Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They are circumventing China manufacturing issues by not manufacturing in China (or doing assembly in the us at least). Looks like they've solved their biggest technical hurdles (power supply issues). I think anyone can look at the posts on their community forum if you want. No idea how the software is going along.

http://community.glowforge.com/t/glowforge-update-betas-maker-faire-production/2823

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so i learned about this recently

http://wazer.com/

gonna be on kickstarter on 9/12 :911:++;

i like: the idea of a cnc waterjet that doesn't cost $250,000

i don't like: the idea of a cnc waterjet using a 50,000 psi turbopump built by the cheapest chinese contract manufacturer

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

A Yolo Wizard posted:

They are circumventing China manufacturing issues by not manufacturing in China (or doing assembly in the us at least). Looks like they've solved their biggest technical hurdles (power supply issues). I think anyone can look at the posts on their community forum if you want. No idea how the software is going along.

That's cool, thanks.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mister Sinewave posted:

Holy poo poo that fidget thing, wish I'd have thought of it and truer words will not be spoken by me probably all day.

i feel the same way about pet rocks

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Honestly about a decade ago I went to the electronics store, picked up a small plastic enclosure and several switches that had nice feels to them and just made a lil box with all these nice fiddly bits.

If you told me that was a multi million dollar idea I would have laughed at you. :smith:

edit: lmao $2.8 mil.

https://ksr-video.imgix.net/projects/2589968/video-700472-h264_high.mp4

I didnt actually watch the video before but lmao at 2minutes on. :allears:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 11, 2016

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SynthOrange posted:

Honestly about a decade ago I went to the electronics store, picked up a small plastic enclosure and several switches that had nice feels to them and just made a lil box with all these nice fiddly bits.

If you told me that was a multi million dollar idea I would have laughed at you. :smith:

edit: lmao $2.8 mil.

https://ksr-video.imgix.net/projects/2589968/video-700472-h264_high.mp4

I didnt actually watch the video before but lmao at 2minutes on. :allears:

fidget discreetly, my lord

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
poo poo 2.8mil and the campaign has barely started; goal at 15k. Unless it was all a masterminded thing they have a shitload of problems to solve that they never thought they would have to solve to fulfill 2.8mil of orders versus even just a hundred thou $ worth.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I sure hope they worked out their costing really well and have included a healthy profit in that price.

imagine getting $2.8 million worth of orders and it's all break-even

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
A guy I know did a reasonably successful kickstarter for a plastic widget and in the end it broke pretty even, fulfillment was what ate up the margin.

Could be worse, could find out you could have just handed out 5$ bills for an afternoon and ended up the same financially. Our would have ended with MORE money in the end had you just played xbox instead of making and selling a thingie.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the usual figure thrown around is that you need to sell for ~2.5x your BOM cost to break even once you factor in all the manufacturing costs. and i dont think that accounts for shipping costs to customers

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I can't wait to buy the 90% as good version from aliexpress for a quarter of the price in a couple months tho

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

why doesn't it at least harvest the kinetic energy to trickle-charge a battery or something

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

why doesn't it at least harvest the kinetic energy to trickle-charge a battery or something

wait, are you complaining that a Kickstarter project doesn't have enough useless features?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

yes

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

duTrieux. posted:

with enough energy they could gamify the thing and have the cube post achievements ("100000 actuations" etc) to your fidget account

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

unpacked robinhood posted:

with enough energy they could gamify the thing and have the cube post achievements ("100000 actuations" etc) to your fidget account
on the other hand they made a thing that could actually be made and will work on launch as advertised

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

unpacked robinhood posted:

So who wants to kickstart a physiotherapy business for when everyone gets crippling rsi?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294137530/the-first-desktop-waterjet-cutter

we'll see :colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Seems neat if it works.

evilcat
May 16, 2009
The WAZER actually seems reasonable.
A professional machine at 60k psi will do 1" thick 2024 Aluminum at about 19ipm, the wazer will do 1/16" at 2.8ipm. With the massive cost difference, they're probably using a substantially lower power pump, but even for the list of materials that don't really get that thick, the speeds it cuts are believably low enough for a home unit and for some thing, much easier than by hand and possibly more convenient than a laser cutter.
Looks like the money is going to manufacturing costs for bulk parts ordering and development of waterjet-specific software, and they seem to have working prototypes and most development done.

