Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Philosopher King posted:

I mean hes called the witcher. Granted not the wizard. But youd think someone serrived from the word witch could do at least a magic missile.

Actually a more literal translation of the original "wiedzmin" would be something like "one who knows" or "cunning one". :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Philosopher King posted:

I huess i just have no idea if i should be selling or disassembling something. I dont know if a weapon i just replace should be vendored or broken down and if the materials i could sell should be held onto.

I always sold weapons and armor when upgrading. There are very few ingredients that are rare enough to need to break down, especially if you play the whole game as a compulsive klepto. Steal everything and sell it all. Save crafting ingredients like ores and ingots since they don't fetch much. They are the only things you'll need in any kind of number, and rareish to boot.

I never even had too much trouble buying the runes and master armors later on.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Philosopher King posted:

Am i the only one surprised that there are only 5 spells in the game?

Philosopher King posted:

I mean hes called the witcher. Granted not the wizard. But youd think someone serrived from the word witch could do at least a magic missile.

Yeah he's a Witcher, not a sorcerer. He's only got access to a very rudimentary form of magic. Granted, there was one other sign in the books (Heliotrope) that I'm aware of, however it basically provided partial protection to magic, which they just merged with Quen. I'm happy enough with the variety in magic myself, especially seeing as you can upgrade them to have additional effects.

EDIT: Pretty sure at multiple points in the books too, when Geralt encounters sorcerers/mages and uses one of his signs in their presence, they just scoff and/or outright laugh about how pathetic his magical ability is.

EDIT EDIT:

Pyromancer posted:

Signs are spells, simple ones that can be cast quickly, without words and with one hand. The witchers are really weak at magic though, Yen bragged somewhere in the books she could knock down a building with aard or something like that. Game versions of mages are really underpowered compared to books.

Yeah, even when it comes to melee combat, mages can perform exceptionally *cough*Vilgefortz*cough*. If the actual magic-users of the Witcher world featured in the game with the same level of sheer power that they're portrayed with in the books, they'd be unbeatable. (Hell, Yennifer beat a group of soldiers by casting semi-uncontrolled spells with a single foot at one point, while she and Geralt were tied up)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 11, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Philosopher King posted:

And why is every door locked? I thought that windblast spell would take care of it all.

There are a lot of doors in Novigrad that are just simply part of the setpiece scenery and the interiors are never accessible. Aard doesn't unlock it just will bust down boarded-over doorframes.

Quite a few Novgorod doors will open up for side quests, though. I was more thorough with my questing second time around I'd say maybe 1/4 of the buildings in Novigrad are associated with quests and you get access to the interiors while doing them. Given the size of the city that's fairly impressive.

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah he's a Witcher, not a sorcerer. He's only got access to a very rudimentary form of magic. Granted, there was one other sign in the books (Heliotrope) that I'm aware of, however it basically provided partial protection to magic, which they just merged with Quen. I'm happy enough with the variety in magic myself, especially seeing as you can upgrade them to have additional effects.

EDIT: Pretty sure at multiple points in the books too, when Geralt encounters sorcerers/mages and uses one of his signs in their presence, they just scoff and/or outright laugh about how pathetic his magical ability is.

Yeah I mean he's basically a medieval Polish Jedi. Master swordsman you should know better than to gently caress with, plus some limited magic. Force push, mind tricks, etc

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 11, 2016

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Have they ever commented on the NG+ problem of steel swords from B&W being invisible? Its really anoying and I was holding off playing until 1.3 came out hoping they would fix it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wizards in the books are also pissy nerds eager to put down lesser magicians. One of the wizards in the books includes witchers along with hedge wizards and village witches in the class of people who didn't work for their craft. He imagined that Geralt had a nice childhood compared to him(???) Of course it's classist as well.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Wizards in the books are also pissy nerds eager to put down lesser magicians. One of the wizards in the books includes witchers along with hedge wizards and village witches in the class of people who didn't work for their craft. He imagined that Geralt had a nice childhood compared to him(???) Of course it's classist as well.

Yeah I remember that part. :D Geralt "the one-out-of-ten who survived the Trial of Grasses and was then given more concoctions as he did so well in the initial Trial" of Rivia, living the high-life during his childhood.
And then him and a wizard organizing a duel over Yennifer, and both ending up wanting to kill themselves in the subject 'Ice Queen' story.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What stage should I play Hearts of Stone at? I should leave Blood and Wine for the end, right? (is this a game where I can keep playing post-ending, or do I just keep a save before the last quest and go play B&W from that)

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I say finish the main game, then heart of stone, then blood and wine.

