Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Case 4: We're leveraging the Judge's clown fetish I hate this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Take a trip to see a friend, accidentally cause a revolution. Thaaaaaaaaaaaat's Phoenix! *sitcom jingle*

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Take a trip to see a friend, accidentally cause a revolution. Thaaaaaaaaaaaat's Phoenix! *sitcom jingle*

Eh. There was already a revolution happening. Phoenix just sorta helped it along, and even then he wasn't the main force for it.

Also, case 5 spoilers. I was not expecting the Queen to be the prosecutor. Or have an immediate and incredibly evil image change within 10 seconds of getting on the bench. Seriously, wouldn't be surprised to see her turn someone into a toad or something, or at least decapitate a few heads with that fan of hers.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

(Whole game spoilers) Apollo may have been the one to finish it, but Phoenix absolutely got the ball rolling in a major way. Both of his cases were huge factors in pointing out just how lovely the DC Act was to the people at large. Until then, it had only been a rebellion. It was only fitting that he stood alongside Apollo at the end.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Momomo posted:

Case 2 was the best case in AA4, which I think says a lot about the quality of that game.

The first case would have been good, but it was a climax when there wasn't any buildup. Gavin being the culprit has absolutely no bite to it because we have no idea what kind of person he's supposed to be. It also has that whole part where Apollo literally uses forged evidence that is never mentioned again which was real lovely.

If you look over how the whole deal went down it does, technically, not count as "false evidence"... because the court never accepts it as evidence. The Judge asks Apollo to provide a new possibility, Apollo presents the card, the Judge flips out and asks "Is this the card that was taken from the crime scene?!" and Gavin says "No that's impossible" and Phoenix immediately jumps in with "yeah but only the true culprit would know that" which is what he needs to draw attention to the fact that Gavin couldn't have stood where he claimed.

It is a dick move to Apollo but Phoenix never allows it to become evidence, just a possibility, a bluff.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Still case 5. Ga'ran is literally changing the law on the fly, what the Hell!!!?? This is nuts.

Also, heck yeah Rayfa! Tell your Mother what for.

Edit: I can't believe Inga having trouble remembering or recognising Phoenix was foreshadowing for this case. This is getting really good.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 13, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Case 5 is a loving rollercoaster, holy poo poo. Dhurke is loving dead. He's been loving dead since before the whole case even started.

This is a very good videogame.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Terper posted:

If you look over how the whole deal went down it does, technically, not count as "false evidence"... because the court never accepts it as evidence. The Judge asks Apollo to provide a new possibility, Apollo presents the card, the Judge flips out and asks "Is this the card that was taken from the crime scene?!" and Gavin says "No that's impossible" and Phoenix immediately jumps in with "yeah but only the true culprit would know that" which is what he needs to draw attention to the fact that Gavin couldn't have stood where he claimed.

It is a dick move to Apollo but Phoenix never allows it to become evidence, just a possibility, a bluff.

Yeah it's pretty cool because it's insurance to put Kristoph in a no-win situation. Plus Kristoph is so fond of forged evidence anyway.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Case 5 is a loving rollercoaster, holy poo poo. Dhurke is loving dead. He's been loving dead since before the whole case even started.

This is a very good videogame.

The case is literally (case 5 spoilers) this, bit for bit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Did Amara just loving die as well??!?!?. What in the world is this goddamn case?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Late Case 3: the goddamn Steel Samurai becomes a turning point in a case once again, this is why I love Ace Attorney

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cas 4 is single handedly being saved by Simon Blackquill. This case sucks except for him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Case 5 day 2 sure was one hell of a ride. Since it was a 1 day trial it was easily the most condensed and dramatic case in the series. Every testimony had a truth bomb or insane twist or two. It was crazy.

The Queen is actually an undefeated super prosecutor who can change the law to suit her whims and aid her prosecution!!!
Rayfa's random attendant is actually the former Queen, Dhurke's wife, who supposedly died 23 years ago!!!
Dhurke is actually loving dead and Maya's been channeling him for the entire case!!! Seriously, the player never even interacts with him while he's alive!!
Rayfa's real Mom and Dad are actually Amara and Dhurke and Amara's been working with Ga'ran partially for Rayfa's safety!
Nahyuta is only such a huge rear end in a top hat because the Queen is using Rayfa as a hostage!
Ga'ran literally just loving shoots her sister while she's on the goddamn stand!!!!
Apollo's real Dad who has no loving relevance due to being dead for 23 years is the secret key piece of evidence which solves the entire case!!!
Ga'ran just brands the gang terrorists surrounds them with guns and almost publicly executes them!!!
Apollo manages to dethrone the Queen before even convicting her with murder through one well-placed argument that also causes her to lose her mind and go insane!!!!

And probably some more stuff as well. Honestly, it might be my new favourite case in the series. I might have to sit on the ending some more before I give my thoughts on it but man, this game was really freaking good. Deserves a place among the best AA has to offer.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

That's the weird thing about this game (whole game spoiler): No trial ever officially goes for longer than a day. No complaints, really, just weird.

