Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

TheParadigm posted:

on the more comedy side of things: the removing the lower arm actuator on the left arm lets you stack up 5 ballistics between the LA and the LT....for UAC2s. Up to 3 of which can be LB's, due to crit space in those locations. 13 tons for ammo and the other side of the mech.

Once ED hits: Triple UAC/10 with ~3 tons of ammo each (depending how much armor you want to shave). This will be a very good build.
Use dual UAC/10s with 2x LPL till then.

NihilCredo posted:

An 80-ton speedy XL brawler would actually fit in rather well in my stable, between the Marauder and the Stalker, and I kinda like the looks of ol' dildo arm. Is it so terrible at its job that I should sell it immediately for another chassis (which one?), or can it kinda work?

Baby Brawler

You might as well stick that engine into a Centurion CN9-D.

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

TheParadigm posted:

Question for the thread: What's the nastiest thing you can do with 9 energy slots and 38 tons? 1 each torso plus head, 3 in the LA, 2 in the RA. 28 slots.

I think its PPC's on the shoulders, larges in the head and ct, and small pulse in the arms. that leaves crits for 6 heatsinks.

3 LPL, 5 ERML, rest in heat sinks. If that doesn't fill the weight once you run out of slots, start swapping to MPLs. It'll be hot as gently caress but it'll make a mean mid range poker like the ebon jag.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Last Sunday I may or may not have made the terrible decision to grind my way to Faction Rank 6 for the extra mechbay before breaking allegiance. As a result, I'll probably earn the Zeus this week (possibly the Executioner as well, if I'm lucky with KMDDs).

An 80-ton speedy XL brawler would actually fit in rather well in my stable, between the Marauder and the Stalker, and I kinda like the looks of ol' dildo arm. Is it so terrible at its job that I should sell it immediately for another chassis (which one?), or can it kinda work?

Baby Brawler

Why not just get Battlemasters?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cease to Hope posted:

Why not just get Battlemasters?

The Battlemaster isn't XL safe at all, is it?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I got bored and bought a Warhammer (for C-Bills) but I haven't had much luck finding an effective build for it. Here's what I'm running right now.

WHM-7S

On the other hand, this Trebuchet build is working out fairly well for me.

TBT-7K

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Q_res posted:

I got bored and bought a Warhammer (for C-Bills) but I haven't had much luck finding an effective build for it. Here's what I'm running right now.
WHM-7S

I guess this is more "meta": WHM-7S

NihilCredo posted:

Not really. I guess giving the size of the CT, you'd find the Awesome to be somewhat XL safe. Though it usually can do without.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The awesome 9m can take an xl with out much problem but it's pointless on the others. With the max of a standard 300 you can still take 4 ppcs and nearly max out your slots with heat sinks.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Consider the godhands Gargoyle, 10-12 ERSL and smite the everloving poo poo out of anything that comes within range.

Alternately, a UAC/20 and a 6 ERSL on the same chassis.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I've grown quite fond of a 6 MPL Gargoyle (2 each in LA/RA and CT). Runs a bit hot, but the 2 Energy Arms do have a nice Hitpoint bonus.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

The gargoyle has pretty respectable structure quirks all round, its very tough for an 80 ton assault.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

I've heard its fairly okay with an XL actually. All the advice i've ever heard for them was 'put an xl350 in and never look back', but that may be centric to the 2C which has the amazing structure quirks and can run the 5 lpl off of it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Frankly I think the "avoid IS XL forever and ever" advice that's prevalent in this thread is mostly because most goons love brawling above all else. Some designs are going to lose a torso if they get looked at funny, but for most it's a tradeoff. If you can get enough speed to be able to reposition when need be and you're going to be carrying a shitload more firepower and heat capacity, it can frequently be worthwhile. You end up as more of a glass cannon, but it's not the end of the world.

Again, if you're going to be brawling then yeah go standard engine, dead side if possible, and make them eat through an arm and a torso before putting you down. If it's something with high-ish mounts or that is going to be standing off at medium range? loving pack on all the guns you can carry. I know in a battlemaster I'd much rather have the extra engine to be able to hill hump more effectively at 300m than the ability to stay alive with half my weapons already gone.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So brawling griffins should run std engines huh. I'm not sure that's possible.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

It is, you'll just be slower. The resize made them squishy so carrying an XL is basically asking to die.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Artificer posted:

Quite possible, even on the missile-heavy variants. I don't have Griffins so not sure if it's worth the tradeoff.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Q_res posted:

WHM-7S
I have an inordinate amount of fun with this WHM-7s: LL Hammer

The duration and reduced heat gen make large lasers awesome.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Frankly I think the "avoid IS XL forever and ever" advice that's prevalent in this thread is mostly because most goons love brawling above all else. Some designs are going to lose a torso if they get looked at funny, but for most it's a tradeoff. If you can get enough speed to be able to reposition when need be and you're going to be carrying a shitload more firepower and heat capacity, it can frequently be worthwhile. You end up as more of a glass cannon, but it's not the end of the world.

