Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pia's gonna die, Chandra's gonna have a reason to hate Tezzeret, that makes 3 walkers in the Jacetice League with something against him.

Tezzeret is not long for this world. Or worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Dumb question for the people more in the know when it comes to collecting.
Was there any way to get a set of, oh I'll say, Alpha without just piecing it together from packs?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Piecing together a set of Alpha from packs in 2016 would be seriously impressive.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Snacksmaniac posted:

Was there any way to get a set of, oh I'll say, Alpha without just piecing it together from packs?

Trading with people you knew. That was basically it back in the day. You'd wait for the new issue of the InQuest price guide to come out and try to make deals with your schoolyard friend to get him to trade his Jester's Cap. Maybe there was a store that had a few singles in a display case next to the baseball cards, but more likely not.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jabor posted:

Piecing together a set of Alpha from packs in 2016 would be seriously impressive.

no, he means could you buy the set back in the old days of the 90's

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

Starter decks helped. Alpha was kind of weird because the game was so new, there wasn't any real complete catalog until beta was already out. They made an effort to keep any set listing a secret initially.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JOHN CENA posted:

Starter decks helped. Alpha was kind of weird because the game was so new, there wasn't any real complete catalog until beta was already out. They made an effort to keep any set listing a secret initially.

Rarities were also a total mystery until print publications like Scrye and Inquest starting printing them (colored rarity symbols wouldn't appear until Exodus years later). Alpha further complicated things by having uneven distribution and mispacks, so you could end up with commons or lands in the slot where a rare was supposed to be. Many of the early expansions had boosters with fewer than 15 cards, so that made it harder to figure out rarity as well.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JOHN CENA posted:

They made an effort to keep any set listing a secret initially.

To the point there was an Island on the rare sheet, deliberately to screw with people.

There's no way to tell if a given Alpha Island is rare or not.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Is there no black planeswalker in this set?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Attorney at Funk posted:

We'll probably get Tezzeret at U/B in the next set.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Rarities were also a total mystery until print publications like Scrye and Inquest starting printing them (colored rarity symbols wouldn't appear until Exodus years later). Alpha further complicated things by having uneven distribution and mispacks, so you could end up with commons or lands in the slot where a rare was supposed to be. Many of the early expansions had boosters with fewer than 15 cards, so that made it harder to figure out rarity as well.

The island in the rare slot wasn't a mistake - it was actually on the rare sheet. Also worth noting that alpha was missing Volc and CoP: Black so a complete set wasn't actually a complete set.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

They have at least claimed to not really care too much about even distribution of planeswalkers between colors in the past.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Attorney at Funk posted:

BFZ didn't have a red one. Kahns before it didn't have green or blue. RTR had 3 colors between two planeswalkers. INN only had black and green. Scars and Zendikar only had 3 colors each, and Shards didn't have black to hide Nicol Bolas in the margins.

Shadows, Theros, and Lorwyn were odd by having all five colors on their planeswalkers in the first set alone.

E: every block ends up having at least one planeswalker in each color by the time everything's done, even if the distribution is out of whack like half of Alara's planeswalkers being red and only Sarkhan Unbroken in Dragons having green.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

suicidesteve posted:

The island in the rare slot wasn't a mistake - it was actually on the rare sheet. Also worth noting that alpha was missing Volc and CoP: Black so a complete set wasn't actually a complete set.

I never said it wasn't deliberate. But it was also well-known that you could get entire boxes of Alpha where all of the rares were replaced by commons because they were total poo poo at printing and packaging the set (and also boxes with multiple rares per pack).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheChirurgeon posted:

I never said it wasn't deliberate. But it was also well-known that you could get entire boxes of Alpha where all of the rares were replaced by commons because they were total poo poo at printing and packaging the set (and also boxes with multiple rares per pack).

My favorite story from those days is how people could pack search via shining light on the wax packs without even needing to open and reseal them. :3:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There was something you could do with... I think it was Arabian Nights boosters? to see what the cards in the pack were. Guy I used to play with got fired from his job at a game store for doing that and selling the lovely ones to customers.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Shortest Path posted:

There was something you could do with... I think it was Arabian Nights boosters? to see what the cards in the pack were. Guy I used to play with got fired from his job at a game store for doing that and selling the lovely ones to customers.

You could do this with everything up until 4th/Ice Age I think. I know you could do it with revised. You just need a light bright enough to see through the packaging.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

Since it seems like folks here are broadly sympathetic to the idea of "it sucks that Bant Company is literally 100% of Magic nowadays", how would you guys go about explaining that to someone whose perspective on Magic is mostly "right, but smashing big, easy-to-cast creatures into each other is really cool"?

