Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=13441&d=278913&f=MO

For all those people doing some Spirit speculation

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I've been running a more tempo-y version of UW Spirits (in part because I don't have vials) to pretty good success at my local shop, though admittedly this is in like 6-8 man events. The set of spirits from the new Innistrad are very real cards and if you ever get two copies of Drogskol Captain onto the battlefield at the same time then it's almost certainly GG.

One thing I like about the deck vs something like Merfolk is that all the creatures come with evasion built in, so you can almost always attack and pressure your opponents life total even if you don't have the biggest body on the board instead of being stuck waiting for a lord to come out and give your dorks islandwalk, and you have a ton of cute ways to fizzle spot removal so its much harder for your opponent to focus down your best creatures.

Phantasmal Image is primarily in the list as extra copies of Drogskol Captain, but sometimes it enables hilarious plays like casting Ojutai's Command mid combat to bring back Phantasmal Image as a copy of their attacking Etched Champion (while also drawing a card).

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 9, 2016

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Got 3rd at an IQ yesterday with GW hatebears. Happy but also frustrated, the guy I lost to in top 4 was someone I beat in rounds and the rest of the top 4 were winnable matchups. Just happens sometimes.

Also there was discussion before about trying Thalia, Heretic Cathar in bears so I tested it a bit before the IQ. It just doesn't feel... proactive enough? For a 3 mana card it just gets killed too easy and I was much, much happier with an Aven Mindcensor instead. In 2 games against a Jeskai player Mindcensor cost him 7 lands.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

In 2 games against a Jeskai player Mindcensor cost him 7 lands.

WotC keeps this card unbanned but I can't have something simple like Frantic Search? Pretty hosed up

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I've literally never had Mindcensor snipe a land.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

I've literally never had Mindcensor snipe a land.

I've done it quite a lot. I quit playing bears for a long time and decided to give it a shot this weekend and only played 1 mindcensor and I'm glad I did. Had about a 50% success rate of opponents wasting a fetch in games where I played it, but I played merfolk twice so I boarded it out in the first 5 rounds. I'm also playing the 4 flickerwisp/4 resto angel version so it was easier to protect it.

Also played a singleton Selfless Spirit and the card had a really high performance rating for me.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

since there isn't twin running around anymore i took spellskite out of the main in elves and replaced it with a selfless spirit and it has been absolutely nuts.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I bought the last cards for UW Spirits yesterday. Now I just need everything to show up in the mail.

Including the foil Rattlechains from Russia. :negative:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I bought the last cards for UW Spirits yesterday. Now I just need everything to show up in the mail.

Including the foil Rattlechains from Russia. :negative:

Good man.

I'm trying out a 5 color Pyromancer list with Leovold and new Thalia. It seems marginally promising. Not sure it's actually good (it isn't) but it's really really fun. After 3 years of miracles straight I'm getting bored of counterbalance.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

Good man.

It's the first halfway competitive deck I've ever actually wanted to play in modern so hopefully it turns out to be real. Is there any kind of concensus on UW vs. Bant? UW seems like the much more common build.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

L0cke17 posted:

Good man.

I'm trying out a 5 color Pyromancer list with Leovold and new Thalia. It seems marginally promising. Not sure it's actually good (it isn't) but it's really really fun. After 3 years of miracles straight I'm getting bored of counterbalance.

When I get tired of miracles I switch to Lands.

Make a 20/20... Attack you for 20 is just different enough to be cathartic.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

It's the first halfway competitive deck I've ever actually wanted to play in modern so hopefully it turns out to be real. Is there any kind of concensus on UW vs. Bant? UW seems like the much more common build.

I dont know poo poo about modern. I usually just play mill when I have to play it. I stole the list from some other goon in here I think, or maybe some GP or something? I was most excited about russian cards. Theyre so pretty

Errant Gin Monks posted:

When I get tired of miracles I switch to Lands.

Make a 20/20... Attack you for 20 is just different enough to be cathartic.

I sold my depths a while back. I didnt see myself ever actually making marit lage again. I mostly just want to be casting young pyromancer when Im not on terminus and co. Maybe I should put Junk back together though. Casting knight of the reliquary again seems sweet.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

I think it's too new and relatively unproven for there to be a general consensus. It's basically less lands and vials vs CoCo and sideboard options. If tribal spirits doesn't work out you can also try UW hatebears, uses some of the same cards but no tribal stuff.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

L0cke17 posted:

I dont know poo poo about modern. I usually just play mill when I have to play it. I stole the list from some other goon in here I think, or maybe some GP or something? I was most excited about russian cards. Theyre so pretty

I sold my depths a while back. I didnt see myself ever actually making marit lage again. I mostly just want to be casting young pyromancer when Im not on terminus and co. Maybe I should put Junk back together though. Casting knight of the reliquary again seems sweet.

Casting young peezy is the noblest of goals in all formats.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

Ohhhh bubby, have I got some things to show you.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

Ohhhh bubby, have I got some things to show you.

