Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

quote:

Creative Spark
R
Sorcery
Choose target creature. Exile the top card of your library. You may have Creative Spark deal damage to that creature equal to the converted mana cost of the exiled card. If you don't, you may play that card until end of turn.
"Invention is a riot, too."
- Pia Nalaar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Creative Spark seems fun, but I just wish that millstone cost 1, and didn't bother with that second ability.

E: also strictly worse bonesplitter is bad. But probably still good in limited.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Nice red card. I actually like this type of card.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Torch Glove doesn't give fire breathing? Flavor fail.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

NinjaDebugger posted:

This is literally car voltron.

You play vehicles, and then the vehicles let you play the giant robot.

If this becomes a deck, I'd be really disappointed if the name wasn't Megas XLR. :mad:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Balon posted:

Torch Glove doesn't give fire breathing? Flavor fail.

It could have been powered by E instead of red mana.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Mystic Mongol posted:

It could have been powered by E instead of red mana.

Now I'm just going to assume that all uses of energy is actually your creatures getting high and rolling on ecstasy. "Thriving" rats indeed!

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

I really like this art

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

lazerwolf posted:

I really like this art

I'm going to have to buy so many of these for pauper.

Like, 8.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

i looked at that and somehow missed the one mana on the cost and thought they just printed the best mana rock ever.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

i looked at that and somehow missed the one mana on the cost and thought they just printed the best mana rock ever.

it's a reprint

---

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Poor Hill Giants, no longer relevant.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

Poor Hill Giants, no longer relevant.

Hey, this may have haste, but it also has double R

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

the Orb of Zot posted:

Something about this thing makes me think it could be broken open.

This isn't very good. Even if you cast it for 4 or 5 mana it's pretty meh.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

mcmagic posted:

seems like a potential combo engine, but otherwise I agree

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Tamiyo's Journal drops it to 6 and provides plenty of artifacts with which to revive it.

Lack of a keyword with which to get through servos and other chump blockers is the problem, really.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Oviya is going to be HORRIBLE to play against in Limited.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

A worse Bonesplitter. That I'll still probably play in Limited.

quote:

You're not my Whirler Rogue!

Since when did Red get Trained Armodon with Haste?

quote:

I don't know what can be done with this card but I'm sure there's something cool waiting somewhere.

quote:

OOH BOY! I've always wondered "What would happen if Selesnya Guildmage could poo poo out Voice of Resurgence tokens?"

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Cernunnos posted:

OOH BOY! I've always wondered "What would happen if Selesnya Guildmage could poo poo out Voice of Resurgence tokens?"

I think these tokens keep the same P/T

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

ThePeavstenator posted:

I think these tokens keep the same P/T

This is correct. They read X at creation time and stay that way, since they're not */*'s with an ability.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Procrastinator posted:

This is correct. They read X at creation time and stay that way, since they're not */*'s with an ability.

Does that include itself?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

this is more like a different take on Rhys the Redeemed

also, story outcome since I'm too lazy to write a tl;dr: Pia Nalaar is captured, and Chandra and Nissa meet that new legendary lady who turns out to be an old friend and they're about to plan how to free Pia

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cernunnos posted:

Since when did Red get Trained Armodon with Haste?

Between things like Boggart Ram-Gang, Clickslither, Geier Reach Bandit, and Hellrider, it makes perfect sense for a 3/3 with haste to cost 1RR.

It's far from the strangest design in this set, really.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

Does that include itself?

no, it looks as your creating the token, so it won't be in play yet

mcmagic posted:

Oviya is going to be HORRIBLE to play against in Limited.

The format seems a lot more powerful than most normal limited formats, so maybe it's possible to punish someone for spending three mana to make 1/1.

If the board ever stalls out with that card in play though, good night.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Ovine Pasture looks pretty strong as a one or two-of in wide creature decks. Definitely going to try it in my cryptolith rite deck.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oviya is neat in limited, but I don't see her having any use in constructed formats. She's almost always worse than Rhys as a commander, too, because mono-green doesn't have a way to take advantage of the tokens being also artifacts.

