Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Fangz posted:

Well, consider that the 76mm and 85mm used by the T34 used the same ammo as their standard 76mm and 85mm field guns.

To add though, this differs by nation. The 75mm guns used by the Panthers didn't even share ammo with the Germans' 75mm anti-tank guns. Hey, throwing in an additional ammo type or three shouldn't be an issue for the superior german logistics, rigggght? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

Well, consider that the 76mm and 85mm used by the T34 used the same ammo as their standard 76mm and 85mm field guns.

The 52-K was an AA gun, the D-44 was an anti-tank gun, neither was made for indirect fire.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Trin Tragula posted:

dude

how can you post this but not mention the sword which is also a matchlock pistol and there's a small watch on the end of the pommel and also it has an extra compartment at the top of the scabbard which holds your racing spoon and a small complete set of tools for working out the bore of a cannon and which direction you should point it???

(I am not making that up.)

How can you mention the sword and not post a picture of it?!! C'mon, man!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

The 52-K was an AA gun, the D-44 was an anti-tank gun, neither was made for indirect fire.

Alright, only the 76mm varieties then.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

10 Beers posted:

How can you mention the sword and not post a picture of it?!! C'mon, man!

It is a Cool and Good museum and you should support it by travelling to Dresden and paying the entry fee :colbert:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Trin Tragula posted:

It is a Cool and Good museum and you should support it by travelling to Dresden and paying the entry fee :colbert:

Ich verstehe nur ein bissen und spreche kein Deutsch.

I have no loving clue if that's right or not.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

xthetenth posted:

Ich verstehe nur ein bissen und spreche kein Deutsch.

I have no loving clue if that's right or not.

Speako no Krauto, but if you can't look at a sword that also does eight other things or a four-barrelled matchlock pistol and enjoy yourself without a sign that says "four-barreled matchlock pistol", I don't know what to tell you

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Trin Tragula posted:

Speako no Krauto, but if you can't look at a sword that also does eight other things or a four-barrelled matchlock pistol and enjoy yourself without a sign that says "four-barreled matchlock pistol", I don't know what to tell you

But if I can't speak the language how do I avoid the foraging mercenaries.

(I feel super weird not speaking the language when I go somewhere)

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Trin Tragula posted:

Actually hoping to go to Germany for my honeymoon next year. I'll put it on the list!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Speako no Krauto

You've been in amongst the tommies at Wipers too long mate

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

OwlFancier posted:

As in, I thought that they actually lost velocity sufficiently that they became non-lethal, like being pelted with metallic hailstones.

Though I may be conflating that with some insane idea to fire up into the air to drop rounds into the trench.

Unless you fire a gun at a perfect vertical angle so that the bullet is just tumbling as it returns to earth it will be capable of killing someone on the way down. People get killed all the time by celebratory gunfire shot in the general direction of "45 degrees above horizon thataway."

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

xthetenth posted:

But if I can't speak the language how do I avoid the foraging mercenaries

I advise not avoiding them, they're totally chill as long as you drink some beer and laugh when it seems indicated to do so

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Unless you fire a gun at a perfect vertical angle so that the bullet is just tumbling as it returns to earth it will be capable of killing someone on the way down. People get killed all the time by celebratory gunfire shot in the general direction of "45 degrees above horizon thataway."

I thought that was tested and a bullet does not have sufficient terminal velocity to kill someone?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This seems like a good a thread to post this in as any: it seems a legendary treasure gallon, sunk 1708 by the Royal Navy in the Caribbean, has been found. How much treasure? somewhere in the realm of $4-17 billion?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I thought that was tested and a bullet does not have sufficient terminal velocity to kill someone?

A bullet fired at any angle but 90 isn't going to be falling at terminal velocity, it's going to be on a ballistic trajectory with the correct end still pointing forward.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Even a little angle and the bullet is going to still have a lot of lateral energy.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Trin Tragula posted:

dude

how can you post this but not mention the sword which is also a matchlock pistol and there's a small watch on the end of the pommel and also it has an extra compartment at the top of the scabbard which holds your racing spoon and a small complete set of tools for working out the bore of a cannon and which direction you should point it???