One thing I like is they made way better use of being in 3D this time, with the Divination Dance and a bunch of other, more spoilery things that had unique camera angles and played on the physicality of the courtroom.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

That's the weird thing about this game (whole game spoiler): No trial ever officially goes for longer than a day. No complaints, really, just weird.

Doesn't case 3?

Either way, I'd rather than than AA1-3 and 1-5.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

Doesn't case 3?

No, the verdict gets passed on Day 1. It's just the solution to the Day 2 trial ends up overturning Day 1.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, Case 3 was extended not because there was still doubt that you were guilty, but because you might be even more guilty than previously imagined. I thought it was an amusing variation of the classic 2 day trial twist.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Case 5

Dhurke owns so much. Dhurke, Datz and Dick (Gumshoe) game when???

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Finished AA6. I love this game series. I've now played AA1-6, and investigations 1 - all upon their localized releases. What other games did I miss fan translations of?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

AAI2 is very good and had a suprisingly high quality fan translation patch. The game set in the past, DGS is getting one but it's by a group that doesn't localize anything on principle so it will probably be worse.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ilifinicus posted:

Finished AA6. I love this game series. I've now played AA1-6, and investigations 1 - all upon their localized releases. What other games did I miss fan translations of?

Investigations 2 has a very good fan translation, it's a superb game too.

Case 5

Paul Atishon is extremely annoying. Excellent portrayal of a politician.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Investigations 2 has a very good fan translation, it's a superb game too.

Case 5

Paul Atishon is extremely annoying. Excellent portrayal of a politician.

Nah, he's just an excellent portrayal of a paul atishon

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

case 5

did you also know that paul atishon's name plaque thing is vertical in the original game

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Case 5

Therapy on a toy attack helicopter? Hell yeaaaa

e:

same case

This is an amazing therapy holy poo poo

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 13, 2016

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Oh my god Case 5 Day 2: "If you would kindly detach your dog from my cravat." This is a good AA game y'all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Case 5: DHURKE NO THAT'S A BAD SHIP

Selfsame: WE'RE GOING TO KURAIN!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 13, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Case 5:

There's like one person in this entire game so far that hasn't got a reaction to being shown the Attorney's Badge other than people you would expect to shun it and it's goddamn Edgeworth. C'mon Capcom. At least he references my boy Gummy in the text

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man y'all are way ahead of me, I'm still on Case 3. :(

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Case 5 Day 2, late investigation: Have we learned nothing from Von Karma? Why am I showing the queen the photo? I going to lose it! Or all my evidence!

Ugh!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I finished Case 4. My verdict is...

it was good!!! and also uendo is a pretty clever career man given that he found himself a profession where his being multiple people is a legit point in his favor. ganbare uendo-kun and patches-kun and owen-kun and kisegawa-san. noodles

also I started Case 5 and I laughed for at least 10 seconds straight when Dhurke just farts into the office like it's no big deal

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Raxivace posted:

Man y'all are way ahead of me, I'm still on Case 3. :(

I'm jealous of you because this game is SO good and I want to experience it for the first time again. :(

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
case 5 so far:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Case 5 Day 2, late investigation: Have we learned nothing from Von Karma? Why am I showing the queen the photo? I going to lose it! Or all my evidence!

Ugh!

Luckily, somehow Von Karma has managed to actually be the most competent bad guy in the series ever, as the only one to actually manage to do something to hinder our heroes outside of the courtroom.

... Wellington doesn't count.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Luckily, somehow Von Karma has managed to actually be the most competent bad guy in the series ever, as the only one to actually manage to do something to hinder our heroes outside of the courtroom.

... Wellington doesn't count.

Ga'ran was literally a few seconds away from murdering everyone while court was still in session so you've got to give her credit for that!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Case 5 Day 1 Inv: Yay Pearl!

Same: gently caress I FORGOT ABOUT THIS FROM THE TRAILERS. NICK NO.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 14, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Massive Case 5 day 2 Trial spoilers: .....not again Capcom.

I knew one day being a Megaman fan was going to ruin something for me.

And I had almost been crying too.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
case 5 day 1 investigation end: OH drat OH drat POLLY VS NICK I'M GONNA KICK NICK'S rear end IN COURT OVER THE HOLY B-BALL LET's FUCKIN DO IT YEA

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
me rn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZslldczL5FM

but also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6MlaIe1ljs

and also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yHUSkyslMQ

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I know how you feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Case 4: Athena's new theme :swoon: This case makes perfect sense in terms of the narrative, as jumping to the big climactic moment that I'm sure is coming in Case 5 coming off Case 3's extreme downer ending would have been way too much. gotta let these things breath for a second, the murder at the rakugo theater makes sense. it also touches on theme of succession that the game is clearly focusing on