Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Squidtentacle posted:

Monster Hunter Explore finally has something I've always wanted: an Egyptian-themed monster. It looks loving sick to boot, with great designs for the armor and weapons. I think the closest we've had are G-rank Ceadeus armors so far, or the felyne Gypceros armor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDp860m6TGk

If only that'd come over here, I'd finally have an insect glaive that matches Elscarad.

Nefer-Galmudo

As somebody who even plays Frontier, Explore is genuinely hot rear end if you want a proper MH experience and it's always depressing when they put genuine effort into development for it. Part of the monetization is literally paying for the game to play itself.

I'd rather them just work more on the card game sequel :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

CommunityEdition posted:

So, they put wings on a zinogre?

lol was literally having a conversation with goons the other day and someone said "god a flying zinogre would be terrifying"

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Squidtentacle posted:

Monster Hunter Explore finally has something I've always wanted: an Egyptian-themed monster. It looks loving sick to boot, with great designs for the armor and weapons. I think the closest we've had are G-rank Ceadeus armors so far, or the felyne Gypceros armor.

If only that'd come over here, I'd finally have an insect glaive that matches Elscarad.

I think felyne Daora is Egyptian

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

CommunityEdition posted:

I think felyne Daora is Egyptian

Ssssort of? I can see the resemblance, looking at it again, yeah. Definitely the best looking of the elder dragon trio for felynes, at least.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

Squidtentacle posted:

Oh man.

I wanna fight that thing so badly and wear it as armor.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

So I live in Japan now and at a mall near me there's a Monster Hunter arcade game that I believe involves shooting medals (arcade tokens) at something to damage monsters on a screen. A mom was fighting a Kut-Ku when I found it. I'm pretty sure it's just Pachinko-esque gambling, but I still plan to give it a try next time I'm there just to see if I can figure it out.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

It's kinda weird that cutting off a Rathalos, Rathian or Yian Garuga's poison tails doesn't remove the poison from their tail attacks.

It's not too bad since it reduces their range a lot, but still.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Rathalos poison comes from the claws, not the tail.

:goonsay:

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Elman posted:

It's kinda weird that cutting off a Rathalos, Rathian or Yian Garuga's poison tails doesn't remove the poison from their tail attacks.

It's not too bad since it reduces their range a lot, but still.

It only really does anything against Dreadqueen. Cutting her tail (you have to break it first, which makes it harder) removes her ability to create lingering pools of poison, and at higher ranks degrades it from lethal poison to normal poison. I think that's a fair usage of the mechanic without totally breaking the monster's main threats.

I think the only monsters where you can nullify a big part of its moveset by breaking something are Teostra and Chameleos, who respectively lose their fire aura and total invisibility when their horns are broken. Even Daora keeps its wind aura when its horns are broken; it's just not able to get nigh-impenetrable.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Squidtentacle posted:

It only really does anything against Dreadqueen. Cutting her tail (you have to break it first, which makes it harder) removes her ability to create lingering pools of poison, and at higher ranks degrades it from lethal poison to normal poison. I think that's a fair usage of the mechanic without totally breaking the monster's main threats.

I think the only monsters where you can nullify a big part of its moveset by breaking something are Teostra and Chameleos, who respectively lose their fire aura and total invisibility when their horns are broken. Even Daora keeps its wind aura when its horns are broken; it's just not able to get nigh-impenetrable.

Barioth is pretty much crippled by breaking his claws. It's actually kinda sad.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Anyone have some recommendations for low rank DBs in 4U? (for context, I'm just past the Gore urgent)

I've been using Leader's Shotels for a while, mostly because of their sharpness, but I've been hearing that elemental damage is a big priority with DBs. Is that accurate? Should I switch weapons before I double down on this path by going for the Gore DBs?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

wocobob posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for low rank DBs in 4U? (for context, I'm just past the Gore urgent)

I've been using Leader's Shotels for a while, mostly because of their sharpness, but I've been hearing that elemental damage is a big priority with DBs. Is that accurate? Should I switch weapons before I double down on this path by going for the Gore DBs?

elements work well with DB because of the damage mechanics. Physical damage first deals only a portion of your listed attack power, based on which attack you perform. DBs being rather fast weapons doesn't deal a significant portion of attack power per hit. This value is then further reduced by the target's hitzone defense. A GS for example will often be dealing nearly 50% of listed attack power per hit, much more on charged hits. DB on the other hand are usually around 10-15%. Enemy hitzones are rarely more than 50%, and often around in the 30% range, meaning you're often only dealing about 40% of 15% of your listed attack power per hit, if that.