Some cost cutting measures done and no divulging of the water pressure, but it actually seems doable to the extent they are almost completely sold out of the very limited machines. Not even the thing of more questionable projects where they have a virtually unlimited number of machines at some price points, they actually seem fairly legitimate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there was a waterjet guy posting on hack-a-day who ran the numbers and figures they're using a 5000psi pressure-washer pump. the abrasive usage is linear with time and water flow, not pressure, so cutting that steel sprocket they use as an example (takes about 55 minutes they said) would use something like 30 pounds of garnet sand, and that's not reusable.

essentially it's trading out the 60,000 psi intensifier pump for slow erosion and vastly increased abrasive usage.

there are also a bunch of unrealistic or mistaken values in their specs for tolerance and maintenance life too apparently.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

i have the add pretty bad, and i'm terribly fidgety. would love something that i could fidget with but that wouldn't make any coworker-detectable noise

i bite my nails but thats a nervous habit, not really a fidgety thing

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

evilcat
May 16, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

there was a waterjet guy posting on hack-a-day who ran the numbers and figures they're using a 5000psi pressure-washer pump. the abrasive usage is linear with time and water flow, not pressure, so cutting that steel sprocket they use as an example (takes about 55 minutes they said) would use something like 30 pounds of garnet sand, and that's not reusable.

essentially it's trading out the 60,000 psi intensifier pump for slow erosion and vastly increased abrasive usage.

there are also a bunch of unrealistic or mistaken values in their specs for tolerance and maintenance life too apparently.

Thanks, I missed that post.
That pump would make sense why it runs on average home power and has fairly poor cutting performance, it's basically being a wet grinder with horrible abrasive consumption and completely flow through water as opposed to filtering.
I figured some of their values had to be optimistic given some of their cost cutting measures and having to build it to a price, but at that cost it probably would be easier to either sacrifice an old pressure washer or just snag a laser cutter, since having to vent it seems like a good tradeoff for a machine that won't suck down consumables at an insane rate and doesn't function as a fancy wet grinder.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Theres a lot of materials you can't cut in a laser cutter tbh, and especially not in an entry level one. I'm gonna have to get one of those cheapo cncs so I can cut the smaller carbon fiber and g10 stuff I wanna do soon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I didnt see how much it used up in consumables, jesus.

And most shots just show the top unit, not picturing the huge pump unit at the bottom.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

80 mesh garnet is $200/metric ton, so not bad?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i suppose yeah
if you're going to buy it by the metric ton
and also if you have a place to store a metric ton of garnet dust

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

that's what? a 20x20 5ft high pile?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
my wife was one of the first people to order a glowforge laser cutter thing and right now they're aiming for late 2017 for shipping the first pre-pro units lol

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

theflyingexecutive posted:

that's what? a 20x20 5ft high pile?
that's a bedroom

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
the solution i p obvs here people

you put your watercutter in the basement, and the room above it is full of this sand stuff and you just have a pipe going down

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nah, it wouldn't take up anywhere near that much space. Think logically: garnet is a mineral, so it weighs more than water. One metric ton of water occupies 1 cubic meter -- a little bigger than a dishwasher. I'm guessing 1000kg of garnet would be about the size of a 55-gallon drum.

It wouldn't take up your whole house, but you'd need a forklift to deliver it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Nah, it wouldn't take up anywhere near that much space. Think logically: garnet is a mineral, so it weighs more than water. One metric ton of water occupies 1 cubic meter -- a little bigger than a dishwasher. I'm guessing 1000kg of garnet would be about the size of a 55-gallon drum.

It wouldn't take up your whole house, but you'd need a forklift to deliver it.

yeah, it's pallet sized. I was trying to look up a pic earlier but kept getting loving steven universe fan art

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

theflyingexecutive posted:

yeah, it's pallet sized. I was trying to look up a pic earlier but kept getting loving steven universe fan art

this is 2200 lbs of garnet dust

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
so with that much you could cut what, 80? of those sprocket things?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Beast of Bourbon posted:

so with that much you could cut what, 80? of those sprocket things?

from their specs, 120
$2 of sand per

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Beast of Bourbon posted:

my wife was one of the first people to order a glowforge laser cutter thing and right now they're aiming for late 2017 for shipping the first pre-pro units lol

Holy poo poo, that's disappointing. I remember thinking early on that they seemed to have put some end-to-end planning and thought into this, but goddam.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Like, I mean if you got some laser cutting to do it's probably worth it to buy a Chinese one cause you can do a lot of lasering between now and end of 2017 at earliest. Like, just dump it on kijiji or at a hakkerspace or just never touch it again when the glowforge arrives and solves all your problems letting you cut happily in the middle of the kitchen.

e: I mean, I just can't fathom the idea of feeling like "I am certain I will need this particular machine in 16 months, so certain of it in fact that I will pay for it right now."

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I've thought about it and it's really not up to me to tell what or where someone else places value. I mean, poo poo I'd roll my eyes at someone suggesting I buy a decent handheld router and practice a little now instead of waiting for some smart CNC thing.

I guess I just thought they were much further along the 'figuring out how to build our product' road.

• Locked thread