Again, if you're going to be brawling then yeah go standard engine, dead side if possible, and make them eat through an arm and a torso before putting you down. If it's something with high-ish mounts or that is going to be standing off at medium range? loving pack on all the guns you can carry. I know in a battlemaster I'd much rather have the extra engine to be able to hill hump more effectively at 300m than the ability to stay alive with half my weapons already gone.
Some mechs are also wide as a barn and cannot shield their torsos very effectively, especially when you're in an assault and sometimes you just need to take hits for the team. The Battlemaster has great shield arms and a huge engine cap but it's still a big target and it's weapon mounts, while high, still make you a big target even when hill humping.
But hey, if XL works for you, it works for you.

Find what works for you and get better at it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Frankly I think the "avoid IS XL forever and ever" advice that's prevalent in this thread is mostly because most goons love brawling above all else.

I brawl with XLs. No way to counter clan firepower and prevent them from escaping without one.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Great Beer posted:

I brawl with XLs. No way to counter clan firepower and prevent them from escaping without one.

Speed is more important than survivability honestly

brawling in Griffins and Shadow Hawks with XL is totally fine and probably preferred

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

NihilCredo posted:

The 2C is very XL safe, the others you should run a standard in.
Here is the 5LPL build, it is very good: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=310&l=1d8b8c45bb717ccd1f89a45cfac14ce1615d0ff6

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Great Beer posted:

Maybe... maybe the trick there is to stop using IS mechs.

I mean I love them too but sometimes I like to use a mech which is actually good.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
LRM Mechs are only good for LRMs anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn7_ILqVmyA
(This only works if the enemy team fails to kill your spotters)

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Though some IS mechs are okay. I'm currently having a bit of fun in: AWS-8Q - 4 PPCs, 6.65 heat each - Cool stuff. It's hardly most optimal, but does run quite cool. Even firing all 4 PPCs at once is not shutting you down (~70% heat). And I don't even have gone through all Basic Skills yet. It can die quite fast though. But it's not terribly slow of an IS Assault (especially with a STD engine). And the whole left side is a big shield. On the other hand: The short range punch is kinda wimpy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I tried the game again, after a long gap.

Did they change literally everything? It feels like a totally different game.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Arquinsiel posted:

I tried the game again, after a long gap.

Did they change literally everything? It feels like a totally different game.

Alpine is pretty much unchanged. Please don't hate me. And Ghost heat does still exist. But it wil soon be "verschlimmbessert". (German mashup (slang) of verschlimmern (make worse) and verbessern (improve), which is used when something gets changed with the pretense of making everything better. But it's obivously being made worse). Wow, expanded my monthly supply of parenthesis.

EDIT
There is even a wiktionary entry for that: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/verschlimmbessern (created in the 18th Century).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Verschlimmbessert seems to be right. Game felt "off" in most ways. Mechs felt slow and clunky, locking enemies was difficult to impossible, general feeling of "wrong".

At least the mechlab is marginally better though!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Maybe... maybe the trick there is to stop using IS mechs.

I mean I love them too but sometimes I like to use a mech which is actually good.

And give up IS ballistics and SRMs? Never.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Great Beer posted:

And give up IS ballistics and SRMs? Never.

On that note, over the last couple of weeks the Miserauder (Marauder with asym 40PPFLD) has finally started clicking for me. The trick was to go back to PPCs instead of LPLs, despite the heat issues, because even a split-second of extra exposure makes a huge difference, and then to git gud at twisting REALLY aggressively and fast, like before you even realise if you've nailed the CT or not (you can figure that out later from the blinking paperdoll).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Alpine is pretty much unchanged.

Eh, they did make it slightly better by shuffling the spawns around.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I was hesitant with the 40 alpha stalker because minimum distance but fortunately most engagement ranges are longer.

Wish the AC 20 didnt only have a 297m max effective though. It does hurt the damage.

Edit: with the locust, Centurion, griffin, stalker, and atlas I feel like I've covered most roles and all weight classes for the IS. I'm missing the shadowhawk I guess for jump capable medium with ballistics I guess and maybe the Raven for heavier side of lights?

And I guess maybe thunderbolt/battlemaster/banshee/black knight for dedicated heavy laser vomit but the Stalker 3F seems to do ok for that role with 3 lpl and 3 mediums, even if it isn't as quirked for it as the Battlemasters are.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 14, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Artificer posted:

I was hesitant with the 40 alpha stalker because minimum distance but fortunately most engagement ranges are longer.

Wish the AC 20 didnt only have a 297m max effective though. It does hurt the damage.

Edit: with the locust, Centurion, griffin, stalker, and atlas I feel like I've covered most roles and all weight classes for the IS. I'm missing the shadowhawk I guess for jump capable medium with ballistics I guess and maybe the Raven for heavier side of lights?

And I guess maybe thunderbolt/battlemaster/banshee/black knight for dedicated heavy laser vomit but the Stalker 3F seems to do ok for that role with 3 lpl and 3 mediums, even if it isn't as quirked for it as the Battlemasters are.

