it off and on", but it might do the trick.

You know, that's actually not a bad suggestion. Can't hurt. Worst case it clears out whatever cache it had.

e: Nope, still crashing after reinstall. Guess I'll just wait for the inevitable update. Was worth a try.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 14, 2016

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'd pay $10 for overcast but not as a subscription. I'm hoping I can just avoid updating for a while or maybe check out pocketcast or whatever it's called.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a news aggregator? The ios9 news app was one of the three most used apps for me but the new version is loving horrible.

I'm really pissed at myself for not backing up before upgrading. I'd be willing to downgrade to 9 but like an idiot I just mashed update.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I just don't like buying an App from Marco then having him change the pricing arrangement. I'm happy I have no ads with Overcast but if I don't feel i should have to put money into it in the future.

I also recommended it to a bunch of people being free. Now I kinda wish i hadn't.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a news aggregator? The ios9 news app was one of the three most used apps for me but the new version is loving horrible.

I'm really pissed at myself for not backing up before upgrading. I'd be willing to downgrade to 9 but like an idiot I just mashed update.

Nuzzel is ok

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

dik-dik posted:

Nuzzel is ok

How reliant is it on twitter? I don't have a twitter account.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

hadji murad posted:

I just don't like buying an App from Marco then having him change the pricing arrangement. I'm happy I have no ads with Overcast but if I don't feel i should have to put money into it in the future.

I also recommended it to a bunch of people being free. Now I kinda wish i hadn't.

Marco has a history of abandoning or fundamentally changing his projects. See Instapaper and The Magazine. I just treat stuff he makes as available as presented for about two or three years.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cyrano4747 posted:

I honestly thought when I had to go back to iOS 9, that the worst part about it was going back to the old news app. I like the new one so much more, personally.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

hadji murad posted:

Just don't update Overcast?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Is there any way to curate what news outlets are shown in the News widget? The German News app isn't even available but they still show terrible tabloid rags when you swipe right on the lock screen. I actually like the news widget, I just don't want National Enquirer level stuff or click bait. Man. :saddowns:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else have trouble getting iMessage apps to work? The Yelp and OpenTable apps just sit there with their logos for me and never go anywhere (iPhone 6).

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Zwille posted:

Is there any way to curate what news outlets are shown in the News widget? The German News app isn't even available but they still show terrible tabloid rags when you swipe right on the lock screen. I actually like the news widget, I just don't want National Enquirer level stuff or click bait. Man. :saddowns:

Changing your favorites in the app should change this.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Dugong posted:

Changing your favorites in the app should change this.
it doesn't seem to do this for me, or at least "Top News Stories" seems to take maximum precedence.

Looking at the news app now, one of the top stories in "For You" from a tabloid I don't subscribe to about a singer's plastic surgery. Most of what I tried subscribing to were tech blogs.

Actually, is there any way to customise "For You"? Most of these categories aren't stuff I'm ever gonna be reading about so I'd like to push the relevant stuff to the top.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

it doesn't seem to do this for me, or at least "Top News Stories" seems to take maximum precedence.

Looking at the news app now, one of the top stories in "For You" from a tabloid I don't subscribe to about a singer's plastic surgery. Most of what I tried subscribing to were tech blogs.

Actually, is there any way to customise "For You"? Most of these categories aren't stuff I'm ever gonna be reading about so I'd like to push the relevant stuff to the top.

Nope, at least not that I've been able to find and I looked all around for this. The "Trending stories" and "top stories" that it insists on throwing at you isn't really something you can twiddle with.

edit: Plus I really ,really preferred the old chronological view rather than grouping it into categories.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nope, at least not that I've been able to find and I looked all around for this. The "Trending stories" and "top stories" that it insists on throwing at you isn't really something you can twiddle with.

edit: Plus I really ,really preferred the old chronological view rather than grouping it into categories.
That's a shame. I'm quite happy for Apple to build some big sinister profile on my interests if it makes their news aggregation better for me. Less celebrity and film news and more rumours on the next iPhone's big feature based on a patent that Steve Jobs' third-cousin failed to successfully apply in 1993 please.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That's a shame. I'm quite happy for Apple to build some big sinister profile on my interests if it makes their news aggregation better for me. Less celebrity and film news and more rumours on the next iPhone's big feature based on a patent that Steve Jobs' third-cousin failed to successfully apply in 1993 please.

