Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Several different plumbers in two very different areas dealing with very different houses have all suggested avoiding tankless. It seems like retailers push them but plumbers aren't fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I got the insulation work done.

It is amazing. My house has stayed a very even temperature throughout the day and it's even more soundproof. It has gotten up to 79, but it's a very noticeable difference without any sort of whole house system.

Went from 2" rock wool to 15" green cellulose fiber, sealed the skylight appropriately, added top hats to the recessed lighting, and installed a ton of attic hatch insulation. 1411 feet for 1800. So glad I did it. Get your attics insulated!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

I also had to extend the pigtails on almost every outlet I touched, because there was generally no extra slack whatsoever. I guess in 1958 they didn't believe in leaving extra? Who knows. :shrug:

I had the exact same problem, on both the fifties wiring and the most recent 2007 wiring revamp. Even running new wiring is a pain in the butt from all the old poo poo in the walls, such as disconnected gas lighting lines and knob and tube insulators. The joys of living in a house built before electricity came to the area :(

melon cat posted:

Yeah, it's very common here in Ontario Canada. Only recently have people started to question whether or not renting the heater is a good idea over the long term.

I just checked with Reliance (the guys we rent from) and it would cost us either $780 to buy the water heater, or they can uninstall and remove it for $160. The heater's nearly 10 years old now, so we might as well get it removed, and get a better, newer one (we're considering doing it through Costco, who sells Rheem heaters). It'd cost about $1800 for the brand new installation. And I guess tankless heating is still early technology, so we'll pass on that.

I've heard pretty much the same thing about tankless, that they just don't have the proven track record of traditional water heaters. Especially gas heaters, those can go on thirty years with the right maintenance.

1800$ though is absolutely crazy... Home Depot sells a super efficient 12 year 40 gallon Rheem for 604$, and water heaters are simple to install yourself. Plus natural gas replenishes fast, so even with kids on down the line I doubt I'd need a larger tank.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Related to the thread title:

What do you do when the "universal" grill rotisserie is anything but, and won't remotely fit on your grill?

You improvise:

That was a "spur of the moment, already promised my fiance a smoked rotisserie chicken tonight" ghetto solution. I'll have to decide if I'm going to rig up something better and more permanent, or just clean it really well and return it and buy the twice-as-expensive brand-specific one.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
What's up, fellow Weber Spirit grill owner? Best grill I have ever owned, hands down.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I got a weber spirit a week ago and I'm amazed how much I'm using it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Yeah, it's a fantastic grill. They Genesis line looks fancier and might be slightly nicer, but not for almost twice the price.

But yeah, the generic $45 rotisserie thing at Home Depot will not fit it...the mounting hardware isn't quite the right size. I played around with it for like an hour (it comes with like 3 different types of mounts, so it was annoying trying different combos of the mounts, the motor angled differently, other side of the grill, etc...) and it never would fit right. That was the easiest option, especially since I have no desire to drill holes into any part of my grill, at least not in its first season.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I got the tiniest of all the weber spirits, and it's more than adequate for myself/family in the area. I have no idea who actually uses their mid or even top line stuff , unless you're hosting 100 people every weekend or something crazy.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

I got the tiniest of all the weber spirits, and it's more than adequate for myself/family in the area. I have no idea who actually uses their mid or even top line stuff , unless you're hosting 100 people every weekend or something crazy.

Bought the mid size one.

I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. :colbert:

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I have the two burner and it's been more than enough for our family of 4. Sometimes when we have extended family over I have to cook things in shifts and the 3 or 4 burner would be better but not enough to make me regret buying the one I have.

It seems that Weber uses the Apple model of pricing their products, where each additional burner is $100 more on top of the "base".

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
I replaced a GFCI in my bathroom the other day, and the original wiring didn't have anything connected to the load side, just the line side. Does this defeat the purpose of having a GFCI, or does it just eliminate the downstream protection for other outlets on the circuit?

Glad to see some fellow Weber Spiriters in this thread, great great grill.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

OSU_Matthew posted:

1800$ though is absolutely crazy... Home Depot sells a super efficient 12 year 40 gallon Rheem for 604$, and water heaters are simple to install yourself. Plus natural gas replenishes fast, so even with kids on down the line I doubt I'd need a larger tank.
Whoh. Now that you mention it- $1800 is a lot to pay. I've thought about DIYing the water heater replacement myself, but doesn't it require all sorts of soldering and piping work?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

weas posted:

I replaced a GFCI in my bathroom the other day, and the original wiring didn't have anything connected to the load side, just the line side. Does this defeat the purpose of having a GFCI, or does it just eliminate the downstream protection for other outlets on the circuit?

