Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Carmant posted:

you sound like an idiot. stfu

You get owned way too much to be saying that :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Wicker Man posted:

You get owned way too much to be saying that :colbert:

I've literally never been owned.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

people who used to be fat and aren't anymore generally are the ones who are the most vocally hateful toward currently fat people because they now can poo poo on someone who was just like them and it's socially acceptable and also because they just fling all that self hatred they had at that person which is kind of hilarious and far more pathetic than someone who is fat imo

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

NomChompsky posted:

people who used to be fat and aren't anymore generally are the ones who are the most vocally hateful toward currently fat people because they now can poo poo on someone who was just like them and it's socially acceptable and also because they just fling all that self hatred they had at that person which is kind of hilarious and far more pathetic than someone who is fat imo

It usually sounds more like their angry because they KNOW the excuses are bullshit, and even admit as such.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

runupon cracker posted:

Actually no, it does the exact opposite. There's scientific evidence there to suggest that the whole HAES, "fat is beautiful" insanity is a direct result of the rise of fat shaming combined with the ease of creating self-destructive hugboxes via the internet.

so people are getting fatter because they're simultaneously 1. constantly being shamed outside their hugboxes and 2. never being shamed inside their hugboxes

taxpayer funded researchers at work folks

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Runupon, what is your concern? Is it that the "healthism" woman will stumble across a GBS thread, open it, and be so shamed that it scuttles her imminent return to a healthy weight?

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Wicker Man posted:

It usually sounds more like their angry because they KNOW the excuses are bullshit, and even admit as such.

The excuses actually aren't bullshit and that's exactly why it took the formerly fat person so much of their life to finally lose the weight. Unfortunatley losing fat doesnt make you any smarter so theyre too stupid to understand this so they just get irrationally angry.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Wicker Man posted:

sure but i don't think the vast majority of fat people are making excuses. they're either fat and admit it is because they have bad habits or they just straight don't give a poo poo. the fuckin weird fat positivity and haes people only exist on the internet as far as i can tell.

but goons, being eternally on the internet, would not know this.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Carmant posted:

The excuses actually aren't bullshit and that's exactly why it took the formerly fat person so much of their life to finally lose the weight. Unfortunatley losing fat doesnt make you any smarter so theyre too stupid to understand this so they just get irrationally angry.

No, there are 'reasons' why it is hard. Most good things in life are both hard and rewarding, including being healthy. Making excuses is very easy, and takes almost no effort or insight, and can be done with only one shitposting hand, allowing uninterrupted snacking.

Carmant posted:

I've literally never been owned.

Which clears up just how much delusional thinking you indulge in.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Wicker Man posted:

How is that a straw man? It sounded like a fair point.

The straw man being that anybody here is claiming that literally "any" criticism of self-destructive behavior is bullying.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Germstore posted:

And I'll have you know I'm very nice on and offline. I only give people poo poo on GBS where it's completely consensual. In fact even on GBS I don't go into threads that I know I disagree with just to call people assholes.

The people in the photos/videos are GBS posters?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

lol goons don't want to offer level headed constructive criticism to anyone, fat or otherwise

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Post more delusional fatties.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Wicker Man posted:

Yeah, formerly fat person here. I think it has a lot to do with why the person lost weight to begin with. I think a lot of people who lose weight don't like themselves, and think that if they lose weight they will suddenly like themselves again. Then, when they become skinny and still don't like themselves, it causes cognitive dissonance and they project their self-loathing onto what they used to be.

In my case it was a medical/quality of life choice. I didn't want to struggle doing every little thing in my daily life anymore and slowly slip into a diabetic nightmare. I liked myself before I lost weight, and I still like myself, so I'm not angry at GRRRR FAT PEOPLE.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Blitter posted:

No, there are 'reasons' why it is hard. Most good things in life are both hard and rewarding, including being healthy. Making excuses is very easy, and takes almost no effort or insight, and can be done with only one shitposting hand, allowing uninterrupted snacking.

Being healthy is really easy if you have the right genetics. Ive always been healthy since I was a kid and I never had to do anything really

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

runupon cracker posted:

Yeah, formerly fat person here. I think it has a lot to do with why the person lost weight to begin with. I think a lot of people who lose weight don't like themselves, and think that if they lose weight they will suddenly like themselves again. Then, when they become skinny and still don't like themselves, it causes cognitive dissonance and they project their self-loathing onto what they used to be.

