Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Hey guys lemme tell you how much money to spend on getting married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Sadly, my family continues to be a source of BWM stories. I had dinner with my Aunt, Uncle, and Cousins this week and got some updates on their life.

- Cousin is using credit cards to finance about 12k to buy and build a food truck that sells vegetarian meals made from ingredients sourced from his friend's local co-op. He hired his friends to drive it and man it, but they only work on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I'm pretty sure his biggest market is going to be people on their lunch break at office parks, so Sunday is a terrible day to do 1/4 of your business. Also, he lives in a very suburban area of Pennsylvania, so the foot traffic and office park market is going to be pretty small.

He thinks this is a good idea because only one of his cards is currently charging interest and his friend who runs the co-op is also working on his truck and is okay with him "delaying" his pay until the business picks up.

- Aunt is currently in a fight with her insurance company to get them to reimburse her for going to a naturopath who uses crystals and has her gargle olive oil (???) for her medical and dental treatment. She didn't check to see if her insurance would cover it and just assumed that they would because "he's a doctor" and can't afford to pay the $450 bi-weekly (!!!) fees.

- My other cousin just discovered bitcoin this year and heard about people getting rich back in 2010 and decided to get in now. I told him it was way too late, but he's "researched" it and thinks he can make money from it by essentially day-trading bitcoin.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

vegetarian meals

suburban area of Pennsylvania,

this is a good idea

No.

The Nards Pan posted:

You should be put down based on your posting alone.

You might be surprised to hear that this is not the first time I've been told that.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Sadly, my family continues to be a source of BWM stories. I had dinner with my Aunt, Uncle, and Cousins this week and got some updates on their life.

- Cousin is using credit cards to finance about 12k to buy and build a food truck that sells vegetarian meals made from ingredients sourced from his friend's local co-op. He hired his friends to drive it and man it, but they only work on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I'm pretty sure his biggest market is going to be people on their lunch break at office parks, so Sunday is a terrible day to do 1/4 of your business. Also, he lives in a very suburban area of Pennsylvania, so the foot traffic and office park market is going to be pretty small.

He thinks this is a good idea because only one of his cards is currently charging interest and his friend who runs the co-op is also working on his truck and is okay with him "delaying" his pay until the business picks up.

- Aunt is currently in a fight with her insurance company to get them to reimburse her for going to a naturopath who uses crystals and has her gargle olive oil (???) for her medical and dental treatment. She didn't check to see if her insurance would cover it and just assumed that they would because "he's a doctor" and can't afford to pay the $450 bi-weekly (!!!) fees.

- My other cousin just discovered bitcoin this year and heard about people getting rich back in 2010 and decided to get in now. I told him it was way too late, but he's "researched" it and thinks he can make money from it by essentially day-trading bitcoin.

Wait bi-weekly as every two weeks or twice a week

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

pathetic little tramp posted:

Wait bi-weekly as every two weeks or twice a week

She goes every two weeks and has about 2 months of back expenses she thought her insurance would cover before they finally got back to her with a denial. The total is around $2,200.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Oh_Yeah posted:

They are rescues from dachshund rescue Australia. Here's the zinger, I didn't buy them... one of them was rescued in an RSPCA raid on a puppy farm. I had to get all her teeth removed because they were rotted out of her mouth, hence why I make her food...But I'd still like you to pin the award to my chest

I have the means to offer ill treated dogs a second chance and they accompany me everywhere. From the legal clinic I offer my services as a solicitor for free and the schools where troubled youth improve their confidence and reading when the dogs are around to help. The kids like the sausage dogs more than my much bigger protection dog. So yeah oval office, I'm the quintessential BFC dream and white knight rolled into one. But thanks for your misinformed and (obvious) unqualified spiel on dog genetics.

Mixed breed dogs are a consensus fallacy. Pes varus is not a condition exclusive to inbreeding or particular breeds... Ever wonder why military dogs, police dogs, guide dogs, bomb detection dogs are usually a certain particular breed? You probably don't. You don't even know the difference between inbreeding, 'pure bred' and 'designer breeding.' Just like you don't know that a dachshund was a purpose built hunting dog and you can get healthy ones.

Now I'm thinking of buying a horse to ride to work to really get this thread all aggravated. THE AUDACITY!