There is nothing downstream so the other outlets are either on a different circuit or they are not protected (unless you have multiple gfci on the same circuit)

My money is on some idiot put the gfci in the wrong place.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

melon cat posted:

Whoh. Now that you mention it- $1800 is a lot to pay. I've thought about DIYing the water heater replacement myself, but doesn't it require all sorts of soldering and piping work?

The 1800 one is probably the top of the line Rheem with 80 gallon capacity and a heat pump (so, much more efficient and much better first hour delivery)

If you don't have an enormous hot tub then don't bother.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bozart posted:

The 1800 one is probably the top of the line Rheem with 80 gallon capacity and a heat pump (so, much more efficient and much better first hour delivery)

If you don't have an enormous hot tub then don't bother.

Well, it's a contractor's quote.... So, probably a middling builder's grade quality unit with poo poo efficiency and minimal capacity.

melon cat posted:

Soldering copper pipes is actually a fairly simple job that you can learn online in fifteen minutes with a 20$ torch and solder kit! :eng101:

That being said, there are all sorts of other solderless ways to attach plumbing, such as pex, or flexible water heater supply lines. The job is a lot simpler if it's just a straight gas for gas unit swap. Otherwise it gets complicated when you start having to figure out replacement air and adequate venting, and making sure you use the right vent ducting and pipe dope on the gas connections. That being said, shouldn't take you more than a few hours to replace after watching a few videos to figure things out. Hardest part is getting the new unit downstairs and in place, and the old one outside to dispose of.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Basement chat:

I have a 101 year old house with masonry foundation walls. It's somehow dry down there and the two waterproofing guys I've had come look at it said its fine to finish with proper techniques.

I'm not ready to make that investment, but I need to get my office set up so I can stop working from the dining room table.

The basement is divided into a few rooms with original bad rear end brick walls: a Landry room, a 34x17 foot main space, and a 17x12 room that I'll use as an office.

I'm having the windows replaced in a few weeks. The original hoppers are awesome and none of the glass is broken but they leak tons of cold air during the winter and lots of bugs come in through the the cracks.

Once that's done I'm going to insulate the rim joists and then clean the hell out of everything.

I'm then considering putting down a resilient vinyl floor over an air gap underlayment and then using the space as is with unfinished walls and ceiling. Move my office furniture down there and get to work. The space is stays a really consistent temperature between all the concrete and the duct work.

There is about 7'8" of clearance so it doesn't really feel claustrophobic.

Bad idea or the worst idea?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

How do I get rid of phorid/drain flies :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just installed my first outlet, which has tamper-resistant receptacles and 2 USB port. Plugged the receptacle tester into each receptacle, everything's good! I was also really careful about cutting off any exposed copper (because this outlet had push-in-and-then-tighten receptacles instead of the loop-around-a-screw thing that the older outlet used), so I'm not worried about my amateur skills resulting in a fire starting behind the wall

Most of the ground wire was covered in white paint, aside from a small length on the end. How does that even happen?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

QuarkJets posted:

Most of the ground wire was covered in white paint, aside from a small length on the end. How does that even happen?

Priming with a paint sprayer before the switches were put in (rough in).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

OSU_Matthew posted:

That being said, there are all sorts of other solderless ways to attach plumbing, such as pex, or flexible water heater supply lines.

Sharkbite fittings are literally magic.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

Sharkbite fittings are literally magic.

Truth! A friend helped me replace my hot water tank and it was a pain in the rear end doing all the soldering (little leaks kept happening). Another friend put in a tank and I helped, and those press-on fittings made the job so fast and painless.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

I moved in about 3 1/2 months ago so this is new to me. I have a 3' tall chain link fence around 2/3 of my yard. The other 1/3 is a brick wall because that neighbors house sits higher then us. The neighbor with the chain link on his side is a dick to put it nicely. He called the township on us four times already.

The first time it was for a car parked outside his house that was their a few days. It wasn't our car as we only have one and it is public parking anyway. We got a note on our door from the borough saying we need to move the car. I called and told it wasn't mine and they told me to talk to the neighbor and let him know.

I knew he and his wife were home so I knocked on his door. They didn't answer so I left a note saying hey not my car and if their is an issue let me know before you call the township.
Never heard back.

We got three more letters for various things from the township over the next few weeks. Him wanting us to remove the sunflower plants from our garden but telling the township it was weeds. Him telling the township I mow at inappropriate hours. I work third shift so I now at 8:20 when I get home before a shower. And a letter from the township from him saying we have outside cats (we don't). I don't know why he's doing this but apparently talking with the neighbor this is his norm.

Anyway back to the fence. He mows about every 3 days. Small yard with no trees or anything about ten minutes to do. I mow once a week. Large yard with trees about an hour to do. I weedwhack my side of the fence when I mow and do yard work. He hasn't done his side since we moved in. It is my fence and I'll gladly go weedwhack it but that would mean I go on his property and I'm pretty sure he would call the cops for me trespassing. He mows all the way up to the fence but now their are 20"+ weeds along his side.

