Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So perhaps only one survivor in Judge Parker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Johnny Walker posted:

Haha! Women dying in childbirth is a great setup for a gag!

A woman locked in a neverending and escalating cycle of spousal abuse! Hilarious!

An abusive drunk openly cheating on his wife! My sides! They are splitting!

I gotta say, Slammy, this was a particularly dark day in your collection of comics.
Oh, I dunno. Any day where a small boy doesn't shoot himself dead with an old rifle seems sunny to me.

Zereth posted:

Do you have a source for Tinyarms-era Dick Tracy?
This is a serious suggestion, by the way. I want more tinyarms baffling nonsensical repeating timelines dick tracy in my life.
I am unaware of this phenomenon. What years are we talking?

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True (July, 1915)

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Good Time Guy (click for big) (August, 1930)

Banana Oil!

The Gay Thirties (January 1935)

They’ll Do It Everytime (December 1939)

Mopsy (June, 1940)

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

Jaf

Andy Capp (click for big) (August, 1970)

Mr. Tweedy (August, 1970)

Wee Pals (click for big) (October 1970)

True North

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Slammy posted:

I am unaware of this phenomenon. What years are we talking?

It happened! around the end of July, 2009 and ran for a while after that.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Aardmania posted:

Didn't it last for more than a week?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

catlord posted:

What.

How does he get away with this poo poo? How can old people read implications of sex in Funky Winkerbean or whatever and complain, but this just goes right over their heads?

Old people took one look at Brookemaw and decided they were too old for this poo poo

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set haggles.

Working Daze reminds you that nerd mashups are always stupid.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is not a thing I post.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Aardmania posted:

Heathcliff

This is weird and not very coherent but is pretty par for what I've seen of Heathcliff... was it always like this? (I'm generally ok with it)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

Is this a weird but tasteful dick joke?

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

ub posted:

This is weird and not very coherent but is pretty par for what I've seen of Heathcliff... was it always like this? (I'm generally ok with it)

Heathcliff is a brief glimpse into a world of madness and hallucination. Relish it.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail Meets :nallears:

"Minor eruptions in the past." The last eruption of any Hawaiian volcano that wasn't on Hawaii island itself was in the 1780s or so. That was on Maui. I know she's not on Maui. What the hell is going on?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

don Jaime posted:

"Minor eruptions in the past." The last eruption of any Hawaiian volcano that wasn't on Hawaii island itself was in the 1780s or so. That was on Maui. I know she's not on Maui. What the hell is going on?

Jam Esallen is actually a really lovely naturalist.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

don Jaime posted:

Maybe he just means flows, and not like ...eruption? gently caress, I dunno.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Adam Ames

Between Shots

Ella Cinders

im the stage door johnnie

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

And thus we reach the exciting conclusion to our Ant-Man storyline! I hope you enjoyed it and will join me again tomorrow as we begin a brand new adventure!

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is not a thing I post.

To be honest, you're a spray of light and dark pixels on a computer monitor. But then what the hell does that make me? :tinfoil:

Pogo (September 5-6, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Five (May 16-18, 1955)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

ub posted:

Heathcliff under George Gately was a pet hijinks strip for people who found Garfield too edgy. Gately's nephew, Peter Gallagher, took over the strip in 2001 and he's been steadily pushing it in a more absurdist direction, leading to panels like the one you commented on.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
It's much better then the photocopier that took over Garfield.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

That's the word I was looking for, thanks.

It's neat to see a cat vs mouse comics version of what some of the Simpsons openings have (could?) become where only traces of the original gag remain.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (August 21, 1951)

Nancy (October 5, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (June 18, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (July 3, 1923)

Barney Google (July 4, 1922)

Alley Oop (October 3, 1933)

Lil' Abner (March 2, 1937)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

How the hell did Ernie Bushmiller make so many funny strips out of the same basic cloth

like this is still basically the same "x thing for a week" format that people use nowadays and it's terrible but somehow he's making it funny???

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Shugojin posted:

How the hell did Ernie Bushmiller make so many funny strips out of the same basic cloth

like this is still basically the same "x thing for a week" format that people use nowadays and it's terrible but somehow he's making it funny???