Can you post your salary/retirement savings/debt/general financial picture so I can close the loop on whether spending $14k on two broken dogs in a year is really BWM or just kinda BWM, TIA

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/52ozfc/im_20_and_i_want_to_buy_a_car_getting_a_loan/

quote:

Hi Reddit! This is my first post, so I hope I'm abiding to the rules in making a post.
Anyways I'm 20 years old and I'm thinking of buying a used truck. My budget is $12,000. I did some research and if I get a car loan from a credit union, the interest rates are very low. Which is great at first but I also found out that you HAVE to get FULL coverage auto insurance. And obviously that's like $120 or more including the auto loan payment which is maybe around $300. That's $420+ every month.
I'm a painter so I make $12 an hour. That's my second raise in 6 months. My boss told me that once I begin to paint like a pro, he'll pay me $13, and tells me I'll get payed even more if I keep trying and doing my best. But like all construction jobs, there's times where I won't work for a week max.
Anyways, I'm also planning to get a personal loan of $12,000 max. Buying the car and get liability or better insurance, instead of getting full coverage.
I'm planning in getting that loan in the beginning of next year. I have credit card debt which is $420. I get payed like $389 in a good week, where I work all 8 hours, Mon-Fri. I typically pay $300 of rent to help my folks out, and once in a while I pay the cellphone bill which is $90 and same thing with Internet bill which is $40.
Can you guys give me some suggestions. Especially about the personal loan I'm thinking of getting.
THANKS AGAIN!
I found my credit score from April of this year: Transunion: 679 Equifax:662.
I posted it just to see if it means any good.

Dude wants to spend half his yearly salary on a car.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
In my first real grown up job, spending half your annual salary on a car was normal and expected.

Twelve years later, still normal and expected.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't even want to think about my cousin's money situation. She has received two five-figure inheritances in the past 5 years. (Her mom died from cancer, sad story but her mom was very frugal and tried her best to set a good example and...didn't get through.)

She's living in new york, when her father decides to move to florida. She's graduating school soon, and has a job lined up teaching at an elementary school in new york. Her father convinces her to move with him, giving up the job. Instead, she takes a job "teaching" at a preschool/daycare in florida. Almost immediately she hates it there and says she wants to come back. During this time she occasionally pays her father's rent, as he just quits his jobs when he doesn't like it. She moves out of her father's apartment, in with a friend, but then she hates the friend and moves back in with dad. Her dad has taught his job philosophy by this point, "if you don't like your job, don't think about it, just quit!". Her inheritance has dwindled to nothing by this point, through a combination of paying her/her father's rent, buying stuff she doesn't need(like a brand new car), and staying unemployed.

She complains about having no money, and when she gets a job offer back in New York, she can't afford to move and live there on what it pays. She starts a gofundme to fund moving back, planning on staying with a friend. Her friend ends up saying "no, you can't live here". She keeps the money from the gofundme, and stays in florida. Now, she really wants to come back to new york, but had to turn down the job. Does she look for other work in the area? No. Does she look for a better job in florida? No. She...decides to spend the money she got on flying to new jersey to go to our second cousin's wedding this weekend. She hasn't seen this second cousin in like 5 years, they hardly know each other, and I just can't stop reading her facebook posts about how excited she is to come. Is there any way I can break her delusion? Get her to fix her life? She's gonna sit at my table at the wedding, not sure I'm going to avoid bringing up her absurd life decisions the whole time.

Her father is his own story - his share of the inheritance went to fancy rims for his car. Her brother isn't exactly rolling in it, but he figured out that he had to leave neverland and not follow his dad's example for anything.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

MrKatharsis posted:

In my first real grown up job, spending half your annual salary on a car was normal and expected.

Twelve years later, still normal and expected.

Normal, expected and BWM.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think he'll be in for a surprise when he tries to get an unsecured personal loan for $12k on that income.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Walt, spending more than half of gross income on a car is BWM? What if they carry no debt, and have sufficient savings?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I might just reveal myself as BWM here, but spending 1/3 or so of your income on a new economy car doesn't seem like a terrible idea, especially because of how much longer cars last and how slowly they depreciate nowadays. When I was looking recently, 2-year old cars were only $1500 cheaper than the same thing brand new with the whole factory warranty ahead of it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Subjunctive posted:

Walt, spending more than half of gross income on a car is BWM? What if they carry no debt, and have sufficient savings?

If they had sufficient savings they wouldn't need a $12,000 loan on a $12,000 car.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Subjunctive posted:

If they can save for it like they would any other large expense, sure. If they're "payed like $389 in a good week", "But like all construction jobs, there's times where [they] won't work for a week max", and they have no savings to speak of? Yes, that's BWM. Unstable income+no savings+car payment=disaster brewing.