The game dumps you back out after you beat it, and you can finish almost all the side quests later. There are only a few where you are locked out due to story purposes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
B&W should be played after you beat vanilla game. get all your other quests done with Vanilla before you beat it, and then start B&W - I don't think you should play more Witcher 3 after you beat B&W unless you start over from the beginning.

I'd start HoS right when you hit lvl 29 or 30, beat it, then continue with the main game.

However, it's standalone enough that you could play HoS after Vanilla and it wouldn't be weird at all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Don't sweat it, just do Blood and Wine last.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

Don't sweat it, just do Blood and Wine last.

That's what I was trying to say, yeah. Good call.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I swear every other post is about what order / when people should play the expansions, can we get that info in the OP?

Gitro
May 29, 2013
In Hearts of Stone, can you actually do anything with the statue you can buy at the auction house? I perpetually forget to check, but it didn't start any quests or anything. I'd smash the poo poo out of it if I could, do i just have to equip it or what? Love how value all the items are though, the specs are just excellent and the portrait makes a tidy profit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

necrobobsledder posted:

I swear every other post is about what order / when people should play the expansions, can we get that info in the OP?

The OP hasn't been updated in a year and a half so probably no

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Gitro posted:

In Hearts of Stone, can you actually do anything with the statue you can buy at the auction house? I perpetually forget to check, but it didn't start any quests or anything. I'd smash the poo poo out of it if I could, do i just have to equip it or what? Love how value all the items are though, the specs are just excellent and the portrait makes a tidy profit.

Go to a blacksmith and have them deconstruct it.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Bogart posted:

Go to a blacksmith and have them deconstruct it.

Thanks, didn't even occur to me.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Digirat posted:

The OP hasn't been updated in a year and a half so probably no

We even have a dead irc on synirc, #witcher3 to go with it!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Finally done with both expansion packs. Hearts of Stone was awesome, great spin on Faust/Twardowski story. Dark as gently caress, too. Probably the best questline next to the Bloody Baron.

Blood and Wine had a great open world and sidequests but the main story kinda blew. Regis spends all his time saying how good the other vampire (:megadeath:laff ? wtf) is when said guy murdered my buddy Peyrac-Peyran. And at the end Regis is like, woah, he wasn't a cool guy at all!

Both Anna Henrietta and her stupid sister were awful and I was happy to see them both die. The former sees her kingdom getting burned by vampires and wouldn't hear any reason, the latter was just emo and ready to jump my bones after 5 minutes of acquaintance, on some stupid cloud no less. I loved the part when you can tell her she's less interesting than she think she is. Looked up how to get the good ending and nope, too much effort for two unlikeable characters.

Loved the house stuff. Perfect ending for the series, both books and games. Team Yen all the way.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hotfix 1.31 live on Steam:

Full Changelog:

- Corrects Arabic text in the expansions.
- Corrects Turkish text.
- Repairs holes in Vimme Vivaldi's new clothes.
- Fixes long loading times in dialogues in the vicinity of Hierarch Square.
- Fixes infinite loading screen occurring during the "Pyres of Novigrad" quest when following the thief.
- Corrects credits.
- (Origin) Fixes NPC lipsync issues.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

DoctorGonzo posted:

Hotfix 1.31 live on Steam:

Full Changelog:

- Corrects Arabic text in the expansions.
- Corrects Turkish text.
- Repairs holes in Vimme Vivaldi's new clothes.
- Fixes long loading times in dialogues in the vicinity of Hierarch Square.
- Fixes infinite loading screen occurring during the "Pyres of Novigrad" quest when following the thief.
- Corrects credits.
- (Origin) Fixes NPC lipsync issues.

Ah nice I was hit by the invisible Vivaldi and long load times bugs

I'm on Ps4 though so gotta wait a month now...

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

loquacius posted:

So uh is it possible that the Crone fight was not balanced properly for NG+

I ask because I ran into a similar problem with an earlier Ciri segment (Temple Island) and goddamn I do not remember this fight being this tough the first time around.

e: n/m got it on the 3rd try :c00l:
e2: goddamn though Imlerith was just so easy compared to the Crones, I still say Ciri's NG+ balance is all hosed

There's definitely some fights on NG+ DM that were a loving pain in the rear end that weren't the first time around.

Though I will say pretty much all the fights I can think of were fights that were supposed to be hard AND all had a method you had to stick to.

The crones was one. You MUST kill fatty first (Brewess?) I know I killed he annoying one that keeps teleporting around last.

A lot of the CC fistfights become a huge pain in the rear end once you're fighting 3 level 105 dudes with nowhere to move.

Holy poo poo though that "biggest fear" boss in HoS was a loving hard as poo poo fight until I got the counters down.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
So I just started blood and wine after not playing for a few months or so. I seem to be having quite a bit more texture pop in than I remember. Is this an issue with the game or just with blood and wine itself. Running at 1080p ultra with an AMD Fury and 6700k, 16 ram and on an SSD.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

JetsGuy posted:

Holy poo poo though that "biggest fear" boss in HoS was a loving hard as poo poo fight until I got the counters down.