Now I say % of listed attack power, but all attack power values are inflated so GS have an arbitrary number that kinda reflects the fact it deals more damage per hit than the DB. the "listed attack power" i am referring to isn't what you see, but the number before that derived value. For DB divide by 1.4. All of this is in case you REALLY want to sperg hard on the damage formulas. You can ignore the specifics, just note that physical damage is reduced twice, and fast attacking weapons have a very low multiplier (divider) for their per attack 'motion value' (how much damage a very specific attack has behind it).

Elements on the other hand don't (quite) give a drat about which attack connects with the monster. Instead it deals the listed element damage on every attack, regardless of how fast or slow that attack is. There are some stipulations. That big flurry you do when pressing X+A while demonized has reductions to keep it balanced relative to other DB attacks, but for out purposes - being a single button combination attack - it should be viewed more as a single attack rather than the 11 hits that it is. Instead, Elements are generally only reduced by the elemental resists of a target's hitzone. These tend to be rather stiff, but will usually augment your base damage more than using a pure physical weapon that might otherwise have more attack power.

Like physical, elements also have an arbitrary multiplier applied to the listed value. The ACTUAL values on weapons is only 1/10th of the listed value. That makes it seem really insignificant, but don't forget that 40% of 15% mentioned above, which is often a pretty GOOD scenario for physical damage. Again, mentioned for completion.

So practically, what should you know/be aware of. Element Attack, and _Element Attack_ skills are kinda sort of garbage. The former is basically entirely irrelevant. Even late game you will often be dealing less than 10 damage in element damage per attack, where Element Attack Up is only a 1.1x multiplier, and decimals are dropped. It MIGHT give you +1 damage per swing (which isn't strictly insignificant), but it is an expensive stupid skill and you will probably get better results literally getting anything else. The Element specific armor skills are much better but... eh, the trouble of going to crafting armor sets for every element is a huge chore, and DB already has a lot to worry about.

Instead, I would recommend just focusing on "Dual Blade" specific skills
-Marathon Runner: slows stamina depletion; you can ignore this in favor of Dash Juices
-Constitution: reduced stamina consumption on dodges. If you don't have any trouble finding yourself flat footed without stamina, or just don't care, then skip it. Also worth skipping because you can eat for Blackbelt.
-Razor Sharp (Sharpness): basically a gear tax. I don't recommend ever ignoring this, especially with an element weapon where you may focus more on hitting as many times as possible, rather than as 'hard' as possible.
-Speed Sharpening. Cheap and easy to gem into most any set. Pick it up if you feel like you need it. Targeting element weaknesses often means not having weapons with great sharpness.
-Sharpness+1 (Handicraft): This one can often function like Razor Sharp by effectively doubling the highest their of your sharpness meter. Othertimes it can function as a damage bonus by unlocking a higher tier of sharpness. Either way, it's win win. It is expensive, and the bonus is proportionally very small where you are in the game.

tl;dr
Elements are good on DB. It doesn't really matter which element weapon you make, just go make them for each element. Don't worry about element armor skills. Instead, craft the Ceanataur armor set and forget about armor skills until G-rank.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Flython posted:

Barioth is pretty much crippled by breaking his claws. It's actually kinda sad.

I almost forgot about Barioth because it's been so long since he's showed up. Man, we need that guy back.

Unrelatedly, Burger King just announced a promotion with Monster Hunter Online. They're making two unique burgers, the Fire Flame and Dark Thunder.

I feel like these are just asking for an rear end blasting.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Squidtentacle posted:

I almost forgot about Barioth because it's been so long since he's showed up. Man, we need that guy back.

Unrelatedly, Burger King just announced a promotion with Monster Hunter Online. They're making two unique burgers, the Fire Flame and Dark Thunder.

I feel like these are just asking for an rear end blasting.

This would be rad if they didn't have heaps of tomatoes and mayo respectively. :barf:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
How expensive is that Rathalos...

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Veskit posted:

How expensive is that Rathalos...

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Hunter-Liolaeus-Capcom-JAPAN/dp/B003WIYQ70/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1473872013&sr=8-3&keywords=rathalos+figure

You might find cheaper elsewhere. Rajang and Tigrex are about the same.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

60 I may be able to justify but god drat I can't go that far. Super cool though.

Ohhh yeah speaking of do yall know a person who does good MH prints?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Amazon was selling the Rajang for like $70 a few weeks ago...

e: It's at $62 with Prime right now fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 14, 2016

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Hey what is the "best" prowler build? What are the skills I absolutely need on the cat at the beginning? I'm not sure what to look for.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

Moochewmoo posted:

Hey what is the "best" prowler build? What are the skills I absolutely need on the cat at the beginning? I'm not sure what to look for.

Bias:
Go for fighter bias if you want more raw damage, but if you'd rather have better meter build go for an assist bias. Gathering bias is also fine and builds meter on par with an assist cat via boomerang attacks, you're just giving up the Poison Purrison for Plunderang. Personally I prefer assist/gathering because I'm not confident in my ability to not eat multiple attacks, so having the spare meter for healing is nice.