The difference is, Classic Nancy is funny and other comics are not.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
I think it's because of the deadpan-ness of it. There usually isn't a speech bubble in Nancy Classic final panel to explain the punchline. Instead, the action just unfolds. Of course, I'm not a humor expert so there could be a more factual answer.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Selachian posted:

Also, are we going to spend all week with Gwen being a sourpuss and determinedly not enjoying this non-geek stuff? (Yes. Yes, we are.)

Personally, I'm hoping we spend all week with Gwen being a sourpuss and complaining about all the non-geek stuff, and then when they go to the comic shop, Gwen gets annoyed that the two non-geek women are complaining about it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cul de Sac

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Ginger Meggs

Heart of the City

Moose and Molly

Office Hours

Pickles

Reply All

Wizard of Id

Ziggy

Zits

Sometimes it's really obvious that these are reruns.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tiggum posted:

Sometimes it's really obvious that these are reruns.

Yeah, everyone vapes now.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Several of the name-dropped crops, while currently farmed in Hawaii, are not native. That... is bugging me a lot, actually, given the argument.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CommaToes posted:

It Happened!

Does anyone have the composite of that?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Aardmania posted:

Well I meant the entire run with that team. Bad art, weird plotting, gruesome deaths like clockwork. And sometimes somebody spends two or three weeks trying to run up some stairs with a bomb and actually ends up losing ground somehow.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

I never know whether to be relieved or depressed when confronted by evidence that past versions of my profession were just as bad as the modern day versions. Feiffer also does a really good one where a book critic reviews the Bible. Have you gotten to that yet?

It's All Right Chief Dharma

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Heart of the City

As homework, where the teacher can totally check if you're still using the calculator.

I'm picturing a huge battle between the military and the coconut rhinoceros beetle, which is about as big as that whale.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I'll never forget when somebody pointed out the strips often made just as much sense with the panels in any other order.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pearls Before Swine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv49oRmmGGs

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

As homework, where the teacher can totally check if you're still using the calculator.

The difference being if she uses it at home, her teacher can't see her doing it and don't have to care!

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

Pluggers

Arlo and Janis is obviously about sex, but Pluggers too?

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 14, 2016

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

quote:

Brdshtt GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
@Argythree
“Just really disappointed. Was actually looking forward to Toni and Brad getting married.”

C’mon, Arg – you were really disappointed when you thought it was going to be on 9/11. Now it is on a different date and you’re still disappointed. In comparison, this is happening relatively quickly compared to the time it took for Luann to go from 13 to 18. (31 years and counting)

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, about 23 hours ago
Yo, Smiley? You Forgot to add CLOWNS.
Everybody Loves CLOWNS at a Wedding.
They’re WEIRD, They’re Funny-Looking, "They* make Balloon Animals, They GIVE the Kiddies TREATS and….,WHAT??
What Do You MEAN, “Haven’t I Been Keeping Up wit Current Events???”

quote:

While I am sure this will lead to an eventually interesting conclusion this week, I must say that for me, personally…. I find TJ negotiating with the “Wedding Lady” to be dull.

Do not get me wrong… I like TJ as a character, and usually find when he is featured to be great fun. And I thought the prior three weeks of the “wedding planning” were done well. But, yesterday and today…. for me, have been ho-hum.

Maybe I am more like Toni than I thought…. and I just hate all the detail nonsense about weddings? :)

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, about 15 hours ago
@Bryan Shipley
“TJ is a weasel. He may be a useful one from time to time, but it doesn’t erase the fact that he is one.”

fort knox

Flying Mccoys

Dustin

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts: Year Five (May 16-18, 1955)

This one is pretty good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I wish I still had that edit that mapped out how it took Tracy over a week to draw a playing card.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Personally, I'm hoping we spend all week with Gwen being a sourpuss and complaining about all the non-geek stuff, and then when they go to the comic shop, Gwen gets annoyed that the two non-geek women are complaining about it.

I'm pretty sure that's inevitable.

dismas posted:

This one is pretty good.

I think over the last few years of Peanuts, it's clear that Talking Snoopy was not responsible for Shermy, Patty, Violet, and the other original kids being shoved into the background -- it's Lucy and, to a lesser extent, Linus who took over.

Buni

No wonder the crossdressing muffin from a few weeks ago was happy to have sprinkles. Also, Pagelow seems to be on a run of cupcake-related strips.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Defoe, once again surprisingly open-minded.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

I hope this guy ends up being the grandson of a love-child left behind by the last phantom or something.

On top of being a smug, self righteous annoying person, Gwen is also a giant

Alterian fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob