Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The screen I got when my VMU was full the first time I played Dreamcast Resident Evil 3. Thanks, Capcom.

I also recall Zelda 2 game overs being not so nice. Motivation to GIT GUD

I actually picked the softlock badend the first time I made it to the Dragonlord. It wasn't an accident but I have no idea why I thought that was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There was a discussion with Yuji Hori about Dragon Quest and DQVII at PAX today hosted by Nintendo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZhKQ6MpT4
Hori continues the trend of Japanese game developers aging incredibly well.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
So right after Uptaten Towers and ghostbusting a bunch of specters, the very next story beat is going to a magical fearie world? Can't say I was expecting this at all.

In other news, sprite work for the DS is gorgeous and I'm no longer conflicted about the PS2 graphics.

edit: gently caress those ice goblin enemy parties are cute.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 8, 2016

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Did they appear in the group formation?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Detective No. 27 posted:

There was a discussion with Yuji Hori about Dragon Quest and DQVII at PAX today hosted by Nintendo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZhKQ6MpT4
Hori continues the trend of Japanese game developers aging incredibly well.

Unfortunately that's not Yuji Hori. It's Noriyoshi Fujimoto. They show a picture of Hori at the beginning, and he doesn't look nearly as young as Fujimoto.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
DQ ii is a bit annoying especially when you get the boat since so much opens at once. Even with a guide I'm having trouble since the translation I use has completely different names for everything.

I remember having similar feelings when I rented it as a kid and quit after getting the boat. I have no idea how anyone made it through without a guide even then, I guess people were a lot more patient.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

DQ ii is a bit annoying especially when you get the boat since so much opens at once. Even with a guide I'm having trouble since the translation I use has completely different names for everything.

I remember having similar feelings when I rented it as a kid and quit after getting the boat. I have no idea how anyone made it through without a guide even then, I guess people were a lot more patient.

Didn't old games like these usually have a map in the box when you bought them new or if you were really Really lucky when bought used?

I remember relying on maps a whole lot. It helped you with the overworld but you were on your own in dungeons.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
2-4 all came with world maps, yeah. Hell, 3 had a full game walkthrough. But as notorious as rented games were for lacking even an instruction booklet, I wouldn't be surprised if most people who rented them never saw any of that.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Fenrir posted:

2-4 all came with world maps, yeah. Hell, 3 had a full game walkthrough. But as notorious as rented games were for lacking even an instruction booklet, I wouldn't be surprised if most people who rented them never saw any of that.

They had really great pack-ins. One side was a world map, and the other side was a listing of all the items and equipment with little pictures of each one. I remember our local video store had copies with the maps, each time you rented it the map was a little more tattered and taped back together.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Last Celebration posted:

Did they appear in the group formation?

Yup, a whole group of Pip Fighter, Battle Pip, Epipany, and Wiz Pip. Annnnnnd as I was typing this I remembered this game has a monster recruitment system, I'm gonna get some Pips for loving sure.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Not to go too deep into spoilers, but you can't get those specific ones until way the gently caress later, since only kids can find Fairy Lea. You can pick up their summer variants though, even if it'll take a while.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Was the single tile island with the absolutely mandatory shrine on it even particularly visible on the pack-in map for 2?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

They had really great pack-ins. One side was a world map, and the other side was a listing of all the items and equipment with little pictures of each one. I remember our local video store had copies with the maps, each time you rented it the map was a little more tattered and taped back together.

We actually held onto our Dragon Warrior IV map for a good 22+ years, the rips made it the most authentic looking treasure map I could imagine. By the end it was more tape than paper.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Items, equipment and enemies. :eng101:

Kinda spoiled any sort of reveal since it was very obvious who the Big Bad was as a result. The reveal after you beat Baramos in DQ3 was probably mind-blowing for people who didn't read through the guide ahead of time though (or didn't hear about the 'title' your character is given after beating the game). When that game came out that sort of twist was probably not expected like it is today. DQ2 had Malroth after Hargon but he wasn't an unknown factor like Zoma.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Every time I play DQV, there's a part of me that keeps asking myself when I'm supposed to get to Alltrades Abbey so I can finally class change and make some of my monsters into appropriate classes until I remember that was a DQVI thing. While I love the journey in DQV, way too many monsters seem to be outclassed right off the bat when you actually manage to recruit them.

That said, I decided that I finally want to give the DQ Monster Joker 2 game a shot. But seeing as there's so many more monsters in the Pro version, would I be really missing out if I played that one instead? Like, would I still be able to figure out where I'm supposed to go and what I need to do if I can't read any of the dialogue? I know there's a patch for translating the menus and such, so that's not something I'm terribly concerned about. Do I miss out on anything else other than the expanded roster of monster if I just play the regular Joker 2?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Every time I play DQV, there's a part of me that keeps asking myself when I'm supposed to get to Alltrades Abbey so I can finally class change and make some of my monsters into appropriate classes until I remember that was a DQVI thing. While I love the journey in DQV, way too many monsters seem to be outclassed right off the bat when you actually manage to recruit them.