(I am not making that up.)

How about the pistol that's also an ornate wind-up clockwork with a tiny little clockwork bird that pops out of the works and sings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd8SaNzeZqk

Someone built a cuckoo Glock.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

How about the pistol that's also an ornate wind-up clockwork with a tiny little clockwork bird that pops out of the works and sings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd8SaNzeZqk

Someone built a cuckoo Glock.

lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LostCosmonaut posted:

A bullet fired at any angle but 90 isn't going to be falling at terminal velocity, it's going to be on a ballistic trajectory with the correct end still pointing forward.

My physics is lacking but I would have thought that a lot of high angles would allow the bullet to reach terminal velocity, as the proportion of the muzzle velocity lost to gravity would approach 100% as you approach 90 degrees perpendicular to the ground.

So, the angle at which the bullet would be limited to terminal velocity would be the fraction of 90 degrees equal to the fraction the bullet's terminal velocity is, of the muzzle velocity, minus the duration at which the bullet's deceleration in-air would also slow it to terminal velocity over the duration of its arc.

I wouldn't be able to calculate it but I would have thought it'd be a problem with a lot of higher angled shooting, for any projectile that isn't either heavy, or reliant on non-kinetic properties to do damage (eg, an artillery shell)

If I knew how to calculate it and had the relevant information for different ammunition I'd work it out for a few different ammo types with wolfram alpha.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 13, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

My physics is lacking but I would have thought that a lot of high angles would allow the bullet to reach terminal velocity, as the proportion of the muzzle velocity lost to gravity would approach 100% as you approach 90 degrees perpendicular to the ground.

So, the angle at which the bullet would be limited to terminal velocity would be the fraction of 90 degrees equal to the fraction the bullet's terminal velocity is, of the muzzle velocity, minus the duration at which the bullet's deceleration in-air would also slow it to terminal velocity over the duration of its arc.

I wouldn't be able to calculate it but I would have thought it'd be a problem with a lot of higher angled shooting, for any projectile that isn't either heavy, or reliant on non-kinetic properties to do damage (eg, an artillery shell)

If I knew how to calculate it and had the relevant information for different ammunition I'd work it out for a few different ammo types with wolfram alpha.

Terminal velocity isn't the same for every body in motion. Drag, the density of the object, and other stuff all play a big role. A bullet that is still moving nose-forward and is spin stabilized is going to be moving along faster than one that's tumbling. Denser, more compact objects will also have a higher terminal velocity. My physics is seriously lacking so I can't really go into the science details and am just parroting what I've read people who DO know that poo poo write. Note that the wikipedia article says that someone calculated that a .30-06 rifle round can still be moving 300 FPS at terminal velocity, which is plenty fast to kill someone. To put things into perspective a .45 out of a pistol is moving at ~800 feet per second at the muzzle with a bullet that weighs in the same ballpark as a lot of common rifle rounds.

It's not as deadly as getting shot by the same bullet at muzzle velocity, but it's also not the annoying to mildly dangerous lead rain that you seem to be imagining.

There's also the buckets of anecdotal evidence out there of people being seriously injured or killed by celebratory gunfire. It's quite the problem in areas of central asia and the Balkans.

edit: google to the rescue:

Use the terminal velocity formula, v = the square root of ((2*m*g)/(ρ*A*C)).
m = mass of the falling object.
g = the acceleration due to gravity.
ρ = the density of the fluid the object is falling through.
A = the projected area of the object.
C = the drag coefficient

bullets are dense with a relatively low surface area and, if they're still spin stabilized and falling nose first (as they will be in anything but a near 90 degree shot) will have a low drag coefficient.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 13, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Enh, I've seen some compelling videos on YouTube showing people doing long range shots demonstrating that rifle rounds crossing below the sound barrier start tumbling and losing speed rapidly.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Fangz posted:

Enh, I've seen some compelling videos on YouTube showing people doing long range shots demonstrating that rifle rounds crossing below the sound barrier start tumbling and losing speed rapidly.