In my case it was a medical/quality of life choice. I didn't want to struggle doing every little thing in my daily life anymore and slowly slip into a diabetic nightmare. I liked myself before I lost weight, and I still like myself, so I'm not angry at GRRRR FAT PEOPLE.

Seriously though, this is why it is so important that the public as a whole needs more education on both basic nutrition and the mechanics of weight management. And us Americans are usually pretty miserable on average, so better mental health and awareness as well.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

runupon cracker posted:

The people in the photos/videos are GBS posters?

Sorry, I didn't know when someone comments on your wrong opinion on a completely different site you get a psychic ping that causes shame and makes you eat more.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Germstore posted:

Runupon, what is your concern? Is it that the "healthism" woman will stumble across a GBS thread, open it, and be so shamed that it scuttles her imminent return to a healthy weight?

That reads like a serious question, so I'm going to give a serious answer.

I want fat people to stop being delusional, and find success in losing weight. The "healthism" person is going to be the same going out of this thread as he came in, because shame's not going to change him. The non-delusional fatty probably isn't going to open the thread (borne out by the very few posters in here who admit their fat status), and if they do, they're not going to find much that will actually help motivate them to lose weight, and nine out of ten of them are more likely to go over to the healthism side because gently caress you, that's why.

I'm not for a second saying that shame can't ever motivate positive change. It can, but it's rare, and most people don't react to shame positively. You're much more likely to make people defensive and retreat into their poor behaviors.

If your goal is sincerely to help motivate fat people to lose weight, shame is the exact wrong way to do it. Pursuing that, despite the mountain of evidence against it, only goes towards reinforcing the idea that you (fat shamers in general, not you specifically) would much rather fat people stay fat so you have a convenient target to make fun of for your own disgusting amusement, making you no better than the regressive conservatives who want to punish women for having sex despite the totally awesome and not bullshit in any way abstinence-only education.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Please don't respond to cracker's self loathing about how much a failure they are it really drags these threads down.

Tricky D posted:

Post more delusional fatties.

The good old thyroid excuse (it doesn't kill your metabolism that's impossible)

:owned:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

runupon cracker posted:

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LethalGeek posted:

Please don't respond to cracker's self loathing about how much a failure they are it really drags these threads down.

I successfully lost 135 lbs and have kept it off for over two years now.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Im gonna see penn & teller on sunday because penns wierd method of losing weight is almost certainly going to kill him. Thats my fat story

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I can understand overweight people saying that being fat or skinny is not the sole indicator of how happy your life is but its telling that almost every single fat person who got down to a healthy weight says their life improves in pretty much all respects

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

gently caress the ROW posted:

Im gonna see penn & teller on sunday because penns wierd method of losing weight is almost certainly going to kill him. Thats my fat story

What weird method of losing weight?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Tricky D posted:

I dunno about Penn but you could swallow a tapeworm egg i guess.

e: vv:stare:

lorn Wayne fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 14, 2016

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Tricky D posted:

He eats like twice daily, things like "two handfuls of peanuts splashed in tabasco", or "an entire watermelon"

here's the article I read which made me laugh: http://www.grubstreet.com/2016/08/penn-jillette-thinks-watermelon-is-magic.html

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Someone told him to "reset his taste buds" or whtever by eating nothing but potatoes (go potatoes) for a couple of weeks then slowly bring back things like "salt" and "butter" and so on until he wasn't gorging himself anymore and lost his taste for all the bad food.

I mean it worked but it was kinda crazy, but he was 5minutes from death apparently so eh.

RGBRIOT
Apr 19, 2009

"Beauty, packaged for a digital world."
After reading this thread I legit just puked my brains out along with the horrible life choice I had for lunch... So maybe fat shaming works? I mean I'm not fat, but I definitely don't want to become fat and get shamed for it.

Thanks thread, would recommend to fat friends. Won't eat terrible meal again. Wins all around.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

quote:

I took a lot of blueberries, like four big containers (this one is expensive), rinsed them off and then put way, way, way too much cayenne pepper on them. Way too much. Lots. I shook that around and then added way too much cocoa powder, no fat, no sugar. It’s like a Mexican flourless chocolate blueberry cake. It’s my favorite food

This part cracks me up. He says he goes 2 or 3 days at a time and then eats absurd amounts of hilarious poo poo. I mean its great cuz he was fat as poo poo but I'm not entirely sure hes going to live very long

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

My first post covered it: sadbrains. Its sadbrains all the way down a fat hole

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
gotta say, i prefer fat penn...