Also it sounds like he wants to take out a personal loan instead of an actual car loan to avoid needing full coverage on his car, which is hilarious in more ways than one. I doubt the bank would let him do it, given his credit score and income, but :laffo:

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 14, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Also the part about trying to get a personal loan because if he gets an autoloan he has to have full coverage and there is no way he can handle that additional payment. With no apparent awareness as to why you need full coverage on a car you haven't paid for yet.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

I might just reveal myself as BWM here, but spending 1/3 or so of your income on a new economy car doesn't seem like a terrible idea, especially because of how much longer cars last and how slowly they depreciate nowadays. When I was looking recently, 2-year old cars were only $1500 cheaper than the same thing brand new with the whole factory warranty ahead of it.

It really depends upon the car but there are certain economy cars with very high demand on the used market that depreciate almost linearly, and good dealer incentives/financing that make buying new completely reasonable. Honda Fit was the best example I saw last time I shopped for cars.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Subjunctive posted:

In a vacuum, not really. In this situation, definitely.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
GWM I bought a 2500 car in 2009 that I'm still driving. BWM it gets 18mpg.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

revmoo posted:

I'm hoping the same will hold true for the car I just bought for 4000. Mine also gets roughly the same mpg. :smith::hf::smith:

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Ashcans posted:

Also the part about trying to get a personal loan because if he gets an autoloan he has to have full coverage and there is no way he can handle that additional payment. With no apparent awareness as to why you need full coverage on a car you haven't paid for yet.

Well, don't be BWD and you'll never have to file a claim or fix your car. Problem solved, buy large son!

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Here's a candidate for Most Astonishing Student Loan Balance:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/52o6e4/unable_to_obtain_morgage/ posted:

26 year old veterinarian started a contracted position at 75k in rural south carolina. I have been applying for pre-approval for mortgages on houses in the 80k range. I can put down a 15k down payment but due to a loan burden of 360k (I know, went to a for profit university). I have tried Wells Fargo, SunTrust and even USSA. They have all said they have to consider 1% of my balance even though my IBR payments is only $460. What can I do? Do I need to wait for a much larger down payment, have a longer element history (started in July), or have my IBR payments on my credit report (I am still in my grace period). Just somebody tell me there is still some hope since these laws changed while I was already 2 years deep into my program.

They have a good income in a low COL area, but it seems like they plan to make IBR payments and let the balance rise, while they take on more debt for a mortgage.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

At that point, other than suicide as a solution, I would think that person needs to:

-Pay the minimum forever
-Rent forever, using referrals from friends/family
-Never get married

Or I guess go in to public service and save for the huge tax bill/pray President Michelle Obama cancels student loan debt in 2024?

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

She goes every two weeks and has about 2 months of back expenses she thought her insurance would cover before they finally got back to her with a denial. The total is around $2,200.

I could say that at least she gets a hard-earned lesson, but I suspect these sort of people don't learn.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

revmoo posted:

You should use your time machine to get rich betting on sports like Biff

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Moneyball posted:

At that point, other than suicide as a solution, I would think that person needs to:

-Pay the minimum forever
-Never get married

Or I guess go in to public service and save for the huge tax bill/pray President Michelle Obama cancels student loan debt in 2024?

I was thinking there would be no public service jobs for veterinarians, but then I remembered the number of Toronto police I see on horseback. So at least here there are. Canadian police: BWM.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

John Smith posted:

I could say that at least she gets a hard-earned lesson, but I suspect these sort of people don't learn.

Nope. As of yesterday, she was figuring out how to continue paying for her sessions with this guy and if it would be possible to get a lawyer involved if they continue to deny her.

She's convinced that because the naturopath is "a doctor" that insurance should cover his treatment. I don't know why she can't gargle olive oil at home for free. She's a huge "crunchy" person who makes tons of terrible health and science decisions. One of my cousins is an opioid addict and she thinks it is because she let him get too many vaccines at once as a baby.

This doctor is apparently her dentist and doctor. He is also a chiropractor.

I was supportive of her, but sceptical of whether she needed to keep going. She just kept telling me that she feels way better than she ever has and that the olive oil keeps you from getting cavities *BUT THE DENTISTS DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT* because it is how they get their money. "How come skulls from ancient humans before dentists have all of their teeth, but we can't keep ours for 15 years with fluoride (a toxin) and professional visits every six months?"

Her sister (my aunt married into the family, so her sister isn't technically related to me) also sells crystals for healing and balance. She turned her onto this naturopath and combined with being into crunchy things for 20+ years she is determined to keep going and is just going to work around the costs.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Trillian posted:

I was thinking there would be no public service jobs for veterinarians, but then I remembered the number of Toronto police I see on horseback. So at least here there are. Canadian police: BWM.