Doesn't matter when Pierre the Slime Knight exists. Parry! Thrust! Contratiempo! :hist101:

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Luceo posted:

Doesn't matter when Pierre the Slime Knight exists. Parry! Thrust! Contratiempo! :hist101:

No lie, I once got lucky enough to recruit 3 Slime Knights. They were pretty much consistently in my party up until I got the kids in the latter chapter.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Any word on whether they'll release the iOS version of VII in the west with the new localization?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Given they provided an entirely new localization for 1-3 and implemented 4's party chat, it'd be really bizarre if they didn't.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If they do it's not going to be for a fair while, as it'd cannibalize the 3DS version, which is a higher price than a phone release would be.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
:siren: One week until DQVII 3DS is released in NA :siren:
:dance:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

xov posted:

Already pre-ordered via Amazon and I'm looking forward to putting it in my backlog with everything else. :sigh:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

dragon warrior vii was the first rpg i ever played, i think
unless pokemon counts? i'm glad to see the remake see it's way over here, hopefully the changes are conducive to adult me not having so much free time anymore

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

xov posted:

You can pre-purchase it now on the eShop, since I guess Nintendo covering it means it gets that special privilege of being preloadable.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I know there's no multiplayer, but will there be recruitable party members in Dragon Quest Builder like in DQ 2 & 3? Or is it exclusively solo like in DQ 1?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

My copy of Dragon Quest Illustrations came in after 2 months.

It's so beautiful :swoon:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I want that a whole lot.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fenrir posted:

I want that a whole lot.

https://otakumode.com/shop/57329b4da04fd06009490506/Akira-Toriyama-Dragon-Quest-Illustrations

Go for it.

Wasn't as expensive as I thought it was going to be. I've never heard of Tokyo Otaku Mode before this but I can say they took really good care of packaging the book and everything. It was all bubble wrapped and the packing slip came in a cute little folder. All in all good and I'd recommend them.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 13, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Skeezy posted:

https://otakumode.com/shop/57329b4da04fd06009490506/Akira-Toriyama-Dragon-Quest-Illustrations

Go for it.

Wasn't as expensive as I thought it was going to be. I've never heard of Tokyo Otaku Mode before this but I can say they took really good care of packaging the book and everything. It was all bubble wrapped and the packing slip came in a cute little folder. All in all good and I'd recommend them.
I've bought some other stuff from them before - mostly because they were having large sales on small items - and never been dissatisfied. They're a legitimate site and their packing was good, I'd recommend it.

(that picture with the concept art for DQ2 looks hilarious)

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Skeezy posted:

Go for it.

Too rich for my blood :sigh:

I got laid off last week, so that's something I just have to pass on.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Perfect Potato posted:

I'm liking the DQVII remake (JP) so far 50 hours in but it feels like they've neutered any sort of difficulty the original might have had. I remember the temple boss before you unlock job classes was a bit of a fucker to take down but here he just sort of fell over after a few turns and barely did any damage. But it's not like you really play these games for a challenge so whatever.

Also I don't remember if this was the case in the original but when metal slimes start appearing they show up in droves in this game. It's almost like they're trying to jump on your blade's end they're so desperate to die. I find myself avoiding them outright just to stay reasonably leveled but they get mixed into regular groups frequently too so that's a losing proposition

To be honest, I don't remember the original being that hard, though I do remember there being a difficulty bump after getting class change (and the mini story before getting it, which, though it makes sense from a narrative perspective, really could do with a nerf), and I think it was mainly due to me having the 'wrong' classes at the time.

That was the point where I quit the game, but I do want to give it another try with the remake.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That book reminded me of how unappealing the main character from XI is. Hope I can use a hat to cover that heinous hair!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Man dq2 is brutal, even the SNES version. I'm almost to the cave to rohne and feel way under leveled but there's just nowhere good to grind. Feel like half of my time I spent sailing back and forth between places. Zoom spell in later games with selectable destinations is such a missed luxury.

At what point is it safe to store all my keys? Inventory space is so limited.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Bigass Moth posted:

Man dq2 is brutal, even the SNES version. I'm almost to the cave to rohne and feel way under leveled but there's just nowhere good to grind. Feel like half of my time I spent sailing back and forth between places. Zoom spell in later games with selectable destinations is such a missed luxury.

At what point is it safe to store all my keys? Inventory space is so limited.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I will freely say with no shame that DW2 on the NES was an ambitious game that was horribly balanced and you basically had to use the exploits like farming the Staff of Thunder in order to get anywhere in it, but I played the SFC version not long ago and I thought that it was a large improvement. Having the prince be actually worth a poo poo in melee makes a huge difference. I ended up doing most of my grinding in the Valley of Rhone (or whatever you call the outdoor area after That Cave) because the enemies that spam Beat/Defeat rarely do it in this version and you can spam Explodet in every encounter, then just go back to the shrine and top up.

If those enemies are giving you grief, the enemies you fight on the ocean aren't bad because they come in such large groups.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I always liked the MC from 8, his goofy yellow coat was cool and I liked his "pet" mouse were cool.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Wendell posted:

That book reminded me of how unappealing the main character from XI is. Hope I can use a hat to cover that heinous hair!

Which is the one from XI? The DQVIII hero in purple without the bandanna? :Toriyama:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Kiggles posted:

Which is the one from XI? The DQVIII hero in purple without the bandanna? :Toriyama:

Yeah, that'd be him.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Is DQ8 on PS2 a good starting point? I've only ever played DQ1 on GBC (which I enjoyed).

Should I just wait for the 3DS port of 8 and get 7 tomorrow?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Olivil posted:

Is DQ8 on PS2 a good starting point? I've only ever played DQ1 on GBC (which I enjoyed).

Should I just wait for the 3DS port of 8 and get 7 tomorrow?

8 won't be coming out for a while. I'd get 7 though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

MarcusSA posted:

8 won't be coming out for a while. I'd get 7 though!

I was really looking forward to the DQ8 port on 3DS... Then I bought DQ8 on PS2, loose disc for $5, I don't really care about the box and I'm playing it in glorious HD via PCSX2 but I'm debating whether I should jump in or wait for the port.

It looks AMAZING in PCSX2 by the way.