Your ebay sales after lodestone got restricted?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Pontius Pilate posted:

:drat:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

It was a cash sale :colbert:

Edit:
Death and Taxes
Blue Tron

I've also got a bunch of cards in the mail. Off the top of my head, the Snapcasters, All is Dust, a 2nd Eldrazi Wish, New'mrakul if it ever actually shows up which I don't think it will at this point, Canonists, a set of Russian FNM Paths, a 2nd new Thalia, plus 2 foil Rattlechains. Once all that shows up the only thing I'll need for Tron is 7 more Russian foil TSP 289 Islands and another $30 Hurkyl's or 2 and 3 $20 Leyline of Sanctity. :suicide:

I guess I could buy the $500 foil on ebay.

I'm hoping to be able to get to Champs in October so I can sell all of my other stuff and hopefully find most of what I'm missing. Anyone else going?

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 12, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I should be there for some unpowered vintage.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

:holymoley:

i will not be at champs because i bought a house instead of power

e: and even if i did have my power finished off I'd still be playing a horrible deck

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I'm hoping to be able to get to Champs in October so I can sell all of my other stuff and hopefully find most of what I'm missing. Anyone else going?

Sweet cards! I was going to go to champs, but Im spending the money on a trip with my fiance instead. Especially since I could only borrow dredge.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Someone loan me vintage drdge

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

pitch dredge or regular dredge

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
X-post from the main thread: Zendikar Expeditions concept becoming re-occurring feature in future blocks, re-named "Masterpieces" and themed specifically for that block. In case your decks weren't blinged out enough.

Kaladesh Inventions spoiler, note that Aether Revolt will have its own set similar to BFZ/OGW so don't panic that only 3/5 Swords are here.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 13, 2016

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

C-Euro posted:

X-post from the main thread: Zendikar Expeditions concept becoming re-occurring feature in future blocks, re-named "Masterpieces" and themed specifically for that block. In case your decks weren't blinged out enough.

Kaladesh Inventions spoiler, not that Aether Revolt will have its own set similar to BFZ/OGW so don't panic that only 3/5 Swords are here.

If they weren't foil some of them are almost pretty. But foils are gross.

I'd much rather the expeditions instead of being old cards in new borders be new cards in old borders. That would make then actually match the typical eternal players collection .

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

pitch dredge or regular dredge

Beggars can't be choosers

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

Beggars can't be choosers

Heh, my friend offered me the choice. He has the cards for every variant, including the one that boards into depths combo.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

L0cke17 posted:

Heh, my friend offered me the choice. He has the cards for every variant, including the one that boards into depths combo.

I haven't had a chance to play that yet with the funky SB. We played a proxy league for a bit and I loved regular dredge. I just can't get my hands on Bazaars for Eternal Weekend.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 13, 2016

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

I haven't had a chance to play that yet with the funky SB. We played a proxy league for a bit and I loved regular dredge. I just can't get my hands on Bazaars for Eternal Weekend.

It's not good. The depths sideboard plan. Just play whatever Sullivan brophy is playing, because his list is almost certainly correct.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the depth sideboard owns actually since it dodges all of their hate

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

the depth sideboard owns actually since it dodges all of their hate

I'm aware of that, but it's often too slow to actually win a goldfish vs any reasonable vintage hand.

I much prefer the 15 card sideboard of anti-hate you get to bring in whatever directly counters their plan.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i prefer to not cast spells when playing dredge and using my draw 2 every turn to find what i need

though i wouldn't play the Dark depths version in non-pitch dredge since the therapies and countermagic give you a bunch of time. vengeful pharaoh is also great since it is still effective under the most common hate, Cage

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

i prefer to not cast spells when playing dredge and using my draw 2 every turn to find what i need

though i wouldn't play the Dark depths version in non-pitch dredge since the therapies and countermagic give you a bunch of time. vengeful pharaoh is also great since it is still effective under the most common hate, Cage

So what you're saying is you would rather not cast spells in dredge, but you would only play depths in the dredge list that casts the most spells?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'm not familiar with the pitch version.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

I'm not familiar with the pitch version.

It is worse, in general in my opinion. It has 4 force 4 misstep 4 mind break trap and usually prized amalgam to add more blue to the deck. It generally eschews dread return and the worse dredgers to make room. It's slightly less consistent to have some disruption.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

So what you're saying is you would rather not cast spells in dredge, but you would only play depths in the dredge list that casts the most spells?

I mean I knew you were going to be willfully obtuse because you're a loving magic player so i should have said I am not in the business of paying mana to cast spells in dredge

i've learned my lesson

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
How many Rhinos in Junk? I'm running 23 land + 3 Hierarchs. I've got 3 in the list right now.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
current mission is to cut elfball lands to 75 cards with 3x eldritch evolution, maindeck taiga, 2x trop, Leovold, Magus of the moon, KoTR, Titania.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

How many Rhinos in Junk? I'm running 23 land + 3 Hierarchs. I've got 3 in the list right now.

I've been liking 3 Rhinos and 1 Kalitas. Im still on 24 land and 0 nobles though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ThePeavstenator posted:

2-4. Kind of a preference thing. I personally like 3 myself, a lot of decks really struggle to deal with rhino.