Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

WhyteRyce posted:

touchscreens on laptops came out during Intel's Ultrabook push (i.e. PLEASE BUY LAPTOPS AND NOT TABLETS WHAT TABLET STUFF CAN WE CRAM ONTO LAPTOPS). While I hate them, we actually have some decent 2-in-1 style devices (Surface, those early Asus Transformer) now so I guess it was kind of worth it?

nothing was worth it. <carves avenged sevenfold logo into wrists>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
jack is wack, yo

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
the macbook pro is the best laptop of its type, and it has the best touchpad of any laptop

in my humble opinion

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mozi posted:

hrm hrm

your operating system is a piece of poo poo

(wish i had stuck w/ windows 7, 10 is just bleeeeeh)

🙄
Windows 10 is clearly superior to windows 7 though

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ASUS is great in that they have a poo poo load of products out there. Some are great, some with lovely power connectors or garbage flash memory that destroys itself during normal usage but you'll never know what those products are until they've been out on the market for 6+ months

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

a bone to pick posted:

Yeha but it also pushed manufacturers to adopt the loving piece of poo poo touchpad.

Agreed, pointing stick is the one true mouse substitute

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

NihilismNow posted:

Unless it is a lenovo. Then it just reinstalls the malware via a UEFI backdoor (not even joking).

fortunately the thinkpads never had that poo poo

basically never buy a non-thinkpad lenovo

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

The trackpads are what make apple laptops worth it.

The imac is really bad though, as is the watch. The iPhone 4S was gadget perfection.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The old apple pros were really loving cool, then they made it a literal trash can.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

opus111 posted:

The trackpads are what make apple laptops worth it.

The imac is really bad though, as is the watch. The iPhone 4S was gadget perfection.

all trackpads are trash, no exceptions

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

notZaar posted:

I fell for the hype and bought a MacBook in 2012

You can buy that same model today for the same price in the apple store

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I play games on my desktop and dick around on the internet. It has windows.

My laptop dual boots Linux and windows. But it was like a $400 laptop from best buy my aunt gave me when I graduated high school. It still works. I still use it.

Next laptop might be pure Linux like a system 76 laptop or something. I grew up in windows and some Linux. I knew one programmer who used pure apple but so far that's the only one. Macs seem ok, but the seem overpriced and I think they should let their users access to their hardware or software.

All of the people not interested in tech stuff and with money to spend use apple.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
its sad because older macbooks had the ability to upgrade the RAM and hard drive, and replace most of the parts like most laptops. Around the beginning of the Tim cook era, though, the batteries started being glued on, the RAM soldered on, and the hard drives to be a proprietary connection that is unique to every macbook model. That is some bullshit.

Oh also iMacs used to be really easy to repair and upgrade too but they decided to start gluing the loving display assembly to the case.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I work at a Java-based tech company and for the first time in my life I'm in the minority as a PC user. It is some surreal poo poo, guys. I get poo poo for using a PC. :psyduck:

One of these days I'm gonna go back to a .NET shop where people are sane and have OS opinions that make some goddamn sense.

a bone to pick posted:

its sad because older macbooks had the ability to upgrade the RAM and hard drive, and replace most of the parts like most laptops. Around the beginning of the Tim cook era, though, the batteries started being glued on, the RAM soldered on, and the hard drives to be a proprietary connection that is unique to every macbook model. That is some bullshit.

Oh also iMacs used to be really easy to repair and upgrade too but they decided to start gluing the loving display assembly to the case.

We definitely switched out the HD on my wife's MBP when it poo poo the bed a few months ago, but the thing's at least 5 years old. Seems like every part in it has been switched out at some point in its lifespan; if the loving RAM is soldered on these days that sounds basically unusable.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

radiatinglines posted:

I got a cheapo ASUS laptop, and what little bloatware it had was easy to get rid of. Props ASUS

I bought an Asus laptop and it died within about 4 months. I shipped it out to Asus for a warranty repair and about a week later I got a phone call from them telling me they received an empty box and that they will email me pictures of the empty box.

