Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So now that CCNA R&S and CCNA Data Center are behind me it is time to move on to CCNP R&S.

For those that have undergone this portion, what was your preferred order? I am thinking SWITCH, ROUTE, then TSHOOT.

I am looking at these materials for Switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Chris-Bryants-SWITCH-300-115-Success/dp/1517351227/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473168855&sr=8-2&keywords=300-115

https://www.amazon.com/Routing-Switching-SWITCH-300-115-Official/dp/1587205602/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473168855&sr=8-1&keywords=300-115

And Chris Bryants CCNP Video module on Udemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MrBigglesworth posted:

For those that have undergone this portion, what was your preferred order? I am thinking SWITCH, ROUTE, then TSHOOT.

I personally haven't even started considering it yet, but I have friends and coworkers who are currently going for it right now and that's the order they're doing it.

Last I asked them, two are still stuck on TSHOOT. Makes sense, to leave the hardest for last.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I thought I'd heard that TSHOOT was the easiest? Like, people regularly getting perfect scores on it.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

My CCENT expired. I previously used the CBT nuggets videos to pass but they havent released the CCENT V3 videos yet. Will I be able to pass the exam going off the V2 videos or should I wait?

I'm not sure how much they've added.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

rafikki posted:

I thought I'd heard that TSHOOT was the easiest? Like, people regularly getting perfect scores on it.

During the previous version it was. They may have made it more difficult in the new version.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I finished my A+ not too long ago and am moving on to studying for the N10-006. I've been using Sybex study guides and liked the test battery that their A+ book came with. The online only abortion for the N+ is infuriating though. The book is helpful but man this is going to be tedious.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Did not pass 640-911 today

I have never had the displeasure of taking such a poorly written test from a vendor. Even with all the study guides and browsing the Cisco forums there were still items in the test that I'm going to be digging to see if its in the books because they weren't in the blueprint at all.

All my practice tests I was getting above 95% just fine. I wrote over 500 questions on quizlet going over the material for other self testing

Had a question that was along the lines of choose X number of valid IP addresses from the below list. It wanted you to select X but there were actually Y that were correct. All the subnets were in valid private ranges. So either they meant to add more to the question wording or they gave Y valid options and if you choose any of them to get to the number X you'd still be fine. Yes I'm trying to be vague to not give the exact wording of the question for NDA items but come on Cisco. CCNA R+S was 30x better written when I did those two exams

I had no simlets where I actually configured anything. Blueprint for this test was way off even after they revised it. Thanks Cisco for stealing money from your loyalists. And a hearty gently caress you in return.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

How useful is the Sec+ for someone who doesn't really have any professional IT experience yet? I'm A+ certified. I've thought about taking the Net+ but if I'm going to be spending 300 bucks on a cert I'd rather it be something a bit more useful (unlike the aforementioned A+). My only real exp. is a 6 month stint as comcast phone support which I hated so much I went back to being a retail manager. I never want to be phone support again, but I still want to get into IT.

I'm assuming the sy0-401 version of the book linked in the OP would be the suggested study material?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
S+ is not useful at all, it's a DoD requirement and an OK way to pad your resume for post- help desk jobs. You won't learn anything that you'll actually use. N+ is harder and more informative for IT jobs.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I wish there was an easier way to get a security clearance.. I'd love to work in that industry.

Please don't black bag me NSA

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

S+ is not useful at all, it's a DoD requirement and an OK way to pad your resume for post- help desk jobs. You won't learn anything that you'll actually use. N+ is harder and more informative for IT jobs.

This, except for your last sentence. I don't give a poo poo if someone has a N+ when I'm looking at a resume. S+ covers the actual important N+ material and more. Get the CCENT instead, because at least the CCENT is a stepping stone to the CCNA.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

psydude posted:

This, except for your last sentence. I don't give a poo poo if someone has a N+ when I'm looking at a resume. S+ covers the actual important N+ material and more. Get the CCENT instead, because at least the CCENT is a stepping stone to the CCNA.

