Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Maybe s/he traded that gear for a sandwich?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bufuman posted:

Clearly, Quina is wearing some sort of gear that resists water.

(Unfortunately, there's no gear that Quina can get at this point that nulls or absorbs water, so my joke falls flat here :eng99:)

Maybe not null, but both the Headgear and the Glass Armlet resist Water, so just pretend Quina ate a bunch of them or something.

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk

Fister Roboto posted:

So a bunch of artificially created people with a limited life span are following a psychopath on his trail of destruction. Where have I heard this before?

But they have to avert the Score!

Also, something something fonons.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm still wondering how Tot manages to say "!!!?".

Probably just a very shocked gasp, the same way "..." can represent small sighs or grunts or similar wordless sounds in dialogue.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Whatever Quina has, too bad Aeris, Tellah and Galuf didn't have any.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

So... <gwok> is there any hope for me?
...I'm sorry, sire. We must find the person who cast the spell to reverse the effect.
Dammit...

Is this true!?
Yes. However, I don't know if it is a reliable source. The book had a rather comical tone.
Is there a chance that I could die from it?
I doubt it will be lethal, sire. We will simply mix three ingredients and apply the formula to your body.
Let's just try it.
<Gwok!> That's easy for you to say.
What are the three ingredients?

Oh... Magicians of early times often used those potions. They were all fairly common in the old times.
Yes. I expected the ingredients to such a powerful cure to be more exotic, too. But as you mentioned, they are no longer popular, so I do not know if we can find them.

I'll take care of this. I'm gonna go downtown and look for the ingredients.

This update's gonna be short and simple. Zidane's off searching for three potions that may or may not turn Cid back into a human. This will also double as a chance to catch up on the townspeople of Lindblum since our last visit.

And a couple ATE's as well.

drat. I hate heights.

Let's see... Hold on. I'm gonna have to go find one.
Just let me borrow yours.
What!?

Oh, come on.
No! No one touches my hammer but me!
Fine... But I still need something to drive in these nails.

So Cinna's really touchy about his hammer. Alright, then.

No going back to Cid until we get our job done. The rest of the party has also all mysteriously disappeared, nobody in the conference or guest rooms.

Anyway, to recap, Cid is the only person who knows how to build an airship that can fly without Mist. We kind of need one of those now that the Mist is gone and Kuja is likely on another continent altogether. However, he can't do this as an oglop due to his transformation messing with his mind. So the only way to fix this is either find his estranged wife or mix up these potions from a joke book and hope for the best.

All three potions can be found in Lindblum. Note that the Industrial District is still out of commission.

First, the Business District. With all NPCs here, we have two options now. The former asks for clues about where the potions are, the latter is just general NPC dialogue. I'll do Potion Dialogue first and then a separate line for regular dialogue.

With the Industrial Industry destroyed, we have a great opportunity to develop new technology. So who gives a drat about potions?
With the Industrial District destroyed, this is a great opportunity to develop new technology. Work with me!

We'll start with four NPCs here.

My grandmother once told me that there was a potion collector who used to live in a studio in the Theater District.
I wonder if there's anything I can do to help...?

I can't believe our beautiful city has been so thoroughly destroyed... But we shall prevail! We're going to make our city even greater than before!

People still use that stuff? I know they used to use 'em in the old days.
The city's made a real comeback, don't you think?

I don't know much about potions.
I'm on my break. So, I decided to take a walk.

So we got a clue for one of the potions and a Star Trek reference. I'd consider that a good start!

We can't leave Lindblum at all during this section, by the way.

Also, Zidane has now stayed here enough times that he's now comfortable enough to leave a review. Hey, it's better than Lani's.

Time to chat up more souls.

Never heard of it. Maybe my sister knows.
Mmm, I love the smell of pickles!

I don't know. Ask my brother.

No way! You always cry so easily.

If I were to Let's Play Olivier, this is also how I would do it.

Sounds familiar, but I don't know.
The city is in ruins, but I feel better when I see Grandma Pickle.

