Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
man you had bots strafe jumping, rocket jumping, and grabbing runes in rune quake with gently caress what was it called reaper bot

http://www.quakewiki.net/quake-1-bots/

no excuse really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
In single-player, I almost got through Argent Facility and decided to start over on Nightmare. I had a lot of reloads so far but not regretting the decision. The game seems to play even better on tougher difficulties. I already had a few cases of enemies flanking me from behind, unless I was imagining things.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

nnnotime posted:

In single-player, I almost got through Argent Facility and decided to start over on Nightmare. I had a lot of reloads so far but not regretting the decision. The game seems to play even better on tougher difficulties. I already had a few cases of enemies flanking me from behind, unless I was imagining things.

You're just bad.

(Just kidding, I'm having tons of fun on hurt me plenty)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jeff Sichoe posted:

man you had bots strafe jumping, rocket jumping, and grabbing runes in rune quake with gently caress what was it called reaper bot

no excuse really
Id's "bot guy" is the lead programmer on Snapmap. That's why the bots aren't finished/included in the final game.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Jeff Sichoe posted:

no excuse really

Reaperbot doesn't strafe/circle jump or bunny hop. But given good bots which are written for a specific map, or bots that can learn a given map it's kinda sad, yeah.

edit: But at the same time; bots are bad, mm'kay. Point stands, you're right that Id are poop.

impulse 7 effect fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 11, 2016

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

impulse 7 effect posted:

Reaperbot doesn't strafe/circle jump or bunny hop. But given good bots which are written for a specific map, or bots that can learn a given map it's kinda sad, yeah.

edit: But at the same time; bots are bad, mm'kay. Point stands, you're right that Id are poop.
Sure they do. I remember fighting reaperbots when I was a young child, they never missed and would pretty much charge at you and circlestrafe you to death.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

When you guys said that the difficulty really spikes on Nightmare mode, you really meant it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I'm going through Nightmare mode now and it's brutal. Imps become the most dangerous enemy by far. I got stuck for awhile at the first big fight after you get the BFG (area with the elevator and two teleporters). Recently got passed it though.

Doom is good.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Doc Friday posted:

When you guys said that the difficulty really spikes on Nightmare mode, you really meant it.
Yeah, but it's the good-kind of spike :black101: Pretty soon you'll really enjoy it.

Speaking of spiking it up, this guy did a speed-run of Ultra Nightmare in about 1 hour 16 minutes, (back in May 2016). I only skimmed through the first few parts of the video but it was really impressive from what I saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JvMPMo8INI

Amazing to me is that I didn't see a single glory-kill from him until about 13 minutes in, I assume since he was conserving time. I didn't watch the entire video since I've only gotten thru a third of the game (taking my time to enjoy it, OK?).

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I started up a game on nightmare just to see what the fuss was about.

1st gore nest, after you get the shotgut, I blow up a barrel to clear the zombies around it.

34 health left.

gently caress

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/2016/09/09/doom-2016-graphics-study/

Really excellent breakdown of the techniques that Doom 4 uses to render, pretty drat interesting if its your sort of thing

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Finally beat doom. Good poo poo

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I still can't get over how good the guns are in this game. I could have fun just standing still firing them into walls.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Guess what.

Doom is good.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Guw posted:

Guess what.

Doom is good.

Doom is good?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

SinineSiil posted:

Doom is good?

Can confirm this.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The only problem with Doom is that there isn't More Doom.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

To be fair, that's a pretty big problem.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Yodzilla posted:

Personally I think it's the multiplayer

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
My only problem with Doom is that once you fill out your arsenal/upgrades and start doing laps around arenas like a racing sim the game largely runs out of ways to challenge you (aside from sniper imps on nightmare). On my subsequent playthroughs I don't think I ever took a hit from a revenant or had a hellknight last longer than 5 seconds with the burst shotgun.

Some of this can be remedied a bit by handicapping yourself, but I hope id tries to improve on the combat in the future and shakes up playstyles with new enemies/behaviors.

