Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Z got me to watch Aquarion and Eureka 7 and I'm glad it did because those are cool and fun shows both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Policenaut posted:

The next Gundam Versus is for PlayStation 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5QaPe6YDFo

I'm pretty sure this will have a NA release. My dream of gundam vs having a north american scene will never die.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Hopefully the ten copies of Vs Force that sold here are enough to bring back Gundam games.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
The only mecha shows I've actually seen are Gurren Lagann and Eureka 7, so no matter where I start I'm gonna have issues with not recognizing the source material.

Charlie Bobson fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 13, 2016

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

I think he's asking about the plot of Z3 in particular.

god gently caress you terada, NONE of the Z games fit together original storywise

at the very least you could say the PS1/PS2 Alpha's have some recurring theme

i play super robot wars games for the story :v:

also fighting games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"I play Super Robot Wars for the story" is completely valid IMO. The goofy crossover antics are a big part of the appeal to me and the genuine attempts to redeem flawed series and emphasized their strengths is something almost entirely unique to SRW and a really cool aspect of it. They even try to do stuff with 'bad' shows and that is something you wouldn't even get from fan games where you know inevitably someone would just give in to the urge to make a series they didn't like Objectively The Worst And Everyone Hates It or something.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well good luck for them trying to do anything redeeming with Cross Ange. :gonk:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Super excited for G Gen Genesis. Do we know if there's going to be an option for subtitles for in battle stuff? I don't think I've seen anything in any videos.

Caphi posted:

[*]The Archer is lame. "Gets more power when it's outmatched" are you kidding me.

Once the stage 3 thing came up I instantly thought how outrageous Mr. Sheep would have been. One thing I thought about the Archer though, and based on the rest of Z3.2 I've probably put more thought into it than the writers, it sort of makes sense why he's such a poo poo head in the final fight with him and how despite all the things your crew say he stills go "nope I can't sorry" if the downside to the "nothing can stop me" sphere was straight up pig-headed stubbornness. Or maybe he's badly written and his sphere is the lamest one of all.

Senerio posted:

Is the Gespenst Haken good or should I toss him in the vaisaga?

Anyone can go in the Gespenst Haken and it's really good. Only 3 people can go in the Vaisaga and two of them already have super ultra good robots so putting Haken in the Vaisaga is an easy choice. It's dead late for full upgrade choice also but I've found that generally a fully upgraded unit won't need 10% more armour/hp/dodge so +1 move is my go to choice because going fast is amazing and gets you to the fight faster. Again though, the number two rule of SRW is there are very few bad choices, you can make anything work and it's impossible to do anything that makes you unable to succeed in modern games so just do whatever you feel is fun/cool/needed for you and have a good time with anime robots. S Rank terrains can be good too, but in the OG games S rank on either pilot or machine + A rank on the other gets you S rating so imo it's better to spend the PP on it rather than your full upgrade slot because you can't buy the other options. Also Calvina's upgrade gets S rank in Air and Space so you dodged a bullet on that one if you aren't allowed to reselect when it gets upgraded!

And give the Exbeins another shot, especially in Boxer form, that mode is anything but generic! I would say put anyone other than Ryoto and Rio in them (Carla has a really good time in the Boxer voiceline-wise) because they'll make anything feel mass produced. Great spells on Ryoto make him another good candidate for the back of the Type 3, but I think they might be my two least used dudes behind even Yuuki because at least he hangs out with Carla.

Charlie Bobson posted:

The only mecha shows I've actually seen are Gurren Lagann and Eureka 7, so the anywhere I start I'm gonna have issues with not recognizing the source material.

One of the joys of SRW is seeing something super cool and going "what the hell is that" and then finding out and checking out the source material You won't get the angle of seeing what they tweak storywise but it does mean all the twists and turns will be fresh!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah when I first played Alpha 1 about twelve years ago now (the Dreamcast version...) I only knew Evangelion and Macross Plus. I had seen a lot of anime but not robot anime, for some reason I didn't think of it as my thing. It became my thing.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Literally the only shows I had seen dubbed, prior to jumping on Dragonball Super because dumb nostalgia, were TTGL, Gundam 00, Gaogaigar, Shin Mazinger, and some Getter OVAs. If I ever get bit by the bug again, I'll probably beeline for VOTOMS and more Gundam.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I watched Tekkaman Blade because of W and Brain Powerd because of J.