Potions? I don't know. I don't put any potions on my pickles.
The city's been destroyed, but I'm gonna keep selling my pickles! My pickles are the best!

Can't you see we're working!?
The other way! To the right!

The reconstruction has opened access to a previously-unavailable Stellazzio.

Maybe I should become a bird freak...

I feel I'm slowly becoming a bird freak ever since I got a bird feeder and bath. Now I spend a surprising amount of time watching birds when I could be doing more important things like playing video games or posting half-assed sarcastic comments on the internet.

Life is weird.

Next up, the plaza. Harder to catch everyone in one screenshot here so I don't bother.

I don't know. I'm sorry.
I'm too busy to go home. I hope the boss will give me a vacation.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Why don't you ask Sis?
Zidane! I think Dragoos from the weapon shop is after my sister. I don't want my sister to marry a dud like him! Help me out!

I've never heard of this potion.
Check out the foundation of this building. It's the work of a master. I wanna do a top-notch job like this someday.

This guy I'm cheating with since there's no portrait of him. I think it's a dog person, kind of hard to tell from that angle but I found a model facing forward and it looks like a dog-man to me anyway.

The weapon store owner now sells items since there's no longer an item shop.

As for potions...

Here it is! You can have it. It's too old to sell anyway.

We've got our first potion!

All that's left to do is explore the shops and then head to the Theater District.

I'm sorry. I don't know.
Wow, there are so many different weapons. Maybe I'll buy one for my own protection.

I don't know anything about potions. Did you ask Alice?

Some new things for sale. Magic Racket teaches Dagger/Eiko Berserk, Mini, and Cure. Cypress Pile teaches Vivi Demi, Break, and Comet, plus has a 20% chance of inflicting Confuse with Add Status. For hats, the Mantra Band teaches Antibody and HP +20%, and the Dark Hat teaches High Tide and Jelly while nullifying ice damage.

I don't know. I'm just a blacksmith, after all. Ask Wayne. He might know.
I think Wayne is ready to take over this shop...

I've never heard of it. Sorry.

Nothing new for the Synthesis shop, but a good chance to do the Cotton Robe trick.

Anyway, we're done with the Business District. Hopefully both of the potions are in the Theater District.

I think it is.

How's it goin', buddy!?

Remember when Zidane encountered a wounded knight bickering with his pregnant wife over his inevitable death in Burmecia and Zidane pushed them away from a collapsing statue and saved both their asses? Looks like they made it to Lindblum after all.

Ah, it was nothing. I'm glad to see your husband's doing well.
Yeah, my leg's all healed, thanks to you. It was a struggle, but luckily, we were able to get here.
Some of our friends made it to Lindblum, too, but they said many people died on the way.
Geez...

While this conversation goes on, an ATE pops up.

I'm so happy to see you!
Likewise! I'm glad you all made it here.
Yes, it was a long trip, but somehow, we found our way here.

...Indeed.

Maybe it's for the best, I mean Burmecian Soldier Dan was a pretty big racist and all.

So, Freya, what are you going to do now?
I'm going after Kuja with Zidane and the rest of the party. And you?
We're going to regroup and embark on the reconstruction of Burmecia. Many of our comrades are still scattered all over the continent.

Oh...

Please take care of things 'til then.
Will do.
Good luck to you, too.
Thank you.

Freya's still got her home and her lost love at the back of her mind, now more than ever, but that will have to wait until she can make it a world where her kingdom could thrive once again.

-----

Oh, I forgot! I wanna show you something.
That's right, huh?
?

Oh. Oh wow.

Fun Fact: There is an actual timeline for FF9. According to it, the span between Zidane and co. reaching Burmecia and this scene is a mere 26 days. Wei was pregnant during the Burmecia cutscene, but wow. Rat people must procreate pretty quickly.

Who's this, Daddy?
He's my savior.
Oh...
What's a savior?
A savior...is a really important friend.
Oh...
I want a savior, too.
He looks cool.

Someday, we're gonna return to Burmecia.
Right now, we're trying to get everyone together.
It's gonna take a lot of time and effort to rebuild our home.
Can we go play now?
Sure.