Like, I dunno, an archvile variant that tries to cut off the player with walls of fire or revenants that can actually hit the player or use their jetpack in a non-retarded manner

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In close quarters the pinky demons are tough to deal with. At least for me and my 15 year videogame hiatus reflexes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jonathan posted:

In close quarters the pinky demons are tough to deal with. At least for me and my 15 year videogame hiatus reflexes.

Chainsaw :getin:

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Sestze posted:

Sure they do. I remember fighting reaperbots when I was a young child, they never missed and would pretty much charge at you and circlestrafe you to death.

Yeah, they were nasty as hell. Circle or strafe jump is turning and strafing into a jump to accelerate it; usually used to set off some bunny hopping or hop over to get around to the 100 health on dm2. Circle strafing is something else and you're right, bots were good at it :)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Chainsawing pinkies is like a race between you and the damage-causing hitbox on the front of the pinky. If you strike first, you chainsaw it to bits, and if you bump into the head first, you explode into giblets.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chainsawing is very important to me and my friend the Doom Slayer

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

jonathan posted:

You sawed the demons. If you don't have the saw, chaingun inflicts high pain chance against them.

EDIT: Oh whoops, this is the Doom 2016 thread, not the Early FPS Megathread. Point still stands, you sawed the demons.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > DO4M - The Chaingun Inflicts High Pain Chance

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

They had a stream today showing off the deathmatch mode and new score-attack mode *dull hoorays heard in distance*

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Found a neat glitch. Those floating bot things that unlock your weapon and then you punch it. Well in one level it takes off and then you find it as a secret by using a crane to move a platform to get to it.

Ok well I ran up to it at the beginning before It floated off, I managed to double jump to it and hit the button. I got stuck to it and it carried me all the way up to the secret area.

In the same level there is a platform you can stand on and all the enemies stop moving. You can just kill them. The ones who through fireballs will still shoot at you but won't move.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

jonathan posted:

Found a neat glitch. Those floating bot things that unlock your weapon and then you punch it. Well in one level it takes off and then you find it as a secret by using a crane to move a platform to get to it.

Ok well I ran up to it at the beginning before It floated off, I managed to double jump to it and hit the button. I got stuck to it and it carried me all the way up to the secret area.

I've never not done this, I'm surprised they didn't catch it in testing.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

"Known glitch:. Too fun to fix"

Just like the giants sending people a million miles in the air in Skyrim.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
strafe jumping is a physics glitch so maybe that's how computer games evolve

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Tribes skiing too, it's a glitch that as far as I'm aware is integral to how it played once people adopted it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

"Known glitch:. Too fun to fix"

Just like the giants sending people a million miles in the air in Skyrim.

Afaik that got fixed... Or one of the unofficial bugfix mods did because they hate fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shoehead posted:

Afaik that got fixed... Or one of the unofficial bugfix mods did because they hate fun.

A mod must have, one of the first things that happened to me when replaying Skyrim a few months ago was being sent into the stratosphere.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
do the new id tech engines have the same fps / player movement quirks as q2 / q3?

Ie setting frame rate to a specific number (I think 125 rings a bell) and you get a distinct increase in jump height and all that?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Jeff Sichoe posted:

do the new id tech engines have the same fps / player movement quirks as q2 / q3?

Ie setting frame rate to a specific number (I think 125 rings a bell) and you get a distinct increase in jump height and all that?

I remember for team fortress classic that setting your FPS to either 20 or 100 for some reason would make your Assault Cannon fire 40% faster.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Also in the new Fallouts you can pick stuff up without 'stealing it' so you can empty shops and such by carrying everything to the bathroom and then placing it into your inventory, just like I do at Target.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Back then internal game logic would run at whatever your fps was, and doing certain calculations a specific x times per second would cause an answer that would be ever so slightly different, which would be enough in certain cases to cause a number to round up rather than down.

This is why in q3 setting your fps to certain levels would make you jump slightly higher which in some cases had lots of tactical implications.

Modern engines including this one decoupled game logic from rendering, as a result important back end will run at a steady speed, so there will be less quirks overall.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Also in the new Fallouts you can pick stuff up without 'stealing it' so you can empty shops and such by carrying everything to the bathroom and then placing it into your inventory, just like I do at Target.

In Skyrim you can also just put a bucket over the shopkeeper's head.