For this fight, I woke up all the nightmares, chucked a Dancing Star, in the middle, then hit whirl. After whirl stopped, I chucked another bomb and hit whirl again, and they were dead.

Another alternative is before doing that section of HoS, go to BaW and go just far enough to get and complete the quest that lets you unlock the new witcher abilities, and get Piercing Cold.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my gwent decks sucks, that little guy at the passiflora is kicking my rear end

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah if there is a guide to a cheat deck of Gwent i would like to see it.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Lotish posted:

Yeah if there is a guide to a cheat deck of Gwent i would like to see it.

Basic Northern Realms approach: as many spies as you can get, medics, a bunch of siege and also the tight bond cards, never have more than 22 unit cards and maybe 4-5 special cards tops (decoys are key).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm just transitioning out of Velen into Novigrad and everyone is whipping me at Gwent. I'm playing with Sunny Foltest, I managed to beat the bloody baron somehow, so I did get that card. I have two spies, one medic, two decoys, and a variety of combat units, the only ones with any special abilities are two of those blue stripes commandos. I have one of each weather card in my deck, and I'm not sure if they're worth it. Any recommendations for how to improve my deck at this point? The only special Gwent player I beat was the bloody baron, so I do have that chubby 4-strength spy card he gives you.

Edit: I also really have no idea when I should be playing stuff. Should I play my spies in the first round and then throw it? Should I save them to try to bait out enemy decoys first?

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 13, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

Basic Northern Realms approach: as many spies as you can get, medics, a bunch of siege and also the tight bond cards, never have more than 22 unit cards and maybe 4-5 special cards tops (decoys are key).

Then some strategy for actually playing with it:

Against a hard opponent, if you don't draw a few spies, healers and decoys, you should probably just forfeit and restart.
Turn 1: Play spies, decoy enemy spies and replay. If you can win the first round by only playing a few value cards, great, do that. Especially with healers you can bring them back later. Having more cards in your hand is most important though.
Turns 2-3: Ideally you have more cards and haven't played any good stuff yet. Generally you want to play your cards from low to high value to avoid Scorch, tough opponents will usually draw 1-2 Scorches. If you have healers it may be useful to bait out the enemy scorch, but generally you want to build from low to higher card value (play horns and Bond cards last usually).

It can often be useful to not remove weather effects (assuming you have a Clear Weather card or the Foltest ability) until the very end of a round. You can play high value cards and add a horn, but the weather will keep their values low enough they won't get Scorched. Then your opponent concedes the round thinking they've won, you Clear Weather and all of a sudden have a massive score advantage. Once you eventually get Villentretenmeth or whatever (the dragon) you can do the opposite and wreck monster decks especially by playing Biting Frost then nuking most of their front line.

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm just transitioning out of Velen into Novigrad and everyone is whipping me at Gwent. I'm playing with Sunny Foltest, I managed to beat the bloody baron somehow, so I did get that card. I have two spies, one medic, two decoys, and a variety of combat units, the only ones with any special abilities are two of those blue stripes commandos. I have one of each weather card in my deck, and I'm not sure if they're worth it. Any recommendations for how to improve my deck at this point? The only special Gwent player I beat was the bloody baron, so I do have that chubby 4-strength spy card he gives you.

Just keep playing each merchant you run into until you beat them once, first win will get you a random card. There are a handful of merchants around Velen that sell cards, particularly innkeeps, so grab those up. Notably there's a merchant from Claywich who is being held prisoner by bandits on an island to the east, you have to free him before you can buy his very good Nilfgaard cards.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 13, 2016

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
yeah that northern realms spies/decoy stuff meant that i never lost a round of gwent when it mattered. gets boring though, i took a shine to the skellige deck and now i'm hoping for a mod/patch to put that deck in the base game, at least until gwent standalone is out.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Mzbundifund posted:

Edit: I also really have no idea when I should be playing stuff. Should I play my spies in the first round and then throw it? Should I save them to try to bait out enemy decoys first?

Your only special cards should be Decoys and maybe a Scorch. Take out all weather cards, they're bad. For them to be useful too many conditions need to be true: your opponent needs to have significant power in that row and you need to have less power in that row and they need to not have a Clear Skies in their hand. You could have drawn a card that is always useful instead. The lone exception is Biting Cold vs. monster decks, which pretty much ruins them, but once your deck is good enough you won't need it anyway to beat them.