Make sure you come visit us once we're finished.
Yes. After all, you are our savior.
I'll definitely be there.

If you didn't enter that side room and rescue this couple, they'd both be dead. It's pretty nice to be able to revisit this couple after saving their lives so long ago. Actions having consequences and blah blah blah.

I don't know anything about potions. I'm so sorry.
We have to rebuild Burmecia for those kids.

I've never heard of anything like that. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.
The city is still in ruins, but people are very energetic!

That said, none of them are very helpful for our current objective, though at least they're very sorry they can't help. It's the thought that counts.

This guy in particular never seems to care that you loot his stuff.

I've never heard of 'em. If you happen to find it in my studio, go ahead and take it.
You want to talk to me?

Turns out the Strange Potion is here. One to go, and this one we actually know where it is.

Zidane! Are you alright!?
I heard you got injured pretty bad!
You can walk. That's a good sign.
Yeah, looks like I'll live.
Have you talked to Blank?
Yeah, I saw him at the castle.
So what are you doing here? Just stopping by to say hi?
Actually, I came here for a favor.

Yeah.
Nice! Can I borrow it?
Yeah, sure. Hold on.

I don't know... I'm gonna think about it after things settle down.
It's boring without you.

We've seen how Zidane dealt with things in the start of Disc 3. He probably isn't sure what exactly what he wants to do after Kuja is defeated and the world saved, but we all know who he'll want to spend that time with.

Yep, Morrison.

(That's all of 'em. Finally, I can go back to the castle and see Cid.)
What are you gonna use it for?

Anyway, we're done.

Sounds like it may work, anyway.

Matoya is the name of a witch from FF1 and is another reference that pops up throughout the series. She's blind without her crystal though so maybe she's not the best source for this kind of magic...

Anyway, let's check in with the Tantalus crew before we go.

My back's starting to ache.
This is gonna be really tough to fix.
This is taking forever...

Finally, here's what getting all that coffee for Morrid nets us. This weird model that you can't interact with that just sits there for the rest of the game. Worth the trek from Treno to Dali!

Next time, we cure Cid. Maybe. Hopefully. Probably? Surely. ...Possibly.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
I think the text that comes up when you examine the fire at the Synthesis shop should be different now, one of my favorite touches is how it changes depending on the current state of Lindblum. That and the different inn reviews, and how Zidane finally adds his own. It's the little things.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I think rather than Wei popping a kid every 5 day or so, it's more likely that she was near the end of her pregnancy and had quintuplets. I turned to Google for a second on that issue:

Google posted:

The gestation period for rats is 19–22 days, for mice it is 17–21 days. Rats and mice average 8–12 babies in a litter, but can have as few as 1 or as many as 20. Rats are weaned at 6 weeks, mice at 5 weeks.

This would sufficiently explain the sheer number of kids (5 would be a reasonable middle ground for a race that's a mix of human and rat) and how quickly they grew.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Being a bird freak is a slippery slope. One moment you're flipping through a Sibley's guide at the mall, the next thing you know you're buying binoculars and talking about suet. From there it's a frighteningly short gap to trying to identify different kinds of seagulls, and arguing about warblers.

I have seen too many fall down this weird feathery path.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, she doesn't say "these are our kids that we just had a few weeks ago".

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The events at Brumecia take place on January 21st. It's February 11th.

FF9's canon timeline is weird. For example, the entire first disc takes place in less than a week.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's so cute when weeks old babies can walk and talk and understand games

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Plenty of mammals and birds and lizards and fish are born/hatched more or less fully-functional, maybe Burmacian babies aren't losers like humans are.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I didn't know he could write his own review. The more you know, I suppose.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It is nice that the cities go through this progression as you go through the game. Really makes it feel like events are actually affecting the whole world, you know?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They already had a bunch of kids and she's still pregnant this go round. Problem solved. :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The potion fetch quest always seemed really shoehorned in for some reason, like it was just an excuse to pile on a bunch of ATEs involving Freya and to catch up with the Tantalus crew.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

ApplesandOranges posted:

The potion fetch quest always seemed really shoehorned in for some reason, like it was just an excuse to pile on a bunch of ATEs involving Freya and to catch up with the Tantalus crew.