Your statement is really tempting me to drop the N+ and knock out the S+ quickly instead. Given that even CompTIA seems to only give a poo poo about S+, I'm beginning to wonder why I even did the A+. It's ridiculous considering that the S+ book is like half the size of the N+ and still smaller than the A+. I know the general sentiment here is that third party certs aren't worth much but since I already have years of relevant experience I figure it'll be a small stepping stone on the way to CCENT/MCSA. The N+ is just a big giant mess of bullshit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm kind of in the minority that I'm glad I got my A+ back in the day.

Sure the cert itself hasn't been very useful, but in studying for my A+ I still learned a lot of little things that filled in gaps in my knowledge. All my experience with computers before that was from being "the neighborhood kid good with computers" so it gave me a solid baseline to start off with and move on.

Though I don't deny that there was a lot of useless bullshit on it as well.

Sec+ was laughable and I can count the number of actual useful things I learned on one hand.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
N+ is to the CCENT what CCENT is to CCNA.

If you have no idea how networking works (like I did 4 years ago when I first started in this career, my knowledge was basically "plug wrt54g router into modem -> get internet") the N+ is a good place to start because it's faster than the CCENT. But if you have any IT experience at all you should probably not bother, the CCENT obsoletes the N+ on your resume.

S+ is just a shiny $300 "good job!" sticker on your resume.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
All right, thanks for the heads up. When I was still enlisted they were forcing S+ studying on everyone but I got out before they made the test mandatory. Every contracting job that I was offered during that time required the S+ though. I definitely have IT experience so I'll shitcan the N+ and get my shiny gold security star before tearing into the CCENT.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I got an email this morning to take an assessment for the new Cisco cyberops cert scholarship program. 30 multiple choice questions, some of them rather poorly written but easy enough. 28/30 on it. We'll see what happens next.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
How difficult would the S+ be for someone who not that familiar with networking (took one class in college 5+ years ago).

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Mouse Cadet posted:

How difficult would the S+ be for someone who not that familiar with networking (took one class in college 5+ years ago).

It's fine. I took S+ with no knowledge of networking, walked out with an equal amount.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mouse Cadet posted:

Memorize the port chart, that's about it as I recall.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone taken S+ recently enough to have any thoughts on the performance based questions?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I took it 3 or 4 months ago and poo poo I honestly can't remember more than two questions from that test. And the two were some bullshit about Android and iPhone troubleshooting because they weren't on my study material at all, but I'm certain I got the questions right anyway with some critical thinking.

I'm pretty sure one of the performance based labs was a web GUI for a home-office grade wireless router, and it just asked you to set DHCP scope, SSID, encryption type, and password. It took less than a minute and seriously, if you can't pass that part of the test you don't deserve to work in IT, let alone get the S+.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sefal posted:

I've been using this: http://www.icttrainingen.nl/Microsoft/Training-MCSE-Server-Infrastructure-Examens-70-413-en-70-414.html.

It's an online elearning portal. My boss gave me access to it.

Edit: How do you guys deal with nervousness just before the exam?
I always start to feel a bit light headed, my fingers are vibrating, I can't sit still.

Dutch. I'll probably stick with the book, this is more of a nice-to-have before the 2016 certs come and I'll just go at my pace.

As to nervousness, I find that just psyching myself up helps. Listen to some triumphant as gently caress music that makes you feel unstoppable.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thank you sir. If you have any oddball questions bounce them off me. I've seen weird poo poo.

Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like they aren't playing around. A good thing...got to work for it.

Were the old school MCSE questions huge piles of incorrect answers requiring you to pick the least incorrect or least gotcha-loaded answer out of the bunch?

skipdogg posted:

I've been taking the 70-414 course this week.. I kinda like what Hyper-V has become now. I haven't messed with it since 2008R2, but 2012R2 with VMM isn't bad.

Can the 414 stand on its own or does one need to take 413 first? I'm bored as hell re-reading through deployment stuff and might just get a 414 book and go for that first, if it's something new and interesting that I can play with easily while on the clock and doing nothing else.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Langolas posted:

Did not pass 640-911 today

I have never had the displeasure of taking such a poorly written test from a vendor. Even with all the study guides and browsing the Cisco forums there were still items in the test that I'm going to be digging to see if its in the books because they weren't in the blueprint at all.

