Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wasn't aware Catholic priests could become qualified dentists.

Until recently nobody was aware they could practice child proctology either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

Whoever told you that wants you to die. You give a bag of catnip to a small cat they will nibble and play with it and basically try to shove it in thier mouth and tear it into strips. A large cat will do the exact same.

I wouldn't tie a bag of anything a cat would be intensly interested in to myself- big or small.

https://youtu.be/tklx3j7kgJY

Yeah I think that was his point.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

orange sky posted:

Yeah I think that was his point.

beep boop what is humour / pyf / etc

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Just Offscreen posted:

Whoever told you that wants you to die. You give a bag of catnip to a small cat they will nibble and play with it and basically try to shove it in thier mouth and tear it into strips. A large cat will do the exact same.

I wouldn't tie a bag of anything a cat would be intensly interested in to myself- big or small.

https://youtu.be/tklx3j7kgJY

This makes me wonder just how extremely obvious a joke would have to be for you to get it. It's hard to even envision one that would still be a joke

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

freeedr posted:

This makes me wonder just how extremely obvious a joke would have to be for you to get it. It's hard to even envision one that would still be a joke

Post your life story and see if he gets it.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Mike the TV posted:

Post your life story and see if he gets it.

Actually, posting your life story on a public forum such as Something Awful is not such a good idea. You may be sharing personal information that could be used to hurt you, and people may not be that interested in reading it!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Actually, posting your life story on a public forum such as Something Awful is not such a good idea. You may be sharing personal information that could be used to hurt you, and people may not be that interested in reading it!

Yeah I gotta agree with this. Just a plain old bad idea.

Much like my posting.

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Meskhenet posted:

Isn't the argument that cats self domesticated. That humans didnt go out of their way like we did with dogs and horses to domesticate them, they just sort of buddied up with us because we were disgusting slobs that rats and other pests they ate liked to hang around us?

Cats aren't really domesticated at all. They are just too small to see us as food and aren't dangerous to us like wolves were. There was no real need to "domesticate" them as they were perfectly happy with the abundant rodent food source we had so they did what we wanted them to do in the first place.

Dogs are domesticated in that they have instincts bred into them to please humans and follow leashes etc. Cats don't have any instincts like that. Although there is some new research suggesting they've developed cuter meows they only use on humans to coax food/petting but that's about it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Cigstomper58 posted:

Cats aren't really domesticated at all. They are just too small to see us as food and aren't dangerous to us like wolves were. There was no real need to "domesticate" them as they were perfectly happy with the abundant rodent food source we had so they did what we wanted them to do in the first place.

Dogs are domesticated in that they have instincts bred into them to please humans and follow leashes etc. Cats don't have any instincts like that. Although there is some new research suggesting they've developed cuter meows they only use on humans to coax food/petting but that's about it.

Cats domesticated humans :toxogond:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Speaking of which...have a funny pic from my living room.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Cats domesticated humans :toxogond:

Pretty much. When cats and human civilization met, cats saw limitless shelter, warmth, and food. We saw free and autonomous pest eradication. Not much has changed in the thousands of years since.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cythereal posted:

Pretty much. When cats and human civilization met, cats saw limitless shelter, warmth, and food. We saw free and autonomous pest eradication. Not much has changed in the thousands of years since.

Well, the system occasionally breaks down ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyoEXjrU1fs

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!
Florida man. https://imgur.com/gallery/1Bq7C

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

License plate says Indiana man. :v:

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Until recently nobody was aware they could practice child proctology either

Everyone can.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Cythereal posted:

License plate says Indiana man. :v:

Failed to notice that! I would like to think he had this done while down here in Florida. We have some great custom shops.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Doctor Malaver posted:

Everyone can.

I don't get it.

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

I don't get it.

Pedophiles

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Paladinus posted:

I don't get it.

The cave is an anus

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Paladinus posted:

I don't get it.

And you never will.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Paladinus posted:

I don't get it.

I tried to get it but my girlfriend said no.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm glad your gf told you not to finger a child.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That's not a very funny joke.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Don't sully the good name of PBF you jerk: http://pbfcomics.com/172/

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That's a funnier joke.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Doctor, give it to me straight. Did you draw that last panel.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Karate Bastard posted:

Doctor, give it to me straight. Did you draw that last panel.

http://pbfcomics.com/223

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Christ,

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cythereal posted:

My cat has somehow caught 2 mice in (what I thought was) a mouse free house.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I tried to get it butt my girlfriend said no.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Your hand talks?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Your hand talks?

You shouldn't abuse your power as an admin to rip into people like that, for shame.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Meskhenet posted:

Isn't the argument that cats self domesticated. That humans didnt go out of their way like we did with dogs and horses to domesticate them, they just sort of buddied up with us because we were disgusting slobs that rats and other pests they ate liked to hang around us?

Cats still do that. Just wander up to a house and go, "okay, I live here now." :3:

Twice when I was a kid random cats came into our place to have their kittens. Once right on the sofa, that is not a good place for kittens.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Cats still do that. Just wander up to a house and go, "okay, I live here now." :3:

Twice when I was a kid random cats came into our place to have their kittens. Once right on the sofa, that is not a good place for kittens.

More generally historically, it's not that humans were slobs it's that humans started farming. Fields and especially granaries attracted pets like rats which saw the grain and vegetables as a buffet line. Cats followed the pests as a steady supply of cat chow, and human structures also provided ready made shelter. Early human civilization decided that cats were agreeably small, too small to eat anything humans cared about, and so both species profited by the arrangement.

There's a reason why ancient civilizations tended to associate cats with protection and agriculture in mythology. A lot of the pests that cats traditionally ate were recognized as disease vectors and spoilers of harvests, so more than one mythology assigned cats a spiritual role as protectors of farm and family.

Today, barn and farm cats are still very much a thing and often appear uninvited. Some farmers try to take care of them, some don't, but it's still very much the same relationship as when cats first came to human civilization.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cythereal posted:

More generally historically, it's not that humans were slobs it's that humans started farming. Fields and especially granaries attracted pets like rats which saw the grain and vegetables as a buffet line. Cats followed the pests as a steady supply of cat chow, and human structures also provided ready made shelter. Early human civilization decided that cats were agreeably small, too small to eat anything humans cared about, and so both species profited by the arrangement.

There's a reason why ancient civilizations tended to associate cats with protection and agriculture in mythology. A lot of the pests that cats traditionally ate were recognized as disease vectors and spoilers of harvests, so more than one mythology assigned cats a spiritual role as protectors of farm and family.

Today, barn and farm cats are still very much a thing and often appear uninvited. Some farmers try to take care of them, some don't, but it's still very much the same relationship as when cats first came to human civilization.

In Texas there are services that round up feral cats and rehome them as barn cats. I have a couple friends who keep their barns pest free that way and it works out for everyone.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The MSJ posted:

For context, that is a jaguar, a cat with a bite so strong it can hunt tortoises.

My local zoo prepares frozen treats for the animals during the summer, to help them cool off and provide some fun for them.

The jaguars get a whole coconut with a hole drilled in one side. They fill it with water, plug it with a rat, and freeze the entire thing.

The jaguars put the whole coconut, frozen solid, in their mouths and crunch it to get to the ice inside :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fun fact:
A coconut is about as hard as a human skull.

• Locked thread