They asked me if I still had the receipt from when I shipped it, and luckily I did! It proved right on the receipt that it weighed 10 pounds when I shipped it. The woman I was dealing with asked me to fax it to them so she could take care of it. I faxed it like she asked and she called me later that day basically telling me "sorry but I can't do anything for you" even though she basically made it sound like if I sent her the receipt she'd help me out. This is why I record all phone calls to 800 numbers since then. I wish I had her on tape.

I explained to her that there were only two people who could have stolen the laptop out of the box: a USPS employee, or the sub-contractor they use to process RMAs. I asked her who she thought was more likely to have stolen it: the USPS employee who is risking a $60,000 a year job + pension, and being literally thrown in prison? Or the seasonal employee making $9 an hour at the company that Asus contracted out to process their RMAs? They told me there was literally nothing they were going to do for me and "sorry but that's that". Typically I do not let things like that go and I should have really fought tooth-and-nail but it was at a really busy time in my life (just bought a house, full time job and college almost full time) so I had other things stressing me out enough. Though I did contact the Postal Police (a real thing) and they took it very seriously (at least the officer I spoke to did, since it was USPS mail theft). But I never heard from Asus again.

A year or two later I saw people online posting that they sent their Asus tablets to their RMA center for repair and they would get a similar phone call like I did, except this time it was "we're not repairing your tablet because there is a gigantic crack in the screen". The only problem? The pictures they sent for "proof" were not even of the tablet that the customer sent in.

I've been praying for their demise ever since but of course with my luck they seem to be the single solitary PC manufacturer that isn't doing terribly. Oh well. Anyway Asus sucks and there is proof they literally defraud customers returning stuff for RMAs.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 14, 2016

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Could be worse than Asus, could be Acer

Around the time Win8 launched I got an Acer tablet because it was super cheap, ran full Windows (none of this WinRT bullshit) and had a full keyboard dock. Which was great until the Win8.1 update came along and Acer's firmware update bricked it. Never buying an Acer device again.

(this did serve as a convenient excuse for me to buy an SP2 though :v:)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Recently work took away all our windows pcs and gave us Ubuntu pcs. It's a nightmare and it prevents us from doing a bunch of work stuff, requiring us to pass a Windows laptop around the office depending on whose doing certain things

I would kill for Windows at work again. Windows is goddamn amazing.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Recently work took away all our windows pcs and gave us Ubuntu pcs. It's a nightmare and it prevents us from doing a bunch of work stuff, requiring us to pass a Windows laptop around the office depending on whose doing certain things

I would kill for Windows at work again. Windows is goddamn amazing.
I understand why people try not to use Windows & Active Directory but it sure never seems to work as well.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

iOS 10 loving sucks

They broke so much of the good poo poo that was working just fine, like the control center

And added widgets because I guess that's what android does, and @STICKERS@ to iMessage because of Snapchat or who the gently caress knows why, yes let me buy a 9.99 pack of stickers for my Apple Messaging app

loving waste of time

iOS 9 I was pretty happy with and it could've used some refinements but gently caress did they go "Let's go WYLD"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Don Tacorleone posted:

iOS 10 loving sucks

They broke so much of the good poo poo that was working just fine, like the control center

And added widgets because I guess that's what android does, and @STICKERS@ to iMessage because of Snapchat or who the gently caress knows why, yes let me buy a 9.99 pack of stickers for my Apple Messaging app

loving waste of time

iOS 9 I was pretty happy with and it could've used some refinements but gently caress did they go "Let's go WYLD"

iOS are also russian roulette updates since you never know if they will brick your Iphone

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

LethalGeek posted:

I understand why people try not to use Windows & Active Directory but it sure never seems to work as well.

Agreed. I am a huge Linux geek but drat, use the right tool for the job.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has apple made any actually beneficial changes to the iPod after they made them play videos? Because it seems like that was the last improvement they did, and everything since then has, at best, not hurt.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
TrackPoint supremacy

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

blugu64 posted:

TrackPoint supremacy

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Has apple made any actually beneficial changes to the iPod after they made them play videos? Because it seems like that was the last improvement they did, and everything since then has, at best, not hurt.