So it's not all a plus.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
I... can't really remember the last time SRW actually pushed me to watch something. I'm usually satisfied with reading the stories in the game.

In truth, the only anime mech shows I've fully watched were the ones that played on TV when I was a kid: Gundam Wing and Patlabor.

If we expand into Sentai, I also watched Power Rangers religiously (what with being born on the tail end of the 80s) but I was first brought into the genre via Changeman and Flashman. A VHS rental place had their full series.

Edit:

poo poo, talking about it made me want my dose of nostalgia. This chorus is etched into my head to this day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzKTRJsoyvo

CRASH! CRASH! CRASH! CRASH! KIKEN NO IMI NANTE!

FLASH! FLASH! FLASH! FLASH! WASURETA NO SA!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 14, 2016

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
K and L got me into Kotetsushin Jeeg, Godannar and Linebarrels of Iron. Fortunately I read the manga instead of that terrible anime adaptation.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
...I've watched every show that's fully subbed or dubbed (or read the manga, where available/applicable) in every SRW I've played, except for God Mars, Xabungle, and the original Mazinger since it only got subbed recently.

I liked Brain Powerd and Tekkaman Blade quite a bit, it's Macross Frontier and Dancouga Nova I really hated.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Tekkaman Blade is fuckin cool :colbert:

How can you not get hype when he yells VOLETKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

KoB posted:

Tekkaman Blade is fuckin cool :colbert:

How can you not get hype when he yells VOLETKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

He said he liked Blade.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I meant to refer to Caphi specifically.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The S Rank FUBs are more for the weapons gaining S ranks than the machine itself, since a fully upgraded unit doesn't normally need more evasion or hit rate. 10% extra damage is always useful, though a lot of OG units have natural S Ranks on finishers so it's wasted on some units.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
For some reason I thought S rank for weapons was only 5% difference, but I must be thinking of just the regular bonus? I'm guessing S rank for Space is the one to pick when you go that route then considering how SRW endgame tends to go?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There's a video on Nico titled "Organic Dialogue" that's just a supercut of all of Brain Powerd's most baffling scenes, starting with Hime's "0 to 'you're my boyfriend now!' in one second" kiss and ending with that extended scene where Yuu monologues the entire plot to a sentient building.

There's nothing structurally wrong with Blade, it's just powered by that "your superpowers manifest in the most personally tragic way we could think of, just because" trope I've only grown less fond of since I watched it, and in retrospect I'm not convinced they ever had a decent idea of what to do after Blade kills Evil.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

For some reason I thought S rank for weapons was only 5% difference, but I must be thinking of just the regular bonus? I'm guessing S rank for Space is the one to pick when you go that route then considering how SRW endgame tends to go?

It might vary between games but I think S rank is usually 110%, A 100%, B 90% etc. And usually space is the way to go outside of oddballs like Alpha Gaiden. Just remember to check what natural rankings your attacks have because stuff like Funnels often have S ranks in space.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Son Ryo posted:

I liked Brain Powerd and Tekkaman Blade quite a bit, it's Macross Frontier and Dancouga Nova I really hated.
I didn't like Frontier either; what are my chances of liking Delta?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I couldn't really tell you, but I thought my chances of liking it were low enough that I've been staying far away.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've seen more people like Frontier over Delta, the latter seems to be considered very bland.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Samurai Sanders posted:

Delta has a great first 13 episodes and then it all goes crashing down.