All my practice tests I was getting above 95% just fine. I wrote over 500 questions on quizlet going over the material for other self testing

Had a question that was along the lines of choose X number of valid IP addresses from the below list. It wanted you to select X but there were actually Y that were correct. All the subnets were in valid private ranges. So either they meant to add more to the question wording or they gave Y valid options and if you choose any of them to get to the number X you'd still be fine. Yes I'm trying to be vague to not give the exact wording of the question for NDA items but come on Cisco. CCNA R+S was 30x better written when I did those two exams

I had no simlets where I actually configured anything. Blueprint for this test was way off even after they revised it. Thanks Cisco for stealing money from your loyalists. And a hearty gently caress you in return.

Welcome to the club :saddowns: :hf: :saddowns:
Are you planning to rewrite?

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Ashley Madison posted:

Welcome to the club :saddowns: :hf: :saddowns:
Are you planning to rewrite?

Yes, taking it again next week Friday. Still mad at it but its at least focused my studying. Even with the tips and blogs and items people supplied I've identified 8 questions I was able to jot down the subjects from memory of the 65 that weren't part of either published books nor the blueprint. Big gently caress off to Cisco thats for sure.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Anyone here taken the SCCM exam? Curious as to the difficulty, I've heard it's on-par with the Exchange exam with regards to difficulty.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
So I'm making flashcards for the CCNA and my RFC number cards have reached a critical mass of unusability. How important is it to know RFC numbers for specific networking things? I've never needed it in the real world, but have any of you needed it before for the the test?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ErIog posted:

So I'm making flashcards for the CCNA and my RFC number cards have reached a critical mass of unusability. How important is it to know RFC numbers for specific networking things? I've never needed it in the real world, but have any of you needed it before for the the test?

You would look like a complete twat if you referred to anything by RFC number in a meeting.

So naturally, I'm sure it's at least 3 questions.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skooma512 posted:

You would look like a complete twat if you referred to anything by RFC number in a meeting.

So naturally, I'm sure it's at least 3 questions.

I don't know. We had plenty of routing and firewall policies for internal traffic that were just called RFC1918

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ErIog posted:

Don't bother

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I don't know. We had plenty of routing and firewall policies for internal traffic that were just called RFC1918

This is the one and only RFC number I know, or have ever heard anyone speak aloud

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

ErIog posted:

You need to know what RFC 1918 and 4193 are.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If you don't know all the April's Fools RFCs, I feel bad for you.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Jeoh posted:

If you don't know all the April's Fools RFCs, I feel bad for you.

RFC 1149 For the win!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What's the current recommended book for the MCSA these days? I want to start studying the 70-410, 411, and 412.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Coredump posted:

What's the current recommended book for the MCSA these days? I want to start studying the 70-410, 411, and 412.

The MS Press 70-417 book was helpful for the upgrade exam. I can't speak to the 410, 411, and 412 books but given that there's a Sybex one available I'd recommend that over MS, just because Panek writes in a much more accessible and reader-friendly style, rather than just tech manual dumping as the MS Press book was very close to.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

MJP posted:

The MS Press 70-417 book was helpful for the upgrade exam. I can't speak to the 410, 411, and 412 books but given that there's a Sybex one available I'd recommend that over MS, just because Panek writes in a much more accessible and reader-friendly style, rather than just tech manual dumping as the MS Press book was very close to.

This one? https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Server-Complete-Study-Guide/dp/1118544072/ref=mt_paperback?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Thinking of doing CCNA Datacenter. Has anyone here done it, and if so, were the cert guides on point?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Thinking of doing CCNA Datacenter. Has anyone here done it, and if so, were the cert guides on point?

It's a garbage exam and the cert guides don't cover all the topics that appear on it. See the post history of myself (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521165&userid=85217) and MrBigglesworth (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521165&userid=76442)

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Quote is not edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

MrBigglesworth posted:

You need to know what RFC 1918 and 4193 are.

Okay, is it also worth knowing any 802 numbers besides 802.2, 802.3, 802.11 and 802.1Q?