Skills:
Boomerang Pro and Earplugs are the main two innate ones you want. And from there ideally you'll also land Affinity Up L or S. For taught skills you're looking at either Last Stand (charisma bias specific) or World's Strongest (DLC specific). You'll preferably want affinity up small over large if you're gonna go for teaching the World's Strongest (two slots) skill over Last Stand (three slots). But if you don't want to teach down either of the glass cannon options, having both affinity skills set is fine.

Moveset:
The big three you need to have are:

- Emergency Retreat (assist and protection specific, can be taught)
- Piercing Boomerang (fighter and gathering specific, can be taught)
- Big Boomerang (available to all cats)

Remember that you can only teach down one ability, so you're looking for at least two of these on a cat. But after those it's mostly up to your preference. Dung Bombay is always helpful, and costs nothing to use. If you're going with an assist cat, having the Shock Purrison to cover your bases is nice, or just having some sort of trap on a fighter cat is handy, etc.

Dreamy Souffle fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 15, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
http://gematsu.com/2016/09/monster-hunter-hollywood-movie-announced :tinfoil:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Squidtentacle posted:

Oh hey, a Kushala had sex with a Zinogre and they had an awesome looking kid.

Squidtentacle posted:

Breaking Gypceros' horn makes it unable to flash you.

Squidtentacle posted:

This. Seriously, how was he not in this game? I want a sweet Charge blade made of his tusks.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 15, 2016

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzz posted:

That's dirty

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

I could see this being really fun and great if Hollywood maintains the goofiness of the games. I'm guessing it would be a fish-out-of-water story with an outsider having to come in and help protect a village without having any fighting experience. Obviously there needs to be 1 sort of "big bad" monster, but a training montage where a dude works his way up through fighting a Great Jaggi to a Kutku to a Gammoth and so on would be really really sweet.

I think the lack of a true "story" in the series will benefit a movie adaptation. Put whatever trappings you want around it; as long as there are giant monsters getting cut up and worn as head-dresses, I'm cool.

2018 Academy Award for Costume Design...?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Fuzz posted:

how the gently caress did I forget that, I do that all the time

nvm I'm an idiot

hhhhhhuh

I have no idea what to make of this. My hopes aren't super high, but at least MH4U proved that the games themselves can do story and characterization better than previously thought. If they can nail a fun group of characters with an MC who's a newbie working his way to the top, then that's about all I need, with a good dose of silliness.

Watch it turn into the D&D movie, but with Monster Hunter.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I could see this being really fun and great if Hollywood maintains the goofiness of the games. I'm guessing it would be a fish-out-of-water story with an outsider having to come in and help protect a village without having any fighting experience. Obviously there needs to be 1 sort of "big bad" monster, but a training montage where a dude works his way up through fighting a Great Jaggi to a Kutku to a Gammoth and so on would be really really sweet.

I think the lack of a true "story" in the series will benefit a movie adaptation. Put whatever trappings you want around it; as long as there are giant monsters getting cut up and worn as head-dresses, I'm cool.

2018 Academy Award for Costume Design...?

With the sheer number of monsters in the series, I feel like you can probably make an entire MH movie out of that one movie scene where the little fish gets eaten by the bigger fish, which gets eaten by the huge fish, except with wyverns.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I have zero faith in this movie and I hope it gets cancelled.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Dreamy Souffle posted:

Prowler stuff

You can also go with Protection Cats with Counter Boost. They gain meter almost too fast after a block.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

I have zero faith in this movie and I hope it gets cancelled.

The most I'm willing to hope for is that it might feed back a couple new monsters or updated monster movesets into the games.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
If they do it right... oh my god...

Okay, so...

Tonally, it's the original Ghostbusters.

Act I
It's cliche, but I think you have to start with a mysterious stranger who collapsed in the mountains (I think that was the deal in Portable 2, right?). It starts with just normal huntery stuff with a new kid. We get shown around the village and meet the blacksmith (Melissa McCarthy or Leslie Jones), the guildmarm with a lovely attitude (Aubrey Plaza), and a troop of felynes lead by a cat voiced by Vin Diesel. The Ace Commander is Bradley Pooper and is kind of a braggadocios douche bag. We're introduced to the 3 veteran hunters our new kid will be working with. Steven Yeun on hammer, Channing Tatum on bowgun, and Brie Larson on great sword. We get an awesome training montage.

Act II
Once they've shown the newbie the ropes in a montage until they get to their first big challenge: Rathalos. They've got Rathalos on the ropes, so he starts to fly off. They track him down and as they come upon his sleeping body, the scene is broken as a Gore Magala busts in and wakes the Rathalos. They tussle and the Magala wins. There is then some sort of escape sequence.