It's so dramatic a change that there are rumors that the second cour was completely unplanned.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Brain Powerd did give us CHRISTMAS PRESENTO and that's an amazing antagonist motivation.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BlitzBlast posted:

It's so dramatic a change that there are rumors that the second cour was completely unplanned.
I had to look up "cour" I guess it's a French term used in Japanese TV to refer to half of a season? Weird.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I pretty much hate Frontier on principle after its treatment in SRW, and I don't see how any other Macross series can beat it in the 'bland' department.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I was surprised at liking Frontier, mostly because Cheryl is a surprisingly three-dimensional character and her relationship with Alto felt pretty real.

Ranka though, I didn't like.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was surprised at liking Frontier, mostly because Cheryl is a surprisingly three-dimensional character and her relationship with Alto felt pretty real.

There's a reason everyone liked beating up that giant Ranka hologram in Z2 :v:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

BlitzBlast posted:

Wait what? I ended up falling behind around episode...8, I think? so I'm not caught up.

What the hell happened between then and now? I loved what the parts I watched, what on earth went wrong?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah I was really surprised at how much I ended up liking Sheryl and how much I hated Ranka by the end of it, especially considering how my opinions on them were completely reversed at the start of the series.

Though I reckon 90% of my like for Ranka came from the association with her adoptive big brother.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 14, 2016

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

Wait what? I ended up falling behind around episode...8, I think? so I'm not caught up.

What the hell happened between then and now? I loved what the parts I watched, what on earth went wrong?

The villains start being really effective and taking control of vast swathes of space, while the heroes end up evacuating as much population as they can into their dome ship and fleeing to space to find a way to strike back. Maybe it's just because the show pushes so many "you will like this" buttons for me, but I never felt like it was too drastic a shift from what came before, just a dramatic twist, and I've loved the show as much as ever throughout.

Then again, I also liked Ranka, so...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Thr pacing is really bad and the story feels at times they think they have 40 episodes but no one told then it's only 26 yet.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
For moon dwellers is there a better route for The Paris/Karachi route split (chapters 23-25)? Looking at the cast list it splits my team almost evenly as far as units I use so which one is recommended? (Note that the only Ace Pilot I have is Calvina but I have a ton of pilots around 25-30 kills if that affects the decision)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

GilliamYaeger posted:

Nothing happened, basically.

Just 11 episodes of loving nothing.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Senerio posted:

For moon dwellers is there a better route for The Paris/Karachi route split (chapters 23-25)? Looking at the cast list it splits my team almost evenly as far as units I use so which one is recommended? (Note that the only Ace Pilot I have is Calvina but I have a ton of pilots around 25-30 kills if that affects the decision)

None of the route splits in this game matter unless you really want to unlock the Coustwell (which isn't worth using) so just pick the route with the characters/robots you like.

I went with the Paris route because it previews some Alpha 3 stuff for the next OG game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I liked Ranka in Frontier and Mirage in Delta. Sub characters all up in this.

As for watching shows because of SRW, I don't think there's anything I've seen in SRW that I hadn't already had an interest in already. I guess maybe Mazinger Zero counts, since I didn't know that was a thing, and looked up what it was about?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gundam Versus is not a port of an arcade Gundam VS game, is its own thing but will have the franchise standard 2v2 fights.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Davzz posted:

I've seen more people like Frontier over Delta, the latter seems to be considered very bland.

I liked Frontier but made it 5 episodes into Delta and decided I wasn't wasting any more time on it. But I didn't get much further in Iron Blooded Orphans and quit Q Reconguista around the 17 episode mark. I dunno if I'm finally growing up, anime isn't for me any more, or the internet has killed my attention span.

(But then I pretty much binge watched 2 seasons of Rick and Morty.... )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
I haven't watched Macross Frontier. My first exposure to it was SRW and I could not stand Alto for whatever reason. But I liked both Sheryl and Ranka in SRW, but that may be just because they are not Alto.

Actually SDF Macross is the only Macross I have seen. Will we ever see it again in a SRW game? Roy Focker, where are you? :(

Also super excited about Gundam Versus. I also must prepare myself for the eventual list of mobile suits that are only available as DLC.

• Locked thread