He won't talk to us at all. When I have gone over to talk to him or his wife they dart inside. I'm guessing he's going to make another report soon or waiting for me to go over. Any suggestions on what to do?

HOT! New Memes fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 13, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Call the township and tell them that his weeds are overgrown

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Document it with the town (as in, get a letter from them for each complaint and a letter regarding its resolution) and if he persists in nuisance complaints get a restraining order?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Man, good neighbor relations are priceless. As much as I would be tempted to use his tools (the city) against him and whatnot, have you considered some sort of peace offer? Walk over with some cookies and say hi. Invite them to a barbecue, and see if you can get some dialogue. Worst case, you are where you are now, best case, you find out he and the previous owner of your home had a beef that has extended to you for no good reason.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I wish one of my neighbors would run into his home whenever he sees me. It's better than running into my garage and through my kitchen door when he sees me come home.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Man, good neighbor relations are priceless. As much as I would be tempted to use his tools (the city) against him and whatnot, have you considered some sort of peace offer? Walk over with some cookies and say hi. Invite them to a barbecue, and see if you can get some dialogue. Worst case, you are where you are now, best case, you find out he and the previous owner of your home had a beef that has extended to you for no good reason.

Well since they aren't going to answer the door, that probably won't work.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
Is it feasible to build a new 6' wooden fence so you don't have to look at his weeds?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Economic Sinkhole posted:

Is it feasible to build a new 6' wooden fence so you don't have to look at his weeds?

Neighbor will go to the town that he is storing scrap wood on the property border.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sperg Victorious posted:

I wish one of my neighbors would run into his home whenever he sees me. It's better than running into my garage and through my kitchen door when he sees me come home.

What's the story behind this?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I believe it's hyperbole.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tYGCZ4ED98k

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

baquerd posted:

What's the story behind this?

He saw me come home with a bag from home depot and was curious what I was up to. We recently met and he's very 'neighborly.' First time I met him, he told me he'd been looking through my windows and didn't think I had moved in yet. Still unsure how I feel about him.

The guy on my other side just waves, it's nice.

Sperg Victorious fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 13, 2016

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Bozart posted:

Document it with the town (as in, get a letter from them for each complaint and a letter regarding its resolution) and if he persists in nuisance complaints get a restraining order?

I have all the paperwork that has been posted on my door.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

This won't work as him and his wife both hide inside their house when I knocked.

Economic Sinkhole posted:

This is the game plan next spring. I just really want to take care of these weeds as the look awful. For someone who is constantly mowing like he is he has to notice them. From what I can tell they are both retired so I'm guessing this is some form of entertainment for them.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
You probably shouldn't spray them for him through the chain link. What if you were spraying your own weeds along the fence with a selective herbicide and some got on to the weeds on the other side accidentally?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
If you can get the town clerk that issued the letters to send you something saying that "hey there was never actually anything wrong" that might be good. Plus then you'll cement in the guy's head that your neighbor complains about non issues.

Then there is the reddit advice of adding security cameras in case the guy escalates to trespassing or vandalism.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Bozart posted:

If you can get the town clerk that issued the letters to send you something saying that "hey there was never actually anything wrong" that might be good. Plus then you'll cement in the guy's head that your neighbor complains about non issues.

Then there is the reddit advice of adding security cameras in case the guy escalates to trespassing or vandalism.

I'll try this tomorrow.

When I went up to his door one time I could kind of see in and it was super weird. One beat up old couch and an old box tv like from the 70s and that was all in his living room. But I don't think he is poor because he has 3 cars including a newer camero. His wife seems like a "cant talk without my husbands permission" lady. Just really bizarre

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

He's probably a serial killer no big deal

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
He's the chief of town ordinance enforcement and his powers are vast,

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I'm glad my neighbor just gives me dirty looks at least he doesn't want to borrow anything. I think he is mad his friend got foreclosed on and somehow that is my fault. Either that or he is just an ahole. I planted a huge tree on the property line that will clog his second story gutters with poo poo. I have the bigger side yard. I got hoa approval letter first. Landscape modification approved. I will rule this hoa with my larger disposable income and ability to have the office pool write endless letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Please keep us updated because I love hearing about crazy neighbor comeuppance.
On a related note, one of our neighbors has an old BMW that doesn't seem to work well that is parked on the street near our house and my father in law desperately wants to play proxy annoying neighbor for us and call and report the car despite us saying we don't care about it at all because we have our own driveway and the neighbors car isn't even in sight from any egress of our house.
The lesson here is all inlaws are awful.