I just checked and there are a dozen vet jobs on USAjobs.gov (US government recruitment site) for positions with both the Army and the Department of Agriculture. So that's a thing they could do.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

I was supportive of her, but sceptical of whether she needed to keep going. She just kept telling me that she feels way better than she ever has and that the olive oil keeps you from getting cavities *BUT THE DENTISTS DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT* because it is how they get their money. "How come skulls from ancient humans before dentists have all of their teeth, but we can't keep ours for 15 years with fluoride (a toxin) and professional visits every six months?"

Mutahfuckin Ugg Maklug wasn't eatin 20 pounds of no fuckin cocoa puffs and slathering all the wooly mammoth meat in ketchup, his rear end wasn't getting cavities

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Also he was dying in his 20's and early 30's due to a variety of reasons

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nope. As of yesterday, she was figuring out how to continue paying for her sessions with this guy and if it would be possible to get a lawyer involved if they continue to deny her.

She's convinced that because the naturopath is "a doctor" that insurance should cover his treatment. I don't know why she can't gargle olive oil at home for free. She's a huge "crunchy" person who makes tons of terrible health and science decisions. One of my cousins is an opioid addict and she thinks it is because she let him get too many vaccines at once as a baby.

This doctor is apparently her dentist and doctor. He is also a chiropractor.

Her sister (my aunt married into the family, so her sister isn't technically related to me) also sells crystals for healing and balance. She turned her onto this naturopath and combined with being into crunchy things for 20+ years she is determined to keep going and is just going to work around the costs.

The funny thing is, the fact he's a 'doctor' doesn't matter in the least. A lot of doctors don't accept certain insurance or are out-of-network. Her only hope would be if the doctor claimed to be in her insurance network - but it sounds like she paid in full and then submitted her own claims.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

pathetic little tramp posted:

Mutahfuckin Ugg Maklug wasn't eatin 20 pounds of no fuckin cocoa puffs and slathering all the wooly mammoth meat in ketchup, his rear end wasn't getting cavities

Trust me, I know. I try to gently convince her it isn't a good idea, but she is really into all this stuff and it's her money. She also keeps saying that she hasn't felt this good in her entire life before and that crystal therapy and oil-pulling are the only things that make her feel healthy.

My cousin has an opioid addiction and her Dad died during chemo. She was already very crunchy and into alternative medicine, but she pretty much dove headfirst into 100% natural treatments after those. She doesn't trust dentists or doctors and says she feels good and wants to continue feeling good. I don't really know what to do about it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Trust me, I know. I try to gently convince her it isn't a good idea, but she is really into all this stuff and it's her money. She also keeps saying that she hasn't felt this good in her entire life before and that crystal therapy and oil-pulling are the only things that make her feel healthy.

My cousin has an opioid addiction and her Dad died during chemo. She was already very crunchy and into alternative medicine, but she pretty much dove headfirst into 100% natural treatments after those. She doesn't trust dentists or doctors and says she feels good and wants to continue feeling good. I don't really know what to do about it.

Have her make you her beneficiary on her life insurance policy?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Wait is the dentist suggesting ancient humans gargled with olive oil?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

She was already very crunchy and into alternative medicine,
What does "crunchy" mean in this context? I've never seen it before, but it sounds like it means "new age", or into lots of woo.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Nocheez posted:

What does "crunchy" mean in this context? I've never seen it before, but it sounds like it means "new age", or into lots of woo.

It's a gag on granola. I've heard it as a joke about their hair too, since they tend not to like shampoo with chemicals in it. Someone really strongly into alternative medicine, conservation, environmentalism.

Urban dictionary has it: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crunchy

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Krispy Kareem posted:

Her only hope would be if the doctor claimed to be in her insurance network - but it sounds like she paid in full and then submitted her own claims.

In which case the network status of the doctor is not very relevant.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Moneyball posted:

-Pay the minimum forever
-Never get married

Option 4:
Marry into wealth

That's historically been the best investment

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Struensee posted:

In other words, she was found out. What happens if they don't find out? She never tells them?

She would have kept going. She looks dishonest because she is. Also retarded for trying to get away with it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Trillian posted:

During the holidays there's a mall near here that I guess pays the police to sit on horses at the entrance to the parking lot... uh... not... doing anything? Like I never saw them move and the horse had accumulated a little poo poo pile and looked super bored and I'm not sure what they'd even be able to do since it wasn't near the entrance (for tackling people on foot) and I don't think the horse would do much against a car leaving the parking lot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Option 4:
Marry into wealth

That's historically been the best investment

I can't remember if I was linked by this thread, or by searching for personal finance advice, but this one guy on youtube has a few videos about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXIqtVBZfns For example.

Sometimes he has a point, and even insightful advice at times, but his general tone screams basement dwelling misogynist with nice guy syndrome who is constantly thinking "vapid cunts!"

But here he is talking about girls who own horses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBKA42E3yKc

• Locked thread