If she was an elf, I could maybe see her going somewhere, but even then.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 14, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Seems like a pretty good card too. Immediately gives you two dredges.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

This is adorable. :3:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So I was talking to a friend recently who's played a bit of Magic about how, in recent years, design trends have focused on creature-centric midrange decks at the expense of the broader aggro/combo/control ecosystem that used to inform most metagames. He had kinda a hard time understanding why that narrowing was a bad thing, given that, in his words, creatures are "the most charismatic part of the game"

The best analogy I could come up with on the spot was if like, you had an MMO or a MOBA or a tactical tabletop game with well-defined character roles and the developers decided they were going to phase out tanks and support and have everyone be various shades of DPS, because DPS was the most exciting and popular role. Which isn't a bad thing on its own, and games like Diablo certainly show there's a niche for "everyone's some kind of DPS, now click a million demons", but it's definitely a much different experience and one that's going to frustrate people that really did enjoy playing healers, or even ones that enjoyed playing DPS in the specific context of "I know it's my tank's job to peel for me, so I know it's my job to position myself smartly and let him do that"

Since it seems like folks here are broadly sympathetic to the idea of "it sucks that Bant Company is literally 100% of Magic nowadays", how would you guys go about explaining that to someone whose perspective on Magic is mostly "right, but smashing big, easy-to-cast creatures into each other is really cool"?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

dang her moms gonna die

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Seems like a pretty good card too. Immediately gives you two dredges.

It's really horrible off the top though.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Dang that's going to supercharge dredge (in an opening hand at least)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Dammit she's gonna die next set.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Not posted, I think

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jenny Angel posted:

So I was talking to a friend recently who's played a bit of Magic about how, in recent years, design trends have focused on creature-centric midrange decks at the expense of the broader aggro/combo/control ecosystem that used to inform most metagames. He had kinda a hard time understanding why that narrowing was a bad thing, given that, in his words, creatures are "the most charismatic part of the game"

The best analogy I could come up with on the spot was if like, you had an MMO or a MOBA or a tactical tabletop game with well-defined character roles and the developers decided they were going to phase out tanks and support and have everyone be various shades of DPS, because DPS was the most exciting and popular role. Which isn't a bad thing on its own, and games like Diablo certainly show there's a niche for "everyone's some kind of DPS, now click a million demons", but it's definitely a much different experience and one that's going to frustrate people that really did enjoy playing healers, or even ones that enjoyed playing DPS in the specific context of "I know it's my tank's job to peel for me, so I know it's my job to position myself smartly and let him do that"

Since it seems like folks here are broadly sympathetic to the idea of "it sucks that Bant Company is literally 100% of Magic nowadays", how would you guys go about explaining that to someone whose perspective on Magic is mostly "right, but smashing big, easy-to-cast creatures into each other is really cool"?

Checkers is a fine game on its own. It has one kind of piece and it does the same thing every time. Chess is also a fine game on its own. It has different pieces with different roles. You can have a game go from one to another, but the transition's going to be painful and people who've played Chess are going to want to keep on playing chess. However, they can easily argue that they already have all the tools to play chess so there's no need to complain that it turned into checkers. But, we've been groomed for over 20 years now to play chess and people are going to complain anyway, no matter how true that statement is. (i.e. just play legacy/modern if you want the old feel of the game, but the continued and expected systematic release of sets and new cards for even those old formats is a groomed mentality that WOTC marketing is very good at doing)

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Rinkles posted:

Not posted, I think

Dammit are they making her parents vs corruption into a planeswalker conspiracy?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

mcmagic posted:

It's really horrible off the top though.

I don't understand, how would dredge end up drawing this "off the top?"

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Jenny Angel posted:

1 hour worlds game, X/X+1s staring at each other forever is incredibly boring. The creatures never actually smash into each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Well this seems liable to make Dredge get out of hand

• Locked thread