It really is. It's fairly blatant padding. I'm not a fan of it, but it's short so I can deal

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oh no, not more characterization in FFIX.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Not really. We already know Freya wants to rebuild Burmecia and misses Fratley.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
yeah but its nice to see her talk to fellow Burmecians and explain why she's still with Zidane to them
I'll take what I can get

also I dont mind fetchquests if they deliver minor development scenes like those

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ApplesandOranges posted:

It never feels so to me because this series of events follows the 'HOLY CRAP EVERYTHING HAPPENED EXPLOSIONS!?' moment, so it's a chance to chill out and cool down before beginning the next act.
It is busywork and padding but it's probably one of the best uses of it: giving you something to do while you figure out how the world is doing, catching up with all of the characters and finally showing Lindblum's restoration efforts (it's come quite a long way from how it was immediately after Brahne trashed it!)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's nice to see that Burmecia is possibly not all the way hosed, I'm rooting for you weird lil rat dudes :unsmith:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It'll be at least Friday until the next update but I just did screenshots for the next update (which actually encompasses the entirety of the rest of my lengthy gameplay session, surprisingly enough, and is still as short as this past update), but I couldn't help but show this off.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
:stare: I don't think I've ever run into that whale before.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Nor have I

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
This section of the game may be "padding" but it's there to be a breather after the events in Alexandria - and the reveal of Dagger's new malady. It also provides a good chance to have you wander around town and see some of the characters you met previously, providing a sense of continuity. It's not even that long - even if you have no idea who has them, there's not that many people in the town and they're easy enough to locate. Plus, it's a deliberate chance for you to refresh your gear, buy inventory, and hit up the synth shop while you're running around, so you're not having to go out of your way to do so.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

You basically have to go looking for those whales.

I wonder what Mr. Death is digging up there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MelvinBison posted:

:stare: I don't think I've ever run into that whale before.

I think Whale Zombie shows up in only one location.

There is at least one regular enemy variant of a Friendly Monster that I never saw in-game either. Some encounters are pretty rare.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think Whale Zombie shows up in only one location.

There is at least one regular enemy variant of a Friendly Monster that I never saw in-game either. Some encounters are pretty rare.

They aren't uncommon at all (they actually appear on a lot of beaches); it's just that they appear on beaches, and you never have a reason to run around on them if you're not on Choco. I mean really, how many of you remember running into an enemy on a beach when playing normally?

Hilariously, they're vulnerable to Death.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Somewhere, a Grand Dragon is shaking in fear and it doesn't know why.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
I do not like that whale's big yellow tombstone teeth slowly opening and closing forever

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Wait, you guys didn't know about those whales?

Where else do you get Lvl. 5 Death for Grand Dragon farming?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Wait, you guys didn't know about those whales?

Where else do you get Lvl. 5 Death for Grand Dragon farming?

Stroper or Dracozombies

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I remember those whales pretty well. They give 3 AP each and die to a single Coral Sword attack from steiner when he has Zombieslayer or Birdslayer active. Great for catching up all the party members you regained.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

morallyobjected posted:

Stroper or Dracozombies

Oh...that makes sense. I actually never revisited the Iifa Tree and Quina was too busy harassing the local fauna at the time.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mega64 posted:

It'll be at least Friday until the next update but I just did screenshots for the next update (which actually encompasses the entirety of the rest of my lengthy gameplay session, surprisingly enough, and is still as short as this past update), but I couldn't help but show this off.

I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME ZI-DANE
MYAH

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The whale is very important at level 1.

It's a very strange challenge run.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The whale is very important at level 1.

It's a very strange challenge run.

where do the bowl of petunias factor in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

FeyerbrandX posted:

where do the bowl of petunias factor in?

Phoenix had a very bad and cruel idea one day

• Locked thread