RGBRIOT
Apr 19, 2009

"Beauty, packaged for a digital world."

lorn Wayne posted:

gotta say, i prefer fat penn...

Holy poo poo, it looks like he's peddling coke on the side and decided to try it 'just' this one's but it took a turn and now he's speedballing off of hooker asses every meal.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

I can understand overweight people saying that being fat or skinny is not the sole indicator of how happy your life is but its telling that almost every single fat person who got down to a healthy weight says their life improves in pretty much all respects

Absolutely. You can be fat for a while without being abjectly miserable. And, while "HAES" is ridiculous bullshit, it really is possible to be overweight without having other health issues for a while. So it's easy for some people to say "but I feel fine and my blood pressure is ok and my blood sugar is normal and blah blah blah..." Well sure, it takes a while for your body to wear down and give up. The big problem is that, by the time you start going downhill, you've probably already done some irreversible damage and made it more difficult to lose the weight you need to to survive to a decent lifespan. I know it's pretty likely I'm going to die earlier than I would if I had never gotten fat in the first place. Which sucks, but I've had a good life* so I'm not too broken up about it. Unless I'm hit by a bus or something like that, I'm probably going to get to see my grandkids grow up.

*fat notwithstanding

INTERACTIVE CD-ROM
Nov 18, 2005

Love?
Not eating tons of poo poo food sounds really hard, i don't know how i do it

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

INTERACTIVE CD-ROM posted:

Not eating tons of poo poo food sounds really hard, i don't know how i do it

you can get fat without eating tons of poo poo food

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

runupon cracker posted:

That reads like a serious question, so I'm going to give a serious answer.

I want fat people to stop being delusional, and find success in losing weight. The "healthism" person is going to be the same going out of this thread as he came in, because shame's not going to change him. The non-delusional fatty probably isn't going to open the thread (borne out by the very few posters in here who admit their fat status), and if they do, they're not going to find much that will actually help motivate them to lose weight, and nine out of ten of them are more likely to go over to the healthism side because gently caress you, that's why.

I'm not for a second saying that shame can't ever motivate positive change. It can, but it's rare, and most people don't react to shame positively. You're much more likely to make people defensive and retreat into their poor behaviors.

If your goal is sincerely to help motivate fat people to lose weight, shame is the exact wrong way to do it. Pursuing that, despite the mountain of evidence against it, only goes towards reinforcing the idea that you (fat shamers in general, not you specifically) would much rather fat people stay fat so you have a convenient target to make fun of for your own disgusting amusement, making you no better than the regressive conservatives who want to punish women for having sex despite the totally awesome and not bullshit in any way abstinence-only education.

Shame in and of itself is complicated and cannot be defined by itself. Shame exists in relation to the perceptions of the thing causing the shame, and the people who use shame in an attempt to help or hurt someone. If someone who is obese feels personally ashamed, and that shame comes from a productive place it might be helpful. But shame can also come from abusive people and depression in which case it serves only to enhance the already existing feelings of worthlessness. Feeling worthless isn't motivational, it paralyzes you. Because if you're worthless then how could you have hope to do something as challenging as losing weight, or anything at all?

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
Fat shaming is totally wrong guys, Tess Holliday posted this on facebook and I agree with her #fatspo brand of body positive feminism.

quote:

His niece was kicked out of class and sent to in-school suspension. The issue? Her top was too snug around her body. The catch-22? Baggy clothes and shirts that go passed the knee are banned. The only way to prevent her clothes from fitting “too tight” on her belly is to have them be too big. No matter what she does, the 9-year-old will be punished.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

runupon cracker posted:

I successfully lost 135 lbs and have kept it off for over two years now.

Fat is Beautiful.

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

microagressions are a thing but fat people don't experience them bc nothing they experience is micro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

Fat shaming is totally wrong guys, Tess Holliday posted this on facebook and I agree with her #fatspo brand of body positive feminism.

"Nettles believes the dress code discriminates against his niece’s body type and other children with it. " there's no body type for a 9yo to be that fat, you stupid assholes what are you doing to that kid :catstare:

• Locked thread