Is that compelling evidence taofledermaus

If not, why not

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fangz posted:

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it causes it to veer off the desired course (which is a big deal for those kinds of insane long range target shots) but doesn't actually tumble. It's also really dependent on bullet shape. Phone posting so gently caress trying to get links to work, but google "transonic ballistics" to read more about it than you probably want to.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

If your round's CG shifts behind the center of pressure (due to going subsonic or whatever), it's probably going to tumble.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To make up for my terrible amateur ballistics spergery and in keeping with the idea of bullets falling out of the sky I will share a perennial favorite image:

I consider this to be a much superior method of shooting people you may not otherwise be able to reach.

Especially as if 88 submachineguns are not sufficient the craft would also have carried a 76mm cannon in the belly, or two pairs of 37mm and 45mm cannons.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 14, 2016

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Tias posted:

What's a racing spoon?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

LostCosmonaut posted:

If your round's CG shifts behind the center of pressure (due to going subsonic or whatever), it's probably going to tumble.

A rifle bullet starts out with the CG behind the CP, which is why you need to spin it to keep it stable and pointing in roughly the right direction.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

OwlFancier posted:

To make up for my terrible amateur ballistics spergery and in keeping with the idea of bullets falling out of the sky I will share a perennial favorite image:

I consider this to be a much superior method of shooting people you may not otherwise be able to reach.

Especially as if 88 submachineguns are not sufficient the craft would also have carried a 76mm cannon in the belly, or two pairs of 37mm and 45mm cannons.

You know what they say about asking a Russian to design a machine that massacres Germans.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7996596

Here is a study on the dangers of falling bullets. It can be summed up as the velocity it hits with is lower, but that's off set by the fact that a bullet going downward has a higher probability of striking the head. Note that the 118 cases were cases at King/Drew Medical Center in LA over 7 year. So physics arguments aside, it caused enough fatalities in one LA ER alone to be grounds to write a paper on the subject.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

There's also the psychological factor to consider. Imagine you're some poor sap caught in one of those barrages, and there are hundreds of bullets of indeterminate origin striking the ground in all around you. "They're probably not going fast enough to kill you" is not much of a reassurance, and you'll really not want to go out there and put that to the test with your own head. And that's really the goal with suppressive fire, as long as the enemy soldiers in the targeted area are kept from moving about much, it's working.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

FAUXTON posted:

You know what they say about asking a Russian to design a machine that massacres Germans.

something something you shoot them because they have swords! something something

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

something something you shoot them because they have swords! something something

Thank you.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FAUXTON posted:

Neal Stephenson is a hack. That's what you say.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
On the IF by tanks thing: Israel is rather infamous for using tank guns as artillery, as late as 2015, maybe even this year.

It is rather inaccurate, but in keeping with their doctrine of collective punishment, hitting civilians is a feature, not a bug..

What the hell :D

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

What the hell :D
do not attempt to understand the english

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

HEY GAL posted:

do not attempt to understand the english

I think that that spoon thing was an Oxford or Cambridge tradition, the one who passed the annual final exams with the lowest still passing grade was given a spoon by other students. It stopped at some point when the spoons got stupidly big and the faculty thought they were dangerous.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Now I'm curious what the Greek on the handle says.

(Of course it's going to be inscribed in Greek, it's Oxbridge :wotwot: ...)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Neal Stephenson is a hack. That's what you say.

:golfclap: would have gone with sword-worshipping navel-gazing Mary Sue hack but a hack all the same.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

bewbies posted:

It was really common in WW2 and Korea, but modern tanks (at least in the US) don't do it at all...the guns can't elevate enough, they don't use HE rounds, and the firepower of a tank's main gun is pretty puny compared to a modern howitzer or mortar.

When you can't elevate the gun, you elevate the tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Polish army museum! The inside is overwhelming (I don't think I'm capable of giving a poo poo about bolt-action rifles anymore) and confusingly laid, snd not much in the way of English text. A poo poo ton of gear dating abck to X century, more armor and uniforms and guns than you can shake a pike at. Would recommend.

Happy to have finally seen a Sherman and a Centurion.

Back to page 81 with me.