Of course, no one has seen a G. Magala for years yada yada and it turns out other hunting parties are seeing them as well, heralding the advance of a Shaguru Magala, who will gently caress everyone up (nothing bigger... the bigger bosses are boring).

Through Bradley Pooper's mismanagement of the threat, the super elite mega squad that normally handles this poo poo ends up completely obliterated. Our heroes cuss him the gently caress out.

Act III
Our rag-tag crew has to step up and handle poo poo.

The training montage would be fantastic... We get scenes of the newbie trying out new weapons with sight gags as he tries to swing the huge hammer, blows someone's eyebrows off with a gunlance and when he tries the Insect Glaive, it turns out he's terrified of insects. We also get scenes of the newbie moving progressively up starting from normal jaggies, to great jaggies, up to maybe a Tetsucabra... Pretty much bottom tier stuff. After each monster, we see our dude suited up in new suits every time. During this whole thing, we see Channing flex everytime he takes a potion or consumable which eventually leads to some sort of joke pay-off banter.

I want to see this... It pretty much needs to be cliche but goofy to be awesome.

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 15, 2016

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

a cat voiced by Vin Diesel

I was leaning towards an R2-D2 setup but this would be even better.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
They could make a monster hunter movie like they did Pacific Rim and I'd gladly pay to see it.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

(nothing bigger... the bigger bosses are boring).

Excuse me, Gogmazios attacking Dundorma is made for a cinematic scenario. Especially if they add more siege weaponry and hunters than the original gameplay could accommodate. Add in Godzilla 2014 cinematography and the Demolisher and you have an amazing giant monster fight.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Squidtentacle posted:

Excuse me, Gogmazios attacking Dundorma is made for a cinematic scenario. Especially if they add more siege weaponry and hunters than the original gameplay could accommodate. Add in Godzilla 2014 cinematography and the Demolisher and you have an amazing giant monster fight.

That's definitely true. The magala is the only quasi evolving monster, so I though it would be a good way to go.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
What is a good amount of attack/defense to begin tackling Hyper monsters?

I just reached 350 or so with new high rank gear, and tried tackling the Hyper Malfestio for Okami: Most Wanted, trying to get that sweet palico gear, but got absolutely dumpster-trucked. After burning through all my healing items over 30 minutes, and carting twice, I quit via subquest. It doesn't help that I know sweet gently caress all about Malfestio's patterns it turns out, and the reverse-control status really ruins muscle memory for me.

I should maybe also try not soloing them but I'm only HR4 so kicks abound, and who can be bothered waiting for pubbies to show up to a hall. Got into enough HR Gammoth quests to make his armorset though, so I can check that off the list.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

If they do it right... oh my god...

Okay, so...

Tonally, it's the original Ghostbusters.

(Monster Hunter Movie Stuff)

The movie I'd want to make would have a moral of "Hey quit taking it so seriously it's just a game", but that wouldn't mesh well with with the in-universe fiction of these things being a huge dangerous deal. I suppose I would modify it to "quit being so self-absorbed, as a hunter you should be helping other people before yourself. That is your literal purpose.", that would make more sense.

At the very least I wouldn't have training montages in acts one AND three.

Also, would the cats be CGI or expensive puppets?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

would the cats be CGI or expensive puppets?

actual cats in costumes

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy

Ambi posted:

What is a good amount of attack/defense to begin tackling Hyper monsters?

I just reached 350 or so with new high rank gear, and tried tackling the Hyper Malfestio for Okami: Most Wanted, trying to get that sweet palico gear, but got absolutely dumpster-trucked. After burning through all my healing items over 30 minutes, and carting twice, I quit via subquest. It doesn't help that I know sweet gently caress all about Malfestio's patterns it turns out, and the reverse-control status really ruins muscle memory for me.

I should maybe also try not soloing them but I'm only HR4 so kicks abound, and who can be bothered waiting for pubbies to show up to a hall. Got into enough HR Gammoth quests to make his armorset though, so I can check that off the list.

Depends on the Hyper and, of course, how often you get hit. I'd say 450 is an excellent mark for the lower-tier Hypers if you tend to get hit a lot, such as in Malfestio's case above, and are trying to solo him.

Note: The Event Hypers are usually stronger versions of the regular Guild Hall Hypers. Take a look at this listing and compare Okami: Most Wanted to Woe Malfestio.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Machai posted:

actual cats in costumes

with their faces edited to just be Vin Diesel's mouth over the cats mouth so it's all weird and creepy when they talk

I'm not sure how they'll continually throw LBB+ at every hunter in the movie yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is there a way to unlock the ability to use amulet melding from your home?

• Locked thread