Um well they turned them into iPhones without a call service, is that good?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

We definitely switched out the HD on my wife's MBP when it poo poo the bed a few months ago, but the thing's at least 5 years old. Seems like every part in it has been switched out at some point in its lifespan; if the loving RAM is soldered on these days that sounds basically unusable.

The 2011 MBP is the best mac available.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lol if you think owning an older iPhone will be viable after apple obsoletes it with OS updates

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Germstore posted:

*pulls gun* Hand over the phone and the ear buds- why are you taking off the watch- not the watch- I don't want the loving watch! *bang*

Have mercy, they don't want the watch either.

naem
May 29, 2011

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
apple macbook pros are still pretty nice although now theyve removed the ethernet port which is really annoying and i dont much care for retina on something i dont hold up to my face

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Macs are really good to recommend to family members who are poo poo at computers.

I bought my wife one and ive had to support it like, maybe 5 times in 5 years. Nothing is really easier than on a windows machine but if you open a dodgy attachment you dont crypto locker the home network.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

thathonkey posted:

apple macbook pros are still pretty nice although now theyve removed the ethernet port which is really annoying and i dont much care for retina on something i dont hold up to my face

We were at a local restaurant to watch a game of soccer.
When it was time for the game we noticed that they intended to stream the match with a macbook over wifi...

After severe buffering issues the crowd was pretty angry and started shouting about connecting a loving network cable instead.

The poor owner just stood there searching for the port only to realise that there wasnt any, lol.

We left the place without paying for the food and went to a sportsbar instead.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
apple loves to remove extremely useful and common jacks they really are cunts about that

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Indy posted:

We were at a local restaurant to watch a game of soccer.
When it was time for the game we noticed that they intended to stream the match with a macbook over wifi...

After severe buffering issues the crowd was pretty angry and started shouting about connecting a loving network cable instead.

The poor owner just stood there searching for the port only to realise that there wasnt any, lol.

We left the place without paying for the food and went to a sportsbar instead.

I had a 2015 Macbook pro for a job and it was poo poo. Sure it was fast, but as soon as you hooked up a external monitor and had a VM running the entire OS bogged down and started rendering things at 15fps. Even with a discreet GPU.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

i used a macbook air for a while and while the trackpad was nice it wasn't legendary or anything. use a mouse like god intended

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

ratbert90 posted:

I had a 2015 Macbook pro for a job and it was poo poo. Sure it was fast, but as soon as you hooked up a external monitor and had a VM running the entire OS bogged down and started rendering things at 15fps. Even with a discreet GPU.

What.

I've been using a 2013 MBP for the last several years for development work and I have no idea what you're talking about unless Apple somehow totally gimped their newer models in a way I don't know about.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

revmoo posted:

What.

I've been using a 2013 MBP for the last several years for development work and I have no idea what you're talking about unless Apple somehow totally gimped their newer models in a way I don't know about.

IDK man, the entire thing got super loving hot when a VM was going as well.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

revmoo posted:

What.

Macs have a long history of having poo poo graphics support. Same hardware runs like garbage vs windows and Linux because the OS has little work done there. Game companies sure keep trying though

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

iOS 10 is pretty lame - I just learned that I use the slide + PIN a lot more often than I realize depending how I hold the phone depending if I pull out of my pocket, if I'm walking, if it's on my desk dock, some of these things are awkward to thumb the home button.

Not sure why they separated music playback out of the swipe up control panel...

3D touch is still useless

Something's fucky with my email

Messages wastes a lot of space now, the bar on top that shows the contact picture (or a gray circle if you haven't assigned a contact picture, which for me is most people) needs to shrink again and they put MORE whitespace between message bubbles.

Scrolling in safari was tweaked ever so slightly...

The bedtime app is pretty cool though if you're eight years old and can't figure out when you should go to bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ratbert90 posted:

IDK man, the entire thing got super loving hot when a VM was going as well.

Yeah that's not normal. I use a 2015 MBP for work and I have at least 3 VMs running at any given time and it's pretty rare the fans are ever even audible, nevermind it getting warm.

• Locked thread