Your friend is actually right. Smashing big creatures into each other is cool. It's a lot cooler than uninteractive combo kills and draw-go control. The problem is they're botching the execution. Defensive cards are a touch too strong compared to aggressive cards, and since they weakened everything besides big flashy creatures+planeswalkers, there's not enough ways to break through a defensive wall. Standard is way too conducive to stalled boards and grindy card-drawing competitions.

ThePeavstenator posted:

1 hour worlds game, X/X+1s staring at each other forever is incredibly boring. The creatures never actually smash into each other.

This standard really is absolutely awful to spectate. Unless there's a CoCo or humans player involved, games are nothing but durdling, occasional broken up by a 5 minute mindlslaver turn after emrakul gets cast.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Now that's a gravedigger.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

no, he means could you buy the set back in the old days of the 90's

Yea this. I think someone is trying to sell some fakes.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

is this guy more "my life for aiur" or "oh boy here I go killing again"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

"my life is literally falling apart"

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

This is definitely a zealot trying to go undercover and not understanding the concept

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I guess the color pie doesn't matter anymore and white gets everything. :rolleyes:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I guess the color pie doesn't matter anymore and white gets everything. :rolleyes:

In theory white has been able to do this for a while under the flavor of rescuing your own dudes but I don't remember much in the area since Zen block

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Bouncing your own stuff has been in white for over a decade. Unless you're being sarcastic?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mr Zealot Blade Nerd was the color pie-bend that caught me. (The ability and efficiency) doesn't feel remotely black, imo.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Weaponcraft Enthusiast's art HAD to be for a different card at some point.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Mr Zealot Blade Nerd was the color pie-bend that caught me. (The ability and efficiency) doesn't feel remotely black, imo.

bad creatures are very much in black's color pie

Alaan posted:

Weaponcraft Enthusiast's art HAD to be for a different card at some point.

Yea for a card to be so simple and underpowered at uncommons, it was most likely panic nerfed late in the game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Would have been nice with Demonic Pact.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

little munchkin posted:

bad creatures are very much in black's color pie

It's not a bad creature. It's probably even a half-decent black emerge enabler if for whatever reason the colorless options aren't to your liking.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

whydirt posted:

Bouncing your own stuff has been in white for over a decade. Unless you're being sarcastic?

I play Animar and I want a second Dream Stalker. :(

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

I play Animar and I want a second Dream Stalker. :(

Arctic Merfolk?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

little munchkin posted:

Your friend is actually right. Smashing big creatures into each other is cool. It's a lot cooler than uninteractive combo kills and draw-go control. The problem is they're botching the execution. Defensive cards are a touch too strong compared to aggressive cards, and since they weakened everything besides big flashy creatures+planeswalkers, there's not enough ways to break through a defensive wall. Standard is way too conducive to stalled boards and grindy card-drawing competitions.

Yeah, part of why I was struggling to communicate it is that however many years ago, I definitely was the one playing Doran or Quick'N'Toast or Eldrazi Green or whatever nonsense was currently throwing huge monsters at opponents. But part of the fun was definitely that like, I wasn't just being met by similar monsters to my own in every game

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ShadeofBlue posted:

I don't understand, how would dredge end up drawing this "off the top?"

Sometimes dredge mulls badly or casts a conflagrate to dump a single dredger and whiffs on the dredge?

Still a great card and pretty much strictly better than tormenting voice in that deck.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Count Bleck posted:

Pia's gonna die, Chandra's gonna have a reason to hate Tezzeret, that makes 3 walkers in the Jacetice League with something against him.

Tezzeret is not long for this world. Or worlds.

Why kill her when they can have Tezz hand her over to the Phyrexians for completion? Really ramp up that angst and give the Jacetice league more of a reason to take up the cause.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Why kill her when they can have Tezz hand her over to the Phyrexians for completion? Really ramp up that angst and give the Jacetice league more of a reason to take up the cause.

Well for one there's no way to move non-walkers off plane.

Except for Rashmi's thing but that only works on inorganic matter. And Venser's blueprints for a planeswalking ship that died with him. Or the Weatherlight. Which is also gone.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm really looking forward to drafting the Fabricate decks/s with artifacts matter payoff cards. Choice mechanics are cool in limited. It seems decent whether or not you draw your payoffs, since it at least is bolstering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

lazerwolf posted:

I really like this art

Noah Bradley posted a big version on imgur/reddit:

• Locked thread