Definitely play spies early. Even if your opponent decoys them back, that only gives you the opportunity to decoy them right back. Throwing the first round is perfectly fine, but remember that Northern Kingdoms draws a card if they win a round. Sometimes spending one or two cards after the opponent passes to win the round is worth it since you'll get one card back anyway. Also being up a round means your opponent will not pass in the second round, which allows you to force them to play out their hand and then win the third round easily.

As for improving your deck, you can buy the second catapult at the Passiflora in Novigrad, that's probably the most important upgrade you can make right now. Catapults will be your main win condition you until you get decked out in hero cards. In case you missed the first one, it's sold by the White Orchard innkeeper, go back and buy it. Another really good and easily accessible card is Yennefer, which can be won from the Oxenfurt innkeeper. You might need to give it a few tries, as a gwent quest target his deck is fairly strong.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ojetor posted:

Your only special cards should be Decoys and maybe a Scorch. Take out all weather cards, they're bad. For them to be useful too many conditions need to be true: your opponent needs to have significant power in that row and you need to have less power in that row and they need to not have a Clear Skies in their hand. You could have drawn a card that is always useful instead. The lone exception is Biting Cold vs. monster decks, which pretty much ruins them, but once your deck is good enough you won't need it anyway to beat them.

Definitely play spies early. Even if your opponent decoys them back, that only gives you the opportunity to decoy them right back. Throwing the first round is perfectly fine, but remember that Northern Kingdoms draws a card if they win a round. Sometimes spending one or two cards after the opponent passes to win the round is worth it since you'll get one card back anyway. Also being up a round means your opponent will not pass in the second round, which allows you to force them to play out their hand and then win the third round easily.

As for improving your deck, you can buy the second catapult at the Passiflora in Novigrad, that's probably the most important upgrade you can make right now. Catapults will be your main win condition you until you get decked out in hero cards. In case you missed the first one, it's sold by the White Orchard innkeeper, go back and buy it. Another really good and easily accessible card is Yennefer, which can be won from the Oxenfurt innkeeper. You might need to give it a few tries, as a gwent quest target his deck is fairly strong.

Thank you very much, that's very helpful. I do have the white orchard catapult, but without a second it was only a strong fight card (my strongest, though). I'll kick out the weather cards then. So even commander's horn cards aren't worth the space? They seem really powerful.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

FYI - Most Hero cards are overrated. Don't use your run of the mill 10 point hero cards as anything except for filler after you've put all your good cards in your deck. They can't be buffed by anything which makes them actually fairly weak in comparison to most other cards. Of course go ahead and use them if you don't have a full really good deck yet. They're obviously better than that set of 3 point Redanian infantry you have.

Good card would include: Spies. Healers. Cooperative cards (like the catapults). Villentretenmerth. Dandelion. Any other really good neutral cards. Decoys. Scorches. War Horns. And even normal cards with a value higher than 5. All of those are far better than 10 point heroes.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I disagree that weather cards are useless - I use Biting Frost against monster decks :grin:

Why bother throwing a round to win on the third round when you can just win two straight in a row?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

necrobobsledder posted:

Why bother throwing a round to win on the third round when you can just win two straight in a row?

So that your opponent starts off at a disadvantage, as they used more cards in the first round in order to secure a win? Although depending on which side I'm currently playing, I'm partial to winning the first round, then allowing the opponent to win the second, often using spies to bolster my own hand (and forcing them to deplete most/all of the cards in their hand), then just dumping all my cards in the third round and winning it by a mile.
Love using copious amounts of spies+decoys though, especially against an opponent with the same type of deck. I had a game where we were just constantly deploying and decoying spies through the first round. :D I don't recall how many cards we each had by the end of it, but I remember that we both picked up an obscenely large amount.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A 10 point hero is a perfectly fine card to have in your deck. Just wouldn't want to have all of them.

Don't play spies in the first round against decks that run healers that's just terrible advice.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I kept a weather card of each kind in my deck through the whole game and ran into almost no trouble, except for that nilfgaardian deck you have to beat in the tournament which is practically in its own league. With sunny foltest the really valuable thing about them is actually that they provide cover from scorch cards. They also mean that the other player will be likely to play cards in other rows, which consolidates their strength somewhere that you can hit with a different weather card (right after you play foltest).

If you aren't using sunny foltest then yeah the utility may not be there.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Arglebargle III posted:

A 10 point hero is a perfectly fine card to have in your deck. Just wouldn't want to have all of them.

Don't play spies in the first round against decks that run healers that's just terrible advice.

What decks are healer-heavy? Nilfgaard and Scoia'tael?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Are lesser red mutagens supposed to be hard to find or am I having bad luck? After 50 hours of clearing contracts and killing everything I meet I've got two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Except if you're playing against scoiatael they won't be playing their own spies for you to decoy, so you may as well play it and wait to pick them up in round 2.

Still a card advantage.