The straw that broke the camels back was when it would not stop bumping some story about Kim kardashians newest emoji to the top.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

The thing is, German iOS doesn't even have the news app, even though the widget works and just sends you to the web pages. So no changing preferences or anything. Oh well.

Speaking of iOS stuff not available in Germany, how much longer is it gonna take until Apple Pay is supported for German cards? :mad:

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

I thought I read somewhere that the News app'll try to learn your taste based on what you actually tap on and read but I dunno if that's just my memory playing tricks.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Zwille posted:

The thing is, German iOS doesn't even have the news app, even though the widget works and just sends you to the web pages. So no changing preferences or anything. Oh well.

Speaking of iOS stuff not available in Germany, how much longer is it gonna take until Apple Pay is supported for German cards? :mad:

No one cares about Germany.

eames
May 9, 2009

Is there a way to access this menu on an iPhone 6?

(pic by macrumors.com)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

eames posted:

Is there a way to access this menu on an iPhone 6?

(pic by macrumors.com)

I'm pretty sure tapping the icon does the same thing.

eames
May 9, 2009

Kazy posted:

I'm pretty sure tapping the icon does the same thing.

Indeed it does. There is no feedback, visual or otherwise, but tapping an app icon seems to put it to the front of the download-queue. Thanks!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Some of the "Go" games (e.g. Lara Croft, Hitman) are on sale for $0.99 today in the App Store. I only mention this because I've been meaning to try Lara Croft Go for a while, but as someone who does virtually no gaming on a phone, wasn't curious enough at the $5 price point. Surely there's someone else out there who's equally as stingy.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
So CloudMagic just changed its name to Newton and went from free to $50/yr.

I can't sync my Outlook email with Mail.app due to my company's ridiculous policy of requiring AirWatch, which I refuse to download. CloudMagic was an easy way to get around this requirement. Is there another simple, free inbox app for Outlook?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

enojy posted:

Some of the "Go" games (e.g. Lara Croft, Hitman) are on sale for $0.99 today in the App Store. I only mention this because I've been meaning to try Lara Croft Go for a while, but as someone who does virtually no gaming on a phone, wasn't curious enough at the $5 price point. Surely there's someone else out there who's equally as stingy.

Lara Croft Go is really really good. It was easily worth five dollars so clearly it's five times as good of a deal now.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The bundle is 99 cents too making the games 50 cents each.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

The bundle shows like I already have it, but I only have bought Hitman Go a while back. Seems like Lara Croft Go is free in the bundle if you already have Hitman. If it's not, eh, 99 cents.

Also it won't allow me to load the Hitman bundle with the sniper game now because I already used Hitman Go with the Go bundle. Funny.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
iOS 10 allows app devs to create extensions for the phone app using CallKit. Seems pretty cool. I found this app Truecaller that claims that they are working on an update to their existing app that will hook in to phone.app to do caller id. https://blog.truecaller.com/2016/09/07/truecaller-and-ios-10-bring-spam-identification-to-the-masses/ Is anyone aware of any other apps that will utilize callkit in a cool way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Economic Sinkhole posted:

iOS 10 allows app devs to create extensions for the phone app using CallKit. Seems pretty cool. I found this app Truecaller that claims that they are working on an update to their existing app that will hook in to phone.app to do caller id. https://blog.truecaller.com/2016/09/07/truecaller-and-ios-10-bring-spam-identification-to-the-masses/ Is anyone aware of any other apps that will utilize callkit in a cool way?

That's awesome! (although, for me, pretty redundant, since I never get phone calls from anyone other than spam callers :smith: )

E: this app is awesome. Even without CallKit it imports their list of spammers as a contact called Identified As Spam and adds it to your block list.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 15, 2016