If the choice is between the Battlemaster or the Stalker I would pick the Battlemaster any day.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Artificer posted:

You should try the dakka hill-humpers. Blackjack, Jagermech, and the Rifleman if it ever gets quirked into not sucking.

Plinking at assaults nonstop while easily dodging return fire by walking back 50cm is hilarious, and it made most of my last weekend's Invasion games a lot more bearable.

The Blackjack has a really good PPC poptart variant, too.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

TjyvTompa posted:

If the choice is between the Battlemaster or the Stalker I would pick the Battlemaster any day.

Yeah I like my battlemaster even if it is sniper shitfest cancer.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

I mean yeah I bet. Battlemasters as a chassis though are only energy boats right? vOv

I will have to get around to looking at Blackjacks too.

Edit: bbbuuuuut I also want to look at the Hunchback IIc, and Stormcrow, and Hellbringer. Heavy with ECM sounds fun.

Hellbringers are sort of like Ebon Jags but with ECM on top, aren't they?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 14, 2016

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Artificer posted:

I mean yeah I bet. Battlemasters as a chassis though are only energy boats right? vOv

I will have to get around to looking at Blackjacks too.

Edit: bbbuuuuut I also want to look at the Hunchback IIc, and Stormcrow, and Hellbringer. Heavy with ECM sounds fun.

Hellbringers are sort of like Ebon Jags but with ECM on top, aren't they?

They have less tonnage available, due to not having Endo-Steel and Ferro-Fibrous armor. Thus you have all of the space and none (this is a lie) of the tons available. It's pretty good with a lot of Energy weapons. Also goes nice with a side order of ballistics. LB-20X with 2x MPL, 2x SPL is a derp build of mine.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Ah so thats what the difference is between the two. I was just thinking goddamn the Jag is just inferior to the Hellbringer.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Artificer posted:

Ah so thats what the difference is between the two. I was just thinking goddamn the Jag is just inferior to the Hellbringer.

The hellbringer has ECM and The Best Shoulder In The Game and no weight saving gear.

The Ebon Jaguar is the same weight, has clan erro and ferro, is a short pancake, and has Really Nicely High Mounted Everything.

After maxing armor, i think the EBJ has like 5 and a half tons on the hellbringer. But no ecm

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Artificer posted:

they are both good get whatever you think looks cooler

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015
EJ has amazing mount locations with a nice low profile. It can also carry more weight than a Timber. It has an phenomenal array of mounts so that it can do any setup you want. 2x UAC 10 with SL backup? You bet. Lazer spam with kickass mounts for humping? Yep. Wanna do an LRM 60 build like an rear end in a top hat? EJ can do it.

Hellbringer has WAAAAYYYY less tonnage and runs a LOT hotter. But it has what is probably the best left torso in the game with ECM and I think 3 energy mounts. It's easy to make a dead side as well. It can do dual UAC 10's but it makes sacrifices to do so. Not much in the way of missile slots. I personally love the LB20x and 5 ML build. You can do 6 if you are careful. It has a lot less armor than the EJ so it's fragile but.....well ECM.

Both are great mechs and examples how strong the clan mechs can be. I think I actually prefer the EJ to the Timber. But the Timber has JJ and the HB and EJ do not.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I own both. For quick play, I'd say EBJ all the way. It's a fantastic peeker/poker (not that the HBR is bad, assuming you are using the torso mounted guns anyway) turns well, has all the tonnage available. The only real drawback the mech has is having a rather large CT and no structure quirks for it. Even twisting won't save you, though as usual it helps.

The HBR would absolutely be my pick for CW though. It has a much more limited set of loadouts it can pull off, both because it lacks the tonnage and because of hardpoints. It doesn't do missiles as well as the EBJ (though nobody runs missiles on their EBJ because LRMs are a waste on a platform like this, and SRMs are bad on something so squishy) but has enough ballistic hardpoints that you can run paired AC5s with some lasers or a single big ballistic with lasers. The one big drawback to the HBR is that every single good build hinges on taking the GodShoulder LT with three relatively high energy mounts as well as ECM. The thing is, everyone knows that's where everything you value is, so it gets targeted like you're in a Hunchback, but without the huge structure quirks. You will have a very bad time in this mech if you don't know how to twist and shield, unless your opponents are dumb. On the other hand, the HBR's shape and hitboxes make it perfect for twisting and shielding, and you can easily take six energy hardpoints between Head/LT/LA for asymmetrical laser builds. Because of this mech's exceptional peeking game, reliance on energy weapons, longevity, and ECM, it's perfect for CW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Though some IS mechs are okay. I'm currently having a bit of fun in: AWS-8Q - 4 PPCs, 6.65 heat each - Cool stuff. It's hardly most optimal, but does run quite cool. Even firing all 4 PPCs at once is not shutting you down (~70% heat). And I don't even have gone through all Basic Skills yet. It can die quite fast though. But it's not terribly slow of an IS Assault (especially with a STD engine). And the whole left side is a big shield. On the other hand: The short range punch is kinda wimpy.

That sounds great, I can't wait to try this. I had no idea this was possible again in this mech.

• Locked thread